Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

4 Little Survival Knives, a Honking Big Dagger, and a Comfortable Utility Knife.

Chako · 10 · 2864

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I was in the Station Mall, one of the local shopping centers when I spied a vendor that temporarily opens every Christmas for a few months. She usually has a lot of cheap knives and sword like objects for a not that bad price. You get what you pay for there.

I spied a few items that interested me. She had a few small survival type knives with a blade length of only 5 inches. These were rather cute, and I couldn't resist getting a few.

Surprisingly enough, these little knives have a good weight to them, and the sheaths are of medium quality construction which is a step up from the lowest cheaply made junk.

Here are the little survival knives compared to a full size junker.

So what can I say about these little knives other than they appear to be not that bad overall. They come very sharp right out of the box (Some cheap knives are sold dull). The sheath is ok...nothing excellent. Appears to be sturdy and somewhat well made. The knife itself has a nice weight, is of all metal construction. The handle is hollow, and the blade is of the held on by a screw/nut construction with no tang whatsoever. With that said, there is no blade play, and amazingly enough, appears to be a step up from the truly dreadful junk out there. Would I want to stake my life on it...no way. One appears to be a dagger style...which is even more ridiculous for a survival knife. I had to get that one for a laugh. The handles feel great, and the screwed in end is well constructed and offers a smooth action. Upon closer inspection, I like these knives for what they are...a somewhat well made bad designed knife. Lol.

Even more suprising, the little survival kit comes in a nice plastic capsule. The capsule is not water proof. The contents come in a clear ziplock baggy, and there is a rubber ring around the pommel. The kit is tiny, and there is a little room to add a few very small items to it. The small but functional compass is located on the underside of the pommel.

The finish is nice on each knife. Here is the logo. I have never heard of these guys.

Love the other side of the blade. It has this written on it. Hand forged in China...and USA custom design...yeah right. :D

Here is what was written under the dagger...classic design?  :facepalm:

Onto the next item. At the same store, there was this beautiful decorative dagger that is 14" long overall.

Once again, I was a bit puzzled over this item. I only paid 22 dollars for It...and I would assume it is pure decorative wall art junk...but after looking at it...it is well made...and bloody sharp to boot. I know as I drew some blood unsheathing the thing. That will teach me to assume something is junk and not sharp.

The design on the blade appears to be well done.  :think:

And after looking at the overly decorative but oddly comfortable handle...there appears to be two people in there.

Last but not least, Canadian Tire had another utility knife up for sale. This one allows you to hold the knife with a finger through that hole. Makes precision cuts super comfortable and easy.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:01:57 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Thanks for sharing those.  Some cool-looking stuff, especially the dagger.

Re the last few pictures, I'm always hesitant to carry any knives with rings or finger holes in the handles, as I'm concerned about the potential for some overzealous LEO to (mis-)classify them as metal-knuckle knives, which are largely illegal to carry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
"Well made bad designed knife" lol, I like that. :D. Like you I don't think I'd ever trust my survival to one of these knives but they are interesting.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
I paid 15 dollars each...not bad. I figured I could pawn them off as gifts if I didn't like them...but I do. They will make an interesting addition to my fixed blade knife collection.

nate j, I hear you. However, this is going to be my go to utility knife as it is just so darn comfortable and accurate to use.

00 Offline cool123

I was in the Station Mall, one of the local shopping centers when I spied a vendor that temporarily opens every Christmas for a few months. She usually has a lot of cheap knives and sword like objects for a not that bad price. You get what you pay for there.

I spied a few items that interested me. She had a few small survival type knives with a blade length of only 5 inches. These were rather cute, and I couldn't resist getting a few.

Surprisingly enough, these little knives have a good weight to them, and the sheaths are of medium quality construction which is a step up from the lowest cheaply made junk.

Here are the little survival knives compared to a full size junker.

So what can I say about these little knives other than they appear to be not that bad overall. They come very sharp right out of the box (Some cheap knives are sold dull). The sheath is ok...nothing excellent. Appears to be sturdy and somewhat well made. The knife itself has a nice weight, is of all metal construction. The handle is hollow, and the blade is of the held on by a screw/nut construction with no tang whatsoever. With that said, there is no blade play, and amazingly enough, appears to be a step up from the truly dreadful junk out there. Would I want to stake my life on it...no way. One appears to be a dagger style...which is even more ridiculous for a survival knife. I had to get that one for a laugh. The handles feel great, and the screwed in end is well constructed and offers a smooth action. Upon closer inspection, I like these knives for what they are...a somewhat well made bad designed knife. Lol.

Even more suprising, the little survival kit comes in a nice plastic capsule. The capsule is not water proof. The contents come in a clear ziplock baggy, and there is a rubber ring around the pommel. The kit is tiny, and there is a little room to add a few very small items to it. The small but functional compass is located on the underside of the pommel.

The finish is nice on each knife. Here is the logo. I have never heard of these guys.

Love the other side of the blade. It has this written on it. Hand forged in China...and USA custom design...yeah right. :D

Here is what was written under the dagger...classic design?  :facepalm:

Onto the next item. At the same store, there was this beautiful decorative dagger that is 14" long overall.

Once again, I was a bit puzzled over this item. I only paid 22 dollars for It...and I would assume it is pure decorative wall art junk...but after looking at it...it is well made...and bloody sharp to boot. I know as I drew some blood unsheathing the thing. That will teach me to assume something is junk and not sharp.

The design on the blade appears to be well done.  :think:

And after looking at the overly decorative but oddly comfortable handle...there appears to be two people in there.

Last but not least, Canadian Tire had another utility knife up for sale. This one allows you to hold the knife with a finger through that hole. Makes precision cuts super comfortable and easy.

Really a cool collection of the best self defence knives or survival knives. :)
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Thanks. Not sure they are the best for self defense however.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Man, the orange one sure looks cheesy! I like the sacrificial dagger though :tu:

Thanks for sharing the pics, Chako :salute:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
The dagger looks nice. The survival knives on the other hand look like they could be used somewhat efficiently, no matter the gimmicky design. That is if they will hold an edge without rolling or warping when used for non impact tasks
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
The utility knife looks like some Gerber designs that use gigantic holed pivots.

00 Offline cool123

Thanks. Not sure they are the best for self defense however.
I am not sure about the others but the Survivor fixed blade knife is a perfect outdoors survival knife.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%