Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My thoughts on the Pocket Powerplier

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
My thoughts on the Pocket Powerplier
on: January 16, 2014, 09:10:48 PM
This isn't exactly a full-on review, just some thoughts on it, in particular compared to the Leatherman PST and my previous SOG Powerlock.

First, I like the sheath. A LOT. The belt attachment with hook at the bottom of the plastic latch catches and holds well on a belt, and allows it to be put on and removed without unthreading the belt. It seems plenty strong for the weight of the tool, and decent size velcro patch.

I am SO much happier with the stainless finish compared to the BO coating on the powerlock I had. The size and weight of the tool is great. Very small and very compact. Very close to par with the excellently compact Leatherman PSTs. The gear teeth would make it less fun for for pocket carry, but I don't pocket carry something this size. While it loses a few tool slots over the Powerlock, it also uses inside tool space better. And am I missing something, or are there two short tool slots open, filled with plastic washers?

Opening the pliers, I remembered what I DID like about the Powerlock. That plier action is nice. The needlenose on the PPP plier head is also very small and very precise. I tested the wire cutters on 12-gauge solid copper and coathanger. They work awesome. The decreased force required somewhat mitigates the rather stabby edges of the tool in plier configuration.

Inside tools:
File: Not as good as on the PST and PST II, particularly the PST II with the diamond side.
Philips: Pretty much on par with the PST line.
Awl: Sharp and functional, but I vastly prefer the 'spoon drill' edge on the Victorinox Awl.
Flathead/caplifter: I haven't tested the caplifter, but it looks fine. As a flathead, the cross section looks a little thin, what with the nail nick cutout, so it doesn't seem as robust for prying tasks as I'd like. This becomes a problem when there's no dedicated flathead like with the PST.
Blade: Combo edge, chisel ground. Ugh. NOT a fan. At least it comes paper-cutting sharp.
Can opener: I tested the can opener on the powerlock and it was a TOTAL fail. On this one, it's only the worst can opener I've ever succeeded with, so... partial vindication? What a POS.

I'm giving strong consideration to gutting a PST and replacing all the PPP components with those from the PST. Best of both worlds.

Overall, without modification, I still think it's a pretty nice tool. Light duty, sure, but a nice compact package with decent tool options.

pl Offline Gilliand

Re: My thoughts on the Pocket Powerplier
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:56:40 PM
(...)
I'm giving strong consideration to gutting a PST and replacing all the PPP components with those from the PST. Best of both worlds.
(...)

If you manage that, please let me know how you did it. I've tried it and, while most accessories fit quite easily, I couldn't figure out how to make them to lock in place - even with handles closed they're completely loose, which makes them next to useless :(

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:08 PM
If you want to change the tool load then the SOG components are available from eBay sellers and SOG direct, but Smoky Mt Knife Works have some Harley-Davidson branded ones much cheaper.  If you get the 1/4" square driver look at some way of retaining the spring (they can fall off).

I prefer the Paladin Powerplay version of the PPP because it has covers on the gears.  That would be a better basis for mods.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:01:21 AM
Ah... man...

I thought the PST tools would port directly over. Now I'm bummed.

As for getting the other SOG tools, I had a number of other options on the Powerlock, and wasn't impressed. In all truth, for a basic MT, I think the SOG parts are fine. I just think they could be a bit better.

I might try it out for a while. There's something about the PPP that I really rather dig.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51:41 AM
Lynn? what do you mean by wasted space on the Powerlock? It is loaded with tools to the max and when closed the plierhead takes up rest of the space? Or are you talking about something else?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:01:17 AM
If you look in the PPP, the long tools extend the length of the internal handle space. The Powerlock is more than half an inch longer than the PPP, but has the same tools. Those tools could be half an inch (more or less) longer. In the case of the blade, in particular, I find that super-annoying.

As I recall, it's the same with the shorter tools.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:27:31 AM
ahhh, gotcha. The blade could be a tad longer.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:01:59 AM
It's an unfortunate side effect of the otherwise fairly useful modular tools system, I guess.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%