Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition Fatty EDC Organizer....

Dale · 26 · 7575

us Offline Dale

Maxpedition Fatty EDC Organizer....
on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:04 AM

Recently my pockets & belt have seems to be picking up weight. I first attributed this to Mrs D's cooking.. But I notice it seems to be all going to my right side.

Hence the Fatty,  I recently started look for a EDC pouch after seeing a few in here. Does anyone have any experience with these? Like / Dislike them?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:24:53 AM by Dale »

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Maxpedition Fatty EDC Organizer....
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:52:07 AM
I've never had a fatty Dale.

I can say I've liked all the maxpedition products I've owned.

I need to replace my lost micro.

I'm going to be following this thread

bigger is better maybe.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Dale

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:58:29 AM
I watched a few videos of them ( youtube) . You can put a gang of stuff in em...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:46:51 AM
I have a micro and serves as a FAK/Small tool kit.  I was gonna pick up the EDC pouch and had considered the fatty.  I can't say enough good stuff about the Max Mini.  I tool will be watching this thread to see what you pack in that bad boy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Dale

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:27 PM
It would appear that I will need to make a few more purchases ( Load )..... YES!!!!!  :D

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 06:35:41 AM
I just purchased one. I originally did to use as a first aid kit for my car because I didn't like the huge box my kit came with. Well I put most of that first aide kit in (left some stuff out I didn't need) and there was a lot of space left. So it became a survival/first aide kit. I've been having a hard time filling it because it really does hold a lot. It's a great case but I'm not sure for edc use,  just because of how much it can hold. If I was edcing one, I would drop down to the micro or mini.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:46:21 AM
Dale,

I do have and use all the Maxpedition organizer, from Micro all the way up to Beefy(IIRC, Micro, Mini, Pocket, Fatty and Beefy)

Personally, I think the only one that will fit comfortably in any non-cargo pants(jeans/pants/kakhi) is Micro, and Mini if nothing else in the pocket.   Pocket EDC organizer is a decent fit in Cargo pants leg pocket(esp 5.11 pocket)

For Fatty and Beefy, that's exclusively belt or pack carry. 

I use Fatty for carrying as a 'travelling kit'/"Backpack EDC", which covers tools/basic first aid/larger size item that are in addition to my EDC MT and items.  Some aspect of emergency survival items are included(just in case of unexpected outdoor activities)

For Beefy, it's part of my 'vehicle kit', which will usually present when I am driving in a foreign countries.  It has more coverage on first aid/72 hours survival items.  The vehicle kit itself is a Maxpedition Jeroboam, which has more room for larger item, like SAM split, Tube tent, etc.  But I am thinking to replace that Jeroboam with something lighter, it's just too heavy for its size and too 'tactical' for my taste.

My 2 cents worth on Maxpedition products--they are definitely well made and will last a long time, but whether it really deserve to be that costly(considering something identical could be made in China for a fraction of its price) and how everything has became 'tactical' all the sudden(if it is black and/or made of 1000 denier...for reference, do check out the 'tactical' show bag), that is entirely another story.  :D

us Offline Dale

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:57 AM
 :drink: I actually though about that & broke out the ruler BEFORE I purchased. My wife will tell you thats a almost miracle like phenominon of forethought... Since I wont be pocketing the Fatty.... I wanted one to hold scads of stuff...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:14:18 AM by Dale »

us Offline Dale

Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:58:01 PM

These things are aweome!!! I think the kitchen sink would have fit if I moved some things around...

Load

Left Back Pocket
1. 25 foot OD green paracord.
2. Bottle of Rubbing Alcohol

Left Side
1. UZI tactical pen
2. Bolle' ink pen
3. Extending Magnet
4. Tweezers
5. SAK Climber
6. Lighter

MIddle
1. Fenix PD32

Right Side
1. 2x 18650 Batteries
2. Lock Plier
3. Charge TTI
4. Enlan EL-01

Zipper Pocket
1. Compass
2. Band Aides
3. Aspirin & Ibuprofen
4. Trailer lock

My wife refers to it as a High Tech 'Man purse'.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:18:29 PM by Dale »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 06:25:51 PM
You really can fit a lot in a fatty can't you?  Good load out mate.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Dale

Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 06:34:19 PM
Thanx G  :cheers:

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 03:03:07 AM
Maybe I just don't get it. But this is that is the kind of stuff I carry in my back pack, (which is always close by) but in my pockets?  No way! A SAK Sparton or Climber is plenty.
Perception is reality

us Offline Dale

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:14 AM
Being a truck driver I kinda have to bring it with me. The fatty is small enough to go into my lunch box without having to carry a backpack.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:52 AM
Maybe I just don't get it. But this is that is the kind of stuff I carry in my back pack, (which is always close by) but in my pockets?  No way! A SAK Sparton or Climber is plenty.

I carry a backpack quite often and will carry a whole bunch of different tools/knives or whatever. I like to use the organizer to hold everything that I need in one place. Much easier to find stuff and clears up space for other stuff if desired. I personally would never carry even the micro organizer in my pocket but find it very useful in a pack.

I also have one i turned into a first aid kit which I just grab and throw in my backpack when going out fishing/hunting.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:37 PM
I didnt get it either when I first saw these organizers.  I saw several videos of the same stuff crammed in on everyones videos.  I wondered did everyone have the same occupation or really require the same kits?  I initially got a Condor pouch to "test" drive organizing my stuff.  I quickly learned I really didnt need all that gear I was lugging around so I made a school EDC kit for my daughter. I stuffed it with all the items a HS student would need along with some back up items.

I settled on the Micro because I wanted to organize my pockets and not have stuff in every pocket.  The size is pretty good heck I've seen some wallets bigger than this organizer.  I put a FAK and a few items like a small MT, second blade, USB, Pen, small light and spare battery.  These items are all organized in an easy to carry pouch.  Sure we can carry these items in our pockts but why stuff every pocket?  I personally don't carry this pouch everyday as this pouch is more of a "comfort" kit when away from my vehicle or out and about with friends in their vehicles. 

I also like the idea of compartments within backpack or man bag.  If I change a bag I can grab my dedicated FAK pouch from another and not have to search for it.  I can also decide what I want to bring by removing or adding these type pouches.  Having to reassemble a bag each time I decide I only want to bring a "tool" kit would be a pain ( for me).  I can grab 2 or 3 pouches and be set or just the pouch if i only need its contents.  It's really no different than packing for a trip.  I pack my toiletries in their own separate bag as well as my FAK I carry when I travel.  I dont have everything stuffed into the luggage.  YMMV but it's really a great system.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Dale

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:26 PM
Received my Morale Patch today....

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 11:59:58 PM
Love the patch!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:02 PM
I switched from a Jumbo EDC bag to a Fatboy, and when I did, I had to downsize from the Fatty to the Mini Organizer.

But I thought I'd share MY morale patch with you. :D

Here's a pick of the Fatty under the Mini for comparison.

us Offline Dale

Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 08:21:40 PM
I switched from a Jumbo EDC bag to a Fatboy, and when I did, I had to downsize from the Fatty to the Mini Organizer.

But I thought I'd share MY morale patch with you. :D

Here's a pick of the Fatty under the Mini for comparison.
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 04:46:38 PM
I was hanging out with my friends last night, and pulled up the pic of your morale patch to show them. One of my friends had no idea what a 'morale patch' was, so I had to explain before proceeding with the pic.

I think everyone in the group were pretty big 'Tropic Thunder' fans, so there was much cackling with glee.

:tu:

us Offline Dale

Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 05:24:54 PM
I was hanging out with my friends last night, and pulled up the pic of your morale patch to show them. One of my friends had no idea what a 'morale patch' was, so I had to explain before proceeding with the pic.

I think everyone in the group were pretty big 'Tropic Thunder' fans, so there was much cackling with glee.

:tu:
:cheers:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 05:31:33 PM
I've been torn between a fatty and a beefy for some time ,I'm thinking backpack/bag carry . Mostly for a few emergency tools .

Chris

us Offline Dale

Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 04:41:21 PM
If I'm not mistaken. When I checked the sizee the beefy is a bit larger than the fatty. I didnt want one quite as large as the beefy.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 04:58:12 PM
The only trouble I have with the Maxpedition lineup of organizers is that there is no good way to store smaller items. I mean try to add 10 lighter sized objects! I wish they would make one with more elastic bands

maxpedition_shopped.jpg
* maxpedition_shopped.jpg (Filesize: 280.58 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 05:01:52 PM
The only trouble I have with the Maxpedition lineup of organizers is that there is no good way to store smaller items. I mean try to add 10 lighter sized objects! I wish they would make one with more elastic bands

I have a bunch of little items (in a sewing kit) in my organizer, inside and even smaller soft plastic 'case', tucked behind one of the larger bands. I guess the idea here is bundling multiple small items into somewhat larger items for stowage. Works for me at least.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 07:40:00 PM

I have a bunch of little items (in a sewing kit) in my organizer, inside and even smaller soft plastic 'case', tucked behind one of the larger bands. I guess the idea here is bundling multiple small items into somewhat larger items for stowage. Works for me at least.
Agreed. Though it makes no sense to have a LM MiniTool in a container in a pouch.
So here is the challenge to put it into the Maxpedition Mini:
- Fenix E15
- Lighter
- LM Mini Tool
- Tube of superglue (1 gramm)
- small box of mints
I think you get my point. You don't want to pack them into another container, which means either they sit all in the middle of the pack or they are loose.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%