Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about the Bear Grylls multitool

Offline mikekoz

Question about the Bear Grylls multitool
on: March 02, 2014, 03:43:07 AM
   I was looking for this at Walmart this weekend, but no luck. I am actually looking for the Multitool that comes in one of the survival kits: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056C6XIA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01KP4MYTRCQ6J9TB81FE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I really have no interest in the fire starter, the flashlight seems OK and the sheath does not look too appealing. The big question is then, is the kit worth buying just to get the multitool? I do not want the BG Ultimate multitool as it looks like a Suspension with different handles. Does anybody own one of these that can give me an opinion? Thanks to anybody in advance!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Question about the Bear Grylls multitool
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:53:44 AM
Actually the tool in the link you have there is a modified Strata, not a Suspension.  There are two BG Ultimate tools (that I know of).  The Suspension isn't even in the same league as the Strata.  I don't have the BG one, but my standard Strata sees a fair bit of use.  It's a very underrated tool IMO.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:55:26 AM
Yes and no. The tool is basically a Gerber Strata with improved locking sliders that are a lot easier to use. The sheath may look cheesy, but everything fits nice and compact. You will find that the two additions do not take up much room. So consider the fire starter as a bonus there if and when you need it. The flashlight is ok. The sheath allows you to use the light while holstered due to a cutout in the sheath. Everything is well thought out.

I am not a big fan of the Strata...but don't let that dissuade you. It is a good multi-tool by all accounts. This BG version does improve on the Strata.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:45:58 PM
Having had a good look at one I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  The sheath is much less bulky than it appears to be online, positively slim I'd say. 

Here's what 50ft-Trad (Al) thought of it: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=38925.0
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 05:09:53 PM
   Thanks everybody! It looks like I would be better off just getting the Strata even though it sells for about the same price as this kit. The Strata looks like it has a better wire cutter (Replaceable). Will have to give this one some thought!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:43:22 PM
I have this kit, and like it. It's the one that gets kept in my car get-home-bag (along with a victorinox Rucksack).

It's not the best MT out there by miles, but there's also nothing particularly wrong with it. The grip is good, both closed and open as pliers. The slide locks on mine are a little hard to use, but not terrible. Everything functions.

While other folks may not like the flashlight, I find it about the perfect mix of brightness and run time for up-close tasks (fixing a tire, or messing around in camp, that kind of thing).

The sheath is really pretty nice. It's light, well designed, and seems at least as rugged as most leather or nylon ones, although time will tell.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:03:32 PM
If I do come across one of these kits at a reasonable price, I do plan on swapping the plier heads between the BG and my regular Strata.  However, I doubt I'll find one for 50% off like the Strata was......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%