Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirks slip joint field test

kirk13 · 127 · 12614

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Kirks slip joint field test
Reply #90 on: January 27, 2014, 03:17:00 AM
That Buck is tiny!  Overall I do like the Chinese-made Buck slipjoints.  I have a 371 Stockman, the 373 Trio, and a 385 Muskrat (which is actually a Moose, but oh well).  They do make for nice working knives, but they're a bit more substantial in size than that one you have there.  Looking forward to seeing how you get along with it.  :popcorn:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #91 on: January 27, 2014, 07:34:08 AM
There is a 30% increase in price to get a US one but still think the Chinese ones could have been cheaper, like the RR (same factories allegedly).

With the US ones you also get a bigger variety of handle materials.

Now if they came with a Chinese yellow derlin 301(371) for $20... 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:10 PM
Well,its day three of the Bucks turn on stag,and its first day of true testing.

Sunday I was at a burger bar in London for a leaving do. The burger was massive,and could have used being cut in half,but,firstly,I didn't think it was a good idea pulling a knife out,and secondly,I don't think the blade would have been close to long enough!

Today the little Buck has done a bit of boxing,very successfully, trimmed the tail wheel assembly for a Hawker Typhoon,and a few other bits of random cutting and slicing. I've been delighted as to how well it's coped! I misaligned my cut on one of the boxes,and it still cut through three mil corigated cardboard without a hitch :tu:

Oddly enough,the ergonomics are far better than they look,and allow an easy grip. The only place where I've felt the need for caution has been closing the blades...there's not a lot of body it,and I think it would be easy to nip yourself as a blade closes,especially if you were tired,or under pressure

I'd been more than half hoping the Deuce would flunk out,and I'd get to use the China Cadet,but the little Buck has been a revelation,and is more than holding its own so far :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:26 AM
Update on the Deuce... Thursday was a day of mixed results. First real stock delivery of the new year arrived in. The small blade ate it all up without trouble. Only real thing of note was that the small blade suffered quickly from gumming up on the brown tape on the boxes.

The Deuce got its first run through the kitchen duties last night,and while the big blade is more than sharp enough,and the ergonomics are good, the blade was just too short to be 100% sucessful chopping onions!and bear in mind,I tend to choose smallish ones at that.

I've left the Deuce at home today,and brought the Cadet instead,but given that I'm nearly two hours into a 40min trip,who knows if it'll see any use :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: January 31, 2014, 02:01:43 PM

I've left the Deuce at home today,and brought the Cadet instead,but given that I'm nearly two hours into a 40min trip,who knows if it'll see any use :rant:

You take NJ Transit too?  :think:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: January 31, 2014, 02:14:07 PM

You take NJ Transit too?  :think:

No Tom,it's just another thing you Colonials learnt from the Mother country

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: February 04, 2014, 12:32:08 PM
Well,the slippies are getting a weeks rest,due to my being on holiday.

The China Cadet got two days carry at the end iPod last week,and I have to say I rather like it. It's got all the great things of the 301/371, just at a weight that makes it easy to pocket carry.

The bigger size and weight compared to the Deuce and Peanut make it a good boxer. The only odd job the Cadet took on was scoring some Perspex to creat a snap line, to remove some material with my LM pliers. The Cadet was nice and controllable .

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: February 04, 2014, 12:41:19 PM
Mid-term update

So far we've tried the RR Peanut,RR Riflestock,Case Mini Trapper and the Buck Deuce.

For my money so far the big winner has been the RR Peanut! For the combination of useability,finish and cost,it's been the out right winner so far. I love the Case,really, I love the Case,but its £20 more than the Peanut,and I got that at a Bargain price! Can I justify the price of a Case?  :ahhh  :ahhh :twak: I hate myself for this ,but yes,yes I can! Its a beautiful artifact that is useable! And yes,I'm sure I'll be getting myself another before too long :facepalm:

The big bright side is that there hasn't yet been a loser! The big finding for me is that the cheap knives have been just great! While the FnF don't match the Case,they have nothing to be ashamed of,especially compared to the couple of Cheapish British folders I have.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: February 28, 2014, 12:53:14 AM
Oh,this really is overdue an update :facepalm: 

Oh and NutSAK has been  :pok: me about this too  :D

Ok,so we were last here,I was leaving work for a bit of a holiday. Add to that,a dose of Delhi Belly,and I was away from work for ten days.

Since being back,I've been carrying the Wenger Patriot. For those of you who followed last years Fit test,you'll remember the Patriot rode shotgun,cutting apples and so on. The Wenger didn't see any dirty work,so to speak.

I included the Wenger as a counterpoint to the American style slippies,and TBH, I thought it would end up being the runaway winner. The Wenger takes a nice edge,without too much work,as we'd expect. It's very slim,very light, and just disappears into your pocket.

Fortunately,I had a delivery of stock,just in time to give the Patriot a workout. The Wenger cut and chopped well,as good if not better than any of the others put on trail. The down side is the Patriot is so light and thin it kinda compromises its handling. I tended to find that the Patriot would twist a lot in my hand. It was also a bit too easy to pick it up from the wrong side...ie instead of the backspring resting in your grip,your hand would potentially be in the path of a closing blade. Unlike its bigger brothers,you don't have the openers,or back tools to offer you an instinctive guide.

In short,the Wenger is good,but,it's a light duty knife. It can cope with heavy duty stuff,but it's not best suited to it . Its true métier is as a gentleman's folder,ironically enough! It's the one you slip into your pocket going to a business meeting;when your wearing a sharp suit;when its a just in case you need to slice a apple.

The Wenger is actually the closest we've had to a fail,which is the second biggest surprise I've had in this test. Let me be clear...the Wenger is not a bad knife,it's just too thin and too light! I'd really thought this one would end up being the runaway winner,but it's been the Kingdom of Americana!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: February 28, 2014, 01:01:06 AM
To quote Murray Walker...unless I'm very much mistaken...

I think I've now actually finished the test line up.

I'm still :mail: everyday,hoping to see a RR Barlow arrive,but I fear the combined forces of USPS and the Royal Mail will prevent it arriving. I'm also hoping to see a Case Whittler in the not too distant future.

If there are any other knives you'd like to see put to the test,let me know!

DKS,as much as I'd love to give a GEC a go,I think they're well beyond my means,or at least my baseline meanness!

Otherwise,I'll let things ride for a few days,then draw up some final conclusions,thoughts and observations

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #100 on: February 28, 2014, 02:20:12 AM
:popcorn:
Defend the Hive!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #101 on: February 28, 2014, 08:23:08 AM
Nice to see you kept the us informed Kirk.

As for GEC, you should look into the Farm and Field line or the ones marked as EDC, which are the so called shop models; not really called seconds but with a small problem. You may be able to get a GEC from $50 or less. Try to go for a newer model as the older ones may have very hard backsprings.
e.g.:
F&F:  http://shop.oldhundredcollectibles.com/Farm-Field-Tools_c60.htm
EDC : http://shop.oldhundredcollectibles.com/Tidioute-47-Viper-Indian-Paintbrush-EDC-470114-paintbrush-edc.htm

I would also suggest Queen, where you can have a nice knife, with D2 steel for just over $30:
http://shop.tsaknives.com/Queen-Cutlery-70-Country-Cousin-Burgundy-70-Burgundy.htm

Both sellers are recomended and should be able to provide you with a $10-$15 shipping option.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:27:06 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #102 on: February 28, 2014, 09:22:46 AM
Cheers for the update John. :)  While I don't have the Patriot I do have the Vic counterpart and I understand where you are coming from re the thinness.  With that in mind I do tend to carry the Cellidor scaled Pocket Pal far more often as it does fit my hand that bit better.  Its certainly done quite a few days and weeks as a working knife over the last four years. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #103 on: March 03, 2014, 02:50:51 AM
I've had a couple of RR's and I'm baffled how they can make such a good knife, ship it across half the planet and still make a profit ??? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

They can do it because the Chinese pay next to nothing for labor compared to the US, the UK, Germany & Switzerland. 
Perception is reality

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: March 03, 2014, 09:27:28 AM
@dks :Thanks for the links...I think. That orange scaled Soddie is  :drool:

@Gareth: tbh,if a Pocket Pal popped up at the right price,I'd have it. Pas you say,the Cellidor would make a real difference

As an FYI, there's now a yellow scaled RR medium stockman in on the EDC. So far I'm very pleased,but I'll add more as the week goes on :tu:

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #105 on: March 03, 2014, 06:44:21 PM

@Gareth: tbh,if a Pocket Pal popped up at the right price,I'd have it. Pas you say,the Cellidor would make a real difference

As an FYI, there's now a yellow scaled RR medium stockman in on the EDC. So far I'm very pleased,but I'll add more as the week goes on :tu:

you are really making me rethink the rough rider knives.

I still haven't seen one in person but from what kirky says I'm missing out.

Defend the Hive!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: March 03, 2014, 06:50:29 PM

JA,for the money,they're dynamite! And in the States you get them about half the price of us in the UK!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: March 04, 2014, 05:19:44 AM

JA,for the money,they're dynamite! And in the States you get them about half the price of us in the UK!

They don't have the F&F of some of their more expensive counter parts, but seem to be pretty serviceable knives for their generally $10 - $15 price point.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: March 04, 2014, 03:53:16 PM
One of the things I was looking at at the outset was whether or not the cost of a Case was justified compared to brands like a Rough Rider.

I'm still not altogether sure I'm pleased that that the Case does,but I will say that that I prefer Rough Riders to Spydies(shock horror!)! I'm not saying that RRs are better,be it in FnF,or quality,or for the exotic steels,but there's an honesty to them that's appealing,and,tbh,I think they're far more attractive( and yes I've had Spydies)

Anyway....before anyone goes :worthless:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:10:56 PM by kirk13 »

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #109 on: March 04, 2014, 06:34:58 PM
Nice looking knife kirky

is it a sow belly stockman ???

off topic a little

I got offended a nice gift today.

a green rough rider stockman

I don't think a slippy will ever replace my spyder but I can easily see that it should be a great combination when used together.

some folks get a little bug eyed when I pull out my endura to cut something.

the rough rider shouldn't make anyone nervous.

Thanks d.

now I can see for myself what all the talk bragging up rough rider is about.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:40:59 PM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #110 on: March 04, 2014, 11:43:07 PM
I have to admit, that sowbelly with the lined bolsters looks 'real nice.  :tu:

I've had a couple of Patriots in the past.  I can't stand the way they feel.  One thing I have to have in an EDC knife is some palm swell for better feel and control.  This is why I carry a Farmer so frequently--I really only need the tools of a Pioneer, but the Farmer feels so much better!  Much of this stems from me carrying a Camper in my youth, though.  I just got used to that "boxy" feel.
- Terry

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: March 04, 2014, 11:55:48 PM

Sorry about the duplicate pics...photophuckit was playing up :facepalm:

@JA I'll be interested to hear what you think of the RR :pok:

@NutSAK I agree about preferring the Farmer to the Pioneer. I tend to think that three layers is the optimal...unless its a Tinker >:D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #112 on: March 05, 2014, 12:54:08 AM
@NutSAK I agree about preferring the Farmer to the Pioneer. I tend to think that three layers is the optimal...unless its a Tinker >:D

Three layers in ALOX, especially.  Most 3-layer cellidor models feel great too, but there's quite a bit of variation in the layer widths.  For instance, a Cybertool 29 feels about the same as an Explorer due to the wide bit driver layer.  Four or more layer cellidor models still feel great in hand, but are a bit much in the pocket at times.

I carry cellidor SAKs that are much wider than that, though (CT34, Champion), but I usually carry those in a pouch.

I have the same issue with single-layer traditional slippies too, unless there is some swell in the scales.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:55:56 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #113 on: March 05, 2014, 02:30:49 AM
That is a nice looking knife.

that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: March 16, 2014, 10:24:20 PM
Time for an update,as we have two knives to comment on.

So,the RR Stockman. Oh,great little knife! Really,I like this one a lot!

As with the other RRs that have been tested here,the blades are plenty sharp out of the box. The blade that seen the most use was the Sheepsfoot. Whilst it lost its edge half way through two pallets of toy cars,a couple,three swipes through the Vic sharpener brought it right back up to spec.

The big win for the Stockman was on ergonomics. This is one of THE most comfortable working knives I've ever used. In the past the strange curves of the traditional American slippies have kinda put me off,but,after the Peanut,the MiniTrapper and particularly the Stockman,colour me converted! For ten pounds British,everyone should have a RR Stockman!

The only thing I'd,not criticise, but advise,is try get a jiggled set of scales rather than the fake delerins. They'll look better,and be a better set of contact points for the hand.

The second one to look at is the Case Humpback Whittler I got from NutSAK. It's my first CV bladed pocket knife. The ergonomics of the Humpback are very different to the Stockman pattern,but still very comfortable to use. The jiggled bone scales offer good purchase,the CV blade takes a truly wicked edge. Unlike the RR,the Case has three back springs,which add width and weight,which makes it a little less pocketable,but it's still well with in comfortable tolerances. I'm not sure its as pretty as the Mini a Trapper,but its a better pattern for work EDC.

I've ordered another Case,an actual Pen Knife pattern,with deletion scales...I'll be back with a report! 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:33:29 PM by kirk13 »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: March 16, 2014, 11:43:53 PM
What pattern is the whittler?  I think I'm gonna have to pick one of them up at some point.  The Case pattern 087 penknife is a great little slipjoint.  Mine is in CV with the yellow Derlin scales.  I carry that little sucker a lot.  :tu:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #116 on: March 17, 2014, 12:59:04 AM
The Humpback Whittler is pattern 63046.  I can no longer find them for sale in CV except on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-2010-Dark-Red-Bone-Humpback-Whittler-Chrome-Vanadium-Blades-/171256198830?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item27dfaa36ae

It's a long knife with a shorter main, but the benefit there is that none of the blades are "proud" of the frame when folded, making it very comfortable in the hand.  The pen and spey blades are fairly long.

If you do a Google search for images of the knife, you will find several of my pictures of this particular knife from MTO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=case+humpback+whittler&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=DzwmU_aTL8icrAG0wYHYCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1262&bih=800#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=b0BZNt9TVMW84M%253A%3Buu3TklFzvdqE1M%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Flh5.googleusercontent.com%252F_oxNq_m4khcI%252FTYkrMMJLaHI%252FAAAAAAAAAUU%252F7xWCfa_WoLQ%252Fs1600%252FP3222872.JPG%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.multitool.org%252Findex.php%253Ftopic%253D26931.0%3B1600%3B1198

https://www.google.com/search?q=case+humpback+whittler&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=DzwmU_aTL8icrAG0wYHYCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1262&bih=800#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=_LWS5eQpyLhDwM%253A%3Buu3TklFzvdqE1M%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Flh3.googleusercontent.com%252F_oxNq_m4khcI%252FTYkrFH79zvI%252FAAAAAAAAAUE%252F-RIUg0Fi6r4%252Fs1600%252FP3222869.JPG%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.multitool.org%252Findex.php%253Ftopic%253D26931.0%3B1600%3B1198
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:05:49 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #117 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:14 AM
Two more very good looking knives mate. :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: March 20, 2014, 10:24:04 AM
This week,I've had the Buck 373 back in action,and very well it's done too,but here's the last subject for the test

Watch this space....

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #119 on: March 24, 2014, 12:11:45 PM
I really like the looks of that one mate, how's it been working out?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%