Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Dime retirement

Jors · 38 · 9480

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Gerber Dime retirement
on: January 19, 2014, 05:28:36 PM
I bought a Gerber dime for a keychain pocket tool.
I bought the black one and I was really inpressed with this little gadget.
The box opener and the knife blade really impressed me.

Only until here.

The pliers folded when attempting to cut a paper fastener (the Leatherman Squirt P4 Can!).
Today I tried to cut a simple cable tie without success. even after 5 attempts. The blades folded next to each other with the cable tie in between.

What a disappointment.

Needless to say I am retiring this..............

This was my first experience with Gerber and my last.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Re: Gerber Dime retirement
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:51:23 PM
None of my buissness, but you could give maybe a second chance, if it happens!   :think:
Antonio

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:01:43 PM
You should try an MP600 from Gerber before you give them the boot.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 06:06:59 PM
+1!  :tu: or maybe even a Freehand, for if i remember well Jors likes the beefy sized tools, i remember his reviews of the larger LMs!  :multi:
Antonio

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:12:03 PM
I haven't had any failures as bad as Jors, but it does feel like the steel used in the Dime (and the Splice, and the Vise, and the Octane, and the Crucial) is thinner and flimsier than it ought to be. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:17:34 PM
I agree Bob. They definitely don't stand up like other such tools from other manufacturers.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 06:27:47 PM
They are also half the price of the Squirt line as well.;)  Keep in mind that, while I am a Gerber fan, I do prefer the Squirts myself, I just want to acknowledge that they've likely had to make some compromises to keep that price point down.

I still think the Dime is a decent tool for what you pay for it, but I also think there are better offerings from Gerber as well, the MP600 and MP400 being my top choices.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:19 PM
I wish the Dime would stop being produced. :whistle:
Leatherman

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 07:18:35 PM
Go with a squirt! LM P4 has been on my keychain for years now and still going strong. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 07:27:09 PM

+1  I was ready to completely ignore Gerber after I broke a Suspension while playing with it in a store.  But I got an MP450 in a trade here, then a 600, then another 600, and a 400, and a Strata, and an Octane, and a.....  ;)  Give an MP a shot before disregarding Gerber completely.  They are excellent tools that have quite a following for a reason.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:33:24 PM
I had the same problem. Here's a link to my thread on 'Bad wire cutters on Dime?'
http://forum.multitool.org/gerber-tools/bad-wire-cutters-on-dime/

There's also a partial solution in that thread. Maybe give it a read and see if the fix helps.

Otherwise, I completely agree with you. The wire cutters, as they come out of the box, are pretty terrible.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:27:10 PM
  I was starting to think that the Dime was good competitor to LM's Squirts but after I watched a video of the pliers, more specifically the cutters, failing so bad I changed my mind very quickly.

I really wish, from the deepest corners of my ribosomes, that Gerber could address this issues. There is something about it that really makes me want one, but a better and improved one.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 08:35:39 PM
I wanted to consider the Dime a failure after the cutter issue, but honestly, fixing it is only an annoyance. Once fixed, they're still not as good as a Squirt, but are miles better than the dinky cutter on the pliers of a 91mm Victorinox, and I don't hear people screaming over how pathetic those cutters are. The Vic's will never cut 12-gauge wire. The Dime's will, if maybe not able to handle it long-term. For all I know, maybe even the Squirt would fail long-term from the strain of cutting 12-gauge wire, although it feels a lot more solid than the Dime doing it.

And I wouldn't trust ANY of them to cut coathanger, or a nail, so you just have to draw the line somewhere for any tool, and know it's limitations.

The weak wire cutters are nowhere near a deal-breaker for me with the Dime, but do drop it below the Squirt in one area of functionality.

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 08:50:59 PM
SolomonKane79

[/quote]
+1!  :tu: or maybe even a Freehand, for if i remember well Jors likes the beefy sized tools, i remember his reviews of the larger LMs!  :multi:
[/quote]

You remember right. I like the great ones. Currently I am liking the Recharge. I purchased the Charge TTi and added the rebar pliers head to it. Awesome tool. I aqm not carrying it 24/7 currently, but in my backpack. I am currently handicapped after a series of surgery operations on my legs. Another reason is that I first check out regarding our new dangerous weapons act. As a Police officer that will probably never a problem as our new act even make provision for carrying a knife.item to protect yourself, which is a legal act.

I am very disappointed and will see if maybe I can mod the pliers to have no side play on my mini milling machine. There is a big play in the pliers and as the problem link showed, mine is also completely blunt. Maybe if I can flare the axle a bit to tighten it up I will give it a second chance. Or maybe I will consider another small size tool. However the squirt did not disappoint me.

The scissors also disappointed me as it is cutting the wrong way around. It is a left handed scissors.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 08:32:38 PM
SolomonKane79, I have given it some thought. I am working on some cure in my head. I have an idea on how to rectify the Pliers.

I just need a proper pliers or I have to add an awl in it's place.

I will take photographs and post if successful.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

ca Offline Dem

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 08:59:57 PM
The Dime is a MT I really wanted to like, but part of the backspring broke (the one on the package opener, though it still worked... just opened way too far) almost immediately after I got the thing, and it didn't take long for the spring on the scissors to break off too. I never had much issue with the pliers but I also didn't use them for much other than some adjustments on health care equipment.

If the Dime were tougher, it'd be the perfect keychain tool for me. As it is, the Gerber I like is the Pro Scout.

Dem

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 11:06:25 PM
The Dime is a MT I really wanted to like, but part of the backspring broke

The scissor spring broke on Mrs. Powernoodle's PS4 after almost no usage, so I don't think that any of these micro MTs are really built to last.  In my view, the PS4 and Dime are both more akin to last ditch, very light use, pocket convenience items - especially the cutters and the pliers. But really the whole tool.  Good for snipping a loose thread, pulling a vehicle circuit breaker or opening a box, but that's about it.  I still carry a PS4 on a daily basis (for the pliers, mainly), but I have pretty low expectations for any MT that weighs 2 ounces.  The Dime's cutters are almost useless (unless you sharpen them up like Lynn did), and the springs on both of these tools almost commit suicide for no reason.  But alas, I can't stop carrying the dang thing.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 11:20:09 PM

The scissor spring broke on Mrs. Powernoodle's PS4 after almost no usage,

I think at least a dozen of us here had the same problem. ::)

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 11:50:09 PM

And this is why I don't use the Dime...
Leatherman

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 11:50:42 PM
I returned the PS4 when I bought it.  It is nowhere as tough as the previous generation. The P4, S4 were much more durable, in my experience anyway.  Still have a P4 on my keys going strong after 3 yrs now.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 11:55:19 PM

You don't use the Gerber Dime cause the scissors spring on the Leatherman Squirt PS4 breaks easily? :think:

Where's the logic in that? :P

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:10:32 AM

You don't use the Gerber Dime cause the scissors spring on the Leatherman Squirt PS4 breaks easily? :think:

Where's the logic in that? :P

Shoot, I read "Mrs. Powernoodle's Dime" instead of "Mrs. Powernoodle's PS4". :facepalm:
Leatherman

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 08:41:24 AM
I'm another one who WANTS to like the Dime, it's a cool looking little piece of kit, BUT it inspires zero confidence in me.

It could have been so good but it feels like a cheap knock-off of something else.  I live in hope of the day I find the "good" tool that the Dime is a Chinese knock-off of. ::)

The pivots on mine a nail breaking tight and the package opener blade sits so low you could miss even seeing the nail nick for it. I actually have to take the tweezers out and use the tab end of them to open it if I want the package opener, which isn't very often because the grind is backwards (or for a leftie)
As far as the flat blade driver and file/2D Philips.  Both so short they are useless, there is room for one or other and making them a usable tool, but not both. And then the file has the keyring in the way so you can't even use it on your nails (or pretty much anything else)

Every time I post in a thread about the Dime, my loathing for it grows another notch.
Okay it was only cheap, but I would have rather put the 20bux toward a slab of beer, something I could enjoy using.
Maybe I could gift it to someone who I know would appreciate the thought, but will throw it in a drawer and never use it. Best use I've thought of for it yet.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 10:10:53 AM
The problems many of us had with the dime were posted in a thread a while back.

Mine is now used only when I travel (good tool selection and I do not care if it is confiscated), after being hit a bit with a hammer to tighten the pivots.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 07:48:59 PM
I just need a proper pliers or I have to add an awl in it's place.

I meant to say:  "I just need a proper scissors or I have to add an awl in it's place". The scissors mon the tool is for left hand use only.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

id Offline titohendrata

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 11:18:13 AM
me too ... :)
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 249.82 KB)
indonesianblades #0084704015 jerzeedevil #20174
Leatherman OHT, FKMD-SOG PPP, Wenger Soldier 95, and ... some Balisongs LOL

ca Offline Werkzeug

• I work my thing
Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 04:50:45 PM
I almost bought a Dime, but having read this and similar posts, I decided not to.

Amazing -- reading something this board actually preventing me from spending money. Then again, I'll probably just use the cash to buy a different MT.
"When you are playing with an MT, you briefly forget about the things that worry you and drag you down. It's like a drug addiction, without the weight loss, loss of family and job, and decaying teeth." — powernoodle

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 12:36:37 PM
I'm actually a fan of the Dime and overall I find it a better tool than the PS4

Knife blade - Dime wins. Nice shape and properly ground. None of that scale snagging chisel grind that kept troubling me on my PS4s
Pliers - PS4 wins (but see note below). Stronger and more refined head, and backsprings are better supported
Bottle opener - Dime wins - No contest!
File - PS4 wins - No contest!
Scissors - no real preference, both a bit limited and prone to premature failure
Drivers - no real preference, both a bit limited but work in a pinch
Package Opener - Dime
Tweezers - Dime
Aesthetics - Dime
Price - Dime

NOTE: Although the PS4 wins on pliers, I do very little in the way of wire cutting, and as such the Dime's pliers have never been a failing for me. They've always done what I've asked of them, and it sounds that a little work will improve the cutters anyway, so I'm more than happy with them. I have also had more quality issues on PS4s than I have on Dimes.

Additional Note:
At the last UK meet, I was moaning about the PS4 and Cupboard was moaning about the Dime. He proposed a straight swap, and I took his slightly gritty Dime in return for my PS4 whose blade got caught up on the scales, and which had bald spots on the file. We BOTH felt that we had got the better part of the deal by far, and that the other guy had gotten the smelly end of the stick. About as perfect as a trade gets really  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Werkzeug

• I work my thing
Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 03:00:20 PM
Stop it, man. You're just trying to make me spend more money...
"When you are playing with an MT, you briefly forget about the things that worry you and drag you down. It's like a drug addiction, without the weight loss, loss of family and job, and decaying teeth." — powernoodle

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 03:33:27 PM
IMO the last good mini keychain pliers made was the P4.  I tried and did not like the PS4 or Dime. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68