Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What SOG are you carrying now?

ducttapetech · 1658 · 103250

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: What SOG are you carrying now?
Reply #241 on: November 24, 2015, 03:54:08 PM
Thanks Steve!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #242 on: November 24, 2015, 03:58:43 PM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #243 on: November 24, 2015, 06:00:18 PM
None! I have two SOGs, and I've recently decided not to carry either of them.

The Powerlock was assigned to the main tool bag a while back, so that I'll have some compound leverage pliers in there should I ever need them. The onboard toolset still isn't complete, and while I was considering slaughtering a PST II for the scissors and diamond file, I'm now wondering if those scissors might be better deployed in a Sideclip....  :think:

The Switchplier 2.0 with modified load out has just been assigned to the saddlebag of the bike. I do have bike tools in there anyway, but at least I'll have this, the bit adaptor, a bit set, and and accompanying Joseph Rodgers Camper (knife, can opener and bottle opener) should I need them, as the only other MT I'd have on my would be whatever is on my housekeys (currently a Gerber Dime). The other reason I've stuffed it in here, is that to get the most from it, it needs pairing with the other items I've listed, which makes it awkward for pocket carry.

The third SOG is an original Switchplier, with the innards from the new one, and listed in my for sale thread - so I'm not counting that one  :whistle:

So my daily carry will be SOG-free for the foreseeable future

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #244 on: November 24, 2015, 06:14:21 PM
Booo. Happiness is a SOG in your pocket :D
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #245 on: November 24, 2015, 06:33:54 PM
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #246 on: November 24, 2015, 06:34:43 PM
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #247 on: November 24, 2015, 06:38:58 PM

Close.....

Happiness is having a SOG in your pocket..... and then trying something else instead  :rofl: >:D

In all seriousness, two SOGs I used to have were fine in the pocket, a Japanese Toolclip, and a modified Paladin PT-510 with PST II parts. I don't have either of those now, but while I don't particularly want to sell the two I've mentioned above (PL and SP2), I don't want to carry them on a daily basis either. This keeps them in my posession, gives them a chance to save the day someday, but also free up my pockets for stuff I'd be happier using on a daily basis  :salute:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: November 24, 2015, 07:17:06 PM
In all seriousness, two SOGs I used to have were fine in the pocket, a Japanese Toolclip, and a modified Paladin PT-510 with PST II parts. I don't have either of those now, but while I don't particularly want to sell the two I've mentioned above (PL and SP2), I don't want to carry them on a daily basis either. This keeps them in my posession, gives them a chance to save the day someday, but also free up my pockets for stuff I'd be happier using on a daily basis  :salute:

There you go! :tu: Different strokes for different folks, right?

I am comparing big bro and little bro right now. Quite the striking pair. I carried the PowerLock with me elk hunting first thing this morning (I was hoping to use the scissors to notch my tag), but it hasn't been called into service yet today :(

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #249 on: November 24, 2015, 07:24:12 PM
I have the same Powerlock (S60?) with full lock bar and gear covers. The gear covers are for me what makes the PT510 great and the PPP left in the store. I'd echo Kirky's comments that I'm surprised they haven't seen fit to incorporate gear covers on the PPP. It can't add much cost, and more people would be happier carrying\using one. If they start adding gear covers I might buy one at some point, otherwise they can stop at the store.

.... and yes, different strokes....  :cheers:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #250 on: November 24, 2015, 08:09:04 PM
I don't get it either. Especially confounding because they manufactured the larger gear covers for the pt510, which is the exact same tool.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #251 on: November 24, 2015, 09:20:13 PM
SP2. and it did a lot of stapler maintenance today
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #252 on: November 27, 2015, 12:14:05 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!! :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #253 on: November 27, 2015, 01:40:16 AM
Happy Thanksgiving! Sweet pic BTW.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #254 on: November 27, 2015, 01:44:29 AM

I think my wife would throw a spoon at me if I tried to pull a stunt like that
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #255 on: November 27, 2015, 03:55:52 PM
No spoons (yet), but my Wife throws a certain look at me :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #256 on: November 27, 2015, 06:29:07 PM

Sweet plate of food and even sweeter Powerlock! I'm glad you're still enjoying it :tu:
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #257 on: December 01, 2015, 02:02:44 AM
The PowerLock leads the charge of my work-carry this tour and will for the foreseeable future. Back-up duty falls to my trusty SOG-TAC Auto and Mag-lite XL50. :tu: Still loving the PowerLock and have been giving it some good work the last few days.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #258 on: December 01, 2015, 02:11:15 AM
Very nice!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

Reply #259 on: December 01, 2015, 02:13:06 AM
Nice setup there :tu:
SAW

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #260 on: December 01, 2015, 11:52:42 AM
Nice setup! One of these days ill get myself a ss Powerlock 2.0, as my BO OG PowerLock is just a tad too fiddly for normal use (itll make a great glovebox milti if the plier jaws ever make it to me from their warranty dept.)

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sawman

Reply #261 on: December 01, 2015, 01:24:49 PM
Nice setup! One of these days ill get myself a ss Powerlock 2.0, as my BO OG PowerLock is just a tad too fiddly for normal use (itll make a great glovebox milti if the plier jaws ever make it to me from their warranty dept.)
They greatly improved the pliers IMO. The cutters are razor sharp and needlenose more defined. I would hope to see them work on the replaceable tools instead of releasing those new tools which I don't care for. They have so many excellent knives to choose from they just need to invest some time in their multitools.
SAW

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #262 on: December 01, 2015, 02:22:59 PM
They greatly improved the pliers IMO. The cutters are razor sharp and needlenose more defined. I would hope to see them work on the replaceable tools instead of releasing those new tools which I don't care for. They have so many excellent knives to choose from they just need to invest some time in their multitools.
Agreed. They really need to introduce a better Phillips, or at least a #2 to go with the one they already have. Saw could use some slimming down, and files need to be more agressive. The actual multitool blades are axtually pretty good, too bad I only sometimes use the serrated blade, and never tough the PE

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #263 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:22 AM
I've been fiddling with my newest addition all day today - the diminutive CrossCut. I have to say, I am not impressed. :( Definitely not up to the quality level of the PPP, PowerLock, and SwitchPlier. I guess as a whole it's not too terrible, but the one glaring problem also happens to be the focal point of the tool - the scissors. Specifically, the rivets that hold the springs are too long. They stick far enough into the the body of the tool that they badly rub the scissor head below the pivot. This causes the scissors to stick closed. At any rate, it is nice looking. Still, I have to give it up to SOG for sending me some free swag (I got a hat, too). Regardless of how good or bad some of their  products are, SOG is awesome in my book. :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #264 on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:35 AM
SP2 and I'm glad it was on me. Spent an hour fixing the damn copy machine
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sawman

Reply #265 on: December 02, 2015, 12:09:35 PM
I've been fiddling with my newest addition all day today - the diminutive CrossCut. I have to say, I am not impressed. :( Definitely not up to the quality level of the PPP, PowerLock, and SwitchPlier. I guess as a whole it's not too terrible, but the one glaring problem also happens to be the focal point of the tool - the scissors. Specifically, the rivets that hold the springs are too long. They stick far enough into the the body of the tool that they badly rub the scissor head below the pivot. This causes the scissors to stick closed. At any rate, it is nice looking. Still, I have to give it up to SOG for sending me some free swag (I got a hat, too). Regardless of how good or bad some of their  products are, SOG is awesome in my book. :salute:

Huge SOG fan here but I also hate the CrossCut. The shame is they could make it better if they wanted to.
SAW

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #266 on: December 02, 2015, 07:10:09 PM

Huge SOG fan here but I also hate the CrossCut. The shame is they could make it better if they wanted to.
Ditto. I don't like the hole in the file and the toothpick is overly thick. kind sucks.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #267 on: December 02, 2015, 07:11:25 PM
Switchplier in action today for me with craftsman utility blade   
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #268 on: December 02, 2015, 07:15:49 PM
I been carrying my customized P³.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #269 on: December 04, 2015, 04:25:54 AM
My off-duty carry: SwitchPlier 2.0. Now featuring scissors and plain-edge blade :tu: So far, since making the swap today, I am enjoying this setup. I am getting a lot more use out of it with scissors than I was with the file. I would eventually like to swap the blade out and get the file back in, and then carry a stand-alone folder. But for now, this works since I haven't settled on a folder I like for off-duty.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%