Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mini review of online shops from China/Taiwan etc.

dks · 35 · 5092

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Mini review of online shops from China/Taiwan etc.
on: January 11, 2014, 01:28:04 PM
I see members asking about where to get gadgets knives etc. so I compiled a short list of some Chinese online sellers that I have bought from and with which I am generally happy to buy items from again. The usual suspects (eBay etc. were left out as you know about them)
I have bought at least 2 items from each one during the past couple of years.
These are just from my own experience and members should make their own decisions on where to buy from.
In general they all sell similar items and you can have good or bad experiences with any of them.
Also they will all be flexible with the item price they display on your parcel and at least one will let you design your own shipping label, if you are interested in such things.

I advice people to:
Compare prices.
Look for discount coupons (e.g. CPF and BLF have, on a permanent basis, discount "codes/coupons" for a few of these for torches.
Make sure you are comparing the same items.
Look at their bulk discounts and shipping options.
Check for availability.
Some will have US or/and EU warehouses too.
Ask questions.

There you are:

DX  (Deal extreme): The big daddy, pretty decent, good selection, lots of discount coupons available mainly for electronic gear/gadgets. Reasonable shipping time and cost. However, usually their prices are beaten by smaller sites.

Focalprice: another old site, some good prices on batteries and electronic equipment, used to be very good for SRM knives too. Their customer service is bad as they will not read your previous communications and will just keep answering the same question again and again the same way, without seeing what others have answered before (like talking to an automated answering system). Coupons available. I used to buy many things from them until a couple of years ago. Now I only buy the odd item.

Dinodirect : a reasonably new but big shop with good offers on torches and lots of discount coupons. Seems to be nearly as big as DX. Faster shipping time and reasonable cost. Good online customer service.

SPAMCORP: A newcomer with good prices on RC items and some good offers on torches. Faster shipping time and reasonable cost. Good customer service so far. They may be part of DX.

Wallbuys: another new, seemingly big company. Good selection, coupons but very slow shipping.

Exduct: an older site that is supposedly the main SRM, Navy, Bee, Enlan knife dealer. They used to be cheaper than all before they started including shipping on their prices (i.e. “free shipping”).  They have some good specials and the largest selection of good Chinese knives and are a respected company. Not many coupons available.

Bestofferbuy: a new decent site with some good offers. Not many coupons available.

Kaidomain: An oldish site that is pretty reliable for various items. Not many coupons available.

Manafont: Good for decent laptop batteries and other items. Not many coupons available.

Etotalk: Great for Mobile phones. Very professional customer service.

There are more e.g. alibaba but I am either not happy with them or have not had enough experience with them to comment.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:34:13 PM by AHB »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Re: Mini review of online shops from China/Taiwan etc.
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:18:48 PM
  Cheers for the review mate!!!   :cheers:

Much appreciated!!!  :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:03:00 PM
Spend, spend, spend!!!     :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:10:40 PM
Thanks for the list. I've bought from a few of them myself.

DX is on we all know so ... no need to explain. :D

Haven't bought anything from any of them in a long time though. I hate that Exduct decided to "include shipping". Everything is now double the price if not more from what it was before (with shipping charges). :rant: Luckily I got myself a decent stash of my favorite models before the change.

I bought a few times from Focalprice. They had a decent selection of SRM knives (but never actually called them Sanrenmu or SRM :shrug: ) at the best prices available online, even cheaper than exduct. I also had the longest time for a shipment from them. 4 or 5 months. And it came soaked with water damage. :-\ They canceled my order though and sent me my money back. :tu:

Dinodirect was the only order I made ever (out of several hundred ) that got lost in the mail. They sent me a gift certificate which I traded for a Tank007 E09  (wonder who persuaded me to do that :P ) which arrived safely and fast. Didn't order from them after tht though.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:05:52 AM
I allways used to buy SRM knives in lots, so Exduct was allways cheaper than focalprice, in the good old days.

Everytime I visit BLF I end up following a link to one of these sites and getting at least something.

toys, Bike accessories, torches, tools, batteries, razors (Gilette)......

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:16:12 PM
UPDATE:

Manafont does not exist anymore. Their name/site/link just redirects to DX.

I have no idea if DX bought the site or just the empty link.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:07:39 PM
Update: I have been buying some RC toys lately and SPAMCORP has a solid reputation for cheap prices and good selection.

They also price match....  so,

I also checked SPAMCORP on two occasions and it was, slightly cheaper (we are talking 1-2$ here on items costing 70-100$)

The first time I notified SPAMCORP they sent me a 5% discount coupon, to lower the product's price. The coupon did not work and despite me telling them that, I have had no reply.... so I bought it from SPAMCORP. (Use coupon A6 to get 5% off at SPAMCORP)

The 2nd time I again told bangood that a different RC product was cheaper at SPAMCORP.... so they lowered its price to match them BUT added shipping (it was free), so now it is more expensive than before... so I got it from SPAMCORP and bought some spare parts from SPAMCORP.

I have no idea how their customer service thinks or operates,   ??? but it is worrying when they sent you a coupon that does not work and then they increase the total price of an item, to pricematch.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:10:33 PM by dks »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:07:05 PM
I used Fasttech twice. Good prices, fast shipping, great support. They focus on e-cigarettes but I got some nice Tekut and Ganzo products from them.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 03:31:31 PM
I used Fasttech twice. Good prices, fast shipping, great support. They focus on e-cigarettes but I got some nice Tekut and Ganzo products from them.

Only bought from them once, a SRM 605. But it arrived pretty fast and for a good price, they also have a decent selection of flashlights.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:32 PM
Got some stuff from DX. Mostly keychain related. Reasonably fast, no problems on delivery.

Looking at Exduct for SRM and Enlan. Might get a couple soon.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:32:03 PM
Got some stuff from DX. Mostly keychain related. Reasonably fast, no problems on delivery.

Looking at Exduct for SRM and Enlan. Might get a couple soon.

:facepalm:

Great! You started talking about this and I just ordered more stuff from DX. Lucky for me Exduct doesn't accept Visa, only Paypal, so I couldn't finish my order.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:15:13 PM
SPAMCORP

SPAMCORP is a new, for me at least, site.

I have known about it for a few months but had no experience with them.

I placed two orders and one arrived in 1 month and the other in 20 days.

They seem to have slowish shipping and had some teething problems, with regards to what price they will declare on packages, which seem to be sorted now.

Good prices and they seem to be working with many makers/dealers so as to sell their products on their site first.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 08:20:32 PM
Tinydeals : I have only bought one thing from them, with no problems. They have a good reputation but as my experience with them is limited I do not really know how good/bad they are.

SPAMCORP: I have placed 6 orders with them, for over 10 items, in the past month. 3 have arrived in good packaging and in under 20 days.
3 are still travelling, even though 2 of the orders were placed before the ones that arrived. They seem to have good/quick customer service and I am happy with them so far, based on the items that arrived.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:57:17 PM
I have buy in DX and well you know it, it's a good website.

Also bought in aliexpress many times with good results, obviously you should see the seller reputation, but all good till now.

:waving:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:28:29 AM
I read something crazy on SPAMCORP's shipping page: http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/Shipping_hl13[/url]

Can You Ship To My Country?
We can send to almost every country on earth and have free shipping to our main destinations
We Don't Ship To: China, South Sudan and Syria.

So they split my measly 40 $ order in 6 parts, all with free shipping to the corner of the world called Romanistan, but they won't ship to their own China?  ???

Any idea what is that? Maybe they want to unload their junk only to us foreigners and the Chinese only use brand-name Swiss, German and US products  :D

PS: These guys are awesome. 3 hours after ordering and it's shipped, tracking code and all... at FastTech it was stuck for a week and a half in Processing - if the quality is fine, they'll have a new loyal customer...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:37:22 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:14 AM
I think it has to do with where they are based (e.g. a special export only zone), agreements they have with the Chinese government regarding where they can ship (they get a cheap postage cost, provided they do not post to China, so as not to affect the other Chinese retailers..) etc. Some are also based in Hongkong etc.

I am sure there is a lot more detail than that.. someone will explain shortly.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 09:53:01 AM
I will make the effort of updating this, as I buy new things and my experience changes.

SPAMCORP seems to be either really fast or really slow, depending on where they post their items from.
The problem is that you do not know which service speed you will get.
I have had orders arrive from them really fast, but two have been very slow. One took a few months and arrived as I was about to get? a refund and one has been posted in September and it is still not here.
Their customer service keeps asking me to check with my post office, in case the parcel is there. 

SPAMCORP has resend two of my orders, when I complained about one item being damaged and one being late, quickly and with no drama. Definitely good customer service.

SPAMCORP and SPAMCORP seem to have the best offers on torches and electronics currently and consistently, though SPAMCORP has been a bit naughty  :twak: towards this forum…

Dinodirect is trying to regain its former glory, with regard to decent prices on good quality torches, and they come with some nice offers, on occasion.

Off-topic, but I have been buying a lot of, expensive/branded, electronic/kitchen items from Amazon.de lately, rather than my previous favourite Amazon.uk.
It appears that many times they have the same price, numerically, but as the Pound is stronger than the Euro, the German site wins. If you are registered with one you are automatically registered with the other too.

Lesson: Compare and use Google to translate.

Both have increased their shipping cost a lot in that past couple of years.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 10:34:44 AM
I have now 10 incoming orders from SPAMCORP.

So far I received 3 packages and quality was flawless for everything. Prices are good too. I also like the fact they ship very fast (at fasttech an order used to be stuck in processing for 1-2 weeks).

However, actual shipping is hell. They sent two flashlights in 19th of September. One of them has just got yesterday to Romanian customs, the other is still MIA.

Do note, they refunded me for both flashlights and they promised they will ship from now on using Sweden Post instead of China Post (my flashlight was stuck in China customs for almost a month...).

Also do note that they split packages, which can be annoying. I put in and order for 12 items worth 30 Euros and they split it in 12 packages of a few Euros each, but I had to run to the customs office to get each one...

Will get back to you after my flashlight(s) get here.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 10:53:19 AM
SPAMCORP was getting a lot of complaints, from what I remember, regarding customer service when they first started but they seemed to have sorted themselves out, and replace/refund quickly.
They have warehouses in Europe too, so that avoids some of the customs issues. I think it is still cheaper for them to post from China, so they still do it.

With Chinese websites, anything under 2 months is considered normal really..

Splitting may make it easier to pass through customs and you get a parcel every day  :D

Customs, here, do not really bother with anything with a marked value of $15 or less, unless it looks susspicious/much more expensive.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:07 AM
Yap, you're right. Problem is the customs office closes at 14:00 and the post office closes at 17:00 while I finish work at 17:30 so I must either get a day off for each package or make my elderly aunt stand in line and beg them to give her the package.

Than again, this is dumb Romanian postal service and bureaucracy and not the sender's fault...

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 12:02:28 PM

Aliexpress? Sister sire to Alibaba.com, the largest online wholesale shop in China.

Bought many things from them, to me they appear like 'DX on steroids'.

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 12:53:39 PM
I do not remember buying anything from alibaba or aliexpress, at least in recent years, so I can not comment on them.

As far as I understand they are more like  a shopping centre, with many individual sellers, rather than a single site.

So, the experience with one seller may be different than with another, making it hard to give an opinion on the site as a whole.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 06:17:08 PM

As far as I understand they are more like  a shopping centre, with many individual sellers, rather than a single site.

They're Chinese "eBay".  8)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 04:56:12 PM

They're Chinese "eBay".  8)

Yes kind of, I have bought there with no problems

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 10:34:42 PM
I made 14 orders with SPAMCORP recently. 3 made it ok, 1 took 78 days and the first one I made is still MIA (which sucks because it was a gift for my girlfriend and she keeps pestering me).

Now I put in 2 orders to SPAMCORP.com]www.SPAMCORP.com[/url] they seem to have interesting stuff, as well some genuine stuff at nice prices. Customer support seems good too, but we'll see when the goods get here....

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:52 PM
I have SPAMCORP order arrive in 2 weeks and one still missing from  september.

Their customer service just keeps telling me to check my post office and contact hem if the parcel is not still there.

I do and they ask me to check the post office again.... and again...
You feel like they are either stupid or just trying to tell you to leave them alone.

The only way to get their attention, last time they were doing the same stupid replying, was to block their payment on Paypal.

Their customer service is really bad/non-existent when you have  a problem with an order.

They have had the same attitude towards customers for a few months now, so I avoid buying anything from them unless it is really a lot cheaper than the other shops. SPAMCORP sells many of the same things and appears to be a much more serious organisation (possibly because of the alleged DX affiliation). They do something wrong, they just pay/replace the item with no complaints.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 03:01:01 PM
I finally got my replacement order from the above mentioned site, so it all went OK in the end.

In general I just seem to order most non branded items from SPAMCORP and SPAMCORP lately (LED lights, some solar chargers-30000mAh for $14 seemed too good)

gb Offline kungaryfu

Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 12:11:20 PM
great thread and thanks for the input

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 08:08:24 AM
Do you guys have any experience with http://www.lightinthebox.com/ ?

A friend of mine wants to buy some stuff from there and opinions online seem to be split on them... Some say it's got flawless service, others say it ships slowly, products are not what is shown and you get high import taxes...

UH! 1000th POST!!!  :drink:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 08:20:38 AM
I seem to recall that they were, at least at some point, associated with http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/ which does have a good reputation, but I may be wrong....

I have not bought anything from lightinthebox.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%