Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The 30-Day Rebar Challenge!

Jothra · 317 · 37877

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Re: The 30-Day Rebar Challenge!
Reply #210 on: November 25, 2013, 02:25:08 AM
Leatherman

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #211 on: November 25, 2013, 02:28:14 AM
Now look what you've started...  >:D

:rofl:
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #212 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:16 AM
 >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #213 on: November 25, 2013, 08:46:03 AM
 :rofl: :rofl:

I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #214 on: December 09, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
Hope everything's going ok Jothra :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #215 on: December 09, 2013, 03:34:47 PM
I was beginning to wonder about this thread a couple days ago.  I assume Jothra must just be very busy and will have a mega update when time allows :tu:
K-Tibbs

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #216 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:31 PM
he could be trapped somewhere  :_c: with no way of amputating his........... hang on , that was a film  :ahhh

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #217 on: March 24, 2014, 12:38:51 AM
I just noticed jothra never finished this.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #218 on: March 24, 2014, 03:06:50 AM
Long story short, I pushed myself too close to the very edge of what I can handle, and pulled back from everything I could survive without before I ruined everything.

It worked, as evidenced by my return to MTO.

If the Rebar Challenge topic interests you, keep an eye out. I'm just about ready to break out the (figurative) hammer and tongs*.

*May not be figurative. 

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #219 on: March 24, 2014, 03:15:47 AM
Long story short, I pushed myself too close to the very edge of what I can handle, and pulled back from everything I could survive without before I ruined everything.

It worked, as evidenced by my return to MTO.

If the Rebar Challenge topic interests you, keep an eye out. I'm just about ready to break out the (figurative) hammer and tongs*.

*May not be figurative. 
From what I've read of your reviews vice grips and a jackhammer would't suprise me.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #220 on: March 24, 2014, 05:49:25 PM
 :woohoo: he's alive :woohoo:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #221 on: March 24, 2014, 05:54:30 PM

:woohoo:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #222 on: March 25, 2014, 01:29:21 AM

:woohoo:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

:cheers:
Leatherman

england Offline macabee

Reply #224 on: April 16, 2014, 02:36:10 PM
The challenge should be interesting. I have to say that my Rebar is my EDC, it took over from my PST II the only thing missing are the scissors, I suppose thats why I have the Micra in my pocket! :multi:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline sawman

Reply #225 on: April 16, 2014, 11:10:20 PM
The challenge should be interesting. I have to say that my Rebar is my EDC, it took over from my PST II the only thing missing are the scissors, I suppose thats why I have the Micra in my pocket! :multi:
That's how I feel about it, and I carry either a Micra, Style CS or soon, a PS4. I think it's best to have the scissors in a separate tool anyhow.
SAW

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #226 on: April 18, 2014, 09:57:39 AM
Val is back in my pocket. The demonstration can now commence. First up for our much delayed Day 16? Val versus a mountain!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #227 on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:54 AM
That's how I feel about it, and I carry either a Micra, Style CS or soon, a PS4. I think it's best to have the scissors in a separate tool anyhow.

I think you will like the PS4.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #228 on: April 23, 2014, 02:19:07 AM

I think you will like the PS4.  :tu:

IMHO best keychain tool.
Leatherman

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #229 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:35 AM
I'm back in-province! I'll bet you didn't know I was visiting beautiful (and unbelievably flat) Saskatchewan. Neither did I! Anyway, finally, onwards!

Thursday marked the long overdue Day 16. An old friend was on her way to visit Jothra World Headquarters to stage an attempt on a mountain (if, as you will soon read, we could find said mountain), and it was time to get ready. Unfortunately my camera was suffering from a User Error, so bear with me.

I needed to prep my scrambling bag (a Deuter AC Lite 22, in case anyone's wondering), so it was time for the bushwhacker's best friend...idiot strings! I threw some bright yellow string on everything that wasn't tied down...and tied it down. Easy work for a Leatherman Rebar's blade? Oh my, yes.

I also had to trim the new insoles for my Irish Setters. Another okay knife task, though I would rather have used scissors. The blade worked, though. It's a pretty awesome blade, all told.

This led straight into Day 17, which got a bit more intensive. The hike itself ("we won't need our cellphones let's leave them in the car oh no those were our only cameras geniuses") involved some food prep (cutting Swiss cheese), some minor first aid (cutting tape to seal a cool cut I reopened on my thumb), and (I really wish a had a picture of this) cutting off a bunch of old, scrappy pieces of barbed wire. Without getting too deeply into my intense hatred of barbed wire, this particular fence was old, rusty, and sticking horrible tendrils out over the trail up the ridge we found when -- and I'm not making this up -- we were unable to find our target mountain (I think it was out for coffee). Since the fence was no longer functional anyway, Val (he said, reminding everyone what the tool's name is) had no qualms snipping the offending mess until it no longer posed a threat to anyone.

In case any of my MTO friends are unsure, it turns out Rebar cutters have absolutely no trouble at all cutting barbed wire. None. It's actually kind of terrifying, like having a Dromaeosaurus albertensis folded up in your pocket. Rarr!

Days 16 and 17!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #230 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:32 AM
Due to an intensive two days of driving, days 18 and 19 ended up being basically multitool free. Therefore, in the name of fairness, our true Day 18 falls on Monday, when we find our intrepid Rebar building shelves!

Someone (hint: it's me!) miscalculated the size of his DVD collection in September, and just finally got around to picking up more shelving for his months-old new place. Ikea? Don't mind if I do! But first, an establishing shot:

The mighty Val surveys her domain while casually stabbing a smoked gouda right in the gouda-hole.

All three shelving boxes came with a serious-looking No Knives, Foo'! label, which Val took to heart, and promptly circumvented by using a different tool:

I wasn't sure this would work as well as it does with a sharpened Wenger can opener, but it worked really well, and wasn't deep enough to scratch my new faux-birch veneer.

Val also didn't hesitate for a moment when it came time to screw in some weird partially-threaded pin-things. They seemed a little like Phillips heads, but I actually had better luck with the small slot driver:

See? Val's an excellent driver.

Then it was time to hammer in some short wood pegs, and Val rolled her eyes, because by now we all know what's coming:

Actually, despite the sweet motion blur in this shot, it was pretty easy hammering.

Then the Phillips did its thing, and tightened some weird fasteners that both attach to the weird partially-threaded pins and tighten the entire shelf at the same time. Good job, Phillips!

Seriously, I should have let Val drive me back from Saskatchewan! She's so good at it!

Finally, it was time to put in some finishing nails. These are normally really easy to hammer in, but not when you use the least efficient tool for the job:

After several of these nails there is not so much as a new scratch on Val, but each nail took approximately 900 hits to sink.

Did I say finally? The nails would have been the last step, except someone forgot to mark all of his shelf locations, and put a nail in the middle of nowhere! What to do?

That to do!

So, it turns out an entire Ikea shelf can totally go together with nothing but a Leatherman Rebar and a person with too much time on his hands in the evening. This is something the Rebar has in common with the Victorinox Outrider, though the Rebar has pliers in case of an Emergency Nail Removing Situation.

Well done, Val! Go sleep off the rest of your Day 18!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #231 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:48 PM
Good post.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #232 on: April 23, 2014, 03:50:20 PM
Great to see you and Val back in action Jothra :tu:
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #233 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Great posts mate. :tu:

though perhaps you should have let Val do the navigating?  She seems to be good at everything else.  ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

Reply #234 on: May 02, 2014, 05:42:47 PM

I think you will like the PS4:tu:
Well, as it turns out I can't use it. The file is no good for fingernails so this tool got retired into the "collection". Still glad I bought it, it's an interesting tool to have.
SAW

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #235 on: May 04, 2014, 10:18:31 AM
Good challenge.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #236 on: May 07, 2014, 01:57:21 AM

Well, as it turns out I can't use it. The file is no good for fingernails so this tool got retired into the "collection". Still glad I bought it, it's an interesting tool to have.

The PS4 is the best! And shouldn't you be carrying a Rambler? :pok:
Leatherman

us Offline sawman

Reply #237 on: May 07, 2014, 02:31:44 PM

The PS4 is the best! And shouldn't you be carrying a Rambler? :pok:
I still carry the Rambler, it's on my keys as always :)
SAW

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #238 on: May 09, 2014, 06:29:55 PM
:popcorn:

I enjoy reading about someone else abusing there tools.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #239 on: October 14, 2014, 05:08:28 PM

I was on the fence about getting a Rebar but now reading all this gives me the thought that Rebars are solid tanks that can handle many tasks  :tu:.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD