Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Dime retirement

Jors · 38 · 9479

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Dime retirement
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 03:12:00 PM
Additional Note:
At the last UK meet, I was moaning about the PS4 and Cupboard was moaning about the Dime. He proposed a straight swap, and I took his slightly gritty Dime in return for my PS4 whose blade got caught up on the scales, and which had bald spots on the file. We BOTH felt that we had got the better part of the deal by far, and that the other guy had gotten the smelly end of the stick. About as perfect as a trade gets really  :D

It was a P4 actually :)

The Dime's blade is a nice shape but I could never get it to hold an edge and you could see the metal coming off it as you sharpened it. The pliers were flimsy and the wire cutter suck.
The bottle opener is good but it's not like I had any particular shortage of them and the Squirt's does the job.
The Phillips driver has the bottle opener in the way which hampers its use, and the file is completely pointless. Sure the file on the Squirt that I traded might not be a good eample of a Squirt file but it's still a million times less terrible than the Dime's.
Package opener: OK so the Squirt doesn't have one, but there's nothing wrong with using the blade. I can at least get the Squirt blade open without breaking a nail.
Tweezers: hmm. IMO the pliers are small enough you don't really need tweezers, the Squirt's are certainly good enough. That said, my favourite Squirts (the older ones) do have tweezers. I didn't have any problem with the Dime tweezers that I remember but then I never really needed them.
Aesthetics: People complain about the Juice's handle being uneven, well the Dime's are in a different league. Just look at it! And the glossy scales look tacky and cheap to me. This is one area I prefer the PS5 to the P4 actually, but they're both smart and symmetrical.
Price: The Dime is quite substantially cheaper. It's also massively worse, so less good value IMO.

So yes, I traded away a tool I couldn't have given as a gift because I wouldn't have been happy to carry it myself, and got in return a Squirt P4 which I think is one of the best of the Squirts. The small Victorinox 58mm scissors are better than the PS4 and Dime scissors, and I think a 58mm SAK with a P4 makes a pretty good combination.

*stir stir stir*

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 03:32:46 PM
P4 is the best of the keychain pliers IMO.  I tried a PS4 and it was a downgrade.  It wasnt for me and it went back to the store.  If I can ever get Vic pliers on a rambler thats the only thing that will bump the P4 off my keychain.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:03 PM
I like the Dime as well and have had no issues with it.  I did find the tools a bit hard to deploy but with use they got easier.  I ended up going with my LM PS4 because it fit in my Skinth better and gifted the Dime to a friend. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 05:57:38 PM
I got a black dime as one of my birthday presents,i like its looks and time will tell otherwise,although the package cutter is very stiff and i broke a nail  :facepalm: hopefully it will loosen with use  :tu: its on my keychain and will replace my old alox classic clone that has worked out well for me for a few years,im not overly rough on my keychain mt's other than they get wet alot,so time will tell  :tu:

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 01:40:27 PM
I've been carrying the dime for about a month now and I honestly really like it for the most part. The blade came dull and the scissors pretty much suck but for a tool of its size I'm pretty happy with it.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 04:09:58 PM
I prefer the PS4 to the Dime (due to fit and finish, size, etc.) but inexplicably have been carrying a Dime instead of the PS4 for several months.  So maybe I actually prefer the Dime and won't admit it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 05:38:15 PM
I prefer the PS4 to the Dime (due to fit and finish, size, etc.) but inexplicably have been carrying a Dime instead of the PS4 for several months.  So maybe I actually prefer the Dime and won't admit it.

Sounds like you are in denial to me mate. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 08:16:55 PM
It's good in a utilitarian sort of way. The quality isn't comparable to any leatherman I've handled, but on the flip side it's a tool you're likely to actually use. I've used the fine pliers tips to hold things I was grinding with a dremel, I certainly wouldn't do that with a Leatherman.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD