Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me out finding a new AAA light

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Help me out finding a new AAA light
on: January 23, 2014, 04:09:00 PM
Ive only had a fenix e01 and thrunite.

My brain is too full of SAK knowledge, no room to learn and obsess about lights now... :D

So... is there a single or double AAA that....

- Has a neutral tint
- Has more than one brightness level
- $50 or less

I did a trade with Eric and scored 3 skinths... so now im after a nice small light to pair with a spirit in one of them.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Help me out finding a new AAA light
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:21:54 PM
Two recommendations for 1XAAA:

1.  Maratac 1XAAA  inexpensive and rock solid.  3 levels.  Mine have very neutral tint

2.  Prometheus Beta QR 1XAAA with detachable keyring.  More expensive (~$55).  2 levels.  Not as bright but beautiful machining.  Also very neutral tint.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:22:35 PM
Also have a look here:

http://forum.multitool.org/flashlight-forum/best-'aaa'-keychain-flashlight/

http://forum.multitool.org/flashlight-forum/looking-for-height-power-in-a-small-package/

http://forum.multitool.org/flashlight-forum/what-should-be-on-my-keychain/

My recommendation is still the Tank007 E09 or E10.

There are also some models from ultrafire but with your budget you should be looking at
Tank007, Fenix, Jetbeam, Maglite LED etc.

Maybe mention how bright you want each level to be.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:36:25 PM
+1 for the Tank007 E10.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:56:39 PM
+1 MagLite LED

Love the way its turned on/off. Mine is now maybe 2 month old, so I cannot say much about long-term durability but so far it did fare well in my pocket on the keychain.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:14:09 PM
How do you intend on carrying it? Keyring or pocket? Do you need a pocket clip?

Do you prefer a clicky switch or a twisty?

And how about the beam profile more narrow beam with more throw to illuminate further or a wide beam that floods the area in front of you? And how about the user interface of the modes?

Most AAA flashlights came with 3 modes but the order of the modes varies. Low-mid-high or mid-low-high. :D

Lots of things to consider. Flashlight are a serious business. >:D And something as simple as a beam pattern being to narrow or the mode sequence being not to your liking can annoy quite a bit.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:16:57 PM
How do you intend on carrying it? Keyring or pocket? Do you need a pocket clip?

Do you prefer a clicky switch or a twisty?

And how about the beam profile more narrow beam with more throw to illuminate further or a wide beam that floods the area in front of you? And how about the user interface of the modes?

Most AAA flashlights came with 3 modes but the order of the modes varies. Low-mid-high or mid-low-high. :D

Lots of things to consider. Flashlight are a serious business. >:D And something as simple as a beam pattern being to narrow or the mode sequence being not to your liking can annoy quite a bit.

Its going in a sheath, so doesn't need a keyring.

Clicky.

Prefer floody type.

Mode order doenst matter to me.  I just want something very low for long life, and something brighter for if you need to actually see better. 

Ive been completely happy with all my zebras but they dont make a small AAA.

That maratac AAA looked nice, but they are sold out.  The tank007 ones seem decent, I'll have a look through those.

Thanks all!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 01:09:29 AM
Sorry for the late reply. I had to do some research. :P

The problem with AAA's is they usually come as twisties. Very few AAA clickies around. LedLenser just announced at shot show they're coming out with a very interesting AAA clicky called LedLenser M3r but who knows when that will be out. ::)

From the currently available lights I like the Lumintop Tool the best. :tu:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L...s&hash=item4ac353fa86 = be careful if you order from a different listing as there is also one model that looks exactly the same but doesn't have clicky switch. I linked this seller as I've had great experience with them. They even fixed one of the lights I bought from them that broke a year and a half later, free of charge.

Here's a review and video on it.    I might actually have to buy that one myself too. :oops:   I wished it was a forward clicky but the reverse clicky is totally understandable for a AAA light.

-------------------
Another option is the Tiablo E3A 1xAAA.

-------------------

And of course the 47s Preon P1 but you'd have to buy a Preon P2 clicky switch for that one too.

--------------------

Last but not least, the Lumapower Avenger GX    A bit higher in price though.

EDIT: Not forgetting the Peak LED Solution lights. Great lights, lots of options for optics and bodies. They don't come with an actual clicky switch though, just a momentary one. :-\  AND ARE PRICEY. :ahhh
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:11:36 AM by enki_ck »

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 02:23:18 AM
I have one of these and I'm very impressed with it.

http://dx.com/p/trustfire-f23-cree-xp-e-q3-160lm-3-mode-white-flashlight-silver-1-x-10400-aaa-180254#.UuMQY7RArb0

It says "cool white" but it is not in the least bit blue.

I run mine on a 3.6v LiON cell but they work fine on alkalines too.

Even 'tho I've had it a couple of years, if I lost it I'd replace it with another, not something else.

And the Stainless looks nice in the side pocket of my Wave's sheath.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 03:42:29 AM
There's the Leatherman Serac S1 and S2, still, too, which are AAA clickies.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:29:23 AM
I'll offer the same suggestion everyone offered me.
The Olight i3s.
Here a video review.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 02:26:04 PM
I'll offer the same suggestion everyone offered me.
The Olight i3s.
Here a video review.

Great light. :tu: But not a clicky. :-\

There is a conversion though where you take the head of the itp a3 / olight i3 and put it on the body of a Stremlight Microstream and get a clicky with three modes. :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 03:47:42 PM
Well I dont know what I want! :D

So I ordered 2.  I decided to try the tank007 e09 and also that lumintop one.   :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 04:27:51 PM
The Bronte RA02 is one I've had my eye on for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger on.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 12:39:24 AM
Well I dont know what I want! :D

So I ordered 2.  I decided to try the tank007 e09 and also that lumintop one.   :tu:

Looking froward to your thoughts on the Lumintop, :tu: I waited too long on ordering it and now New year is here so for the next few weeks no orders from China. I'll probably end up with one of those sooner or later. :P

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 07:53:16 PM
Did you get your lights in yet Syph?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:24 PM
I got one so far, the Lumintop Enki recommened.  Awesome little light.  I like it better than the thrunite 2 mode I had.  Both the thrunite ti I had became impossible to select the low mode.  I never loved the twisty style either for selecting modes.

I'll take some pics an video to show off this little guy later, but its awesome.  Great tint and the clicky is exactly what I wanted.  A full click turns the light on (default to low) and a soft tap on the button toggles hi/low.

BTW I ordered 2 more tank007s to try too.  Its too hard to pick without trying them out.

I ordered a Tank e10 and e11.  The longer e11 taking 2 AAAs just looked .. neat. :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:49:34 PM by Syph007 »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 12:18:36 AM
I got one so far, the Lumintop Enki recommened.  Awesome little light.  I like it better than the thrunite 2 mode I had.  Both the thrunite ti I had became impossible to select the low mode.  I never loved the twisty style either for selecting modes.

I'll take some pics an video to show off this little guy later, but its awesome.  Great tint and the clicky is exactly what I wanted.  A full click turns the light on (default to low) and a soft tap on the button toggles hi/low.

BTW I ordered 2 more tank007s to try too.  Its too hard to pick without trying them out.

I ordered a Tank e10 and e11.  The longer e11 taking 2 AAAs just looked .. neat. :D

I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light, I don't need another 1xAAA light,

The E10, the E11 and the Lumintop all look like really good little lights.  Good to hear it's going well so far. :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:44 AM
Good to hear. :tu:

I have a Lumintop in my cart but I accidentally bough a LM Pulse today. ;) Maybe next week when the China shipping back after new year has cleared somewhat.

As for the Thrunite Ti going single mode on you, I've heard this happening and it was a potential issue on it from the start due to the kind of compression switch it uses. The small tab get's twisted out of shape and the low mode is so close to the high you can't find it. You might try to bend the contact tab in the head a bit back, but there's always a risk of braking it off. :-\

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 12:29:03 AM
Good to hear. :tu:

I have a Lumintop in my cart but I accidentally bough a LM Pulse today. ;) Maybe next week when the China shipping back after new year has cleared somewhat.

As for the Thrunite Ti going single mode on you, I've heard this happening and it was a potential issue on it from the start due to the kind of compression switch it uses. The small tab get's twisted out of shape and the low mode is so close to the high you can't find it. You might try to bend the contact tab in the head a bit back, but there's always a risk of braking it off. :-\

Ya I tried to bend it, it worked for a bit, then stopped again.  So I retired it.  Its currently my beater light for the shop when I drop something and cant find it.

us Offline radioactive_Man

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 04:57:07 AM
Looks like I'm late to the party since you already made some purchases, but I was going to suggest you look at single AA lights since you're sheath carrying. There are lots of options for rear clickys, and you'd get much better run time then with a AAA, which are usually keychain carried. 

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 01:17:18 PM
  Looking forward for your impressions on the E10 and E11. I've been wanting a 2*AAA and the Tank really caught my eye!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 01:34:19 PM
PLEASE stop posting about flashlights/torches people ! I HAD ONE ledlenser P3 and I was happy, now I have 2 and a couple of headlamps and some cheapo's THEN for Xmas I asked for a Fenix (santa was good to me ;) ) this is going the same way plier based Multis started.... and we all know how that ends  :twak:
(it doesn't !!!!  :ahhh)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 07:01:17 PM
It's a slippery slope and no mistake mate. ;)

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:03 PM
and the 'Kirk-monster' was showing off an olight over a civilized beer the other day, if I end up with one I shall blame him for sure   :twak: (they do look nice though...and so well priced  :ahhh)
this is the problem meeting in a UK pub, we can't compare Knives without expecting a visit from the 'tactical response team' so we slipped into a convocation about keyring lights and now I find myself 'googling'  ::)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 07:44:21 PM
So ... what will you get? :pok:

>:D

Oh, and :bump:

I'm often jealous of the people with only one gear addiction. Being only into SAKs, or multies, or flashlights ... must be nice. I have too battle them all. :ahhh I'm doing better on the flashlight front nowadays, only bought one this year and maybe 3-4 last year but still have circa 30 brand name flashlights in my rotation. :doh:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:06 PM
So ... what will you get? :pok:

>:D

Oh, and :bump:

I'm often jealous of the people with only one gear addiction. Being only into SAKs, or multies, or flashlights ... must be nice. I have too battle them all. :ahhh I'm doing better on the flashlight front nowadays, only bought one this year and maybe 3-4 last year but still have circa 30 brand name flashlights in my rotation. :doh:

SAKs and MTs are my main vice.  I dabbled in lights but they seem to be more for use than collecting for me.   I was very turned off when I bought one expensive Peak and it was crap.  Sold that and wouldnt touch another. 

I do have alot of survival gear and axes.  Only a couple of folders (love benchmades) and one big Fallkniven A1 fixed blade.  I see more small axes in my future though, I want a few more GBs, and a Fallkniven F1. 

After more than 2 years of SAK crafting I havent gotten remotely tired of it yet.  I still get quite alot of joy in customizing those and trying to think of new ideas.  So thats definitely my addiction of choice.  I do really like hunting down and collecting unique MTs though.  Recently got the flair, campflame, autotool.   :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 08:14:18 PM
+1 on SAKs. I have too really put on the breaks sometimes when I see something sweet and old. The problem with them is even if it's a broken or in rough shape it's that modder fodder thingie that makes me hope it will go cheap. :doh:

I don't do big fixed blades at all. I have a limited edition/disco'd KaBar and an old Nieto bowie that I got in my teens and that's it. I like the look and feel of the Fallkniven blades, I'd probably buy an S1 if they weren't so pricey here (about $250) but on most trips a $12 Mora Clipper/Bahco 2444 is all I need and then some.

I used to collect AAA flashlights, they are so nice, small and oh so useful but as I said I stopped a few years back when I got more seriously into the MT/SAK world.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 10:28:06 PM
My Tank007 lights came in!

Without more use I cant say which I like better, but I sure do like them all so far.  The lumintop and E10 are very similar, but I like the clicky switch on the lumintop much more.  Its rubber covered and nice and grippy.  The E10 is very nice though and has one more light level than the lumintop.  I do like the option for a lanyard on the lumintop too though.. so I guess that gives it an early lead.

The E11 I really just wanted to play with as I wasnt sure how or if Id carry it.  My wife is a nurse though and I thought she actually could use it if I didnt.  Very similar to the E10 with extended run time. 

Lights... who new they can be addictive like SAKs... :D

The clips are pretty much identical.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:32:12 PM by Syph007 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 10:40:04 PM
It's a slippery slope to flashoholics anonymous. ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%