Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest GERBER?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Whats you latest GERBER?
Reply #540 on: July 12, 2015, 03:40:36 AM
Looking good Beat, welcome to team FrankenGerber.  :drink:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #541 on: August 19, 2015, 09:38:51 PM
Just got a Gerber Dime, my first Gerber.  Have to say, I am very very unimpressed with the fit and finish on this tool, and it has some really questionable design choices.  Then again, what did I expect for $13 new.

The drive on the torx screws holding this thing together looks like it was carved out with a stone arrow or something.  I don't get it, they are off center and already look stripped.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:44:07 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #542 on: August 19, 2015, 11:55:10 PM
Just got a Gerber Dime, my first Gerber.  Have to say, I am very very unimpressed with the fit and finish on this tool, and it has some really questionable design choices.  Then again, what did I expect for $13 new.

The drive on the torx screws holding this thing together looks like it was carved out with a stone arrow or something.  I don't get it, they are off center and already look stripped.

:rofl: Got any pics to back up that brilliant description?

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #543 on: August 20, 2015, 12:39:25 AM
Unfortunately the camera on my phone isn't quite good enough to capture what I am talking about.   :(

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #544 on: August 20, 2015, 01:47:10 PM
Email Gerber about it, they've taken very good care of me so far. I live in Sweden and they have shipped replacement firesteels for my Ultimate Knife and brand new knives for free, even though my proof of purchase was questionable at best. Basically, their customer service is brilliant and they've made me a customer for life.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #545 on: August 20, 2015, 01:49:37 PM
With that said, I have also found that Dimes dont have the best QC. I did get a lemon once, the pliers were poorly machined and wouldn't really cut anything. The handles weren't completely straight and they rubbed against each other a lot, which caused the corners to wear off on both sides. I took it apart because I wasn't going to use it anymore. I got myself 3 more of them and gave away 2 as gifts, these seem to be holding up just fine. Easy to get the tools out, nice fit and finish and so on.

So 3/4 were good then. I could've just sent that first one in I suppose, but at the time I just couldn't be bothered.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #546 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:18 PM
Hi WiseDuck, thanks for the advice.  I don't care enough about this tool to start fiddling with Gerber over it.  The screws are a little unsightly and I imagine it would be hard to disassemble, but it functions fine so I can't really complain too much for $13.  It will sit on my desk as a really fancy package opener now.  I filed down some of the corners and it opens and closes a lot better now. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:42:34 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #547 on: August 20, 2015, 11:42:28 PM
My latest and my only GERBER!..All my multi tools are Leatherman but decided to add this little guy to the family :D...and by the way, the sheath also fits the Micra like a glove.

“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #548 on: August 21, 2015, 08:18:44 AM
Hi WiseDuck, thanks for the advice.  I don't care enough about this tool to start fiddling with Gerber over it.  The screws are a little unsightly and I imagine it would be hard to disassemble, but it functions fine so I can't really complain too much for $13.  It will sit on my desk as a really fancy package opener now.  I filed down some of the corners and it opens and closes a lot better now.

It is very difficult to take apart without hurting anything. Especially the small screws. They've put loctite on all the screws and they're quite soft, so they're easy to strip. It's best to not touch anything really.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #549 on: August 25, 2015, 09:51:16 AM
Speaking of poor quality. I found the Bear Grylls Tool Pack on sale the other day for about 35-40 dollars, which is a fantastic price because other places in Sweden sell it for three times the price. I went for it because the pack got a good review on this website.

Unfortunately... Gerbers Chinese QC or lack thereof decided to strike again. Firesteel, OK. LED light, OK.

Multitool? Eh. 3/4 pivot screws partially stripped, crooked handles on the tool end, crack in the plastic, knife is very difficult to get out and almost impossible to close again, same with the can opener and cap lifter combo tool, my thumb is really sore from pulling on the tab to disengage the lock. It's impossible to do it one-handed. The tools on the other side? Very smooth, lockup is nice etc.

So basically, whoever put together this tool just did not give a **** that day. The tool sorta kinda works but you really have to fart around a lot with the lock and because the screws are partially stripped, you'll never be able to take it apart or adjust it. I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe I'll return it, maybe.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #550 on: August 25, 2015, 09:55:07 AM
Speaking of poor quality. I found the Bear Grylls Tool Pack on sale the other day for about 35-40 dollars, which is a fantastic price because other places in Sweden sell it for three times the price. I went for it because the pack got a good review on this website.

Unfortunately... Gerbers Chinese QC or lack thereof decided to strike again. Firesteel, OK. LED light, OK.

Multitool? Eh. 3/4 pivot screws partially stripped, crooked handles on the tool end, crack in the plastic, knife is very difficult to get out and almost impossible to close again, same with the can opener and cap lifter combo tool, my thumb is really sore from pulling on the tab to disengage the lock. It's impossible to do it one-handed. The tools on the other side? Very smooth, lockup is nice etc.

So basically, whoever put together this tool just did not give a **** that day. The tool sorta kinda works but you really have to fart around a lot with the lock and because the screws are partially stripped, you'll never be able to take it apart or adjust it. I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe I'll return it, maybe.

:worthless:

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #551 on: August 25, 2015, 12:24:23 PM
Here ya go. And a bonus video too!

Yeah, I'm returning this today. Can't stand it. A tool that does not inspire confidence is a tool I don't want to carry, especially not on hikes or walks through the forest.
side1.jpg
* side1.jpg (Filesize: 165.78 KB)
side2.jpg
* side2.jpg (Filesize: 179.25 KB)
side3.jpg
* side3.jpg (Filesize: 121.78 KB)
side4.jpg
* side4.jpg (Filesize: 109.29 KB)

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #552 on: August 25, 2015, 12:24:36 PM
And one more.
crooked.jpg
* crooked.jpg (Filesize: 140.64 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #553 on: August 25, 2015, 01:43:04 PM
That's a real shame! I have one of those sets and actually quite like it. It doesn't feel particularly heavy duty, but works surprisingly well, and has one of the best multitool can openers I've used. Mine is slightly crooked too, but it doesn't affect the function. The only issue I have is that the tangs on the tools are slightly assymetrical, which means that when one tool is locked out, the others aren't securely locked in, particularly on the saw side. Unfortunately I can't adjust the pivot tension to compensate, and they are loctited and I can't apply heat to release it due to the plastic handles.... so I just have to be careful.

That said, I'm having a big clear out and getting rid of a lot of tools, and this set is one I'm keeping. It's going to replace the Core as the tool that lives in my dashboard of the car. It's small, light, grippy, surprisingly capable, the light and firesteel are good, and the sheath is excellent IMHO. It's quality is certainly flawed when compared to other tools I'm selling instead, but there's just something about it that makes me want to keep it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #554 on: August 25, 2015, 07:57:17 PM
It is a shame, I wanted to like it. The portability and the number of areas you cover with these tools in a single small sheath is great, in theory. The QC just kinda lets it down. As something you throw into the glove compartment in a car? Alright. But as something I wanted to carry when I'm out and about? Not so fine.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #555 on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:29 AM
Anyhow, let's talk about something good instead. My two latest Gerbers, before the BG tool pack that is. Fit and finish is great on both, zero blade play, great lock-up and so on. Not cheap though!
Gerbers 2.jpg
* Gerbers 2.jpg (Filesize: 156.1 KB)

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #556 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:53 AM
I am too already with my first and only Gerber :D

I posted pics of it already, but I couldn't help adding this one here, too :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #557 on: August 27, 2015, 11:33:27 PM
I am too already with my first and only Gerber :D

I posted pics of it already, but I couldn't help adding this one here, too :D

I'm not much for Purple, but that looks pretty good.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #558 on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:49 PM
MP400. I mean it is a MP400 right? It says Compact Sport Multiplier on the packaging. It's an older package too, says trademarked 2010.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #559 on: August 31, 2015, 10:17:19 PM
Yup, that's what it is :tu:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
K-Tibbs

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #560 on: August 31, 2015, 11:19:54 PM
MP400. I mean it is a MP400 right? It says Compact Sport Multiplier on the packaging. It's an older package too, says trademarked 2010.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yes it is a MP400.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #561 on: September 01, 2015, 03:33:16 AM
Fantastic tool. :tu:  I love the MP400.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #562 on: September 03, 2015, 08:24:32 PM
I've got a black bladeless MP600 with the bit kit on the way from Amazon. Someone pointed it out here.

I travel for work sometimes to witness tests on electrical equipment. It'd be nice to be able to carry something along without checking bags.

So now, I've got 3 such tools:

• Wenger Esquire w/o blade (has a micro-screwdriver instead)
  • Gerber Dime Travel. Dubious initial quality, but has broken in nicely.
  • Gerber MP600 bladeless
I'm thinking what I'm going to do to keep the paint off my hands. Maybe wash it off first with mineral spirits until paint stops coming off...
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #563 on: September 04, 2015, 09:45:54 AM
I had a bladeless MP600 for a little while but gave it away as a present. Kinda wish I'd kept it for myself, it was never meant to be a present really, (It was actually an order gone wrong, I thought I'd ordered the Gerber Camp kitchen kit, but got the MP600 instead) but since I had it and it made a lot of sense at my friends workplace...

I recently went to London and I did not have any kind of multitool on me. Me, my father and my brother just wanted to enjoy a couple of ciders in a park. We really struggled to get these open. Major 1st world problem here!

One of the few times in life when I didn't have a cap lifter on me, or any sharp edges nearby. They barely have any metal trash bins in these parks due to some kind of bomb scare a couple of years ago. A bladeless MP600 is probably the most heavy-duty bladeless multitool out there and I really want one!

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #564 on: September 04, 2015, 10:00:47 PM
So I was at a outdoor store today, (love living in the Redwoods outdoor stores on every block) and this baby was sitting very lonely for $49.99 ran and returned my MP400 and bought this beauty.  My first regular plier multitool. Quite happy now.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #565 on: September 05, 2015, 12:22:33 AM
Very nice! :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #566 on: September 05, 2015, 12:38:39 AM
You returned the MP400? ? ? ?  :ahhh  :ahhh :ahhh

Well seen as you upgraded to a BO Blunty 600, we'll let you off  ;) :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #567 on: September 19, 2015, 09:38:34 AM
So... believe or not, I bought another Dime... after selling mt Dime Travel two months ago and bitching so much about it.. who'd have thought...

Well.. I always thought it's pretty and I don't have anymore Gerbers or keychain tools around.. plus I found it for 15 USD shipped NIB - which is insanely cheap for Romania.

Amazingly I kind of like it...

Gerber quality shines throughout  :bnghd: the edge was chipped from the box, the boxcutter is a nailbreaker...

However the pliers are nce and comfy, scissors are adecvate, the screwdriver is nice, the bottle opener is one of the best in the business and the knife cuts... I guess it have a Philips with nailfile too, but it's not convincing...
Extra points for snappy opening and spring-loaded pliers...
I replaced the tweezers with a Wenger toothpick - the pliers are a pretty good tweezers anyway.

All this in a very tiny, light and pretty looking package... let's see how well it holds...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #568 on: September 19, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
So... believe or not, I bought another Dime... after selling mt Dime Travel two months ago and bitching so much about it.. who'd have thought...

Well.. I always thought it's pretty and I don't have anymore Gerbers or keychain tools around.. plus I found it for 15 USD shipped NIB - which is insanely cheap for Romania.

Amazingly I kind of like it...

Gerber quality shines throughout  :bnghd: the edge was chipped from the box, the boxcutter is a nailbreaker...

However the pliers are nce and comfy, scissors are adecvate, the screwdriver is nice, the bottle opener is one of the best in the business and the knife cuts... I guess it have a Philips with nailfile too, but it's not convincing...
Extra points for snappy opening and spring-loaded pliers...
I replaced the tweezers with a Wenger toothpick - the pliers are a pretty good tweezers anyway.

All this in a very tiny, light and pretty looking package... let's see how well it holds...
The Dime is great, except for that nail file. If they were to improve that they could raise their price  >:D
SAW

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #569 on: September 24, 2015, 08:46:41 AM
I couldn't help myself... I've got a Dime Travel and a green Dime on the way. And also a Mini FAST Draw, because hey, I wanted to try one of their cheaper assisted knives! I should have everything next week.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%