Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which knife do you use for Peeling, Dicing, Cutting Kiwi Fruit?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
  I enjoy eating kiwi fruit a lot. Have been cutting them in fourths, then using a Snow Peak titanium spork to eat each slice; scoop one side, then the other.
  When eating out I cut the slippery fruit into fourths, cut along the sides, then scoop out the diced pieces into a desert dish.

Have seen videos where one would score the skin and use a spoon to remove the entire skin, but those fruit are slippery and sticky! So that's not a practical method outside the kitchen.

The problem about the juice is it gets into places where even oil doesn't get into easily. Even though I wipe the blade between each cut and try to keep the pivot end up, juice still manages to sneak inside - then it gums up the pivot. Reoiling does not always work well.

So what sort of knife would you suggest for cutting, and dicing up kiwi fruit, more so when out at a restaurant or social engagement?
0311131942a.jpg
* 0311131942a.jpg (Filesize: 51.11 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Which knife do you use for Peeling, Dicing, Cutting Kiwi Fruit?
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:49:51 PM
a fixed blade   :D

I just use whatever is available. The soft Kiwis (fruit not people) are quite forgiving regarding the thickness of the blade.

Wash it afterwards  :ahhh
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:56:26 PM
A while back I was really into H-1 steel Spydercos. Still love the steel by the way. Anyways, I used to use my Dragonfly to cut all sorts of acidic fruits along with meat and whatever other food I wanted. I would just give it a rinse or wipe it down afterwards. Then once a week or if it got real dirty I would rinse it in warm soapy water and hit it with my air compressor and its perfectly clean. The Dragonfly is a small knife but still has that "pocket folder" look so it doesn't really look like dinnerware but its a viable option. The idea of never having to worry about rust is a huge plus in my opinion. Hope this could help.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:27:32 PM
a fixed blade   :D

I just use whatever is available. The soft Kiwis (fruit not people) are quite forgiving regarding the thickness of the blade.

Wash it afterwards  :ahhh
Maybe a small fixed blade, like a neck knife would work.  Something alone the lines of this:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:32:57 PM
I slice them in half and scoop the fruit out with a spoon. You could actually get a little plastic knife spoon thing which has has the handle of the spoon as a knife.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:48:18 AM
I use a Rada paring knife.  These inexpensive knives are great performers.

Tick Magnet

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 04:19:49 AM
I just cut them in half and suck and chew the flesh out of their hairy little heads. :)

Derekmac, who made your cute little friend there? And does she have available sisters?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 12:29:19 PM
Derekmac, who made your cute little friend there? And does she have available sisters?
It's not actually mine, I just pulled it from Google.  :facepalm:  I wish I had it though, it's a sweet looking little knife!  :tu:

Here's where I found the pic:
http://custombladeworks.com/2009/11/03/orange-neck-knife/

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:07:39 PM
I'd been using 85/91mm SAKs at work :D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:25:28 PM
Same as Cupboard for me. Any knife to cut it in half and then scoop out the goodness with a tea spoon using the two halves as dishes.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:52 PM
sounds like a job for an Opinel...  preferably an Inox one.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 01:03:42 AM
I like to live dangerously:  I eat the skin and just chomp into them.  :whistle:

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 07:45:09 PM
Welcome to the new Forum Software for Multitool.org.  Please bear with us while we set things up here, but in the meantime feel free to post and test out the options that are available to you. At this point, I welcome any comments and suggestions as we build the new forum into what we are hoping will be the best independant multitool reference source in the world!
Def
Was wondering if an Opinel would work, although have no experience with them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 07:49:18 PM

Umm ... that was odd ... TapATalk quoted an erroneous post?

Will have to check out Opinel as have no experience with them. Any exotic wood handles perchance?

¬ Outback in Idaho

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 08:19:31 PM

Umm ... that was odd ... TapATalk quoted an erroneous post?

Was it a post from 2006/2007 by any chance? It's a Tapatalk glitch I experiance ocasionally. It always goes to a random post from early forum days.

Will have to check out Opinel as have no experience with them. Any exotic wood handles perchance?

Quite a few of them. But the non standard wood ones are also more pricy.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:32:55 PM
There is an Opinel thread too ;D

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 04:49:55 PM
  Wrote Opinel about a Kiwi fruit knife, and they picked out the one I was looking at last night.

Quote from: Opinel USA
Any No8 slim will be best to cut fruits. The Bubinga wood handle will best best because it resist moisture quite well.
Opinel Slim knife No8 Bubinga

¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 11:25:10 AM
NIce,  I have a #8 Inox with a figured Olive wood handle and really like it. It gets a bit of fruit use. Good for cutting up apples.

I also have a #8 Carbone that I picked up in Kirky's giveaway. It can take a wicked edge, scary sharp.

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 08:48:30 AM
NIce,  I have a #8 Inox with a figured Olive wood handle and really like it. It gets a bit of fruit use. Good for cutting up apples.

I also have a #8 Carbone that I picked up in Kirky's giveaway. It can take a wicked edge, scary sharp.

The knife looks good. Also looked at the pruning and mushroom knives. $30 for a kiwi fruit knife seems rather silly. Generally use either the Climber or the Charge's S30V blade for vegetables & fruit.

It's just where the kiwi juice goes and doesn't come out is the problem. Even oiling doesn't improve the situation. Am still going to eat the fruit, just have to find something at a good price that works. That way I don't mess up a knife that I count on for other things.   :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 09:07:18 AM

The knife looks good. Also looked at the pruning and mushroom knives. $30 for a kiwi fruit knife seems rather silly. Generally use either the Climber or the Charge's S30V blade for vegetables & fruit.

It's just where the kiwi juice goes and doesn't come out is the problem. Even oiling doesn't improve the situation. Am still going to eat the fruit, just have to find something at a good price that works. That way I don't mess up a knife that I count on for other things.   :D

You need a folding knife that can be easily taken apart and cleaned. A sebenza may be ideal but a bit expensive. A Svord peasant can also be taken apart easily for cleaning and is slighly cheaper, but not SS. Several other makers of modern knives make knives that can be taken apart too.

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09:46 AM

You need a folding knife that can be easily taken apart and cleaned. A sebenza may be ideal but a bit expensive. A Svord peasant can also be taken apart easily for cleaning and is slighly cheaper, but not SS. Several other makers of modern knives make knives that can be taken apart too.

Not sure why, but I like it. Thanks DKS.  :tu:  The tang would get some getting used to.

This fellow made some great points.

How do Opinel knives lock?

Almost ordered the Svord, but it's the blade shape. How good is the steel on them? Seen there is also a mini version.  :think:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:35:34 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 11:43:26 AM
On locking models you turn the collar (virobloc) to lock the blade, open or closed.

The steel on the Svord is good (I think it is  L6 Swedish high carbon tool steel with a good heat treatment) but it is not SS.  Several people modify the blade to suit them. They are known for having strange grinds, by the way.

There was a Svord thread somewhere...  ???
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:46:28 AM by dks »

Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 01:44:22 AM
  So now it's a tie between Svord & Opinel. Poll time?  :o
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 10:44:26 PM
  On the 9th of October my mother passed away to Heaven. Was/is rough on me as I was taking care of her for 4 years.
  Anyhow, have been cleaning up the trailer and keep running across her stashes of oddities. Which is where I came across a brown box from the Cooking Club, and inside was this plastic handled/sheathed ceramic blade. It looked cheap, and I guess these are not overly expensive.

So I adopted it as the Kiwi fruit knife.

It's got me a few times (on the thumb) trying to get used to it, yet seems resilient against kiwi juices and wipes off easily for the next time. And I still use the Snow Peak Titanium Spork to scoop out the delicious kiwi meat from the peel.
  Still think my first short Snow Peak Titanium spork did a better job at it, as this one sometimes breaks through the kiwi skin.

Not sure how often these need sharpened, or if they do. Do wished it was a folder instead of a straight knife type.

Never did get an Opinel. May get one some day.
¬ Outback in Idaho

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 11:36:38 PM
That looks a perfect knife for the job  :tu: Personally I don't like using any type of folder for food work, particularly something like kiwi fruit where all those sticky juices would be running into the hinge and spring or lock mechanisms.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 11:44:18 PM
From my experience with ceramic is that it will pretty much always cut. It doesn't roll the edge as steel does which is the most common cause of a "dull" edge. Instead the ceramic will chip usually on a microscopic level. It will still cut but more like a micro tooth saw. So it depends on the edge you want. I've had good experience with high grit diamond files to sharpen them. To tell if it's chipping use your nail down the edge and you will feel the nicks if there are any.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%