Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Improving your favourite tool (suggestions, rants, what have ye).

firiki · 89 · 6339

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
So, after enjoying reading this thread http://forum.multitool.org/leatherman-tools/do-they-actually-care-really/ and a heretic post
The Spirit I was expecting to wipe the floor with my Leathermans given all the hype, it's not bad but for me it didn't live up to the hype.
:D

it became evident to me that MTO could probably use such a comprehensive thread: We all have a MT we prefer over others. Yet, usually there are some things on that tool we'd rather have made in a different fashion. The idea is to list the things you don't like about your favourite multitool and suggest what you would do to improve them if you were the tool's manufacturer. NB: I'm not sure whether there's a similar thread already. If this is the case, please add a link to that thread and close this one.

I'll make a start. It's about the Vic Spirit.

1. Make the thing less slippery. I think that a brushed finish on the handles or even a ribbed one could help improve this issue. I tend to have sweaty hands so this gives me much trouble. Maybe a brushed finish would be more prone to rust, I don't know. It would certainly make the tool look less sleek and that's another point to consider. Perhaps the guys in Ibach don't approve of this...

2. Flat screwdrivers. I'm missing a good medium flat screwdriver. The one on the can opener will only work on non resseced screws. Also, it won't work on many larger ones (4-5mm). The fine SD also didn't work the couple of times I used it to change some light switches. The first time it was too thick, the other time it was too small. :think: You can't have it all, I guess. Actually, that's one thing I really fancy in Leatherman tools, a fair assortment of flat drivers. The only thing missing on Leathermans in that aspect is a big flat SD. I'm not yet sure how I would address this matter.

3. Better scissors. I realise their size results from the fact they must fit in with the pliers head, still I don't like them much. My copy has the plain edge-serrated edge combo so I haven't tried them out. I'm sure they can do some hard work like cutting thick wire or those awful plastic straps that require a chainsaw if they are to be removed but I don't see me using them much for these tasks. My personal preference would be a slightly longer version of this design, with wider opening. I'm not sure that's feasible without major alterations on the Spirit's initial desing though.

Addendum on the Swisstool. I like that beast a lot. The only reason I don't use it is because of the size of my hands (what's the point in carrying around a pair of pliers out of which I can't get the maximum advantage?).

I think the Swisstool could be rendered a bit less slippery as well.

My only rant about it is the thin piece of metal they use for the bottle opener/flat SD. For some reason I think it will bend or worse snap off if strongly torqued. Adding a little heft in this implement would be great, in my opinion.

Those of you that haven't fallen asleep yet after deciphering this lenghty passage, please feel free to chime in with your thoughts, remarks, pics or what you prefer.  :sak:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Re: Improving your favourite tool (suggestions, rants, what have ye).
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:59:29 PM
I've also been thinking about starting a topic like this after reading the "Do they actually care?? really?" topic, great minds ...  ;)
First of all, I consider all of the tools below as my favorites and they are my most used, so I already think they are great, but if I was free to wish wathever I want ...

Anyway, I know some of my wishes are never going to happen, but this is a topic about what I would like to see them change on my favorite tool if I could ask what I want right ?

Here we go, things I would change on my favorite tools:

Vic Spirit and Swisstool:

- replaceable wire cutters
- diamond coated file
- phillips screwdriver in "Leatherman style"

Leatherman Wave:

- replaceable wire cutters
- old style screwdrivers like the ones in the old Wave (I really don't like the bit drivers ...  ::))
- Victorinox style can-opener
- polished like the Leatherman tools from the the early '90s
- fit and finish like the Leatherman tools from the early '90s

Leatherman ST300:

- diamond coated file
- polished like the Leatherman tools from the early '90s
- locking mechanism like on the Spirit/Swisstool

Leatherman Rebar:

- diamond coated file
- scissors
- polished like the Leatherman tools from the early '90s
- locking mechanism like on the Spirit/Swisstool

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 07:00:08 PM
I agree with the OP in the other thread - I would like the option of getting a more conventional plier head on a tool. This would allow the other tools to be longer. I get a lot of use from the needle nose style pliers, but I agree that the heavy hitters would benefit from a real plier head - beefy and strong.

I just wish Leatherman would make their tools customizable, like SOG. What I really want is for SOG to push out some new tools: a PPP sized tool and a PL sized tool where the long tools are OHO-able.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:07:41 PM
The biggest thing I'd change would be to Victornox's blade steel. It doesn't keep an edge as well as even some of the mid range China stuff. I come from the world of Tac folders and have transitioned to SAKs. More tool for sure, but not the greatest blade.

Also do away with Victorinox's parcel hook. HELLO!!! VICTORINOX!!! It's not the early 20 century, it's redundant now! Your just wasting valuable space on the tool... My idea it to replace it with a package opener. Something I plan to try, just need a few junk hooks to grind on.
Simply reshape the hooks head and remove a small amount of material from the tang so it'll open wider then standard.

If you swap an older hook with a newer one it'll actually do the same as removing material and snap open wider. Found out the hard way...but it lends its self to my project so well it's a bonus.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:14 PM
All I need is the Rebar to have good sized scissors.
Leatherman

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:53:40 PM
I'm not going to post a long thought out post right now, but I do wan't to mention one thing about the Spirit pertaining to making it less slippery. I have thought about this for a while now and I would give my first born for a Spirit X with alox style handles and possibly colors.  :drool:

If I remember correctly Metro (or someone else) did a mock up of a Juice like tool using alox handles, but not sure if it ever came about. I would keep the shape of the Spirits handles the same, but have the texturing of alox on them.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:56:11 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:56:44 PM
I'm not going to post a long thought out post right now, but I do wan't to mention one thing about the Spirit pertaining to making it less slippery. I have thought about this for a while now and I would give my first born for a Spirit X with alox style handles and possibly colors.  :drool:

If I remember correctly Metro (or someone else) did a mock up of a Juice like tools using alox handles, but not sure if it ever came about. I would keep the shape of the Spirits handles the same, but have the texturing of alox on them.
+1
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:56:48 PM
I love the spirit but there are some things that I'd like better about it

-Pointier pliers, this is controversial but I would prefer it

-A 3/8 straight driver instead of the chisel
This would be much more useful to me than a rarely used chisel

-Regular vic scissors
I'm pretty sure they fit, so put them in!

-I'm out of ideas so I'll say add a sewing eye to the awl just because :)

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:22 PM

-Regular vic scissors

I think the chisel thing seems like it can cut tape pretty well.
Leatherman

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:59 PM

-Regular vic scissors

I think the chisel thing seems like it can cut tape pretty well.
But in my opinion I can just use the blade for that while the chisel does not function as a 3/8 driver. The 3/8 driver is something Leatherman definitely has over vic

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:37 PM

I also wish the Rebar had scissors. It would be darn near a perfect tool for me if it did.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:10 PM

I also wish the Rebar had scissors. It would be darn near a perfect tool for me if it did.  :tu:
I know the consensus is that it's pretty much impossible to add them, but I feel like you could put them in instead of the serrated blade.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 11:05:11 PM

I know the consensus is that it's pretty much impossible to add them, but I feel like you could put them in instead of the serrated blade.

I think I would take out the small screwdriver for it. :D
Leatherman

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 11:07:12 PM
I would drop the can opener for scissors if they would fit in its spot.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 11:16:07 PM

I would do that if I carry another tool with a bottle opener. :sak: :climber:
Leatherman

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:34 PM

I would do that if I carry another tool with a bottle opener. :sak: :climber:

I normally do.  :D
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:44:45 PM
Make the CS4 properly:rant:

Flat/convex ground blade
Scissors that don't flop about or get jammed up on stowage
Stop the saw blade diving behind the awl, or (even better) swap it for the diamond file
No evil bitey drivers
Shorten the plier head or extend the handles a bit so the drivers aren't as stumpy
Stainless or G10 handle scales
Improve spring tension on external tools (including squaring off the tool tangs a bit more)
Sharpen the awl so I don't have to
Make the can opener actually open cans
Lose the wine bottle chipper (corkscrew assist)
Make the handle thickness uniform
Get the pricing more realistic.

I know that might all sound contradictory to my comments in another thread recently, but the price of the juice seems highly disproportionate to other Leatherman offerings, especially considering every tool on there disappoints me in some way or other - except maybe the corkscrew. The concept is incredible, but the execution is incredibly bad!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 12:26:05 AM
So the Wave is my favourite, and until it ran off somewhere in a corner of my house last weekend was carried all the time. It will be carried all the time once I find it again.  :facepalm:

What I've done to it to make it more my cup of tea:

• Removed the never used saw
  • Used the space where the saw used to be to store a long MUT driver bit
  • Added the Rebar pliers
  • Removed the scissors
  • Added the flat screwdriver from the Fuse, and ground it down to fit DIN rail terminal blocks

I think it's still missing a decent awl (like the one on the 93mm Vics), and the medium flat driver doesn't have as much reach as it could do.

One think I have been thinking about is scrapping the Wave and carrying a OHO folder along with a modded Rebar. Take the blades out and that should leave enough space to add a medium flathead and the bit driver. Sorted. I've already ground down the small driver on the Rebar to fit the screws I use regularly. Incidentally it's narrower (like the can opener) than the Fuse one. That would also mean that I could swap the fat Fuse driver and the narrow mini bit driver for the fat awl and thin Rebar driver in my Wave at some point.

Whilst carrying the MUT bit on the Wave is a bit clunky, it's actually more versatile and IMO more useful than the fixed Phillips bit. It fits better, because it's a proper #2 size rather than a compromise, and it has longer reach. I was doing something today that I know my Wave has done in the past that the Rebar couldn't do. I've though about putting the fixed driver in the Wave a few times, but I actually prefer the bit driver, for all its faults.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:39 AM
Leatherman Juice S2

Better scissors
non-aluminum scales.

Otherwise, pretty excellent tool.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32:47 AM
More comfortable handles for any mt that has outside opening tools.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

gr Offline firiki

Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 12:41:08 AM
Hmm... Lots of suggestions already. I guess there are many things to be improved.

Maybe a "Make your perfect multitool" thread would make everyone start daydreaming :think:   

I have thought about this for a while now and I would give my first born for a Spirit X with alox style handles and possibly colors.  :drool:

I have thought of this as well. Somehow here's the image I got in the end  ???  :D

Seriously, checkered steel handles should be awesome, if carefully designed. I'd settle with indentations on the narrow part of the pliers handles too, I think. Maybe this could be some sort of ruler as well? :think:

I can't really comment on Leathermans. I would be just ranting about this and that I don't like but, since I haven't used any, I won't say much. Only that I truly admire and revere the PST (I think the original Wave rocks too) and that I don't prefer needle-nosed pliers without a particular reason, that all tools should be accesible on the outside part of the handles and decently locking too, for me. Furthermore I'd like solid, comfortable enough handles to use. In stainless, if possible. I know I'm spoilt.  :whistle:

Customisable.  :tu:
Diamond file  :drool:.

Chisel, I like the chisel.
Scizzors.  :climber:

@Cupboard,  :multi:

Lose the wine bottle chipper (corkscrew assist)
So true. The small Leathermans should be a market of their own and at a competitive price, if you ask me.

Package opener instead of mult-purpose hook. Well, that's visionary  :salute: (I still like the hook, though.)

I wonder what's next?  :cheers:

Offline mulou

Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 06:22:02 AM
Just general stuff for all MTs..

- replacable and strong wire cutters on all plier heads
- Decent bit drivers, with zero wobble and long arms
- construction quality at least equivalent to non-MT
- interchangeable tools where possible, wide tools selection

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 06:27:19 AM

Could you resize your picture please?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 07:39:29 AM
I'm the milk man!

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:24 AM
On the Leatherman Wingman & Sidekick... I sure would appreciate some sort of locking mechanism for the blade while the pliers are deployed. I ended up with a nice slice in my finger while I was using the pliers on my Wingman because the blade deployed. Since then, I've tightened & applied loctite to the screw, but some sort of factory lock would be nice.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 10:47:47 AM

Could you resize your picture please?
It's uploaded from Wikipedia, I can't do much to that post now anyway  :-[

gr Offline firiki

Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
Replaceable wire cutters... I don't know... I think I prefer snips/side cutters style better. I'm not sure how functional these would be in the end.

On implements staying put. I've encountered the issue bdAmmo is talking about. I'm sure many others have, too. I hate it. I require some decent lock on any MT larger than 2". I would even envisage "piano flaps" if they were well made.

Just general stuff for all MTs..

- replacable and strong wire cutters on all plier heads
- Decent bit drivers, with zero wobble and long arms
- construction quality at least equivalent to non-MT
- interchangeable tools where possible, wide tools selection
Sound like this would be a great MT. Kinda pricey, too, I suspect!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 11:35:40 AM
Wish my Rebar had outside opening knife blade(s).
It's been really good as my workday EDC but the number of times I need a knife blade means I have been carrying an Alox Electrician as well just to avoid opening and closing the pliers twice every time I need to cut something.
Scissors would be handy too.
Maybe I should have hunted up a 2nd hand wave.  :multi:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 11:54:13 AM
LM, Gerber, SOG etc : sell your tools in Europe (and asia etc..) for the same price you sell them in the US.

Stop milking the rest of the world.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 05:25:54 PM
LM, Gerber, SOG etc : sell your tools in Europe (and asia etc..) for the same price you sell them in the US.

Stop milking the rest of the world.

Amen to that  :cheers:.

Although, is it Leatherman/Gerber/Sog that decide to make their tools more expensive abroad, or is it the fault of the local distributors ...?

Maybe Leatherman/Gerber/Sog should assign MTO members in countries around the world to act as distributor, I know I would accept that job for Belgium (hint hint ...  :pok:) if they paid me about what I earn now at my work (so I could quit my current job and work fulltime for a tool manufacturer ...  :dd:).

And I'm pretty sure no one here would be so greedy that they would make the prices of their tools higher just to make an extra pile of cash ...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%