Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Case and sort of review of Nite Ize Clip Case Plus

Aloha · 12 · 3175

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
New Case and sort of review of Nite Ize Clip Case Plus
on: October 23, 2013, 02:06:42 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to carry my Swiss tool since the sheath it came in wasn't to my liking.  I didn't like how I couldn't carry more items than just the L wrench and bits and the corkscrew/ mini driver ( I have a plus kit ).  I also didn’t like that it doesn’t have a pocket clip. 
 I like the LM nylon sheath and tried using it but it was only ok as the Swiss tool with pliers deployed didn't fit well enough for me. I thought about getting a LM Surge nylon sheath and Detron was kind enough to send me pictures but that didn't look too promising.  I’ve toyed with the idea of a Skinth for a while and again Detron recently received his 2XL and snapped some pictures with the Swiss tool inside and again I was left feeling eh.... 
My needs are as follows;
•   Swiss tool needs to fit in sheath pliers deployed ( like my wave in the LM sheath )
•   I'd like to carry additional items, Pen, light, bits ( either Vic ratchet and bits or my other set ), paper & biz cards, bit extender, zip ties and small first aid kit.
•   Belt Clip for easy on and off
I have found my solution and not at the expense of a HUGE sheath, it’s the Nite Ize Clip Case Plus.  This was found at the flea market for $5US and well worth it.  The case itself has a main compartment and just behind that an elastic rear space, in front of the main space is pocket that is divided into two parts, and in front of that is a small space in front of the Velcro.  the rear of the case has a pocket just in front of the clip.  The sides each have a closed bottom elastic pocket so items are very secure and while one side has a small loop the other a much larger loop.  There is a wide Velcro surface so the case closes securely and tightly. 
Now admittedly my case all loaded is heavy but so is my LM sheath though having much less.  I like having my small FAK on my person and biz cards at the ready ( I gave out 2 very quickly recently ) I normally have get my wallet out to do this.  The clip is great and while getting it off is a bit fussy its holds great and can “lock” in North/W/E/S positions.  So far I’m on day 2 and while I have it loaded up heavy I can always adjust the carry to suit my day to lighten it or even add a SAK by taking out the bit driver or slipping it under the elastic loops on the side. It seems the options are really limitless as I tend to carry situational tools rather than a set EDC for work.  I like having certain items but I feel with this case I can change out the tools very easily and with all the pockets carry them comfortably.   
Over all I’m very happy with this case and the materials seem to be pretty rugged so I’m sure it'll last. I appreciate all the pockets and space I have to play with when I’m deciding what to carry and I love the clip.
The first 6 pics are unloaded. 
The small loop was great at holding my ear buds, the elastic closed bottom pocket is a step above the LM one.  The rear pocket is a smart use of space and holds my biz cards plus some paper and is also closed at the bottom.  The main pocket is open at the bottom corners but my Swiss tool and other tool will not fall out, there is also a pen loop that I failed to get into the shot. 
The 7th picture of the contents is what I carried today as far as tools but the other items will be standard like mini pen/sharpie, paper, magnet is approx. size of my biz cards, small light, zip tie, FAK ( q tips are for applying antibiotic ).
I’ve included pics of it loaded and with all that I still have room to spare however it may be a bit too heavy with much more.  The last 2 pics is it compared to my LM wave sheath.
001.JPG
* 001.JPG (Filesize: 105.13 KB)
002.JPG
* 002.JPG (Filesize: 101.77 KB)
003.JPG
* 003.JPG (Filesize: 97.49 KB)
004.JPG
* 004.JPG (Filesize: 110.92 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New Case and sort of review of Nite Ize Clip Case Plus
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:43 AM
yes I like to carry a lot of stuff  :whistle:
006.JPG
* 006.JPG (Filesize: 88.72 KB)
007.JPG
* 007.JPG (Filesize: 99.04 KB)
008.JPG
* 008.JPG (Filesize: 101.61 KB)
009.JPG
* 009.JPG (Filesize: 121.72 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:08:52 AM
im sure my belt hates me  :rofl:
010.JPG
* 010.JPG (Filesize: 92.31 KB)
011.JPG
* 011.JPG (Filesize: 103.47 KB)
012.JPG
* 012.JPG (Filesize: 96.49 KB)
013.JPG
* 013.JPG (Filesize: 85.47 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:21 AM
it really isn't much bigger than my LM sheath tho its heavier since I have more items in it. 
014.JPG
* 014.JPG (Filesize: 96.09 KB)
015.JPG
* 015.JPG (Filesize: 90.93 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Offline rickboone

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:05:53 AM
I like that one. I have a ni case that had open areas at the bottom. Defeats the purpose. Going to seek this one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:58:23 AM
Nice write-up mate, cracking good deal as well.  For me that looks way more than I'd be happy hanging off my belt, but if it works for you that's great. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 04:40:55 PM
I like that one. I have a ni case that had open areas at the bottom. Defeats the purpose. Going to seek this one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

the main space does have the open areas at the corners but for what I carry I have no issues with anything falling though.  all other pockets are closed at the bottom with the exception of the elastic side loops.  I saw this case for $11 plus shipping on amazon. 
003.JPG
* 003.JPG (Filesize: 99.97 KB)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:52:25 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:43:40 PM
Nice write-up mate, cracking good deal as well.  For me that looks way more than I'd be happy hanging off my belt, but if it works for you that's great. :tu:

thank you,

this fatty gets hung off a work belt when loaded like pics.  I tried it on my regular belt and the top rotates with so much in it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 06:36:47 PM
Follow up to my "review"

I have been using this case for work everyday and I love it.  The case is holding up very well despite how stuffed I currently have it.  I have since put a Surge and cheap L wrench with 2 sets of 1/4 in bits in.  I have added a few things and removed a few but this Niteize case keeps up with it all.  I hang this bad boy off a work belt and I feel like I have a mini tool bag with me at the ready.  I like it so much that I got a smaller Niteize case for my SwissChamp/Led Lenser/Kershaw Leek that works great as well. 

I only wish the clip would be closer to the case but I understand the bulk given how it operates.  It does stick out a bit more than I'd like but this isn't a deal breaker for me at all.   
IMG_3076.JPG
* IMG_3076.JPG (Filesize: 220.72 KB)
IMG_3086.jpg
* IMG_3086.jpg (Filesize: 236.9 KB)
IMG_3089.jpg
* IMG_3089.jpg (Filesize: 199.86 KB)
IMG_3088.jpg
* IMG_3088.jpg (Filesize: 189.07 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 02:20:19 AM
Coming up on a year for this case.  I have re arraigned this darn case so many times and I just can't get it to where I want it.  It has so much space that I originally stuffed it full as a result.   I carry my MT separately as a result of the case rotating when too full.  I will take out the Deluxe Tinker and put in my Crunch when I feel I might need it.  There are 4 "stops", 12 o'clock, 3o'clock, 6o'clock, 9o'clock which are good enough to hold the case where you put it, so long as it isnt too full. 

It has held up quite well considering I carry it on my work belt which gets whacked against everything.  This case has become my little rescue kit.  I have no complaint on the retention of the side elastic tubes nor the velcro closure.  They get repeated usage and they are not worse for ware.  There is a small abrasion on the front near the logo but it has no affect on the case. 

I do wish the belt clip was not so bulky but I cannot complain because once its on, its on.  I love all the interior space and the space behind the pocket clip.  I dont for see this case giving up anytime soon so for now I continue to give it

:2tu:
IMG_4373.jpg
* IMG_4373.jpg (Filesize: 283.97 KB)
IMG_4377.jpg
* IMG_4377.jpg (Filesize: 230.47 KB)
IMG_4374.jpg
* IMG_4374.jpg (Filesize: 219.16 KB)
IMG_4376.JPG
* IMG_4376.JPG (Filesize: 272.49 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 02:08:14 PM
  ... I do wish the belt clip was not so bulky but I cannot complain because once its on, its on.  ...

I'm not a fan of the rotating clip either because it sticks out so far and my case rotated when I didn't want it to.    I eventually super glued the clip so it no longer rotates.

Nite Ize used to make a few similar cases designed for multitool/EDC type carry, but they discontinued them to concentrate on cell phone cases instead.

One example of a discontinued model is the NMP-03-01 shown here:

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-nite-ize-nmp-03-01-multi-pock-its-flashlight-utility-holster.jpg

Another example is shown in this video, but the owner has shortened the original case which was quite long:

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 03:13:39 PM
I'm sure the cell phone case market is bigger for them.  I've seen the video before and thats not a bad case at all.  I got this case because the price and because it looked like it would meet my needs and at almost a year now I still really like the build quality and storage options. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD