Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Innitial Impression : Maglight Solitaire LED : Wow!

Jors · 39 · 4774

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Innitial Impression : Maglight Solitaire LED : Wow!
on: February 05, 2014, 08:19:34 PM
I received my Black Maglight Solitaire LED today in less than 24 hours after I made the online payment to Loot.co.za.
It is the version in the black plastic case.
Awesome!
I immediately love the finnish. I have read several articles about this flashlight and why people don't like it and the absence of knurling....The flashlight is featuring knurling! The knurling is the straight line finnish. I am a model engineer so I know that you get straight knurling blades. I have seen them myself.

I like the focusing meganism by turning the head a but further than the switch on.

I waited unitl dark and I directed the beam to a wall about 30 meters away. Awesome.

I compared it to my AAA Maratac. SHOOT ME IF YOU WANT! The maglite outperforms the Maratac in the beam. I then directed it a bit further to my neighbour's trees and I am impressed. The beam is stronger (not the light strength) due to the ability to focus, where the Maratac is spreading the light a bit more.

The beam makes it at my test done, slightly stronger.

I will do a proper  series of tests and then do a review later.

I can just say that I will recommend this little flashlite with a smile. This thingy really rocks.

I would like to get the LED Lenser P3 later, as I am fond of little flashlights. However I am of the opinion thet the LL have a much better focusing ability.

I like the 10 year guarantee, although it means nothing for me. I cannot send it to USA for a repair. The LL is backed by Leatherman and I can get a replacement withing walking distance, as indeed happened to me a year ago, The Maratac will have to be thrown away if braking down (I doubt it will ever happen!)
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Innitial Impression : Maglight Solitaire LED : Wow!
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:30:59 PM
Glad you like it. I'll probably end up with one of those at some point if I can find it cheap enough. I like the form factor and agree that the agressive knurling so popular on most lights isn't necessary.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:14:12 PM
I've also recently got a Maglite Solitaire LED, and it is a very nice flashlight that will find a spot on my keychain... unless I but an E01 at tomorrow's Toronto Sportsmen Show! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Leatherman

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:04:32 AM
I like and trust Mini Mags ( I often use the AA and 3A's ) , they may not be the brightest , but they last for years .

Chris

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 05:10:31 AM
I like the total simplicity of this light. I've been pocketing it for seven or eight months now.

Oh, and you can pop the top, stand the light on end, and illuminate a surprisingly large space. Believe it or not, that has made it invaluable for more than one school science experiment.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:20:39 AM
Glad you like it. I'll probably end up with one of those at some point if I can find it cheap enough. I like the form factor and agree that the aggressive knurling so popular on most lights isn't necessary.

You took the words right out of my mouth. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:47:08 AM
Glad you like it. I'll probably end up with one of those at some point if I can find it cheap enough. I like the form factor and agree that the agressive knurling so popular on most lights isn't necessary.

But knurling means tactical, and tactical means being able to beat my enemies mercilessly about the head and shoulders with a three-inch flashlight. Q.E.D.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 08:51:15 AM
:tu: I carry mine every day.

I also appreciate that their twisty works the right way round. Smurf on you Fenix for making me screw the E15 appart to shut it off :rant:.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:12 AM
Would you recomend it?
I have a Solitaire Krypton that was converted to red a couple of years ago. I now use my iPhone. But being a MTO member I ought to buy a flashlight right?
[Is this the right one?/url]
Are the XL 50-100-20 larger? It seems they take 3 AAAs, but I can't tell their size from the pics.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 02:34:05 PM
I have an LED Solitaire and a Fenix E05 and its the E05 that wins for me every time. The beam is more useful, it's a fairly soft flood which is exactly what I need in a small light for closeup stuff. The E05 seems tougher and the LED is regulated which the Solitaire isn't. I found the focussing ability on my Solitaire was pretty pants and didn't particularly gain me anything.

If someone wanted a Solitaire specifically I wouldn't try and argue them out of it, if they'd bought one I wouldn't try and get them to take it back. I just find it much easier to get enthusiastic about the E05.

I wholeheartedly agree about the knurling though  :salute:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 03:45:49 PM

I also appreciate that their twisty works the right way round. Smurf on you Fenix for making me screw the E15 appart to shut it off :rant:.

"The right way 'round" from the perspective of a Maglite owner.  Every other twisty manufacturer does it the way Fenix does, so it could be argued that Maglite is the "wrong way 'round".

Granted, Maglite pretty much invented the "twisty".  But, considering the complexity of the typical Maglie twist switch vs. nearly everyone else's, I would say Maglite has it wrong.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:47:22 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 07:39:20 PM
I will definately in the future buy the Fenix EO5, the LED Lenser P3 and maybe also the Tank007 EO9.

At some stage Fenix also made a stainless steel one, but that was a limited edition.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 08:13:25 PM

"The right way 'round" from the perspective of a Maglite owner.  Every other twisty manufacturer does it the way Fenix does, so it could be argued that Maglite is the "wrong way 'round".

Granted, Maglite pretty much invented the "twisty".  But, considering the complexity of the typical Maglie twist switch vs. nearly everyone else's, I would say Maglite has it wrong.

The Solitaire is the only AAA twisty light I've found that I don't have to half disassemble before I can put it away. I'm hard on my pocket carry stuff (and, in fact, myself), and I cannot count the number of times I've gone to use my flashlights only to find them in anywhere from 3 to 600 pieces in my pocket.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 09:13:40 PM
Agreed. I'd like to have more options with the tighten for off interface. The loosen for off is a mcuh simpler design though and also safer in case of a head first fall of said flashlights I think. :think:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 03:52:32 AM
The loosen for off is a mcuh simpler design though and also safer in case of a head first fall of said flashlights I think. :think:

I agree, especially with the safety aspect.  I would rather the threads take the brunt of the fall, rather than the battery, especially in the case of lithium or Li-Ion batteries, where explosion or a "flame event" could result.

I appreciate the benefits and convenience of a tighten-off interface, but the engineer in me appreciates simplicity of design and the resultant durability of those designs over convenience.  I've owned and carried many flashlights with the loosen-off head design, and have never had one fail or come apart in my pocket.  If your flashlight is coming apart in your pocket, I would speculate that it either is not designed properly, or is not well maintained.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:04:04 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 04:30:37 PM
I'm just glad to see Mag getting with the program .

Chris

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 04:38:35 PM
I'm holding off on the Solitaire for now since I am happy with my 47's minis. I much prefer the thickness to the long and narrowness.
SAW

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 04:40:24 PM
I got one and like it. I'm not hard on flashlights anyway and I was used to the krypton version for 10-15 years. The same form factor but more and whiter photons. What's not to like?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 04:53:47 PM
Would you recomend it?
I have a Solitaire Krypton that was converted to red a couple of years ago. I now use my iPhone. But being a MTO member I ought to buy a flashlight right?
[Is this the right one?/url]
Are the XL 50-100-20 larger? It seems they take 3 AAAs, but I can't tell their size from the pics.

Glad you got the LED solitaire.  The XL series are much larger that the Solitare and thicker as well.  The XL also uses 3 AAA batteries that are held in a carousel.  I have the XL 50 and love it, it's pretty much a large solitaire shape wise. My XL 50 modes are  Hi/25%/Strobe it's approx length is 4.75 inch long and almost an 1 inch wide.
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 07:26:43 PM
The loosen for off is a mcuh simpler design though and also safer in case of a head first fall of said flashlights I think. :think:

I agree, especially with the safety aspect.  I would rather the threads take the brunt of the fall, rather than the battery, especially in the case of lithium or Li-Ion batteries, where explosion or a "flame event" could result.

I appreciate the benefits and convenience of a tighten-off interface, but the engineer in me appreciates simplicity of design and the resultant durability of those designs over convenience.  I've owned and carried many flashlights with the loosen-off head design, and have never had one fail or come apart in my pocket.  If your flashlight is coming apart in your pocket, I would speculate that it either is not designed properly, or is not well maintained.

Well, maintenance isn't the issue, but I think we might be able to point the finger at the design — though I suspect we would do so for different reasons.

I admit that my iNova XL is pretty good, too, but I only need or want a single mode on my pocket flashlights. That might make me an oddball, but it's one area in which I very much prefer simplicity.

I'm glad the Solitaire finally got an update, because I had been seriously considering modding one to LED just so I could have a nice, simple, and bright flashlight. The problem is I'm better at improvising tools than permanently modding them.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:36 PM
Based on this thread I got me a LED Solitaire. If it stops raining at any point,I'll nip outside and see what I think :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 08:23:09 PM
Based on this thread I got me a LED Solitaire. If it stops raining at any point,I'll nip outside and see what I think :think:

If nothing else, I'm sure you'll agree it beats the incandescent Solitaire out of the water. But then, so does the light on my wristwatch.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:28:34 AM

If nothing else, I'm sure you'll agree it beats the incandescent Solitaire out of the water. But then, so does the light on my wristwatch.

Yeah,your not wrong about that!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 12:11:05 PM
I'm really happy about my LED Solitaire as well. KISS FTW, to speak in acronyms. ;)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:06 AM
I'm a big fan of the Solitare and the AAA Mini Mag for one main reason - in a small light all I want is on / off .

Even on larger EDC lites , I only want two - high and low ( always high first ) .

Mag makes a quality product , that takes a beating . You'll see a lot of 10 - 15 year old Incan. Minis on tradesman's belts .

Chris

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:56 AM
I also just got a Maglight Solitaire LED, and I too am very pleased with it.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 02:53:52 AM
I looked at my local hardware store for a new led maglight and I got told he's got to sell the old ones first before he will order new.  :facepalm:

I'm trying to talk the owner into carrying the full line from maglight.

you'll know if he did if you see more than my old blue xl50 in my edc pics.

Defend the Hive!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 11:22:55 AM
Well I done a quick unscientific test last night. The LED Solitaire matched the iO3s on high output! Now if only Maglite would do it as a Multi mode :gimme:

I have to say that I once viewed Maglite as something on the same level as Leatherman or Victorinox,and its nice to see them get back with the program :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 01:06:57 PM
I looked at my local hardware store for a new led maglight and I got told he's got to sell the old ones first before he will order new.  :facepalm:

I'm trying to talk the owner into carrying the full line from maglight.

you'll know if he did if you see more than my old blue xl50 in my edc pics.
You should try the Mag-Tac, that thing is a beast.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 01:08:25 PM
Well I done a quick unscientific test last night. The LED Solitaire matched the iO3s on high output! Now if only Maglite would do it as a Multi mode :gimme:

I have to say that I once viewed Maglite as something on the same level as Leatherman or Victorinox,and its nice to see them get back with the program :tu:
Me too! They have really stepped up there game. And they don't cost an arm and a leg.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24