Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maine Meetup 2014

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Maine Meetup 2014
on: January 13, 2014, 04:37:53 PM
Towards the end of this thread we started discussing the possibility of another Maine Meetup.  It's been a while since we had one (September 2008 I think) so we figure it's about time to do it again.

Last time we stayed at a campground just outside of Portland, Maine, and barring any other thoughts I would suggest doing it again.  They rent park model RV's there, which are basically large camping trailers with full shower, toilet, electricity and wifi.  You can also bring your own trailer, or rough it in a tent.  The prices were reasonable at the time, although I'd have to look into it again to see what the costs would be this time around.

As for things to do, there are the usual fun things to do while camping- there are fireplaces at each campsite plus a big communal bonfire, and we would be about 20 minutes away from the home of LL Bean, and there is a whole city block dedicated to LL Bean stores.  Seriously- there's a big boating store, a big hunting store, a big camping store, a big fishing store and a park dedicated to LL Bean in the middle.  Just up the road is Cabelas and just beyond that is Freeport Knife Shop, which is a name that any member of the VSAKCS should be familiar with.

Also, Freeport has a number of little boutique shops, so wives are not only welcome, but could be suitably distracted in Yankee Candle Co while the rest of us look at pointy things and sticks that go BOOM.

Here's the thread from the last time we went:

http://forum.multitool.org/events-forum/sebago-meet-2008/

Initially I was thinking June, but I have recently been instructed to start thinking about August.  Does anyone want to go and have any input on timing?  Nothing is written in stone yet, it's all just in the planning stages now, so if you have any ideas, spit them out now!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Maine Meetup 2014
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:48:33 PM
Yeah, sorry for derailing the other thread ;)  I would love to go, but as I had said in the other thread, I'm not sure this summer will work for me :(  However, August could be a better possibility as long as we've gotten moved into our house by then.  We hope to move in July at the latest, but that depends on everything being completed, and we have no idea on that yet.  I like the sounds of that camping site :tu:  That would be about 4 hours from where I live.  I've actually never really been in Portland much, or at least not to really thoroughly check out.  My wife actually loves LL Bean and Freeport in general I believe, so she could be reasonably distracted ;)  A baby (or toddler at that point) may be another story though...

Anyway, I hope to be able to go, and time/circumstances will tell.  As I also said, if I can't make it, try not to wait 6 years for the next Maine meet up ;)  I'm sure there are many other locations meetups for all the various members though.
K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:50:58 PM
If you think any other time might be more suitable, say the word.

That goes for anyone else too... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 05:01:36 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure what would work for me at this point.  September might be better, but I'm not even 100% sure I could manage to make it this time anyway.  There are other circumstances that would determine whether or not we could go, so I wouldn't want the planning revolving around me...and I don't mean that to sound like it does or would revolve around me...I'm not that special ;)  I just don't want my input given much weight in the planning process as there may be others who are more likely to be able to make the trip that could have more say on what works best.  I will be sad if I end up missing it though, as I would love to meet you and whoever else would come. 
K-Tibbs

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:15 PM
Let's see who else shows any interest and go from there.  :D

Trust me though, meeting me isn't going to be the high point of any trip!  :P

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:30:42 PM
I'd love to be able to go too, but don't think it would be a possibility though.  :( 

Def
Don't be so hard on yourself, you're not THAT bad!  :pok: :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:08:50 PM
Let's see who else shows any interest and go from there.  :D

Def

Right :tu:  Perhaps not, and meeting me is nothing special either, but just getting together with some of the members would be cool.  I've made several friends here, although I know most, if not all of them wouldn't be able to come my way.  It's understandable though, especially when I'm not sure I can manage to make it when it's only 4 hours away ;) 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:16:34 PM
I'd love to meet y'all but Maine is a bit far for me, well honestly its WAAAAY over there actually. I'd love to take a road trip but I don't see that happening either  :(.  Skype me in hahaha you too Dmac, wait can't whoey tele conference us all in somehow? Don't we have enough computer genius's around this place? We can have a virtual meet up then no one including myself will miss.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 06:24:25 PM
 :dd: If only...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:33:23 PM
What's the name of the nearest international airport? :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 06:39:16 PM
What's the name of the nearest international airport? :D

Apparently, that's Boston :)
http://www.travelmath.com/nearest-airport/Portland,+ME
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 06:52:59 PM
I'd love to meet y'all but Maine is a bit far for me, well honestly its WAAAAY over there actually. I'd love to take a road trip but I don't see that happening either  :(.  Skype me in hahaha you too Dmac, wait can't whoey tele conference us all in somehow? Don't we have enough computer genius's around this place? We can have a virtual meet up then no one including myself will miss.

No Aloha, you have to come when there is a winter meetup...I want you to experience the fun that we've been discussing in various threads recently ;) 
K-Tibbs

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06:55 PM
Someone in Croatia won 21 million USD in the Euro lottery. Regretfully it wasn't me so I won't be attending. :cry:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11:32 PM

No Aloha, you have to come when there is a winter meetup...I want you to experience the fun that we've been discussing in various threads recently ;)

I'd love to Monrogue however there's lots of work to be done post and pre winter here  :whistle:
001.JPG
* 001.JPG (Filesize: 80.64 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:59 PM
Someone in Croatia won 21 million USD in the Euro lottery. Regretfully it wasn't me so I won't be attending. :cry:

Aw man, that's too bad.  If I won the lottery, I'd have a meetup somewhere nice, like a resort, and pay to have all the members come.  Wait...how many members are there again :think: 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 07:31:12 PM

I'd love to Monrogue however there's lots of work to be done post and pre winter here  :whistle:

Haha, I love that pic :rofl:  All the more reason you need to come over to my neck of the woods ;)
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 07:32:42 PM

Haha, I love that pic :rofl:  All the more reason you need to come over to my neck of the woods ;)
Hmmm, maybe you can host the meetup, then you won't miss it! It could be one giant house warming party!!   :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 07:33:31 PM

Aw man, that's too bad.  If I won the lottery, I'd have a meetup somewhere nice, like a resort, and pay to have all the members come.  Wait...how many members are there again :think: 

5,497 in total. >:D

149 No lifers and higher though. ;) + 86 Hero members

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 07:36:20 PM

Hmmm, maybe you can host the meetup, then you won't miss it! It could be one giant house warming party!!   :D

That would be cool indeed, but I'd need a bigger house ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 07:38:15 PM

5,497 in total. >:D

149 No lifers and higher though. ;) + 86 Hero members

Hmm...that could be more expensive than I thought :think:  Perhaps the No Lifers and up then...maybe Hero members if they make a good case, or plead should I say :whistle:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD