Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend me a backpack

es Offline Sparkydave

Recommend me a backpack
on: January 27, 2014, 01:13:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm after a bag to carry some bits and bobs around, I don't really want a tactical one though but it has to last. I also want to be able to use it as a daysac. All this maxpedition stuff is nice but price and too tacticool ;-)

Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Re: Recommend me a backpack
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:05 PM
I have quite a few backpacks. Maxpedition (typhoon gearslinger before they went double strap), kelty, jansport, osprey, rei, and many more.

For daily use, I prefer either my rei flash 22 ($50!) or my older model typhoon gearslinger.

After hearing some 'things' about maxped's customer service and eccentric CEO, I can't honestly recommend them anymore, even though the products I have are great.

I really like my flash 22. So much, in fact, I'm going to switch back to it tonight lol.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:32:43 PM
Depending on the style of bag you are looking for, Dakine makes some pretty nice and pretty durable packs. Mine has been beaten on daily and overloaded with too many books for about 4 years now without too much wear to show for it. Not overly pricey either, though they have a bit of a urban/skater look to them.(Which is great for me but may not be for you)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:36 PM
What's your price range and how big should the backpack be? Do you prefer one big main compartment or many smaller ones?

us Offline Dale

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:00:38 PM
I use a Oakley Panel Pack... I love this thing

They can be found on Ebay for under $100
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:02:56 PM by Dale »

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:11:59 AM
If you want a good, basic backpack (and they're available in the U.K.), consider Jansport. Inexpensive, well made, and lifetime warranty.

Just a good, basic backpack.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:25:28 AM
If you want a good, basic backpack (and they're available in the U.K.), consider Jansport. Inexpensive, well made, and lifetime warranty.

+1 Jansport are very good simple packs.  My everyday backpack right now is a Swissgear City Pack, built like a tank, plenty of room and pockets, and was very reasonably priced.  It was my Christmas present to myself two years ago, and I love it.  :tu:

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:20:34 PM
I like that Oakley one! I will need some organisation I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:51 AM

I'm after a bag to carry some bits and bobs around, I don't really want a tactical one though but it has to last. I also want to be able to use it as a daysac. All this maxpedition stuff is nice but price and too tacticool ;-)

I use a Camelbak Rim Runner 25, North Face Ion 20, and a Camelbak Mule 12. I realise that these fall back in that $100 price range but they have been fantastic. The North Face Ion 20 has been with me for around 5 years now and is still looking great with no rips or tears in it. I've dragged that thing all over USA, Philippines, Cambodia, Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador with no problems. A little smart packing and I can fit 2 camera lenses (18-300mm and 12-24mm) plus my Asus Transformer with keyboard and charger, camera charger, water bottle, tripod attached to bottom, and maybe 3 days worth of clothes. When I don't lug around the extra gear I can fit almost a weeks worth of clothes in it and the necessary toiletries plus the Transformer. I think the heaviest I've ever had it was around 25 pounds of gear.

After hearing some 'things' about maxped's customer service and eccentric CEO, I can't honestly recommend them anymore, even though the products I have are great.

So this has piqued my interest, can you go further into it? I love their gear and have been using them for many many years with no issues at all. I think I have around 8 of their bags and countless pouches.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:09:08 AM
Since you are looking for no MOLLE, I guess the question becomes what ARE you looking for? Requirements and budgets, or at least what have you seen that you almost liked and what didn't you like about it?

So this has piqued my interest, can you go further into it? I love their gear and have been using them for many many years with no issues at all. I think I have around 8 of their bags and countless pouches.

Tim Tang, the CEO of Maxpedition can be a bit of a tool. And he got into a peeing for distance contest with the owner/moderator of another forum, and I think they both acted like children. I left that board when I was harassed by the the more partisan members because I didn't divest myself of my Maxped items. And they are still seem very elitist- last time I was in there it seemed like if you don't use the overpriced cool kid bags whos manufacturers pay sponsorship/kickback fees to the owner of the forum, then your opinions don't matter.

Thank the gods for Multitool.org. I think Grant would skin someone if that kind of stupid came here. Carry the latest and fanciest of bling gear, older gear that still kicks smurf and only asks for more, plain jane noname stuff that still works, it's all cool- heck, if your EDC is a pawn shop SAK, a four dollar pair of pliers, and a Minimag you carry in an old sock, we're still going to take you seriously.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 05:17:59 AM
Ironraven you couldn't be more right, I've been to at least four different forums and was berated and insulted for not being an absolute expert at everything. This is the first forum I've found that is actually a kind and respectful community and the best part about that is it draws in more people like that. I love trying to contribute here in any way I can(which isn't much). But my next bag purchase will be this one. I've had great experiences with my Dakine packs so far, definitely not a tacticool brand and they have a lot of different style of packs, wouldn't hurt to give them a look.
dakine-heli-pack-backpack-hood.jpg
* dakine-heli-pack-backpack-hood.jpg (Filesize: 141.41 KB)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 08:24:39 AM

+1 Jansport are very good simple packs.  My everyday backpack right now is a Swissgear City Pack, built like a tank, plenty of room and pockets, and was very reasonably priced.  It was my Christmas present to myself two years ago, and I love it.  :tu:

I always knew you were a chap of taste and distinction. :hatsoff:

Here's my most carried bag, a Wenger branded version of the same bag as Tom's.  Excellent, compact every day rucksack.

Used to be well stocked at TK Maxx.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 04:45:37 AM

There's been quite a few separate occasions on different forums about the owner of maxped being extremely immature. Granted, most of those incidents were only documented by one side of the situation, however there is one specific example of both sides having at it very publicly, with threats of physical harm being made by the owner. In addition to the threats, he also made multiple accounts on the forum to speak as different people, and got blatantly caught due to the IP addresses. I love their products, great quality and some are very useful and unique, but if that's the way a business is controlled, I'll skip. YMMV, of course.

Never going to give up my micro organizer or typhoon gearslinger, though. Next time I want a molle bag, however, I'm going 5.11 rush.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 10:06:11 PM
I'm not willing to pay Maxpedition prices. If they were American made sure, but China made at those prices and they can kiss my butt.

So I go Red Rock Outdoor Gear. Not the greatest I'll be first to say, but no complaints on my part.
I have two sling bags and what they call their "Assault pack". And I can buy two or three of them for the price of one Maxpedition.
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rock-Outdoor-Gear-Rover/dp/B0094GLESS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391720470&sr=8-1&keywords=red+rock+outdoor+gear
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rock-Outdoor-Gear-Assault/dp/B00767EKA6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391720470&sr=8-3&keywords=red+rock+outdoor+gear

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:09 PM
Wherever they are made, Maxpedition stuff lasts forever.  Both of my sons have been using a Condor II backpack as a school backpack for probably 6 years each.  They get beat to heck on a daily basis but still look and function almost like new.  A regular school backpack will last one year if you are lucky, and probably not even that long.  So they cost more, but they've kept me from buying probably 10 new backpacks.  So not only am I saving money, but my boys have killer backpacks.  Those cheapy backpacks are made in China too.  Maxpedition takes a lot of heat on the interweb, but they also make the most durable gear on the market.

Offline chudsy

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:21:44 PM
Just got a Timbuk2 Blackbird from wiggle,  very happy with it. Build quality looks good and lotts of nice design features.

gb Offline nelson

Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 05:05:34 PM
I have a different take on backpacks, I hated hunting throughthe myriad of pockets in the old one and eventually found solice in this Tamrack Rucksack.

This is about 5 years old and has been all over the world and to work every single day.  I bought it second hand on Ebay as they're expensive new, though are fairly watertight and tough.

It's really for a DSLR setup, but what I love is that I flip it open with one zip and everything I need is neatly laid out to hand. It only has a couple of the Velcro dividers fitted in this pic as I'm using it for my lunches this week, but there are infinite variations.

There are a couple of tidy pockets on the front that I have an emergency overnight kit in on one side and all my infotainment stuff in the other. The padded laptop section is unusually on the front so is always to hand without having to move the pack.

Everyone is different, this setup seems to suit me.

I also have a Stanley Rucksack for carrying tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 05:08:40 PM
Thank the gods for Multitool.org. I think Grant would skin someone if that kind of stupid came here. Carry the latest and fanciest of bling gear, older gear that still kicks smurf and only asks for more, plain jane noname stuff that still works, it's all cool- heck, if your EDC is a pawn shop SAK, a four dollar pair of pliers, and a Minimag you carry in an old sock, we're still going to take you seriously.

+1. This is why this is the only forum I ever considered joining.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 05:16:49 PM
Just got a Timbuk2 Blackbird from wiggle,  very happy with it. Build quality looks good and lotts of nice design features.
For urban settings, I love Timbuk2 messenger bags.  Extremely comfortable, hold a lot of stuff, adjustable, extremely water resistant.

Good for walking, cycling, motorcycle commuting.

:)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 05:48:18 PM
If you were in Canada, I'd recommend MEC bags. I've had one for almost 2 decades and beat the living daylights out of it. Started as a school bag and has since been taken camping, traveling and is now my dedicated work/EDC bag. As a result, I am biased and have not had too many reasons to carry any other brand.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 07:51:48 PM
I've been rather impressed with the Vango Boulder 45 I picked up on clearance.  Very simple and rugged backpack.  Not much in the way of organisation, the main section is just one large compartment, but it does feel well made.  Also available in 25 and 35 litre sizes.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%