Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool

Yadda · 264 · 47423

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Plierench the Ultimate Collector's Multitool
Reply #180 on: January 30, 2017, 01:00:07 AM
I've been looking at one as something I would use regularly and keep in the plier pocket of my carpenter's jeans.  Being better at being used as a wrench than my old Vise Grips (which, like LMS always round off the heads of fasteners) and locking really appeals to me.  Used ones (without the extra jaws) are really cheap.

Think it would stand up to farm use? 

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #181 on: January 30, 2017, 06:40:46 AM
I've been looking at one as something I would use regularly and keep in the plier pocket of my carpenter's jeans.  Being better at being used as a wrench than my old Vise Grips (which, like LMS always round off the heads of fasteners) and locking really appeals to me.  Used ones (without the extra jaws) are really cheap.

Think it would stand up to farm use?

Yes, the 8.5 version is heavy duty. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #182 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:07 AM
 Perform a search on the word Plierench using Google.  It may just be me, but this posted String is the first link.   :cheers:
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #183 on: March 08, 2017, 06:14:09 AM
It's not just you mate.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #184 on: March 09, 2017, 04:53:47 AM
Pretty cool to be at the top of the search list.

Offline skou

Reply #185 on: June 12, 2017, 05:24:41 AM
Okay,  I'll start out by saying I am a Plierench collector.  I have Leathermans, a SAK, lots of knockoffs, a complete set of Re:Solves and Swiss+Tech, but nothing beats the Plierench for sheer collectability.  The selling points for collecting plierenchs:
1 - Easy to locate - fleabay and other places have them all the time
2 - Affordability - any price range from $5 to $100, but most can be bought for under $20 US.
3 - Variety - With 4 different manufacturers, multiple patents, at least 4 styles, 2 sizes and multiple jaws for different tasks including plumbing, pipecutting and welding. You can't ask for more when it comes to collecting. In addition, starting in 1933, they started dating them.  You can actually see the month and year on most versions made through the early 1960's.
4. Usability - Still very useful.  Some people gripe about pinching, but they are using the tool incorrectly. The tool also locks to hold items like a vise.
5. Rarity - The A and B versions are rare.  Some are even famous.  If you could lay your hands on one of the tools that took the 1924 World Flight with documented provenance, it would be very expensive.
6. Merchandising - In addition there is the Eifel Multool - two versions one with a round hole (have only seen pictures and one with a nail puller hole.  lots of booklets and handouts and sales demos if you can find them.  There is also the extremely rare Eifel geared pivot pliers. 
7. Unique - Although there are geared pliers out there today, Knipex and Heyco in particular, they don't compare to the Plierench.
8. Continuity - The tool has been manufactured steadily since  around 1923. 

I have a modest collection.  I will take photos and start posting them this weekend.

Yadda, I've been using Plierenches, since I was about 12 years old.
(That would be 1970.)

Today, I saw a strange looking pair on FleeBay.  So, I looked here.

World Flight pair, and 26 dollars shipped.

So, had to join here and brag.

steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #186 on: June 13, 2017, 05:29:21 AM
Okay,  I'll start out by saying I am a Plierench collector.  I have Leathermans, a SAK, lots of knockoffs, a complete set of Re:Solves and Swiss+Tech, but nothing beats the Plierench for sheer collectability.  The selling points for collecting plierenchs:
2 - Affordability - any price range from $5 to $100, but most can be bought for under $20 US.
3 - Variety - With 4 different manufacturers, multiple patents, at least 4 styles, 2 sizes and multiple jaws for different tasks including plumbing, pipecutting and welding. You can't ask for more when it comes to collecting. In addition, starting in 1933, they started dating them.  You can actually see the month and year on most versions made through the early 1960's.
4. Usability - Still very useful.  Some people gripe about pinching, but they are using the tool incorrectly. The tool also locks to hold items like a vise.
5. Rarity - The A and B versions are rare.  Some are even famous.  If you could lay your hands on one of the tools that took the 1924 World Flight with documented provenance, it would be very expensive.
6. Merchandising - In addition there is the Eifel Multool - two versions one with a round hole (have only seen pictures and one with a nail puller hole.  lots of booklets and handouts and sales demos if you can find them.  There is also the extremely rare Eifel geared pivot pliers. 
7. Unique - Although there are geared pliers out there today, Knipex and Heyco in particular, they don't compare to the Plierench.

I have a modest collection.  I will take photos and start posting them this weekend.

(That would be 1970.)

steve

Welcome Steve!  The 'bay is a great place to find Plierenches.   The World Flight version is the quintessential version.  Joseph Eifel at his design and marketing best.  Later versions had more options, but they aren't as aesthetically pleasing or as heavy as the Worl Flight and earlier models. 

Do you have all the jaws?   Photos?

us Offline cody6268

Offline skou

Reply #188 on: June 16, 2017, 02:19:08 AM

(That would be 1970.)

steve

Welcome Steve!  The 'bay is a great place to find Plierenches.   The World Flight version is the quintessential version.  Joseph Eifel at his design and marketing best.  Later versions had more options, but they aren't as aesthetically pleasing or as heavy as the Worl Flight and earlier models. 

No, just the main jaw.

The World Flight, would that be the Douglas World Flight?

I think I'm the king of multi-tools.
Swiss Army (Victorinox) knife.
Shopsmith 10ER.
and Plierenches.

steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #189 on: June 16, 2017, 07:13:49 PM

(That would be 1970.)

steve

No, just the main jaw.

The World Flight, would that be the Douglas World Flight?

Shopsmith 10ER.
and Plierenches.

steve

Yep, one in the same.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_aerial_circumnavigation   :D

You certainly have some of the best examples of the most versatile multi tools.   :salute:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #190 on: June 16, 2017, 07:16:03 PM
This one appears to have a chain breaker tool on it, but I think $85 is high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plierench-Eifel-Flash-pat-good-condition-early-piece-vintage-tool-antique-/201953927427?hash=item2f05646103:g:bTYAAOSwbtVZPx24

Yeah, I saw that one too.  I agree.  It is unusual, but it isn't $85 unusual. 

Offline skou

Reply #191 on: June 17, 2017, 04:53:56 AM
Shopsmith 10ER.
and Plierenches.

steve

OK, let me enumerate.

1 Swiss Army knife.
6 Shopsmiths, 5 model 10.
one the old MkVII
Plierenches, currently mine. 3.
And 3 more that I STILL need
to send to Keith Rucker.
(Vintage Machinery dot com.)
Great site, look him up.

(let's see if my mad posting skills
are still good.  It appears that they are.)

steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #192 on: June 21, 2017, 07:04:02 PM
My latest acquisition.  1949 Plierench with modified jaws.  I'm not sure how this one was used.  It appears to be made for piercing tubing?
Plierench Entire.jpg
* Plierench Entire.jpg (Filesize: 33.84 KB)
Plierench Close Up2.jpg
* Plierench Close Up2.jpg (Filesize: 35.19 KB)

* Plierench Close Up.jpg (Filesize: 30.07 KB)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:14:56 PM by Yadda »

Offline skou

Reply #193 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:05 PM
OK, found another use for the newer models.
(Anything with straight cut gear teeth,)

Install the LONG jaw, the one that goes in
both ways.  You can use it for compressing
wheel calipers, when doing a brake job.

One heck of a lot quicker, than the C-clamp.

OK my Plierenches are NOT on display,
but in my tools, and used.

steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #194 on: July 12, 2017, 02:05:08 AM
OK, found another use for the newer models.
(Anything with straight cut gear teeth,)

Install the LONG jaw, the one that goes in
both ways.  You can use it for compressing
wheel calipers, when doing a brake job.

One heck of a lot quicker, than the C-clamp.

OK my Plierenches are NOT on display,
but in my tools, and used.

steve

Wow!

What a great use.  I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #195 on: July 23, 2017, 08:08:39 AM
Gentleman and Ladies and the rest of you guys, I give you what I consider to be the Holy Grail of plierenches.  The Eifel Geared-Pivot 1000% Plierench...and its mine! 
IMG_0315.JPG
* IMG_0315.JPG (Filesize: 178.71 KB)
IMG_0319.JPG
* IMG_0319.JPG (Filesize: 127.27 KB)

* IMG_0316.JPG (Filesize: 17.5 KB)

* IMG_0317.JPG (Filesize: 14.83 KB)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:14:01 AM by Yadda »

us Offline David

Reply #196 on: July 23, 2017, 08:31:07 AM
Saw you won it.    8)     :tu:    Glad you now have it in hand!         :woohoo:    Congrulations!!!      :hatsoff:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #197 on: July 24, 2017, 06:31:06 PM
Saw you won it.    8)     :tu:    Glad you now have it in hand!         :woohoo:    Congrulations!!!      :hatsoff:

Thanks David!   :D

Offline Mitch Garstang

• New User
Reply #198 on: August 05, 2017, 08:18:23 AM
hi, just found this site. I recently got one of these tools at a Restore for $1 its 7 1/2" long has price stamped in it of $4.50 no date and 2 Pat numbers 1181654 , 1882817 and jaws have V notch in both. wire cutter slot, screw driver on end of 1 handle  what year was mine made? its in very good cond just a bit of rust on surface that cleans off easy. what do the numbers mean 7"-45-10_8 to1

Thanks! Mitch

Offline Mitch Garstang

• New User
Reply #199 on: August 05, 2017, 08:26:04 AM

Offline Mitch Garstang

• New User
Reply #200 on: August 05, 2017, 08:30:25 AM
My latest acquisition.  1949 Plierench with modified jaws.  I'm not sure how this one was used.  It appears to be made for piercing tubing?

likely for putting a tap on refrigerator lines to connect guage hose to. as many such tools where made for the field.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #201 on: August 05, 2017, 04:42:58 PM

likely for putting a tap on refrigerator lines to connect guage hose to. as many such tools where made for the field.

I could see that.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #202 on: August 19, 2017, 07:04:15 PM
I saw a lot of 2 8 1/2s that were selling for the price of one ($20 shipped) on Ebay that was ending in an hour, so I bought them.   One's going to need some work to the spring, the other's been whacked on.  I'll likely keep one for myself, then give my granddad the other.   Got any advice on how to fix the messed up spring?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:07:09 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #203 on: August 19, 2017, 10:48:07 PM
I saw a lot of 2 8 1/2s that were selling for the price of one ($20 shipped) on Ebay that was ending in an hour, so I bought them.   One's going to need some work to the spring, the other's been whacked on.  I'll likely keep one for myself, then give my granddad the other.   Got any advice on how to fix the messed up spring?

(Image removed from quote.)

One of the many uses for plierenches is emergency hammer.   :facepalm:

I may have a diagram on how the spring is configured.  I'll check and get back to you in a few days.

Offline skou

Reply #204 on: August 27, 2017, 05:45:26 AM
hi, just found this site. I recently got one of these tools at a Restore for $1 its 7 1/2" long has price stamped in it of $4.50 no date and 2 Pat numbers 1181654 , 1882817 and jaws have V notch in both. wire cutter slot, screw driver on end of 1 handle  what year was mine made? its in very good cond just a bit of rust on surface that cleans off easy. what do the numbers mean 7"-45-10_8 to1

Thanks! Mitch

Mitch, these (7"-45-10_8 to1) numbers mean;

7"  (7 inches.) 43-10 October of 45. 8 to 1, is
the ratio of movement. 1/8 movement would
be 1 inch at the end of the handles.  The 8.5
model is 10 to 1.

steve

Offline skou

Reply #205 on: August 27, 2017, 05:54:22 AM
OK, just saw an Ebay sale that had an 8.5, and a 7
inch, with 9 jaws, (wire, pipe cutter, another wire,
large pipe, reverse, 2 small pipe, and 2 regular jaws. 
Also had the clamp fixture, as well as the pipe cutter
V piece.)

$65 at Ebay.  (Well, it WAS at Ebay.  Now on its way
to MY humble abode.)

Couldn't pass it up!

My question; will all the jaws fit in either Plierench?
(I've never had the 7 inch, in fact, never even SEEN
one.)

steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #206 on: August 27, 2017, 08:39:18 AM
OK, just saw an Ebay sale that had an 8.5, and a 7
inch, with 9 jaws, (wire, pipe cutter, another wire,
large pipe, reverse, 2 small pipe, and 2 regular jaws. 
Also had the clamp fixture, as well as the pipe cutter
V piece.)

$65 at Ebay.  (Well, it WAS at Ebay.  Now on its way
to MY humble abode.)

Couldn't pass it up!

My question; will all the jaws fit in either Plierench?
(I've never had the 7 inch, in fact, never even SEEN
one.)

steve

Nice buy! If I'm not mistaken they may be a matched set.  They were both made in 1949.  I'm not sure if the months match.

The larger jaws generally don't fit the 7 inch.  The 7 inch jaws are slightly smaller, although there is an exception. I believe the wire jaw will fit both.

Offline skou

Reply #207 on: August 28, 2017, 02:44:12 AM
I went back and looked, the only
info I saw, was pictures of the
8.5 inch model.

Well, there was the one upside
down.

steve

Offline skou

Reply #208 on: August 31, 2017, 05:47:06 AM
OK, everything showed up today.
8.5, April 1949.  7, January 1949.

Most of the extra jaws look to be
unused.

I've seen Plierenches, since I was 12.
the 7 inch one, well the only way to
describe it, is "cute."  Never seen one
before today.

I'm surprised by how well these look.
Best I've personally seen.

Now, fitting.  All of the extra jaws will
go into the 8.5 tool, and some of them
will work there.  None of the 8.5 jaws will
fit the 7 incher.  The "reverse" jaw doesn't
have that groove that lines up with the angle
grooves on the fixed jaw, when used backwards.

Over all, I'm a happy camper!

steve
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:52:50 AM by skou »

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #209 on: August 31, 2017, 01:30:58 PM
OK, everything showed up today.
8.5, April 1949.  7, January 1949.

Most of the extra jaws look to be
unused.

I've seen Plierenches, since I was 12.
the 7 inch one, well the only way to
describe it, is "cute."  Never seen one
before today.

I'm surprised by how well these look.
Best I've personally seen.

Now, fitting.  All of the extra jaws will
go into the 8.5 tool, and some of them
will work there.  None of the 8.5 jaws will
fit the 7 incher.  The "reverse" jaw doesn't
have that groove that lines up with the angle
grooves on the fixed jaw, when used backwards.

Over all, I'm a happy camper!

steve

:tu: :cheers:

Did you get a chance to look at the dates on both tools?  Are they a matched set?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:33:22 PM by Yadda »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%