Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a new keychain flashlight.

Offline TSabatine

Looking for a new keychain flashlight.
on: January 04, 2014, 04:45:20 AM
I know this isn't a dedicated flashlight forum, I also posted this on edcforums as well but As the title says I'm in the market for a new keychain light.

Currently I have a stream light nano attached to my key ring. I'm thinking I want something with a bit more power but not much more bulk. I think id be ok with a AAA sized light.

Ideally it would be led with a solid runtime and somewhere in the $20 range.

I'm sort of a noob when it comes to flashlights, most of my time on these forums so far has been spent researching and discussing multi tools and pocket knives.

I'd really appreciate any recommendations you may have as well as any afterthoughts I may have missed in my considerations.

Thanks in advance !

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline blooper

Re: Looking for a new keychain flashlight.
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:16 AM
I would highly recommend the fenix e05. Its really compact and bright. Runs off Aaa battery, twist on. Nice white beam. Fairly light in weight.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:01:24 AM
I recommend the MagLite Solitair LED. Not only is it prettier than the E05 ;), I also think the way its turned on/off is superior.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:19:56 AM
For a AAA light that is as small as possible, a brighter than the Nano and around the $20 mark I do think the E05 is hard to beat.

Other excellent lights to look at are the Olight i3 and the ThruNite Ti (lots of variations of this light so makes sure you are buying the right one for you).
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 04:58:08 PM
Another recommendation for the Fenix E05. I have both that and the Solitaire LED and find the Fenix much better. It is more solidly built, shorter (but slightly fatter) and the beam is a better shape.

The E05 has a fairly floody beam with a soft edge to the hotspot. The Solitaire has a much more focussed beam and IME turning the head to focus it does very little until you just get a rather dim splodge. It doesn't seem to spread the hotspot out at all, it just fades out the hotspot. That said if you want a more throwy beam and are only choosing between those two then the Solitaire is better.

As I understand it the Fenix has better (or at least some rather than none) regulation. I've found the battery life to be good.

Offline TSabatine

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:35:08 AM
The olight i3 looks like it's gonna get the nod for this one.

Thank you all for your input! Been a great help!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:21 AM
The Olight is going to feel quite big compared to your Nano, but it's a superb light for your money.  Let us know how you get on with it. :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:35:44 PM
I'd go for a Fenix E01 every time :) I own about 5 of the bloody things and have gifted loads of them away too :) A great runtime, and bombproof construction too, I can't recommend them enough mate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:37:42 PM
Just seen your last reply, doh!

The Olights great. I bought one for my brother over two years ago and despite daily use he hasn't killed it yet, despite being incredibly hard on things! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:29 PM
Go with the FourSevens P0 or the P1. I've tried a lot of lights and these are the best options.

-AdmSlc

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 04:02:30 PM
I have not been that impressed with the Fenix E05, though I have given a few as presents with no complaints coming back, but I have no idea how much they get used.

The way it works for me is that my keychain torch is my MAIN torch, meaning that it is the one that will get me out of any trouble and will be on me at any time, so it is a lot more important than any other torch I may have.

I have been more than happy for a few years with my Tank007 E09; takes any battery in its size (AAA, LiIons) and is able to utilise them well. Hard as nails, cheap (used to be a lot cheaper) never let me down and is on me 90% of the time (gave a few as presents too).
Produces a lot more light than the Fenix, has 3 settings.
I have also had good luck with the Ultrafire E05s.
Finally, check this sub forum as similar questions have been asked before and the answers there may help you too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:30 PM
Go with the FourSevens P0 or the P1. I've tried a lot of lights and these are the best options.

The p1 is in the 30+ cost range, so might be a bit much for the OP, but the P0 is at about $20.

I'm currently carrying a P0 in my setup. It is insanely small for a AAA light. If you like floody lights, I recommend it. I have also found that the incredibly low low setting (like .25 lumen) is really useful for when you need to see something up close, but don't want to blast your night vision.

I got a E11 for a friend for his birthday, and he LOVES it, so i wouldn't hesitate to recommend Fenix products.

And, if you're just looking for a very small, decent light, maybe consider a photon, or a knock-off 'fauxton'.
http://forum.multitool.org/cheap-cheerful-(or-otherwise!)/the-fauxton-flashlight/

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 06:52:01 PM
They might seem a bit pricey for what you get, but I've had an Arc AAA on my keyring for almost ten years and it's never failed me.

Offline TSabatine

Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:48:12 PM
I didn't realize how tough a decision this was going to end up becoming. Lol!

I'm revamping my keychain with some heavier use stuff, my idea is that this could serve as my
Only edc gear when I run out of the house quickly or if I am not able to suit up with my full sized light and multi.

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming, I'm gonna sleep on this one a few more nights I think.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 12:43:58 AM
I'd go for a Fenix E01 every time :) I own about 5 of the bloody things

This.

These suckers are regulated to run without dimming for something like 11 hours, with another 11 hours or so of diminishing light.  They aren't as bright as the E05, but give you longer run time.  In a dark environment, they are plenty bright.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 10:50:51 PM
For me the Fenix E05 is the best keyring general purpose torch.

Reasons:

1) as simple as it can be, just one mode, no fiddling around turing it off and on
2) floody beam, which suits most purposes for using a torch
3) good level of brightness, not too bright which would run the battery down too fast, and not too dim to not be so useful in certain situations, just right!
4) excellent size and construction, running off 1 AAA battery

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 11:39:21 PM
I currently use that 2.99$ red led light. It's very good for keychain, lightweight and small, easily turned on and of. It doesn't ruin night vision and I read astronomy maps in the field or light my cross reticle in my telescope finder or the concentric rings of my collimating eyepiece. For bright white (or any other color) light I just use my iPhone.
I don't know if it suits you but I think you might give it a try. Similar in concept with Victorinox SAK red led but much brighter.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 11:40:59 PM
Forgot a pic.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 08:14:31 AM
I currently use that 2.99$ red led light. It's very good for keychain, lightweight and small, easily turned on and of. It doesn't ruin night vision and I read astronomy maps in the field or light my cross reticle in my telescope finder or the concentric rings of my collimating eyepiece. For bright white (or any other color) light I just use my iPhone.
There has been quite a bit of discussion over at CPF on preserving night vision.  IIRC The general consensus amongst the (several) experts is that at very low light levels NVG green are better than red, while white LEDs are also good and and make reading many things a lot easier because of superior colour rendition and you don't need as high a light level. 

I like my Photon (made by LRI) Freedom Micro with white LED for its ability to quickly and easily give me the amount of light I want (these have a great user interface).  I recommend the "covert nose" version to avoid the annoying side glare you get from an exposed LED.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 04:41:01 PM
There has been quite a bit of discussion over at CPF on preserving night vision.  IIRC The general consensus amongst the (several) experts is that at very low light levels NVG green are better than red, while white LEDs are also good and and make reading many things a lot easier because of superior colour rendition and you don't need as high a light level. 

I like my Photon (made by LRI) Freedom Micro with white LED for its ability to quickly and easily give me the amount of light I want (these have a great user interface).  I recommend the "covert nose" version to avoid the annoying side glare you get from an exposed LED.

This is a good read on the subject. I prefer low-low moonlight mode white LED flashlights to red LEDs personally.

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 11:04:21 PM
I have a multitude of red LEDs and two of these dimable Skywatchers where I added two sheets of Lee Color Fire filters to dim them more.
I used the same filter with my car's internal lights and others, like a Minimag. And one for my iPhone.
It is a must in Astroparties to use only red lights. If they see you with a white one they might kick you out. You don't have other options really.

Offline mulou

Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 04:24:50 PM
note that the  MagLite Solitaire LED is twice cheaper than the Fenix E05 ($10 vs $23).
They seem  more or less similar to me.  Ive a Fenix because nice colors ;-)

None are as good as a bigger flashlight, but they're good enough. I even used the E05 on a bike with zarro light through the forest and it worked out pretty decently, so the intensity isn't all that bad.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 07:31:44 PM
note that the  MagLite Solitaire LED is twice cheaper than the Fenix E05 ($10 vs $23).

None are as good as a bigger flashlight, but they're good enough. I even used the E05 on a bike with zarro light through the forest and it worked out pretty decently, so the intensity isn't all that bad.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having to try that! :o

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 09:06:20 PM

I'm not sure I like the idea of having to try that! :o
Me neither, just ordered the TrustFire TR-D008, 2000 lumen!!! 8)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 10:24:09 PM
My dad used to commute in to Birmingham city centre with nothing more than a little dynamo light
 :ahhh

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 07:27:46 AM
With small AAA torches you need to compromise.

An e.g. Tank007 E09 is bright enough to be used as a bike light (about 120Lm) and I have used it as one on occasion. However at the high setting it will only last for about 20 minutes, so it will depend on how long you need to cycle.

On its lower settings, or on the standard setting of the fenix E05, you get less light but you get a much longer running time; a few hours I think.

As pointed above most older, and many newer, bike lights are working with 10-30lm or less.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Cogito

Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 10:57:58 AM
I carry a tiny flashlight I got from ebay for $1 with free shipping.  If it's allowed I can put the link here, the main benefit is that it also has a laser pointer in it which comes in handy from time to time :)

edit: also I read an article online saying that very dim green light is more effective than red light for maintaining night vision.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 03:58:41 AM
Don't buy Led Lenser K-series products.  My K1 looks like total crap from only a few months of banging around on my key ring.  The tailcap is plastic, it takes four tiny batteries, and it's just got an LED jammed in the head.  I also find the twist mechanism to be almost impossible to turn with one hand.  I've ordered a 10 pack of fauxtons and I'm gonna replace my K1 with those.

I really like my P3 AFS P, it's powerful and compact but it eats batteries.  I love the optics.  It's got the same anodized coating, so I wouldn't carry it on a key ring, but as a pocket light, it's great.  Someday I think there's a P5 in my future.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 01:24:55 PM
You can't really loose with a Fenix E01 or E05 for your price range.They're both really great little AAA key chain flash lights, I've had the E01 on my key chain for over a year and the finish has held up really well, puts out a decent amount of light for over 10 hours. I just switched to the E05 which is a bit smaller and a fair bit brighter but the batteries last only 2-3 hours.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 135.16 KB)
darren

Offline Namsob77

Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 11:12:11 PM
Another Fenix E05

Tiny size, enough light, and great price!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%