Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ultimate Slingshot Challenge Tool Design! :)

Cogito · 29 · 6148

us Offline Cogito

Ultimate Slingshot Challenge Tool Design! :)
on: March 23, 2014, 01:00:53 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve my multitool slingshot design for the 1 piece challenge tool?  Or does anyone have nice graphics editing abilities to make it look nicer.

I present to you the Hexy Beast  :rofl:

gb Offline Tofty

Re: Ultimate Slingshot Challenge Tool Design! :)
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 02:57:26 PM
I feel it could do with a bit more of a handle:

I'll do a CAD drawing of it in a bit, using correctly sized hexes, to show how it might look.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:35:36 PM
Metro might be able to help. Hes designed a few slingshots.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 06:08:48 PM

I got mine brewing. Just need to carve out some time.

There is always a way, hack on!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:32:09 PM

I got mine brewing. Just need to carve out some time.

There is always a way, hack on!

Oh whoops. I didn't notice there was a "challenge" going on with this I thought he was just making one for the heck of it. Guess the lack of sleep makes me loopy.
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 08:41:51 PM
That is an interesting looking ?coin? :rofl:

Well usually you would want your fork to be low and wide, rather than high and narrow.
I suggest you do not exceed the dimensions of a credit card ;)
Also consider using a single strand, instead of a fork (similar to the Philippine Pana), I'm also pretty sure Joerg Sprave did a single stranded slingshot with pellets.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:49:26 PM
I feel it could do with a bit more of a handle:

I'll do a CAD drawing of it in a bit, using correctly sized hexes, to show how it might look.

My thought was that a person could put their thumb and index finger through the two wrench opening holes on the sides to use as a grip in order to keep it compact.  Does the tool dimensions have to be the same as the coin dimensions or can we make it credit card sized like etherealicer suggested?

I don't have a pocketwrench but it's inside shape is what I would like to use for that fork area, I'm not sure how wide or narrow that might be, we might need to cut some from the top of it to make it work.

Also I can't find any pictures or links of a single stranded slingshot, can you link one for me etherealicer?

us Offline Cogito

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:58:31 PM
I spotted the dimensions for the water/laser cutting in the original thread :)  TBH I would prefer if this tool was allowed to be thicker.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:08 PM
Also I can't find any pictures or links of a single stranded slingshot, can you link one for me etherealicer?
Of course I can :P
Slingshot Channel, I'm pretty sure he shoots it in one of his videos...

Another youtube video by Gamekeeper John

us Offline Cogito

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:21:20 PM

That does look cool, but I don't know how it would fit into my design, do you have any ideas?

The other thing is it would prevent the tool from being worn like a necklace like how I have it now. With the elastic material being the thread that goes around your neck and the tool being the bling so to speak :)

us Offline Cogito

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 12:01:10 AM
The caplifter area doesn't seem very clear so I decided to put some pictures in of other people who used it to help clarify my intention.

I feel like it should still be functional even after making it much larger than those already in use in the pictures.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:11:33 AM
Also if it's easier there is a second option for the pocketwrench type opening.

The original design that I wanted is this type of opening:

However if it's easier to machine or might have some extra design benefit we can go asymmetrically and use one side as straight like in this generic design:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 09:06:49 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
I can see a penguin... Wait that is not a Rorschach test

That does look cool, but I don't know how it would fit into my design, do you have any ideas?

The other thing is it would prevent the tool from being worn like a necklace like how I have it now. With the elastic material being the thread that goes around your neck and the tool being the bling so to speak :)
Actually a single attachment point does not warrant a single rubber band. You can see that all with pellets ultimately split into two strands. You can also have two attachment points next to each other. alternatively you could have the end of the single band hooked to your handle and for shooting you would have to unhook it.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 11:06:52 AM

I can't see the penguin...  :facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:13 PM

Neither can I, but I can see Ganesha...

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Cogito

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 11:22:29 PM

8) 8)

I can see Ganesha, but I can't see the penguin.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 05:24:14 AM
Also if it's easier there is a second option for the pocketwrench type opening.

The original design that I wanted is this type of opening:
(Image removed from quote.)

However if it's easier to machine or might have some extra design benefit we can go asymmetrically and use one side as straight like in this generic design:

Interesting that when I did this design i expected the Pocket Wrench guys to use it, but it was Nite Ize who got inspired by it for their DoohicKey tool...  :o

us Offline Cogito

Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 07:08:30 AM
Etherealicer is there a benefit to switching to the single band method over what I have right now?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 11:46:39 AM
Etherealicer is there a benefit to switching to the single band method over what I have right now?
Nope its primarily a form factor and the question how big your "coin" is going to be. Basically, it gives you another option.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 01:45:57 PM

8) 8)

I can see Ganesha, but I can't see the penguin.

Maybe Ganesha ate it...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Cogito

Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 06:08:02 AM
Etherealicer do you mean that with your idea I could make it more compact?  Because compactness is very desirable to me for this multi-tool.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 02:45:32 PM
I've been thinking about this one for a couple of days now and i'm really struggling to put together a drawing of something that would be strong enough as a slingshot as well as having useable tools. I think the whole design needs a rethink, focusing on getting the slingshot design right first.
I like the credit card size idea as it gives a nice framework to work within. I did a search for credit card slingshot and found this: http://slingshotforum.com/topic/13267-credit-card-shooters/
I think the images in the first post are really quite interesting and may be a good basis for adding tools to.

The necklace idea worries me a little; i don't like the idea of having a lump of metal attached to myself with a very powerful elastic band. If it were to get caught on something it could be released back with enough force to cause harm.

I believe a 4mm thickness is more than suitable for this kind of slingshot, but the thickness could be allowed to increase beyond this, if the design warrants it. Waterjet cutting can after all go through more that 150mm of solid steel (that's 6 inches).

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 03:08:55 PM
Credit card shooters are awesome, i've made a few in the past.

So I suppose the contest isn't limited to 'coins' anymore.

Time to get cracking.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 03:51:07 PM
"SAK Slingshot:  Open the cap lifter and the can opener each half way.  Stretch a wide-style rubber band around them just above the base hooks and shoot BBs or small pebbles."
The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 03:54:14 PM
Or this (same book) -
"Will fire the mini-driver (point in the slot at the heel of the pliers and thumb on the plastic head) with high velocity and low accuracy."    Note safety gloves.  ;>)
crossbow.jpg
* crossbow.jpg (Filesize: 124.78 KB)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:57:41 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline Cogito

Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:01 PM
I've been thinking about this one for a couple of days now and i'm really struggling to put together a drawing of something that would be strong enough as a slingshot as well as having useable tools. I think the whole design needs a rethink, focusing on getting the slingshot design right first.
I like the credit card size idea as it gives a nice framework to work within. I did a search for credit card slingshot and found this: http://slingshotforum.com/topic/13267-credit-card-shooters/
I think the images in the first post are really quite interesting and may be a good basis for adding tools to.

The necklace idea worries me a little; i don't like the idea of having a lump of metal attached to myself with a very powerful elastic band. If it were to get caught on something it could be released back with enough force to cause harm.

I believe a 4mm thickness is more than suitable for this kind of slingshot, but the thickness could be allowed to increase beyond this, if the design warrants it. Waterjet cutting can after all go through more that 150mm of solid steel (that's 6 inches).

I'm not a slingshot expert, but I was under the impression that I had the basics for it down.  2 points for elastic attachment, the fork that it shoots through, and a gripping area.

I think any weakness of it can be overcome with thicker metal.  But what exactly do you feel is wrong with the design as it is right now?

edit: If it's the hex holes that you think are the weak point then we can use the slight indentations that they put in that credit card slingshot link.  And have just the regular 1/4 hex somewhere else on it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:23:45 PM by Cogito »

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 03:16:39 PM
Firstly i'm not sure which sized hexes you want on the sides. The large hexes that would be needed for use as finger holes, would be far too large to be useful on such a small tool (19mm or 3/4"), as about 5 times less torque could be applied than the usual torque setting for a 19mm hex headed screw, bolt, or nut (M12).
Also for an open spanner (wrench) to work, contact has to be made on two of the hexes' corners, that are opposite each other, through the centreline. Anything else will cause slippage and damage to the tool and the screw, bolt, or nut's hex corners. The picture below shows what i mean.

The blue circles show where tool contact should be made, when turning the tool clockwise. The red circle shows where it would be made with the current arrangement.

The larger red circles show where the tool would be weakest and in my opinion, these are too narrow to work. With an open hex wrench of half the size of the ones in place, the material thickness, where the large red circle is would still not be sufficient to stop the wrench from bending open, even if the tool was cut from 10mm steel. The central V slot would perform even worse under load.

Closed wrenches are much stronger than open ones and therefore the material around them can be much thinner. I am in no way worried about the strength of the 1/4" and 3/16" hex points, however i would say that having attachment nicks in the sides of the arms would also be a good idea, to allow a pre-assembled sling to just be slipped over the arms, rather than threaded through the holes and tied off every time.

I'm not an expert on slingshots either, but the people on the slingshot forum are, relatively and all the designs shown, including the one made of credit cards, had at least three points of contact for the hand (forefinger, middle finger and thumb), and most had more. I would say that this was the absolute minimum amount of grip required to operate a slingshot, even a low powered one.

As i said, i think you should start again, aiming for a fully functional slingshot design, then see how tools can be integrated into it.

Of course you don't have to listen to me and i could be wrong, but i am only trying to help make the underlying concepts of the design as good as they can be.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 01:00:28 AM
For the two middle red circles, when I put the note on the bottom I meant for the side line of the big hex (where the fingers would go) to be parallel to the pocket wrench opening, which would mean there is more material and there wouldn't be those awkward thin spots.  I unfortunately wasn't able to demonstrate it in ms paint so I added that note, which now that I look at was a bit unclear.

I also believe that if that top line of the hex is made parallel that it would resolve the blue area contact point problem.

For the bottom red circle I agree with you that there isn't enough material.  And the more I think about it, I feel like there should be a third contact point too.  I really like hexagons and if there is a third point added I would want it to be hexagonal in nature.  Just something for a third finger to grab.

To summarize I think that the 2 main problems that need to be addressed in this current design is making the bottom thicker and adding an extra spot for a third finger.

I definitely appreciate your help, you are the #1 contributor :)

I just don't want to consider making a new design yet until I know that this one isn't workable.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 11:28:15 PM
Hi Cogito, (a couldn't PM you, so....)
I'm currently writing up the challenge design voting thread.
Did you get a chance to update your design?
If possible, could you please write a short summary description of your final design and it's features, to be included in the voting thread, maximum 10 lines.
Cheers,
Peter

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%