Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest GERBER?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Whats you latest GERBER?
Reply #450 on: October 17, 2014, 08:59:19 PM
Welcome to the forum campy. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #451 on: October 17, 2014, 10:00:11 PM
My first Gerber ever.
I heard they are ratlly, have short tools and are of reasonable quality.. but darned fun to flick...

So far this opinion seems confirmed (poor little MP400 came in a shipment with a Surge and a SkeleTool and seriously fails in comparison to them).
Still cute and fun and I do like the needlenose pliers... ow the scrissors are darned cool as well  :P

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #452 on: October 20, 2014, 03:57:58 AM
I received a pair of Gerber Dimes (one red, one green) for my 47th birthday a few weeks ago.

Not bad little pocket tools. Much better than the Gerber Clutch, that's for sure.

Debating on "requesting" an MP400 or MP600 for Christmas.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #453 on: October 20, 2014, 04:26:21 AM
I received a pair of Gerber Dimes (one red, one green) for my 47th birthday a few weeks ago.

Not bad little pocket tools. Much better than the Gerber Clutch, that's for sure.

Debating on "requesting" an MP400 or MP600 for Christmas.

'67 vintage rules!  :salute: 

If you're keen on MP600, go with the US Army issue edition with carbide wire cutters, plenty of them on eBay going for a song from army surplus supplier listings. MP600 is nothing special really, but the US Mil connotation and 'AK47' moniker makes it a really cool 'toy' to own in its own right.

Otherwise I'd go with the Diesel, preferably BO if you like black tools. It's sort of an MP600 on steroids, just about all of the drawbacks and issues of the MP600 were addressed and fixed on the Diesel. Except for the pliers, to accommodate longer blades they made pliers a little thinner than MP600. So if a heavy-duty pliers with carbide wire cutters are your must-have, then go with the MP600.

:cheers:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #454 on: October 20, 2014, 04:32:04 AM
My first Gerber ever.
I heard they are ratlly, have short tools and are of reasonable quality.. but darned fun to flick...

So far this opinion seems confirmed (poor little MP400 came in a shipment with a Surge and a SkeleTool and seriously fails in comparison to them).
Still cute and fun and I do like the needlenose pliers... ow the scrissors are darned cool as well  :P

...and you're darned jolly good fellow...;)

00 Offline cool123

Reply #455 on: October 28, 2014, 12:50:54 PM
Mr. Pinchy for me.

(Image removed from quote.)

Six months back I had purchased Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate with a fine edge. Since then I have never seen back to opt for any other fixed blade survival knife. The Gerber fixed blade knife which is a non-serrated version which allows me to perform operations on my caught during camping or hunting. The edges of the blade does deteriorate easily and remains fine for long. The emergency whistle provide me with an added advantage in case of any unforeseen emergency.

If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #456 on: October 28, 2014, 10:09:47 PM
My first Gerber ever.

Isn't that one an older version?
Leatherman

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #457 on: October 28, 2014, 10:26:15 PM
My first Gerber ever.

Isn't that one an older version?

Yes it is.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #458 on: October 31, 2014, 05:15:04 PM
MP1

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #459 on: November 08, 2014, 11:40:57 PM
A like new BO Diesel I got a few days ago and been playing with and like, so today I got a new in box SS Diesel I have mod plans for :multi:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:42:52 PM by Jetbo »

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #460 on: November 09, 2014, 01:15:52 AM
A like new BO Diesel I got a few days ago and been playing with and like, so today I got a new in box SS Diesel I have mod plans for :multi:

Great pick.
I also have soft spot for Diesels and Multipliers in general.

Mods you say...what mods? Spill the beans!   :pok:

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #461 on: November 09, 2014, 06:36:33 PM

Good choice. I have had mine Diesel for 2-3months now and it is still my most used Gerber at the moment. :cheers:

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #462 on: November 23, 2014, 06:02:02 PM

Great pick.
I also have soft spot for Diesels and Multipliers in general.

Mods you say...what mods? Spill the beans!   :pok:

Nothing to radical, I added the 3d Phillips and replaced the new longer scissors with the older short model.  I think I will also add a sharper tip to the can opener so it could double as a awl.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #463 on: November 23, 2014, 06:09:19 PM
Nice, I like that! :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #464 on: November 26, 2014, 08:53:54 PM
I received a Gerber Crucial the other day. It says limited edition but I don´t know what´s limited  about it. Maybe the tin box it came with.
Overall a nice tool. I really like the knife.(minus the serrations) When playing with it I wished the blade had a thumb stud.
Then I watched Chakos pictures of other Crucials in the Gerber picture thread and realized that some have. But it is possible to open by oh because of the blades width anyway just not as easy.
It´s not heavy duty but I like so far.
crucial1.jpg
* crucial1.jpg (Filesize: 346.38 KB)
crucial2.jpg
* crucial2.jpg (Filesize: 470.75 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #465 on: December 02, 2014, 05:25:25 PM
I bought an original Gerber Multiplier years ago.   The manufactured quality was good, but the handles pinched my palm and deploying the individual tools was laborious.  After that experience, I avoided buying another Gerber multitool -- until yesterday.

I bought a Gerber MP400 on sale locally at Menards for about $29.    Curiosity got the best of me.

The MP400's knife blade was surprisingly dull.  The nail nick is located on the wrong side, but I knew about that ahead of time after reading reviews on Amazon.com.  The sheath is too short for the tool and is of poor quality.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:29:16 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #466 on: December 02, 2014, 06:17:08 PM
I bought an original Gerber Multiplier years ago.   The manufactured quality was good, but the handles pinched my palm and deploying the individual tools was laborious.  After that experience, I avoided buying another Gerber multitool -- until yesterday.

I bought a Gerber MP400 on sale locally at Menards for about $29.    Curiosity got the best of me.

The MP400's knife blade was surprisingly dull.  The nail nick is located on the wrong side, but I knew about that ahead of time after reading reviews on Amazon.com.  The sheath is too short for the tool and is of poor quality.

I do hate the new Gerber sheaths. Basically useless in my opinion.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #467 on: December 06, 2014, 05:24:35 PM
I just received a Grappler.I bought this to try the locking plier mechanism incorporated into a multi-tool.I haven't had an opportunity to use it but one fact of which I became painfully aware was the tool sets so low in the sheath that I wasn't able to grasp enough of the tool to remove it.Major failure on Gerbers part.So I had to find a sheath that fits this rather large tool.I was fortunate to have a Leatherman moly sheath that fit this tool perfectly.First problem solved.I'll be using this tool in the upcoming weeks to determine its strengths and weaknesses.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #468 on: December 07, 2014, 06:49:16 AM
This is my first ever Gerber MT, a MP600.  :)

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #469 on: December 07, 2014, 08:02:55 AM

and its a sweet looking MP600! :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #470 on: December 07, 2014, 08:22:43 AM

I have JA to thank for that.  :salute:  Although I did have to put it together myself.  ;)

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #471 on: December 07, 2014, 08:25:23 AM

I have JA to thank for that.  :salute:  Although I did have to put it together myself.  ;)
hmmm not quite the zoidberg I know. All of its limbs are intact.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #472 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:10 AM

hmmm not quite the zoidberg I know. All of its limbs are intact.

I'm waiting on some parts.  :facepalm:

00 Offline cool123

Reply #473 on: December 12, 2014, 06:48:46 AM
Presently I don't have any Gerber tool but I am planning to buy Gerber Bear Gylls fixed blade ultimate survival knife. Can you suggest me whether it good to have it.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #474 on: December 12, 2014, 06:51:55 AM
Presently I don't have any Gerber tool but I am planning to buy Gerber Bear Gylls fixed blade ultimate survival knife. Can you suggest me whether it good to have it.

I would say spend your money on something else. What is your price range and what is its intended use?
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #475 on: December 12, 2014, 06:53:35 AM

I would say spend your money on something else. What is your price range and what is its intended use?

I agree with the capt.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #476 on: December 15, 2014, 11:39:02 PM
I got a very good deal on this Gerber MP800 Legend with carrying case new/old stock in the box.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #477 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:05 AM
In the last weeks I managed tom get my hands on quite a few:

Mp 800 (Maybe mod fodder)
Radius
Recoil
Shard
EAB
MP1

Apart from the EAB,which has proven useful, i have not put any of those to use. I played around a bit and I must say I do like the quirky Radius and Recoil for their strangeness. The Radius has massive handles with only 2 tools each - There are not much pics on here I know off so i think I need to do some myself. strange things those Gerber people do sometimes...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #478 on: December 18, 2014, 04:50:57 PM

I agree with the capt.

Also be wary of bargain prices as there seems to have been a lot of fakes made of this knife, so if you do want one then make sure you get it from a reputable dealer.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #479 on: December 25, 2014, 05:45:56 AM
I seem to have bought yet another Mr Pinchy version 1 variant  ???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141509576457    (click on "see original listing" to see all the photos - I can't do photos myself)

This one is quite an oddball, as it has only one cut-out per handle with the nail nicks that line up (like a v1.2 Mr Pinchy), but the big awl (that I usually associate with v2 Mr Pinchies) has replaced the (near-useless) scissors that I've only ever seen on v1 Mr pinchies. 

My initial thoughts were that it might be a prototype or parts-bin special, but I've just found (and am bidding on) a BO one that looks the same (so this one is doubly interesting, as not only is it the oddball combination of handles and tools, but it is also the first BO v1 Mr Pinchy I've ever seen).

Finding these caused me to have a closer look at all my v1 and v2 Mr Pinchies, and I also seem to have a transitional v1/v2 SS Mr Pinchy: it has V1 pliers (but bead blasted, not polished) but with v2.0 handles and tools.

I guess it is a case of "the closer you look, the more you find"  :D

Any comments/questions/thoughts/speculations ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%