Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NutSAK's carry stuff

NutSAK · 101 · 10541

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: NutSAK's carry stuff
Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 02:59:58 PM
So, this might be a dumb question... But why not a thin SAK instead of the traditional slippies? I mean, your username has to be nutSAK for a reason? :)

;)

The purpose here is to experiment with not carrying any multitools (SAK or otherwise) on my person, except for the Rambler on my keychain.  It's giving me an opportunity to carry some nice traditional slippies that I rarely get to carry.  I'm only carrying out the experiment at the office for a couple of weeks--at home and elsewhere I'm still carrying my usual SAKs and multis.

So far, I've not had to "bail out" yet, and have accomplished the tasks at hand with what I'm carrying.  Those tasks have consisted mainly of food prep for lunch with the slipjoint (peeling oranges, slicing cheese, etc.) and turning phillips screws and cutting small zip ties with the Rambler.

The daily picture updates are only showing the part of my carry that is changing day-to-day.  The first post of the thread shows the items I carry daily.
- Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 03:07:50 PM
And so far, I like it.
Nice pic btw.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 03:08:24 PM
Lovely items, I really enjoy seeing what you are bringing with you and thanks for including your watches.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 03:23:40 PM
 :tu:  Thanks for your support!  I must admit that making the daily selection is a nice break from the mundane morning routine.  Posting the pictures here and discussing kinda takes me back to "show and tell" from my grade school days!  :D 
- Terry

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 03:42:20 PM
So, this might be a dumb question... But why not a thin SAK instead of the traditional slippies? I mean, your username has to be nutSAK for a reason? :)

;)

The purpose here is to experiment with not carrying any multitools (SAK or otherwise) on my person, except for the Rambler on my keychain.  It's giving me an opportunity to carry some nice traditional slippies that I rarely get to carry.  I'm only carrying out the experiment at the office for a couple of weeks--at home and elsewhere I'm still carrying my usual SAKs and multis.

So far, I've not had to "bail out" yet, and have accomplished the tasks at hand with what I'm carrying.  Those tasks have consisted mainly of food prep for lunch with the slipjoint (peeling oranges, slicing cheese, etc.) and turning phillips screws and cutting small zip ties with the Rambler.

The daily picture updates are only showing the part of my carry that is changing day-to-day.  The first post of the thread shows the items I carry daily.

That makes sense :)

Just wanted to add, it's not that I don't enjoy the slippies, of course, some good looking knives have past here  :tu: :tu:  I was just wondering :P
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 05:17:57 PM
Those Peak lights look great but the brass ones are :drool: :gimme:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 07:44:34 PM
Yeah, I've been drooling over your PEAK collection for a while now. :2tu:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 08:10:42 PM
Those Peak lights look great but the brass ones are :drool: :gimme:

Yeah, I've been drooling over your PEAK collection for a while now. :2tu:

Cheers  :cheers:  I'm glad you like them.  :D

I've heard some flashaholics say Peaks are ugly.  I personally think they're beautiful in the simplicity of their design, and the machine work is top notch.  The designs are mostly "form follows function", much like ARC and CMG.

Here are some older Peak topics to browse though if you're interested.  Unfortunately, I don't have many of the lights in the pictures anymore...  Technology moves forward. 

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1009.msg11726.html#msg11726

There is some good discussion here, but it's a lot to read.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,24261.0.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:18:46 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 02:55:55 PM

Fenix L1P
Casio AMW-340
Canal Street Cannitler, D2 steel, amber carved stag bone
- Terry

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:45 PM
Is the Casio an updated version of the AMW-320?
I do like your setups really well until now - Keep them coming!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:31 PM

I believe the AMW-320 and AMW-340 are the same watch, just with different dial markers.

More to come!
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 05:30:05 PM

I believe the AMW-320 and AMW-340 are the same watch, just with different dial markers.

More to come!

After looking into it further, it appears that the AMW320 and AMW340 are different in many ways.  The AMW340 has a smaller "unisex"-type case.  Also, it has three buttons, where the 320 has two, but I'm not sure why.

I mainly wear this watch when I'm piloting helicopters, and keep the digital screen set to ZULU time, while the hands are set to local time.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 02:43:42 PM
I didn't leave myself much time to think about carry this morning.  This is what I grabbed.

Peak LED Solutions Pacific
Case Mini Trapper pattern 6207W SS (2007)
- Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 02:49:14 PM
That's a sweet Case.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 03:22:37 PM
That's a sweet Case.

that's us mobile

Thanks.  I've never been a fan of the long spey blades on trapper patterned knives.  I find the wharncliffe much more handy for my uses.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 02:26:04 PM
I broke the rules today.  >:D

HDS Systems EDC Tactical 170 w/Modoo clip
Zed M.T.O Z.A1.07 w/Maratac MI6 NATO band
2005 Victorinox/Knifecoop Oldschool Soldier, nickel silver frame & bolsters, stag scales
leather coin pouch
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:27:38 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 03:55:05 PM
I always love Knifecoop's mods. It really gives those saks an old school look and feel.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 04:12:38 PM
I'm not much of a slip joint knife guy but DAYUUUM that Case Mini Trapper yesterday was flipping sweet.  I am a fan of wharncliffe blades as well so that knife really caught my eye.

Today's knife carry is gorgeous, I dig the light too, I find I really need a light that has a really low low (fire fly) then a level at or around 20 or so then a high.  Your lights levels are very close to ideal.  I saw the EDC Executive 140 and find this to be almost perfect but we all know perfect is relative.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 04:21:15 PM
I'm not much of a slip joint knife guy but DAYUUUM that Case Mini Trapper yesterday was flipping sweet.  I am a fan of wharncliffe blades as well so that knife really caught my eye.

Today's knife carry is gorgeous, I dig the light too, I find I really need a light that has a really low low (fire fly) then a level at or around 20 or so then a high.  Your lights levels are very close to ideal.  I saw the EDC Executive 140 and find this to be almost perfect but we all know perfect is relative.   

Yeah, the beauty of the HDS lights is that you have 4 available "levels" accessible at any time, and you can customize each of them.  When customizing, you can choose from about 25 different lumen outputs (a fraction of 1 lumen, up to max), or you can choose tactical strobe, etc.  I have mine set at 1 lumen, 30 lumens, 170 lumens (max), and tactical strobe.  The customizing options for how you want the UI to operate are pretty amazing too (level memory, locator strobe, momentary from off, etc...)

The UI of the HDS is as perfect as it gets for me, and the Zebralight's UI is a close second.  I highly recommend looking at the Zebralight, especially if you like ultra low lumen options.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:23:08 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 04:30:24 PM

Yeah, the beauty of the HDS lights is that you have 4 available "levels" accessible at any time, and you can customize each of them.  When customizing, you can choose from about 25 different lumen outputs (a fraction of 1 lumen, up to max), or you can choose tactical strobe, etc.  I have mine set at 1 lumen, 30 lumens, 170 lumens (max), and tactical strobe.  The customizing options for how you want the UI to operate are pretty amazing too (level memory, locator strobe, momentary from off, etc...)

The UI of the HDS is as perfect as it gets for me, and the Zebralight's UI is a close second.  I highly recommend looking at the Zebralight, especially if you like ultra low lumen options.

I have looked a the ZLSC52 over and over again I dont know why I havent puled the trigger.  Ok well I kinda do and I know once I enter the awesome light world my wallet will hate me  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 04:42:07 PM
The trick is to get the "right" flashlight the first time.  Tough trick though!  ;)

I could easily get along with an SC52 most of the time, but need a tactical light to use with a handgun also, so I have the HDS.  I also need a lantern for camping, a headlamp for close-up hands-free work, a bright search light, and...  oh bloody hell!   :D

Your fears are well-founded.  I keep a flashlight inventory spreadsheet and my current count is 45, and I have sold over 100 in the 10 or so years I've been "collecting".  I will admit that I have a problem, but I do OK if I stay well away from CPF.  I just bought a ZL SC600 II L2, and it's the first light I've bought in over 2 years.  Now I will go back into hiding for a while. 

:facepalm:
- Terry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 04:54:10 PM
When I first looked into lights a search led me to CPF and BLF.  WOW is all I have to say.  I'm glad I'm mostly a MT enthusiast but my flashlight cravings are getting stronger as well as my fixed blade cravings  :facepalm:.  I am one click away from several "fixes" and after paying off my truck a year early I'm beginning to "justify" my urges  :rofl:.  Poppa needs some gear  :ahhh 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 09:26:27 PM
The only thing that kept me from buying a HDS for a long time have been the crazy import charges that I'd get hit with. Paying $100+ and shipping for one of the Rotary ones and then paying 40% extra customs fees and VAT would make me :cry:

And I understand why you keep away from CPF. I've been avoiding it for years and still managed to accumulate some 30-ish flashlights in various sizes. :facepalm: I avoid making a list or gathering them in one place for for the same reason I don't do it with multies or SAKs. It doesn't seem so crazy when they are scattered about. Seeing them all in one place would be scary. :P

Thanks for the links for that Peak info, I've read it multiple times before and knew before I clicked the links what was hiding there but it's always nice to freshen up on some good information.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:43 PM
Yes, I can certainly understand your hesitance to buy an HDS.  It took many years to decide that it was worth the price paid here in the US, and of course I didn't have to pay all the shipping/VAT/customs overhead.

I stick to AA/14500/18650 cells mostly across the board now, with the only exception being the HDS.  It is the only CR123/16340 light that I like enough and use regularly enough to keep buying those cells.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 03:52:38 PM
I'm back to carrying tools at the office this week.

Skinth S-Shield
Zebralight SC600 MkII L2
Peak Eiger #4 power (in Skinth)
Vic Cybertool 34 (in Skinth)
LM Mini Tool
leather coin pouch
- Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 03:54:26 PM
Very nice set you have going on there.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:55 PM
It's been a couple of weeks since I've updated, but not much has changed...  This is what I've been carrying to work every day for some time, it is has served me well.  I was sure glad I had my Cybertool on me today as I disassembled a printer to relieve a jam.

Skinth S-Shield
Peak LED Solutions Pacific brass, #4 power
Peak LED Solutions Eiger #4 power (in Skinth)
Vic Cybertool 34 (in Skinth)
leather coin pouch
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 10:32:27 PM
In addition to what I'm carrying on my person, these are most of the items that I carry daily in my laptop case (besides the laptop and various cables).

S&W 442 Airweight w/Robert Mika custom pocket holster
waterproof matchcase w/2xCR123 cells
Ravpower USB battery charger/booster (10400mAh)
Yuin PK2 earbuds
LM ST200 (BO)
Vic CT41
Logitech Nano V450 mouse
Pentel P205 pencil
Retro 1951 Tornado rollerball
Sharpie (not pictured)
Seagate FreeAgent Go (640GB)
Samsung 1.2A USB charger
Cottonpicker's smallest Li-Ion charger (140/320/720mA)
Sanyo NC-MDU01 Ni-MH USB charger
Sandisk SDDR-113 SD card reader (not pictured)
Quark Tactical NW (XP-E) with the following bodies loaded with cells:
  2xAA (w/Eneloop)
  1xCR123
  1x18650
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:21:47 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:30 PM
I'm liking the 4Sevens Quark Lego :tu: plenty of options there ;)
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:18 PM
I'm liking the 4Sevens Quark Lego :tu: plenty of options there ;)

Yeah, that is what I love about the Quarks.  I don't know of any other manufacturer that offers as many great lego options and accessories.  If I forget to carry a light for some reason, I can just screw in the CR123 body, drop it in my pocket and Bob's your uncle.

It is a shame that the 18650 body was only offered for a very limited run, however.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD