Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Böker locking mechanism/new German knife law?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
New Böker locking mechanism/new German knife law?
on: January 15, 2014, 10:10:06 PM
I was just watching this video from the SHOT Show and it seems Böker is coming out with a new locking mechanism. A slip joint with optional lock. And there's some sort of compression lock involved too that locks the blade in place if you apply pressure to the handle (which you would do anyways while holding the knife :D )

Regretfully we never get a decent view of the knife itself or look at the lock. ::)

Anyone have more info on this?

Also (German guys) when did the German law change? They say now that you can have optional locks on knives. Anyone have the article number or link on it?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: New Böker locking mechanism/new German knife law?
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:56 PM
 :worthless:

Really we need more pictures! :ahhh
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:28:00 PM
Don't know about German law, but I will say that there is no way that would be 'reason free' UK EDC. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:41 AM
  I have a E.T, knockoff, I always thought the mechanism was brilliant!!

I just hope Böker makes it with something like 14C27 or even 440C.

And just in case you're not familiar with the External Toggle:
download.jpg
* download.jpg (Filesize: 9.69 KB)

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:53:46 AM
  I have a E.T, knockoff, I always thought the mechanism was brilliant!!

I just hope Böker makes it with something like 14C27 or even 440C.

And just in case you're not familiar with the External Toggle:

Also had the minor issue of slicing up your hands pretty badly if you weren't careful closing the knife.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:19:38 AM

Also had the minor issue of slicing up your hands pretty badly if you weren't careful closing the knife.

That was the thrill of the knife, to get or not to get cut!! :D Must say I never had such a problem. Do you own a chinese knockoff or the real deal?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:33:20 AM
I had the real deal for a while.  Cut myself 2 or 3 times and figured the funky closing mechanism and my arthritic fingers was probably a bad combination.

Did make a pretty good profit when I sold it, though.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:17:00 PM
Nikola,

I just travelled to Germany recently, and if I remember correctly, it is either:

If the blade can be opened by one-hand, it cannot lock; or
If the blade cannot be opened by one-hand, it can be locked.

If someone knows better, do hop in.  ;)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:26:08 PM
Yes, that's the old law I know too. Waffengesetz Article 42a.

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/waffg_2002/__42a.html

They said that changed or will change in the video though. I'll search a bit for more info.

de Offline chris.customworks

• SAK Modder
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 01:02:47 PM
Also (German guys) when did the German law change? They say now that you can have optional locks on knives. Anyone have the article number or link on it?

No, we still have the "old" law (from 1st april 2008), especially the (poxy, illogical, hypocritical) § 42a WaffG, which criminalizes carrying most one-hand-opening-knives  :rant:

So, the video is quite interesting and I am very eager to see the knife, these guys are talking about  ;)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:03 PM
Do you guys think that it is a grey area attempt?  Something similar to 'assisted knife' vs 'auto knife'?  "Technically" the one hand open knife do not lock upon opening, and it locks after you 'grip' onto the knife.  :pok: :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 06:29:09 PM
Do you guys think that it is a grey area attempt?  Something similar to 'assisted knife' vs 'auto knife'?  "Technically" the one hand open knife do not lock upon opening, and it locks after you 'grip' onto the knife.  :pok: :think:

Somewhat, yes.

But as Chris said the German law on knives is a head scratcher / illogical already as is. For instance you can carry a fixed blade knives with a blade length up to 12cm but not a OHO locking folder. :shrug:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 04:21:49 AM

Some better view, first kife in the video

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:27:24 PM
So it's a lock knife, if you want it to be. I don't get the design idea.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:43:51 PM
In legal terms I don't think anyone could claim it's anything other than a lock knife (IMO), but I can see the attraction of a locking knife that doesn't require any action to disengage a lock.  So in use the blade is locked, but to put the blade away there is nothing to do other than fold the knife away.

Unless you've engaged the additional 'safety lock' of course. :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 08:54:07 PM
It's a dodge to get around laws that don't permit locking blades. Person with the knife gets stopped by the police, holding the knife gently closes the knife whilst holding it with their finger tips only. Police say "Ok sir, move along".

Want to use it in anger? Grip it hard and get stabby.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:49 AM
It's a dodge to get around laws that don't permit locking blades. Person with the knife gets stopped by the police, holding the knife gently closes the knife whilst holding it with their finger tips only. Police say "Ok sir, move along".

That might well be the idea, but I don't believe for a second it would work. :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 01:05:19 AM

That might well be the idea, but I don't believe for a second it would work. :D

As I said, these were ordered for the German market who have a slightly different laws on the subject. They can even carry fixed blades.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 06:29:24 AM
Its no different than a butterfly knife then. Locked when you hold it but can be folded easily when you are not.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline chris.customworks

• SAK Modder
Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:23 PM
While the German Böker website keeps calm & quiet the knife is already online on Böker USA => http://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/01BO042.html

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 12:28:41 PM
While the German Böker website keeps calm & quiet the knife is already online on Böker USA => http://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/01BO042.html
Pretty :gimme:
and fairly light :tu:

even prettier in reversed colors

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 02:50:59 PM

As I said, these were ordered for the German market who have a slightly different laws on the subject. They can even carry fixed blades.

While we may carry fixed blades up to 12 cm, we are not allowed to carry a OHO locking knife, no matter how long or short the blade. A knife may be locking or one hand opening, but not both. Assisted (be it gravity or spring) opening knives are banned with few exceptions.
And I doubt this would be seen as a non-locking knife.
And no, I don´t understand teh rules either.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:10 PM

While we may carry fixed blades up to 12 cm, we are not allowed to carry a OHO locking knife, no matter how long or short the blade. A knife may be locking or one hand opening, but not both. Assisted (be it gravity or spring) opening knives are banned with few exceptions.
And I doubt this would be seen as a non-locking knife.
And no, I don´t understand teh rules either.

In the first video they say Böker contracted them to make them such a knife that would fit the new DE knife regulations that are coming. :think:

I tried searching for any reference to a new upcoming Waffengesetz in German but can't find any.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:33 PM
Maybe the locking mechanism is obeying the law by the letter, but I would doubt any LE would let you win that discussion...

I´ll look around if I can find anything about a change in the law, but AFAIK it´s still the old "new" law.

de Offline matzesu

Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:15 PM
Sorry for gravedigging this threadt
99 € on the Boker Internetside is a lot for a Folder, but its a interesting conzept whit this 2 Hand Lock one hand open..
I think most task you need just too fast open your knife whit one hand (cut something whyle you standing on a ladder) wouldnt need the locking whit the second hand, and if there are proper Task, there should be time to lock the blade..
So its great for workers who need a Onehand Folder in Germany..
If i ditnt had a Swisschamp XLT, and would need a Locking Blade more often, i think i would get me this Knife, but for a second knife its just too expensive..
Mybe for Birstday or Chrissmass..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 03:12:20 PM
It seems too much a gimmick. Why not just carry a knife that either has a good lock, or carry a slip joint to comply with the law? As a rule, I've found gimmicks to have fatal flows that reveal themselves at a bad time. But then, I admit I am a sceptic of new things.

The other flaw I see with this knifes, the cops and DA's are not stupid. If something is marketed as a 'get around the law' deal, it's usually a short time until they catch on, and then catch up with it. Just like all those jaw jackers, plastic knives that are supposed to sneak through TSA security, and stuff like that. My son is a police officer, and they do get all the bulletins on this stuff and know what they look like.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

de Offline matzesu

Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 04:37:24 PM
Its not because the law, the law is also a reason, but also because the open mechanism, and i ditnt have a dedicatet onehandfolder..

If i only would need a knife, i would use my SAK, but somethimes i need something which opens one handet..

At least i can say everytime, that im a beeceeper and i need it to cut some wood, whyle i stand on a ladder whyle i hunt a swarm
And this is just the truth..

Know german polizeman, they also like these knifes . :)
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:15 AM
It seems too much a gimmick. Why not just carry a knife that either has a good lock, or carry a slip joint to comply with the law? As a rule, I've found gimmicks to have fatal flows that reveal themselves at a bad time. But then, I admit I am a sceptic of new things.
Like all MT's this is about utility and its always a compromise. You get both OHO and locking but because this combination is illegal you need to separate the two, in the hope to have a legal product. Personally, I doubt, especially with the Grip-Lock, I could see having OHO + Two-handed-lock as passing the question for legality but I'm not a lawyer.

Also laws are too trivial (and sometimes too complicated) to cover everything. This is why judges decisions become laws. I mean how strong can the backspring on a slipjoint be until it should be considered a lock?

de Offline matzesu

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 11:13:48 AM
Just got the Knife yesterday, and it a nice thing, the flipper works great, its feals great in hand, and its fun..
Its meant to be my second EDC Knife for task i dotnt want my XLT to be dirty, .. or i need a one hand open blade..
the only thing i dotnt like is, that the second log mechanism (the wheel on the back) somethimes get stuck whyle you try to dislog the blade, so you have to push the griplog a bit, and then in works..

Somethimes its a bit divicult to close the blade whit one finger, but this is just a case of training..

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 11:41:18 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like more pics. ;) Of the locking mechanism too.

Congrats on the new blade. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD