Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Saddleback Leather (ID) Wallet anyone?

N_N_R · 105 · 14781

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Saddleback Leather (ID) Wallet anyone?
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:07 PM
Awesome choice. Ive been carrying this same wallet for the past year and love it. I also bought the credit card wallet and use that on occasion. They really make some great products. I am really tempted to buy one of their bags but they are very expensive, well worth the money I bet.

I also like their credit card wallet, but I think it won't fit cash well :( And I do need and like carrying cash..... I used to have the Maxpedition Micro before and I guess the SBL card wallet would be something similar... the banknotes are a little bit broader to fit there properly, folded only in half.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 09:02:46 PM
Awesome choice. Ive been carrying this same wallet for the past year and love it. I also bought the credit card wallet and use that on occasion. They really make some great products. I am really tempted to buy one of their bags but they are very expensive, well worth the money I bet.

I also like their credit card wallet, but I think it won't fit cash well :( And I do need and like carrying cash..... I used to have the Maxpedition Micro before and I guess the SBL card wallet would be something similar... the banknotes are a little bit broader to fit there properly, folded only in half.

It actually does carry cash well. I'm a cash carrier too and that was a concern for me before I bought it. I don't put cash in a cc sleeve just in the middle of the fold. It held about 8 bills pretty securely. I have though started carrying a money clip to keep my wallets slimmer.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 158.96 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 142.24 KB)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 09:14:10 PM
 :ahhh Stop the pictures :ahhh

Now I want one such, too  :facepalm:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 09:28:27 PM
I still wonder why the shipping directly from Saddleback's so expensive, though. This makes it virtually impossible (insane) for me to buy from there... well, I guess, not only for me, lol So from Amazon they were able to ship it for $10, which is also quite a lot for me, when added up to the whole sum, but saddlebackleather.com...:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:04 PM
wow shipping more than the item  :think:. can you contact them and let them know shipping from amazon is much less and could they ship similarly? 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:35:08 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:00 PM
wow shipping more than the item  :think:. can you contact them and let them know shipping from amazon is much less and could they ship similarly?

Yeah, if / when I decide what to buy next, I definitely will. There's a much greater variety of products on their site than on amazon, anyway. I'd actually forgotten the shipping was THAT much. I just knew it was a lot and went for amazon... shipping almost twice the price of the item, lol.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:00 PM
And add to it the import customs charges that are calculated on the item + shipping :ahhh

wow shipping more than the item  :think: . can you contact them and let them know shipping from amazon is much less and could they ship similarly? 

And make them cancel the amazon shipping.... :twak:

>:D

I know Vladimir got them to reduce the shipping for him by a bit a few years back but they still charge insane amounts for shipping on the site.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 09:52:37 PM
And add to it the import customs charges that are calculated on the item + shipping :ahhh

Yes, I'd never had to pay that VAT thing before, but I did for this item  :ahhh eBay's safer :D

And make them cancel the amazon shipping.... :twak:

>:D

Could they ?!

I know Vladimir got them to reduce the shipping for him by a bit a few years back but they still charge insane amounts for shipping on the site.

I wonder how "a bit" this was... It needs to be reduced by a lot, lol. If it could arrive within 3 or so days right at your door, I guess someone would pay that much (definitely not me), but still..

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 09:53:48 PM
Yup, they also wanted to charge me more for the shipping than for the wallet itself.
And they intended to use UPS which would add further expenses upon arrival.
Luckily, after couple exchanged emails they agreed upon using USPS, but with insurance and tracking.
I had to pay customs charges, so the final price was ridiculous, but it was worth it, their medium wallet is the best wallet ever.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 10:55:43 PM
would shipping to another location utilizing amazons free shipping then from that location forward it to you be a possiblity?  shipping to Bulgaria is gonna cost but $60 is outrageous  :o 
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 06:15:15 AM
Glad you are enjoying it. I lost 2 of them so far (both left in taxis!) and the last one I actually put out a reward of $100 for it (they could keep everything else) because I knew I wouldn't be able to replace it while I was in Philippines. Of course it never showed back up, but I have a third one now and am still loving it.

I use a money clip to keep cash, helps to keep the wallet in great shape. My ID window started super tight too, but now my ID slides in and out. Course I only keep two cards, my ID, and a few business cards in mine.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 08:36:46 AM
@Vladimir

Thanks for the input. So it seems with SBL we can't avoid those customs charges ?! I've had more expensive stuff coming from abroad (though from China and bought from eBay) and I never had to pay any additional charges.

@Aloha,

Yeah,, too much. I guess anything different than the regular post service would cost a lot... but I'll again refer to eBay and guys sending such items (items of such weight) either for free or for 8$ maximum.

@dmanuel,

Ohh, I'm really sorry about your lost wallets... that's awful. I also "left" a wallet in a taxi two years or so ago and I hope this won't happen to the SBL. It's the perfect wallet for me - I can see why some US guys have trouble putting USD in it- the bills are longer than ours... but for my money it's perfect.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 08:50:56 PM
There's been the SBL business card holder in tobacco on Amazon for a few days now.... and I couldn't help ordering it :facepalm:

I think I'm on my way to a new addiction............

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 03:54:22 PM
As photobucket's giving me some trouble, I've attached a few pictures of my new arrival: the credit card wallet :D

With three cards on each side; with some cash just folded and tucked there; "closed" with the cash sticking out a little (of course).

2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 204.49 KB)
3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 187.1 KB)
4.jpg
* 4.jpg (Filesize: 260.6 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 04:41:57 PM
Very nice NNR!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: February 07, 2014, 07:16:02 PM
Congrats on the new acquisition. :cheers:

Any side by side pics with the ID maybe? :whistle:

:D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #46 on: February 07, 2014, 08:37:02 PM
Thanks, guys:D

Sure, I may take some side by side pictures later or tomorrow :) I even had a few, but didn't upload them as the freakin photobucket was being mean and I didn't want to put more in this... file-attachment view here.

Basically the Card Holder is a little narrower than the ID, which is amazing. They're about the same length.

The Card Holder's "finish" is velvetish and feels soft... while the chestnut ID was.. smooth/glossy leather. The Card Holder is much less tight than the ID wallet - in the card holder I managed to put three plastic cards in each slot right away and if it loosens up, I guess I'll be able to put even more. The ID one's definitely stiff, though. I could hardly squeeze one card in each slot initially.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: February 07, 2014, 08:57:32 PM
OK, looking forward to the pics then. Thanks for the info too. :cheers: PB seems to be a bit weirder than usual lately. :-\ Hope your account gets sorted soon. :tu:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #48 on: February 08, 2014, 07:15:45 AM
PB's now working... Yesterday I tried to sign in like 20 times, while it was giving me wrong password or user name and suggesting that I sign in via my FaceBook account. I stubbornly didn't... Now it's okay. But getting the links is a pain in the smurf.

Here are the pictures I'd taken yesterday. Not the best, but today's going to be a busy day, turns out. So, if you're curious and need some more, I'll take them tomorrow :))

In these pictures the Card HOlder has 6 cards in it and hte ID's empty.

Tried to put the Card Holder on top of the ID, for you to see the ID's a little wider:

Btw, enki, why don't you order one from amazon now that it seems it's possible? You said you'd have bought one before, didn't you? :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: February 08, 2014, 03:10:40 PM
Thanks for the pics, Niki. :cheers:

Btw, enki, why don't you order one from amazon now that it seems it's possible? You said you'd have bought one before, didn't you? :D

I didn't order one yet as I'm quite happy with the one I got from India this summer. I't holding out great, is very slim and has a proper sized money pocket. I love the saddleback leather thought, I have their Sleeve Wallet already through a trade and enjoy the craftsmanship, so I'll end up with another one sooner or later. ;)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 10:11:59 AM
Spamming a little more with a few more pictures... I just love these wallets  :whistle: And the pictures of course aren't with the best quality.... it's just my Nokia, my floor and me one-handed..

So, the Credit Card Wallet is brand new, 2 days old, in tobacco. The ID wallet is in chestnut and I'd carried it for exactly 35 days before the CC one arrived.

Tried to show how the logos look on different colours....  :-\

Then the doggy and the letters:

The ID's definitely wider than the CC wallet.

This is the CC profile with 6 cards and about 10 banknotes in it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 03:53:44 PM
Nice, but why did you do two diff colors? JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 04:12:52 PM
Nice, but why did you do two diff colors? JR

Because my favourite was tobacco, but when I found the ID one on Amazon, there wasn't tobacco available. I was so excited that I found them cheaper that I ordered whatever I saw first, lol. Then I thought about ordering the CC one, too... but there wasn't tobacco, so I was hesitating... and once the tobacco showed up, I went for it. :D

Now they have the ID in tobacco, too, but too late  :twak:

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 03:41:29 PM
Nice wallet!
I like that color...

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 03:59:03 PM
Nice wallet!
I like that color...

Thanks :) Yesterday I checked Amazon again and the credit card wallets were all out of stock, so I'm even happier I got that, lol.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 05:38:49 AM
Nice you got the credit card wallet! That's an awesome one. I'm thinking of buying another one just so I can smell the new leather again. One of my favorite smells.... By the way with the ID wallet, the credit card in the bottom pocket will begin to leave a number indention and it will show through. Not a big deal for me but for some it maybe.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 08:20:14 AM
Hi, yeah, I've noticed that the numbers will show, so I've put a .. card with, let's say, flat numbers down there. It doesn't bother me either, but I think it will destroy the nice wallet :)

As for the credit card one, I think it's also becoming my favorite, even more than the ID one - it covers and therefore protects your cards completely. This is its advantage. In the ID one, however, you can carry a lot more cash.

I don't like the fact that the card wallet changed its color so quickly. I expected it, of course, and most people are happy with the so called patina on it, but I loved the original tobacco colour and the velvety finish. Now it's absolutely smooth and it's become darker.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #57 on: June 13, 2014, 09:01:00 AM
My Credit Card Wallet after ... about 3 - 4 months of non-stop EDC (I've had it for longer, but I sometimes swap it with the ID one)

Good I have its original photos here as I don't remember its real colour anymore :D
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 161.3 KB)
5.jpg
* 5.jpg (Filesize: 240.91 KB)
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 161.64 KB)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #58 on: June 25, 2014, 09:22:12 PM
I saw an interesting idea in this video the other day :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7FLJtp0ao

Use a hairpin as a money clip in the SBL credit card wallet. I tried it... and it does work well. Just the fact that you can see the pin outside at the back bugs me a bit. And also it sometimes catches on your pocket when you put the wallet in. But maybe it depends on the type of hairpin  :think:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #59 on: August 21, 2014, 03:24:22 PM
So, we know the all so desired "patina" and glossiness that SBL wallets are supposed to get with time? So did mine. Well, I'm not a fan of it, lol. I think it just makes wallets look all dirty and disgusting. So..... I tried to do something with mine, but I'm not sure I like it. Maybe I'll keep the work going until I remove all visible streaks :D Or it'll eventually smooth out again on its own. Well, now it at least looks different and there's again some texture to it :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%