Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

more comprehensive feedback system?

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
more comprehensive feedback system?
on: February 27, 2014, 11:14:59 PM
First off, I love MTO and find the people here to be the nicest on the interweb.  So this is not a criticism, but maybe just food for thought.

I would like to see a feedback reporting system that maybe shows the number of transactions a seller has entered into, the percentage of favorable outcomes, etc.  Maybe the current software does not allow for this level of feedback.  But when buying on other forums or eBay, the first thing I look at is the seller's feedback score, and if its a seller with few or no sales, or less than 99% good feedback, I like to play it safe and pass that one by.  That's kept me out of a lot of trouble over the years on those other forums.

Just something to cogitate on as we go forward, with the shield of brotherhood in one hand and the sword of victory in the other.  Thanks.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: more comprehensive feedback system?
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:10:10 AM
For the most part, Dear Old Uncle Def doesn't believe in Feedback.  I've ranted on this a number of times over the years, but here's the short version:

MTO is a happy place.  Most folks don't want to post bad feedback for someone and rock the boat, which is why the Feedback Forum is mostly just a bunch of back patting threads.  Also, I'm not sure too many folks here really search the Feedback Forum before trading with someone here, so even if there is some useful information, it's not usually looked at.  That's why we recently had to chase down a certain deadbeat member ripping people off, force him to make amends to most, then ban him.  there was some bad feedback about him, but people (including me) traded with him and got burned anyway.  Then when it finally came to light, people came out of the woodwork to complain about him.

Also, this is primarily a forum, not really a sales platform- which we also have at www.EDCSource.com, a site which does keep track of feedback, seller and buyer ratings etc.  I'm not sure how we could add trade feedback to the accounts- it just isn't really something the forum is set up to do.

It's certainly something we can look into, but I'm not sure that a) it's something we can do, and b) that it would get used much if we did.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 01:28:25 AM
I usually look for some MTo feedback before dealing with someone I don't know.  If I see some +ve feedback that helps me feel more confident dealing with someone (particularly if it is something expensive), but zero feedback won't stop me ( I know what it is like to be a newbie on a forum).

I like the way it is more a friendly, helpful gathering rather than a commercial/sales oriented site  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:08:41 AM
Was trying to find words to express how I felt, but I think Def and gregozedrobe really nailed it down in their posts. Long live MT.O! :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:16:21 PM
For the record, I would like to have a better method for protecting members here- I really would.  While feedback helps, it's not always the answer we are looking for.  For example, most folks by now know about the Pulse I bought on eBay some years ago.  I left the seller bad feedback because the tool was completely trashed, and when I tried to contact the seller about it the answer was basically "too bad, so sad, bye bye."

This seller literally sold so much stuff that my bad feedback was completely buried by other feedback and was virtually worthless as a result.  The seller had an excellent feedback score so I would have never guessed the guy wasn't aware of the difference between "trashed" and "slight wear."

I really don't want to shoot down this idea completely, nor do I want it to sound like I am.  We have in fact debated this sort of thing in the ultra secret Moderator's forum (shh!) for years and we haven't come up with a viable solution yet.  Of course, we aren't all knowing or all seeing, so I welcome any suggestions folks may have.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 01:04:29 PM
just my 2 cents worth, but if someone is spending time on here adding to the 'chat' and general silliness I feel much more confident in dealing with them, that said I've no probs. with a couple of 'newbies' I've had the pleasure of dealing with. On the whole this place seems to work like a firm I was employed by a while back, the 'boss' there used to call it organized chaos !
I've been bitten here, but not as often as in the real world  :whistle:
the Mod team and Def. seem to have their fingers on the pulse and I'm sure they could/would sort out any problems that weren't too childish ?  :think:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 01:15:52 PM
* I've just read my post, and honestly Def. there WAS no 'pun' intended with the word PULSE  :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 03:37:12 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head there- guys who actually use the forum as a forum rather than a sales platform are more likely to be on the level.  Yes, we have had a few exceptions to that rule as well, but I think you'll find none of those exceptions are still here.

No worries on the Pulse- I've made my peace with it.  I still have it by the way- I decided it wasn't Leatherman's fault so I never wanted to send it in, even though they told me once they would replace it for me.  I keep it as a reminder not to trust people I don't know, online or otherwise.

Def

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:19:46 AM
I use the feedback forum, primarily for people I don't know.
If I can't find any feedback then I pay with Paypal and hope that will cover me. If I know the person or they've got consistent good feedback then I'll gift the money because I'd rather the cash went to the person and not Paypal.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 01:55:57 PM
I'm glad to see that some folks are using it, however, as I said earlier, many guys don't want to rock the boat by leaving bad feedback for anyone.  Many folks avoid leaving bad feedback on eBay because they are concerned that someone will leave bad feedback for them.  It's even worse when it's a community like this one since nobody wants to cause friction with people they know.

Def

us Offline Cogito

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 05:37:47 AM
Maybe some sort of secret anonymous feedback system?

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 08:16:53 PM

But then there is nothing to stop people leaving undeserved bad feedback, or leaving undeserved good feedback for themselves or a friend.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Cogito

Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 08:32:42 PM

But then there is nothing to stop people leaving undeserved bad feedback, or leaving undeserved good feedback for themselves or a friend.

I'm sure there would be some way to verify that a transaction did occur and the feedback portion would be secret.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:39:14 PM

I'm sure there would be some way to verify that a transaction did occur and the feedback portion would be secret.

Sounds like it might involve considerable extra admin work for somebody(ies) ?

us Offline Cogito

Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 09:47:36 PM

Well they do say that in order for man to gain something he must sacrifice something.  This is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange :D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:10 AM
Well they do say that in order for man to gain something he must sacrifice something.  This is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange :D

That seems similar to :  "Nothing in life is truly free"  ;)   :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:25 PM

FMA

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:56 AM

A system like that is built into the forum, and it's called Karma.  Basically if you like someone, or found a post helpful you can click the thumbs up button and they get a karma point.  Or if someone says or does something you don't like you click on the thumbs down, amusingly called a "smite" and they lose a point.

It didn't work in the same way that eBay feedback doesn't work.  People are either afraid to smite someone else in the off chance that the other person will smite them back, or they read too much into them by thinking the other person has 5,000 "good" points but three bad ones so there must be something wrong with them.  This is why eBay only rates people for the last six months or so, because some people avoided dealing with people who "only" had 99.9% feedback.  People always fixated on the negative.

Also, people would get supremely offended by any smites they got, and ones that others had.  Bob (J-Sews) got one smite and it almost started a witch hunt for who did it.  Bob was pretty well indifferent to it, but others were really offended that someone would take a shot at Bob, who really isn't as bad as he's made out to be!  :P  I won't tell you what happened when I got smited (smote?), and while I didn't much care either, others took great offense to the Grand Poobah getting a black eye.  That doesn't seem fair to me.

All in all we scrapped it for pretty well the same reason we don't allow political or religious discussions here- it just makes people draw meaningless lines around themselves and separates them from everyone else.

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:53 AM
For the purpose of selling in the trades forums really all someone needs to know is how many successful transactions that person has been a part of.  But... if you're a regular you pretty well know who's good to deal with anyhow.. so...  :shrug:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Cogito

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 02:56:06 AM
I guess you could force everyone to do their transactions on ebay instead.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 09:48:21 AM
I like the way we do it now. We are a forum first. The selling and trading is a added bonus. This place is not like other forums or auction type sites. Eveyone is cool and rarely there are bad deals or transactions, and if there is, the members here seem to have no problem warning or telling everybody here and are dealt with. The thing is, when you screw somebody over here, its not just smurfing them over, it smurfing over a family member. A little more personal. I has been messed over before and I got angry, but if I got messed over here, I would be looking for blood.

that's us mobile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:13:06 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 10:35:31 PM
I like the way we do it now. We are a forum first. The selling and trading is a added bonus. This place is not like other forums or auction type sites. Eveyone is cool and rarely there are bad deals or transactions, and if there is, the members here seem to have no problem warning or telling everybody here and are dealt with. The thing is, when you screw somebody over here, its not just smurfing them over, it smurfing over a family member. A little more personal. I has been messed over before and I got angry, but if I got messed over here, I would be looking for blood.

that's us mobile

This.

We're a forum, we talk about tools (and stuff :P ) and well, some trade between friends happens, that's okay :P . But I don't think it should get more complicated or regulated than it is, certainly as, the more "regulating" the forum staff does, the quicker someone who did get smurfed here will point and blame forum staff. I don't think we want that.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%