Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Worksharp knife sharpener thoughts

us Offline Hyatt181

Worksharp knife sharpener thoughts
on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:11 PM
I am thinking about getting a worksharp system.
Sharpening knifes is not my favorite pastime so looking for something that worked well and was easy.
Have used the lansky system and have had a dmt sharpening block. I am typically only sharpening victorinox blades.

How is the worksharp system. Is the ken onion version worth the extra money?

Thanks
Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like bowls, they contain chaos.

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Re: Worksharp knife sharpener thoughts
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:06:50 PM
I found it took too much off the blade if I was not moving it fast enough.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:42:18 PM
I have the Worksharp system, and few other sharpening system, such as sharpmaker, WE and lansky turn box.

Personally, I usually take good care of my blades and most of my "sharpening" done is actually touching up(more like honing than actual 'sharpening'), and for that, I do like the sharpmaker the best.  It's easy, and it pretty much could 'sharpen'(can't cut paper) or 'hone'(cut paper poorly) any kinds of sharp that I have.  But for serious reprofiling, I can see the value of Worksharp.  But I need to take extra precaution that it doesn't 'round off' the tip of the blade if I am not careful.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:46 PM
I'd seriously recommend against the Worksharp for a SAK blade. It takes off a lot of material, as was said. Even the finer grits remove a lot of steel, on blades with steels that are harder and more wear resistant than the steel on a SAK. Doing SAK blades on a Wicked Edge, I found to be careful and pay attention to how much material I was taking off since I like to conserve the usable life of a blade as much as possible.

I find the Worksharp is good for my larger blades like my Kershaw Camp 10. It's a beater blade that I use for chopping and while it's only 1065 carbon steel, it's thick and hard enough to not be eaten away by the belts so long as I pay attention and don't go lower than the medium grits.

I'd say find a better manual sharpener for your SAKs, or look into a bench stone or the Sharpmaker. When touching up on the Sharpmaker, I can easily get blades that cleanly slice phone book paper without snags, which is sharp enough for me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:12:42 AM
Knife sharpening is the most interesting activity for all the knife enthusiast as they see their dull knife got alive after the sharpening task is completed. Knife sharpeners are the best the knife enthusiasts can have.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:33:32 PM
I personally prefer manual systems as it gives me more control over the final product.

The only time I use powered grinders is when I want to grind and not sharpen.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 11:15:49 PM
I find the Worksharp a good tool for restoring a blade that has had serious neglect in the past, or would benefit from a reprofiled edge - though as others have said, if a blade is looked after and just needs touching up, a Worksharp isn't needed and is a bit too "hungry"

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 04:54:20 AM
I find the Worksharp a good tool for restoring a blade that has had serious neglect in the past, or would benefit from a reprofiled edge - though as others have said, if a blade is looked after and just needs touching up, a Worksharp isn't needed and is a bit too "hungry"

To add onto that, I do use the Worksharp to reprofile an axe, and it's a miracle that could get it done so quick. :)

00 Offline cool123

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 11:50:18 AM
I am a knife collector and have a passion to collect utility knives. I believe that the knife sharpeners are very essential tool for keeping your knives razor sharp always.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 03:23:15 PM
As stated above I would recommend against. I have one and agree that it does take off an excessive amount. It was great while turning the nail file into a blade on most of my Wenger's. I prefer the Sharpmaker above all 

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 09:54:11 PM
I bought a work sharp hand held model, works good for me, and I suck a shaprpening. Has a fine diamond stone on one side, corse, rod type sharpener, and leather strop.works for me

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 03:17:23 PM
I bought a work sharp hand held model, works good for me, and I suck a shaprpening. Has a fine diamond stone on one side, corse, rod type sharpener, and leather strop.works for me
I saw those, they look very cool. Might be one in my near future. I like the strop feature

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%