Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a blanket any suggestions?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Looking for a blanket any suggestions?
on: October 20, 2013, 09:30:04 PM
As some of you know my wife is in a wheelchair, and well the chilly weather is coming in, and around here the wind is nasty! She made it through last winter but with all going on I think she needs something better. I was thinking of maybe a heavy military wool blanket, but someone also reminded me of a stadium blanket, but only one thing, in order to fit it across her lap it's gotta be folded in half so it doesn't drag or get cough in the wheels, so in order to use it in any windy wet weather the fleece side would be on the inside, and the weather side would also be agents her legs and not the fleece, so any other ideas?
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Looking for a blanket any suggestions?
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:01:25 PM
my classmate is in a wheelchair, and he is looking at buying one of these.

I do not know much about it, but the concept is good

If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:09:13 PM
I'd go for a wool military blanket, loads on ebay...cheap & hard wearing :tu:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:18:23 PM
How good are they? I know they have like 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, or even the 100% wool ones, of course the higher the % the higher the price. But how good is a simple cheap 70/30% come to the wind and drizzle? JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:42 PM
How good are they? I know they have like 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, or even the 100% wool ones, of course the higher the % the higher the price. But how good is a simple cheap 70/30% come to the wind and drizzle? JR

I've never used one in drizzle :think: but the ones I have were bought by my parents in the 70's when I was a baby so that should tell you about the quality ;)

From what I can gather via a thread on another forum the Dutch army ones are considered the best...I'd go for an 80/20 blend myself :tu:

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 11:04:02 PM

I've never used one in drizzle :think: but the ones I have were bought by my parents in the 70's when I was a baby so that should tell you about the quality ;)

From what I can gather via a thread on another forum the Dutch army ones are considered the best...I'd go for an 80/20 blend myself :tu:
Thanks, ill keep my eye open for something of that number, JR

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:11:14 PM
Just been reading the thread on the other forum and apparently you can get Belgian ones that are 100% wool...the good thing about wool is it's fire resistance compared to modern fleece blankets ;)

EDIT...check out this Swiss Army blanket not cheap but it is 100% wool :salute:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/original-NOS-new-old-stock-swiss-army-blanket-/171151559051?pt=US_Blankets_and_Throws&hash=item27d96d898b
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:18:32 PM by Dr Gonzo »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:58:28 PM
Just been reading the thread on the other forum and apparently you can get Belgian ones that are 100% wool...the good thing about wool is it's fire resistance compared to modern fleece blankets ;)

EDIT...check out this Swiss Army blanket not cheap but it is 100% wool :salute:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/original-NOS-new-old-stock-swiss-army-blanket-/171151559051?pt=US_Blankets_and_Throws&hash=item27d96d898b
Yeah thats pretty much it, but a little out of my price range, I'm guessing the higher the % is the better! cause the higher the price goes.. JR

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:28:14 AM
What about sleeping bags? you have a big variety of models on many price ranges and for that use most of them, even the cheap ones, are good enough because they are all multi layered. If it gets really cold she can put it on her legs closed and bend the upper part on top of it that would give a very good protection without the risk of having a piece of blanket laying around. Some have the feet part open as an option too. Then if you go inside they are easy to pack in a small bag and carry them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:31:16 AM by RamoN »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:38:39 AM
What about sleeping bags? you have a big variety of models on many price ranges and for that use most of them, even the cheap ones, are good enough because they are all multi layered. If it gets really cold she can put it on her legs closed and bend the upper part on top of it that would give a very good protection without the risk of having a piece of blanket laying around. Some have the feet part open as an option too. Then if you go inside they are easy to pack in a small bag and carry them.
Good idea, I'll have to keep an eye out, I'll tell you what would be great, one of the display models just enough to cover half way, but I don't know if it would be wide enough,, JR

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:44:27 AM
If you think the sleeping bag wouldn't be wide enough (I'm not sure if I understood that corrrectly) you can buy two of the same ones and connect them to one big one I think. :think:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:51:50 AM
If you think the sleeping bag wouldn't be wide enough (I'm not sure if I understood that corrrectly) you can buy two of the same ones and connect them to one big one I think. :think:
I meant being a display model :wait: or else that would be pretty good, or even a "J" shaped or hook like blanket or of something of that nature.. JR

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 01:05:23 AM
Display sleeping bags. :shrug: Now you have me even more confused but I guess I'm not used to talking about sleeping bags and blankets in english so it might be a language thing. :)

Never mind.

But I did think of something, those blankets with arms. Would that be any good?

http://gizmodo.com/5190557/ultimate-battle-the-snuggie-vs-slanket-vs-freedom-blanket-vs-blankoat

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:00:02 AM
Display sleeping bags. :shrug: Now you have me even more confused but I guess I'm not used to talking about sleeping bags and blankets in english so it might be a language thing. :)

Never mind.

But I did think of something, those blankets with arms. Would that be any good?

http://gizmodo.com/5190557/ultimate-battle-the-snuggie-vs-slanket-vs-freedom-blanket-vs-blankoat
:rofl: the display, normally a small model of the original item, lol like on here http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/05/21/mini-sleeping-bags/ anyway, I have one of those blankets with the arms, there ok for around the house, until you have to get up, then your back all get cold.. JR

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 02:06:19 AM
:D

Never saw those here. Baby sleeping bags. :rofl: They usually just hang the full sized ones from the rack at local stores. Thanks for the link. :salute:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 02:27:43 AM

Never saw those here. Baby sleeping bags. :rofl: They usually just hang the full sized ones from the rack at local stores. Thanks for the link. :salute:
Yeah, kinda dumb if you ask me, why spend the extra$$ to make something someone can never use, and just throw it away, rather then just use the real thing and then just sell the display for like half price? Something's ill jut never understand.. JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 12:43:31 AM
For those of you who are curious, I did get a wool blanket, much better then what she used before, but I did come up with something for dirt cheap! A moving blanket! thick, right size, and under $5! So here's what I did, I took the wool blanket I got laid it out on the table laid the moving blanket over top of it and folded it to match the size of the other. I used a stitching awl to sew them together, never used it before but worked great! Here are a few pics, I have a couple more but for some reason photebucket is giving me a problem and won't let me post? :rant: but I did finish it, just can't post the pics of it, came out nice, and will probably put it to use by the end of the week to go shopping,, JR

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:52:00 PM
Looks good. :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:23:30 PM
Looks good. :tu:
Thanks enki_ck, ah look now it posts,, JR

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 10:55:55 PM

I always get a kick out of the Display (Mini) tents they have at local stores. I don't know why, but I wan't one.

Pictures are from the net.

I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:34 PM
Now I want one too. :ahhh

Those look cute. :dd:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 12:31:21 AM
my wife has been trying to 'obtain' one of those tents for a few years now. no shops will 'sell' her one, apparently they get sent back to the tent company  :rant:
for some reason she wants it for our dog  :dwts: (to 'play in' not live out side BTW)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:50 PM
Nice job on the blanket mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
would a snuggie work?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 04:15:30 PM
would a snuggie work?
Not a bad idea, but there more for upper body and wind would rip right through them! But still good idea, thanks! She likes the one I made, she's only used it a couple times due to the freaking weather, the sidewalks aren't cleaned off so she's limited to get around.. JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 04:32:42 PM
That looks like a good solution. I hope this winter leaves us soon. Yesterday, I woke up to -34 C weather.  :ahhh
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 05:36:20 PM
That looks like a good solution. I hope this winter leaves us soon. Yesterday, I woke up to -34 C weather.  :ahhh
Yeah, I'd like this winter to be over,, but it's not the temp that bothers me, it's this freaking wind! The other day we were down in the negatives, but that wind, brr! I think my outdoor thermometer is wrong though, it's saying it's 42F out, and no it's not in the sun, and I just changed the battery yesterday cause it wasn't reading.. JR

us Offline Cogito

Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:37 PM
I know zippo and this company called johnny make pocket warmers, maybe you could add some pockets in the blanket to hold the pocket warmers.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 06:25:49 PM
I know zippo and this company called johnny make pocket warmers, maybe you could add some pockets in the blanket to hold the pocket warmers.
Yeah I got one of those, unfortunately the wife needs a hand to control the chair, so the one stays warm while the other freezes, now if the chair had duel controls and she could switch then that would so worth it! Still a good idea, I might think of putting one in just to have, or get those battery warmed gloves.. JR

us Offline Cogito

Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 03:08:19 AM
If it's about the hands only then how about skiing/snowboarding gloves, they are very warm and wind/waterproof.  I don't know too much about the cost however.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%