Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A few old tools

Benner · 58 · 10892

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
A few old tools
on: May 13, 2008, 11:01:41 PM
Back when I had just started posting on MTO (back when I actually had a life  :D) I started a thread called "3 Old wrenches" http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2412.0.html which included a picture of 3 wrenches that my late Grandad had left me.  As I have a decent camera now, I thought I'd take a few more, better pictures of them and also a few pics of some other old tools he left me as I know there are a few members here that are interested in old tools.

Firstly, lets start with my hammer.  This looks like it has been pretty well used in it's lifetime.  One thing I find interesting are the markings on the head that look like it has "melted" in places.  If anyone has any information on the manufacturing process of these I would be keen to hear about it.  :)  I had to repair the handle the other day as the wood was rotting, hence the short handle.

Next up is one of the wrenches featured in my previous thread.  I have tried to show in the pics the markings on it, but it is quite worn so it is difficult to see.  What it says is " BRITISH MADE - KINGDICK H2414" and is entirely constructed from steel.  As it is shown in the pic, the wrench can be quickly and easily disassembled to be cleaned.

The next wrench is a comparatively small one and has proven handy on many occasions.  I have again tried to take a picture of the markings, but due to the corrosion, it is difficult to photograph.  This one is marked with " SPRINGFIELD DROP FORGING CO - SPRINGFIELD MASS U.S.A" and again can be easily dismantled by just removing 1 screw to aid cleaning.

This wrench is my favourite piece.  It is quite a brute of a tool and weighs a ton which results it in being as solid as a rock.  This has 2 pieces of wood added to the handle and as it can be seen in the pics, is marked with "COES WRENCH CO WORCESTER MASS U.S.A" on one side, and "MFD UNDER L.COES PATS STEEL" on the other side.  This really is a superbly made tool and still adjusts really smoothly.

Lastly, is an old Stanley hand drill.  These are still available today and I am sure they still look pretty much the same. This is a damn handy tool to have and I actually use it quite a lot.  It would be interesting to find out how old it could be.

I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A few old tools
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:05:58 PM
Those are really neat!  I especially like the Kingdick brand wrench--it has a really clean style to it.
- Terry

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:37:44 PM
Maybe the marks on the hammer are from the mold ??? assuming it's cast of course ???

I really like the Stanley hand drill myself, it looks very reliable and tree hugger friendly :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:41:56 PM
Those are really neat!  I especially like the Kingdick brand wrench--it has a really clean style to it.

Yes it is a pretty nice, clean smooth wrench.  Pretty comfortable to use as well.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:43:23 PM
Maybe the marks on the hammer are from the mold ??? assuming it's cast of course ???

I really like the Stanley hand drill myself, it looks very reliable and tree hugger friendly :)

I'm assuming that it's from the castings as well.  It would be interesting to know how old it is.

Those drills are pretty handy.  :)  I think everyone has used one at some point in their lives.
I'm back!!

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:48:39 PM

I'm assuming that it's from the castings as well.  It would be interesting to know how old it is.

Those drills are pretty handy.  :)  I think everyone has used one at some point in their lives.
I think most hammers were drop forged after the war (but I'm not at all sure) so It'd be at the very least 40 - 60 years old at a guess.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:58 PM
My Dad actually worked a time for Coes in Worcester. the building is well gone now and the tools are still in the area.

Nice collection!
S

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:55:20 PM

Yep, like a push bike for your hands :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 11:56:48 PM
My Dad actually worked a time for Coes in Worcester. the building is well gone now and the tools are still in the area.

Nice collection!

That's interesting to know.  :) 

Did you manage to get hold of any?
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 12:09:01 AM
Just one I will pick it later this weekend when I go to moms. However he then went to work For H&R firearms when they were still in Worcester. It seems we have too many factories and mills in the area.
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 12:11:08 AM
Just one I will pick it later this weekend when I go to moms. However he then went to work For H&R firearms when they were still in Worcester. It seems we have too many factories and mills in the area.

It would be great to see some pics of it if you get chance.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 12:12:54 AM
Uh Yah and my house was the shop for the Douglas AXX mill. They had 2 forges and went belly up in 1876.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 02:36:25 AM
Great pictures of some wonderful old tools Ben. It's fascinating to see these devices, and to think about how they were made and how they were used.

Antique wrenches have quite a following, although I don't know much about them. There is an entire field of collectors who prowl around looking for these things. Coes tools do seem to command a great deal of respect.

As regards the hammer, it looks like it was originally forged in good order, but then maybe someone hit it with an acetylene torch. Look how crisp the lines are leading up to the ball peen. It doesn't seem like they would be so crisp if the metal were still "runny" at the casting step. But then there is the pit with a glob of molten metal running from it, like a torch would make:

This spot looks like someone hit a piece of harder metal, causing a chunk to splinter off the head. Perhaps then over years of use the sharp edges of the splinter became rounded?

Just theories of course.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 02:37:55 AM
Hawk, there really was a TON of factories and mills in Mass!
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 02:52:40 AM
Yup you either farmed or were a millrat. My family comes from a long proud tradition of millrats.
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 11:49:18 AM
Thanks for the thoughts Bob.   :)
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 01:09:22 PM
KingDick those guys were years ahead of themselves in the marketing department.  :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 01:33:45 PM
KingDick those guys were years ahead of themselves in the marketing department.  :D :D :D

Hehe!
Wonder what their official company logo looked like? :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 02:44:48 AM

Hehe!

LOL what about a KingDick mini

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 02:49:42 AM

Hehe!

Hehe!

No thanks, I've already got one of those :( :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 04:26:03 PM

[/quote]

Hehe!

[/quote]

:D :D

I'm back!!

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:23 PM
We used to have a hand drill like that. Of all the toys I had (and I'm a spoiled brat) the memory of turning the handle on it is the fondest.  :D

I wonder if it's possible to incorporate a drill like that into a MT...

*patents the Fieldrill*
W

Offline scibeer

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 03:24:09 AM
Cool shots,   I love old tools.

That hammer looks like someone ran a bead on it from an arc welder to me or like Bob said, used a torch on it maybe tacking something together.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 04:09:32 AM
Cool shots,   I love old tools.

That hammer looks like someone ran a bead on it from an arc welder to me or like Bob said, used a torch on it maybe tacking something together.

Yah, I was thinking about the arc welder thing too. Or some sort of high voltage electricity.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 02:51:16 PM

Hehe!

Hehe!

Bob when you do photo your collection you can leave this one out of the shot :P :D :D

Offline joebw

Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 01:20:40 AM
Hi,

Worcester, Mass was the center of the mechanical part of the industrial revolution in America.  We had two steel mills producing wire and bar, were the deep hole drilling center of the universe (all rifled  gun barrels for the Union were done in Worcester during our Civil War), large numbers of abrasive manufacturers and so-on.  The tool industry was a huge one in Worcester.

Wonderful to see these pictures and to hear of someone working at Coes.  Old Worcester name with Coes appearing as Coes Pond to this day.

I will soon retire after 41 years at a company makinf industrial valves in Worcester.

Best - joe

Offline AJ

Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 02:17:23 AM
The old adjustable wrenches are cool.

Here is a couple I have.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4968.0.html
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 11:29:04 AM
The old adjustable wrenches are cool.

Here is a couple I have.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4968.0.html

The Coes is my favourite one.  :)  I will have to try and weigh it, it is pretty damn heavy.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 06:38:28 PM
Perhaps ole granddad was just marking his hammer. In my line of work I know many ppl that take an arc welder to there hammer and mark it.  Hard to miss if someone ends up wit sticky fingers. :twak: :D Some even weld there initial in   ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 06:46:00 PM
Well he wasn't really that practical so I very much doubt he ever tried welding.  So he probably pinched it from someone else.  :D
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD