Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK stabbing

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
SAK stabbing
on: March 08, 2014, 09:31:56 PM
Was just watching a episode of Cops and they arrive on the scene of a stabbing. Talked to a few people and whatnot. They find the knife used and its a knockoff SAK with wood scales that say "Cody" on them. The guy who got stabbed was fine. He got stabbed in the chest, but the wound was so shallow he was alright. Guess the guy that got stabbed is lucky it was a knockoff as the blade was probably dull as could be. I was pretty surprised to see a SAK used as I assume the blade would fold right up on you. I would obviously never stab anyone, (unless it was a last resort) but if all I had was a non locking SAK blade I would probably go for slicing strikes not stabbing. Just saying.  :whistle:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: SAK stabbing
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:17 PM
I bet it was just what was handy at the time. A lot like a kitchen knife.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:59:07 PM
I bet it was just what was handy at the time. A lot like a kitchen knife.

that's us mobile

Most definitely. I completely agree. I would still go for a slicing strike instead of a stabbing strike with a non locking SAK though. Plus the SAK blade shape doesn't seem to ideal for stabbing.
I'm the milk man!

Offline MountainKing

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:11:36 PM
What is an ideal tool then? Lol

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:38:12 PM

Well probably something in the fixed blade fashion would be a good start, but in the folder realm of things the Spyderco Endura 4 FFG would probably be very effective as a stabbing weapon given the blade shape and grind. Not to mention that Spyderco is known for making defensive knives.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:02:30 AM

Cold Steel Voyager line the biggest one is a foot long and they're folders. Darn things practically a sword at that length.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:34:45 AM

Cold steel Ti lite would make a great stabbing blade. 
Odd the sak knock off didn't fold up. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 05:53:03 AM

Cold steel Ti lite would make a great stabbing blade. 
Odd the sak knock off didn't fold up.

For all I know it could of and that's why the guy didn't get stabbed worse. They got there after it happened so i'm sure its a possibility.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 06:58:56 AM

Compared to a Swiss Army style tool? A sharp pencil. Or, if you're feeling stylish, a swordfish.

Bonus points if you use a narwhal.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:50 AM

Compared to a Swiss Army style tool? A sharp pencil. Or, if you're feeling stylish, a swordfish.

Bonus points if you use a narwhal.

:rofl:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Offline MountainKing

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:05 AM
More seriously though, I meant what multi tool with a knife would work better? A plain edge knife or a serrated one?? Carrying a knife is not so legal I think and I think it might be dangerous anyways.
I am more thinking in the line of defending against dog attacks. Owners here do not have any civism, courteousness, do not respect the law and have their dogs stray. There have been many reported cases of dog attacks especially rottweilers.

Against an aggressive dog, my first and best line of defence would of course to try to keep it at bay by any means, but if I happen to get bitten, charged upon or my family members attacked,  you know what you got to do!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 11:07:21 AM
More seriously though, I meant what multi tool with a knife would work better? A plain edge knife or a serrated one?? Carrying a knife is not so legal I think and I think it might be dangerous anyways.
I am more thinking in the line of defending against dog attacks. Owners here do not have any civism, courteousness, do not respect the law and have their dogs stray. There have been many reported cases of dog attacks especially rottweilers.

Against an aggressive dog, my first and best line of defence would of course to try to keep it at bay by any means, but if I happen to get bitten, charged upon or my family members attacked,  you know what you got to do!

Well first off if your worried about the dog situation which seems like you are than I would first suggest bear spray. Basically pepperspray for bears. If thats not availible to you than buy a big folding knife or a fixedblade depending on your local laws. If it must be a multitool which is a less than ideal option, but better than nothing I would say the Wave or Surge's main plaine edge blade would make a adequite stabbing weapon in that situation. Of course if you can carry a gun than that would be the best option.

If you carried bear spray I would still carry a knife as the bear spray will not kill them if necessary. Hate to think about having to do that, but if a dog was attacking a child or anyone who could not defend themselves than you have to make a decision very quickly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:11:50 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

Offline MountainKing

Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 12:19:13 PM
Knives, guns and sprays are illegal to carry around with sprays and guns not available in the commerce as they are plain illegal :)

As I said before, I would prefer to just stay away from harm's way but since the thread popped, I imgine the MT can be a real last line of self defense which is why I was wondering serrated knife or plain one...

Seems it should be the plain one.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 02:27:30 PM
You can try a compressed air type horn that are loud as heck, those can't be illegal i'd imagine?  A collapsable steel baton or better yet one that is also a stun type baton.   I'll tell you though if the dog is determined then really only a volt from a stun baton or lethal force will do.  A determined dog needs to be met with brute force especially certain breeds.   I've seen where even pepper spray didn't faze certain breeds and you mention rottweilers so you are going to need something serious.   As far as a MT with a blade I'd say the Surge is pretty large and locking but I'd try to keep distance as you say as my first line of defense.  I'd go with stun gun personally and go to your city and lodge complaints regularly.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Philby

Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 03:09:54 PM

A large sharp knife, try and get its carotid artery in its neck under the ears.  That's what he's going for on your neck with his teeth.
P.s I actually quite like dogs, but any that get close to my young daughter while out playing receive a good kick on the nose. All dogs should be on a lead whilst out in public!

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 09:22:59 PM
Regarding MountainKing's question about dog defense, with all the legal restrictions on weapons where you are, I would suggest carrying something with a legitimate use, such as a baseball bat or a shovel. I would rather face down a dog with a bat than a knife anyway, and if the authorities stop you, carrying such things can easily be explained. Obviously this works better for your evening walks than your every day carry. You could try a walking stick I suppose, if you could find one heavy enough and you don't mind looking like some kind of 19th century dandy.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:50 PM
I keep a can of wasp /bee spray around for more than just bees.

Defend the Hive!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:31 PM
Regarding MountainKing's question about dog defense, with all the legal restrictions on weapons where you are, I would suggest carrying something with a legitimate use, such as a baseball bat or a shovel. I would rather face down a dog with a bat than a knife anyway, and if the authorities stop you, carrying such things can easily be explained. Obviously this works better for your evening walks than your every day carry. You could try a walking stick I suppose, if you could find one heavy enough and you don't mind looking like some kind of 19th century dandy.

While I agree a blunt object with reach is a good defensive weapon against a dog I personally would not walk around with a bat or shovel. Its to much attention from people or the police. I could possibly be arrested for something like that in my area and would most definitely be hassled by the police. A walking stick is a good option but lacks the effectiveness of a baseball ball so a good folding knife would definitely be there as a backup. Plus if a dog latches onto your arm before you can ward it off it would be mighty hard to deliver a effective strike with a long object like that. Just my opinion though.   
I'm the milk man!

Offline MountainKing

Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:59 AM
My point is not to kill an animal or hurt it unless it is menacing to hurt me/family. I mean any covenient (readily available) defensive tool which can most probably be your EDC MT. As I said, up to now, I have been able to fend off potential attacks by standing my ground and getting some rocks/objects nearby.
It is nice to know there is something you can rely, however, insignificant it might be, when things get real ugly.
I am aware if I get attacked, I will sustain bites/wounds but a knife or lack of one can basically mean that I get slight wounds or heavy bites everywhere which can be potentially lethal.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 12:38:56 PM

Sadly it is a Screwdriver, hardest to treat as well....

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 06:24:14 PM
If you want a nonlethal item that doesn't draw attention, carry a bicycle chain with a lock attached at the end.  Won't necessarily kill anything, but it will lay a dent in anything you hit. Very effective against dogs.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 06:29:45 PM
Was just watching a episode of Cops and they arrive on the scene of a stabbing. Talked to a few people and whatnot. They find the knife used and its a knockoff SAK with wood scales that say "Cody" on them. The guy who got stabbed was fine. He got stabbed in the chest, but the wound was so shallow he was alright. Guess the guy that got stabbed is lucky it was a knockoff as the blade was probably dull as could be. I was pretty surprised to see a SAK used as I assume the blade would fold right up on you. I would obviously never stab anyone, (unless it was a last resort) but if all I had was a non locking SAK blade I would probably go for slicing strikes not stabbing. Just saying.  :whistle:

I'm thinking we need to send this guy a decent knife and let Darwinism take its course.  :D
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 11:45:12 AM
ouch! harsh  :D :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 11:57:51 AM
A little bleach in the gene pool......

that's us mobile