Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NutSAK's carry stuff

NutSAK · 101 · 10673

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Re: NutSAK's carry stuff
Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:25 AM
I'm liking the 4Sevens Quark Lego :tu: plenty of options there ;)

Yeah, that is what I love about the Quarks.  I don't know of any other manufacturer that offers as many great lego options and accessories.  If I forget to carry a light for some reason, I can just screw in the CR123 body, drop it in my pocket and Bob's your uncle.

It is a shame that the 18650 body was only offered for a very limited run, however.

The 4Sevens range has changed a lot since they first began, I like the older stuff especially when they offered lego style lights at a great price...good catch on the 18650 body :tu:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 12:56:10 AM
I've not really kept up much with the new lines the 4Sevens offers, but I was under the impression that the newest Quark Tactical and Pro lines were basically the same lights as these originals I have, just with upgraded emitters. 

Is that not the case?
- Terry

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:21 AM
I've not really kept up much with the new lines the 4Sevens offers, but I was under the impression that the newest Quark Tactical and Pro lines were basically the same lights as these originals I have, just with upgraded emitters. 

Is that not the case?

I'm not sure Man :think: but a quick look and I'm guessing you can still play lego with them...
The new Atom models don't look as good as the old MiNi's though ;)
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #63 on: May 13, 2014, 05:16:28 PM
Going light today...

- Terry

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #64 on: May 13, 2014, 08:12:05 PM
Going light today...

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice setup.  :tu:

I had the chance to play with the SC52 L2 and i'm really not liking the switch. I hate how it does not "click" anymore.  :(
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #65 on: May 13, 2014, 08:27:32 PM

I had the chance to play with the SC52 L2 and i'm really not liking the switch. I hate how it does not "click" anymore.  :(

Do you mean audibly?  Mine is nearly silent, but the feel is good.  I've not used an SC51, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
- Terry

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: May 13, 2014, 10:10:21 PM

Do you mean audibly?  Mine is nearly silent, but the feel is good.  I've not used an SC51, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

Audibly yes, but more importantly feeling the click when depressing the switch. On the SC52 L2 I tried out there was zero felt "click."

I have not used a SC51 either. I am comparing it to my SC52.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #67 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:13 PM
Mine definitely has a felt "click", and it's audible, but not as audible as my SC600 MkII L2.  I've read some complaints about the recent switches, but mine seems solid.

Evidently, they're inconsistent, and some are worse than others.  I certainly wouldn't want a "soft" switch.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:14:52 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: May 13, 2014, 11:05:04 PM
Mine definitely has a felt "click", and it's audible, but not as audible as my SC600 MkII L2.  I've read some complaints about the recent switches, but mine seems solid.

Evidently, they're not consistent, and some are worse than others.  I certainly wouldn't want a "soft" switch.

I guess my buddy got a "soft" switch.  :( He doesn't have any complaint's, but it bugs the crap out of me.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #69 on: May 29, 2014, 05:23:30 PM
- Terry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: May 30, 2014, 04:02:10 AM
As always great seletion of gear you carry.  It really looks well thought out and very capable for everyday and the unexpected.  I especially like  this

It's been a couple of weeks since I've updated, but not much has changed...  This is what I've been carrying to work every day for some time, it is has served me well.  I was sure glad I had my Cybertool on me today as I disassembled a printer to relieve a jam.

Skinth S-Shield
Peak LED Solutions Pacific brass, #4 power
Peak LED Solutions Eiger #4 power (in Skinth)
Vic Cybertool 34 (in Skinth)
leather coin pouch
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #71 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:54 AM

Going light today...

what are the tools in the SAK?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #72 on: May 30, 2014, 04:49:23 AM
It's just a good 'ol Farmer with hard anodized scales.  ;)

- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #73 on: May 30, 2014, 04:53:20 AM
As always great seletion of gear you carry.  It really looks well thought out and very capable for everyday and the unexpected.  I especially like  this

Thanks! I carry that CT31 more than just about any other SAK these days, and it just seems to have all the right tools for my day-to-day.  The little Eiger flashlight is used alot too.  With the floody optic it has, it's perfect for clipping to the bill of a cap for headlamp duty.
- Terry

Offline jag-engr

Reply #74 on: March 23, 2015, 11:20:27 PM
NutSAK,

I hate to necro-post like this, but it seems that I can't message you.

Where did you get the clip on the Eiger?  It looks like it might be the perfect size for my Preon ReVO!

I'm back to carrying tools at the office this week.

Skinth S-Shield
Zebralight SC600 MkII L2
Peak Eiger #4 power (in Skinth)
Vic Cybertool 34 (in Skinth)
LM Mini Tool
leather coin pouch

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #75 on: March 23, 2015, 11:30:06 PM
Hi, J.

You can send PMs from this point on. It's just an anti spammer feature we have. Members with under 5 posts can't send PMs.

As for the clips, if I remember correctly, they are just clips harvested from various pens.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #76 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:31 AM

As for the clips, if I remember correctly, they are just clips harvested from various pens.

Indeed.  The ones that come on the pen-shaped Nano-Oil micro lube containers are the ones I use most.  Years ago, Peak always included a very similar clip on all the AAA bodies.  It's a shame they no longer do.

I believe I recognize your user name from CPF, don't I jag-engr?  Good to see you here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:17:09 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:38 AM
Yup, and also a staff member on EDCF.

Do you still have that multiLED Matherhorn?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #78 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:18 AM
I still have the SS McKinley from page one of this thread.  I believe that's the only multi-LED Peak I've had for quite a few years.  Well, actually I have another multi-LED SS McKinley on a 2aa body.  It is one of the earlier ones with the individual machined holes for the LEDS.

My very first "real" LED flashlight was a brass Matterhorn high power, with single snow white LED.  I lost it on a trip to Atlanta to the Blade show years ago.  I believe that was 2006, about a year after I got involved with SOSAK.  I still miss it.  I still have an ARC AAA snow, but it just doesn't "do it for me" like that Peak did.

Those were the days of EDC discovery for me...so many good memories.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:18:39 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: March 24, 2015, 02:21:30 AM
I think J. has a 3 LED Matterhorn if I remember correctly.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #80 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:29 AM
Ah yes.  Wasn't sure who you were directing that comment to...
- Terry

Offline jag-engr

Reply #81 on: March 24, 2015, 04:35:13 PM
Come to think of it, I do have a Peak Matterhorn around somewhere.  I haven't seen that that light in a while - I wonder what I did with it...  ???

I am a member of several forums (BF, KF, USN, CPF, Spyderco), but I'm most active on EDCF - it combines all my EDC interests.

Offline jag-engr

Reply #82 on: March 24, 2015, 04:47:19 PM
Hi, J.

You can send PMs from this point on. It's just an anti spammer feature we have. Members with under 5 posts can't send PMs.
I've been a member here for a while, but I guess I don't post that much here.

I have never found any good pen or pencil clips that fit my flashlights correctly.  However, I really do wish that I could get the Faultless clips to bend wide enough for a flashlight...

The ones that come on the pen-shaped Nano-Oil micro lube containers are the ones I use most.
I have a pen-shaped container of silicone lube from Radio Shack.  I bet that clip would fit a AAA light.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #83 on: March 24, 2015, 04:54:27 PM
The ones that come on the pen-shaped Nano-Oil micro lube containers are the ones I use most.
I have a pen-shaped container of silicone lube from Radio Shack.  I bet that clip would fit a AAA light.

Yes, it will.  I have that same RS oiler, and I have the clip from it on one of my Eigers.  It's the same as the Nano-Oil ones, but I think it has a logo embossed in it.  The Nano-Oil ones are plain.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #84 on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:56 PM
Here's my office carry for the past few months:

Skinth M-Shield
  • CT 34
  • Eiger #4 medium
4Sevens QMiNi neutral w/Tec P7 suspension clip
Case/Tony Bose Swayback Jack in CV/Chestnut Bone (pattern TB62117 CV)
Dopp Front Pocket Getaway wallet
Vic Rambler
peanut lighter
- Terry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: March 24, 2015, 05:53:52 PM
Good to see you back posting your gear.  The M Skinth is a great size and packs a lot if need be. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: March 25, 2015, 01:06:10 AM
Come to think of it, I do have a Peak Matterhorn around somewhere.  I haven't seen that that light in a while - I wonder what I did with it...  ???

Maybe it's in some PSK box. :) I remember us having a discussion years ago about getting ultra long runtimes off of Matterhorns by dropping some QTC at the bottom of the battery tube.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:56 AM

Maybe it's in some PSK box. :) I remember us having a discussion years ago about getting ultra long runtimes off of Matterhorns by dropping some QTC at the bottom of the battery tube.

Enki, what is QTC please and how would it affect the runtime of a flashlight? Excuse the Flashlight-Noob Question, my biggest "mod" so far was dropping an LED replacement in various MAGlites...

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #88 on: March 26, 2015, 04:43:08 PM
QTC is Quantum Tunneling Composite.

It is a material that has nearly infinite resistance at a relaxed state, and decreased resistance, proportionally, the more it is compressed.  Putting a piece of QTC on a battery contact will allow for variable output in twisty-operated flashlights, or at least those that are "battery crushers".

Read more about QTC here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling_composite
- Terry

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: March 26, 2015, 07:35:27 PM
The newer Peak and the Quantum D2 use it to give you infinity many modes. So you can basically have the first low mode with the amount of light emitted by a firefly (actual one, not the mode called firefly :D ) that will last for ages. There is no mode spacing with such flashlights, they give the amount of light dependent on how hard you squeeze the QTC sponge like material. Therefore they work best in flashlights that we call battery crushers like Terry said. Those without a spring at the bottom of the battery tube. Think of it as a dimmer switch but for flashlights.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%