Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest GERBER?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Whats you latest GERBER?
Reply #480 on: December 25, 2014, 01:38:08 PM
BO Gerber Diesel and bit kit :nanadance:

I think this one might be going knifeless, but in order to do that I need to destroy the DEsTroyer  :ahhh For those who don't know, that's a MP600DET with shear heads. Very useful for heavy cutting when I had the boat, less useful now. I'm thinking of robbing it for the blade exchanger and 3D phillips

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #481 on: December 30, 2014, 04:33:49 AM
....... but I've just found (and am bidding on) a BO one that looks the same (so this one is doubly interesting, as not only is it the oddball combination of handles and tools, but it is also the first BO v1 Mr Pinchy I've ever seen).
I've just won this one, so another unusual old Mr Pinchy is heading down under to join his brothers .....  :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #482 on: December 30, 2014, 12:46:23 PM

I think this one might be going knifeless, but in order to do that I need to destroy the DEsTroyer  :ahhh For those who don't know, that's a MP600DET with shear heads. Very useful for heavy cutting when I had the boat, less useful now. I'm thinking of robbing it for the blade exchanger and 3D phillips

If it saves the destroyer, plase let me supply a BO Phillips for your Diesel build. I have no BO sawblade coupler, though. (I do, but it will stay in the MP 600 DET...)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #483 on: December 30, 2014, 01:48:56 PM

If it saves the destroyer, plase let me supply a BO Phillips for your Diesel build. I have no BO sawblade coupler, though. (I do, but it will stay in the MP 600 DET...)

Thanks Thomas, but the Destroyer will probably get very little use now anyway. I'll still keep the rest of the tool in a drawer in case I need to use the shears for anything (just like I do with my now empty SOG S60). There's more chance of the DET's implements doing what they were born to do by sitting in the Diesel than in the Destroyer, so I'm quite happy to do the swap  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #484 on: December 31, 2014, 07:54:20 PM
New Gerber MP600 blunt nose with bit kit, US government version.  Knife blades require sharpening.

At 8.2 ounces, the MP600 itself weighs less than my Leatherman Wave.   That's a good thing.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #485 on: December 31, 2014, 08:39:16 PM
It's funny that despite my preference for needlenose pliers, the blunt noses always look so badass and make me want to get one >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #486 on: January 01, 2015, 12:42:21 AM
I picked up a Crucial Essential at Home Depot. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #487 on: January 01, 2015, 02:47:31 PM
It's funny that despite my preference for needlenose pliers, the blunt noses always look so badass and make me want to get one >:D
I agree with what others have written that the needlenose are useful in a wider variety of situations.   That said, the blunt nose fills a gap in my set of multitools.

Life is short.  Buy a blunt nose multitool.   :D

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #488 on: January 01, 2015, 02:55:14 PM
I agree with what others have written that the needlenose are useful in a wider variety of situations.   That said, the blunt nose fills a gap in my set of multitools.

Life is short.  Buy a blunt nose multitool.   :D
Someday perhaps I will ;)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #489 on: January 02, 2015, 01:49:13 AM
My third Shard. It seems like I can't get enough of these little OPMTs in all different finish variants :)

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #490 on: January 07, 2015, 01:56:34 AM
Got a few new Mr. pinchy's from the Captain. Thanks Cap ! :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #491 on: January 07, 2015, 02:34:07 AM
Got a few new Mr. pinchy's from the Captain. Thanks Cap ! :salute:

No problem.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #492 on: January 23, 2015, 04:50:57 AM
Gerber MP600 bladeless.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #493 on: January 23, 2015, 08:38:43 PM
I recently got another MP400 because I never learn and keep selling them  :facepalm: and a Gerber Moment which was a really present surprise. For the price it's awesome

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #494 on: January 24, 2015, 07:05:54 AM
I was doing some late night EBay browsing and pulled the trigger on a BO Gerber Diesel....curiosity got the best of me ;)

K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #495 on: January 24, 2015, 07:12:20 AM
I was doing some late night EBay browsing and pulled the trigger on a BO Gerber Diesel....curiosity got the best of me ;)

:tu:

Sent from the land of the long white cloud.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #496 on: January 24, 2015, 07:53:08 AM
Hey Zman!  How the heck are ya buddy?  It seems like it's been a while since you've been spamming the place up ;)

K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #497 on: January 24, 2015, 08:41:49 AM
Hey Zman!  How the heck are ya buddy?  It seems like it's been a while since you've been spamming the place up ;)

Having a mere of late, been missin you nutters.  :P

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #498 on: January 24, 2015, 02:27:09 PM

Having a mere of late, been missin you nutters. 

What is a mere?  Glad you're back around though fellow butter :)

K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #499 on: January 24, 2015, 07:17:28 PM

I'll put it this way, things can only get better.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #500 on: January 24, 2015, 10:14:48 PM

I'll put it this way, things can only get better.

Lol, I just saw that auto correct changed my butter into butter.  Sorry if you're going through a tough time buddy.  You know we're here for ya :)

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #501 on: January 30, 2015, 05:38:52 PM
My Diesel just arrived, and I wasn't even expecting it so soon :D  I can't post pics until tonight.  I do like it, and it reminds me of the MP400, just bigger and black.  Has more tools obviously as well.  It's a little stiff out of the package, but breaking it in is part of the fun isn't it? ;)

One thing that took me a few minutes to realize, is that it won't flick right open if you're holding both handles.  This isn't an issue with my MP400 or Flik, so it took some getting used to once I figured out that if I just hold the end of one handle, it flicks open just fine.  I just have to make sure I'm holding it firmly and don't let it go flying.  I also noticed that it's best to hold the handle that doesn't house the knife.  If I hold the knife handle and flick it like that, the knife partially deploys.  So as long as I hold the other handle, it's not an issue. 

The pliers are a great shape and seem like they give a lot of reach, which is nice, especially for some of the tasks I encounter at work.  The grip is good for my smaller hands as well, so that's a plus.  I don't like that they wasted a whole slot on a lanyard loop as that could have been used for an awl or something, anything more useful than the loop at least.  The blade is nice, and I like the shape.  It looks like a good blade for utility/dirty work, and it's super sharp.  I also wish the file had the third edge for metal sawing, but I don't exactly do much of that, if any.  Just a feature I like to have.  The tip of the file could be used on extra large flathead screws though. 

The tools are rather stubby, which is a widely known feature of the Gerber tools, at least of the flicky variety.  For the most part, this isn't an issue for me though.  One major issue I have with this flicky design though, is the inability to extend the handles, which comes in handy to me if I need to reach something above me to pull it closer or similar uses like that.  I can get some reach with the pliers and file deployed, but it's not the same as I can get with the Spirit, Rebar or Supertool.  I obviously knew this before buying though, so it's not that big a deal. 

It is indeed a beast I think, and probably more tool than I really need to carry, but it's lighter than the Supertool and my ReCharge.  It is rather long though, at just under 5".  It's not a good size/shape for my preferred carry method of the back pocket, next to my wallet.  It will fit though, and isn't quite as big as the LM OHT, which I was able to carry this way as well.  Overall, this thing feels very solid, and I like it so far :tu:
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #502 on: January 30, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
Good to hear you're liking it so far Kyle. :tu: 

On flicking the pliers: You're dead right that if you squeeze the handles together at all then the head won't come out.  The way I do it is to hold the Diesel between my thumb and the base of my index finger, but not curling my fingers closed at all.  Then flick it sideways over my knuckles rather than forwards.  This way you don't every lose control of one of the legs and I've never felt like it was going to come out of my hand.  Not sure I'm making that totally clear though. :think:

Oh, and if you've not tried it yet the can opening is awful at opening cans, but does make a passable awl. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #503 on: January 30, 2015, 07:49:09 PM
Congrats on your new Diesel!

It is indeed a major upgrade on the MP600, just about all tools sans MP600's 3D screwdriver were upgraded and "fixed". I love mine in BO, but as with most of my Gerbers - I rarely use it.  :(

As for the flicky pliers issue, just give it some time to 'work in' and the pliers should flick out when holding both handles. I had the same issue with mine initially but works effortlessly now.

Enjoy!  :tu:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #504 on: January 30, 2015, 08:09:03 PM
Good to hear you're liking it so far Kyle. :tu: 

On flicking the pliers: You're dead right that if you squeeze the handles together at all then the head won't come out.  The way I do it is to hold the Diesel between my thumb and the base of my index finger, but not curling my fingers closed at all.  Then flick it sideways over my knuckles rather than forwards.  This way you don't every lose control of one of the legs and I've never felt like it was going to come out of my hand.  Not sure I'm making that totally clear though. :think:

Oh, and if you've not tried it yet the can opening is awful at opening cans, but does make a passable awl. :D

I think I need a video demonstration Gareth buddy ;)  I think I know what you mean, but I think I'm doing it wrong as it's not working well.  Maybe mine just needs to be worked some more to loosen up a bit.  I should clarify that I don't really feel like I'm losing control of it when I flick it my way.  I just don't like that the opposite handle forcefully splays out as the pliers lock into place.  I'm not sure if that's something that would cause any issue over time, but I doubt it.  I just wish I could flick it open while holding both handles, like I can with the MP400.  Honestly not a huge deal though. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #505 on: January 30, 2015, 08:15:22 PM
Congrats on your new Diesel!

It is indeed a major upgrade on the MP600, just about all tools sans MP600's 3D screwdriver were upgraded and "fixed". I love mine in BO, but as with most of my Gerbers - I rarely use it.  :(

As for the flicky pliers issue, just give it some time to 'work in' and the pliers should flick out when holding both handles. I had the same issue with mine initially but works effortlessly now.

Enjoy!  :tu:

Thanks babola :)  I also figure I won't use this one much, which would lead some to question why I got it in the first place.  However, I don't use any of my MTs much, so one could question why I have more than one to begin with.  If I applied that type of logic though, I wouldn't have had all the fun I've had checking out different MTs and finding what I like.  Still, after the initial newness wears off, this will likely sit in a drawer most of the time.  I more or less knew this before I bought it, but was curious and had the opportunity to get a cheaper MT at the time, so this is the one I grabbed.  The only other options I would have gone for were the LM OHT or the Vic Swisstool, both of which are much more expensive, and were therefore not an option at the time.
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #506 on: January 30, 2015, 08:29:09 PM
Video on it's way, uploading now. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #507 on: January 30, 2015, 08:50:56 PM
Here you go buddy, just for you (and anyone on Youtube ;)) a rough guide to how I open my Diesel.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #508 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:39 PM
Oh wow, I didn't expect you'd actually do a video - thanks buddy :salute:  I'll have to check it out tonight.  It won't play it at work.
K-Tibbs

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #509 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:18 PM
Ask and ye shall receive buddy. ;)

:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%