Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kevlar Cord

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Kevlar Cord
on: March 25, 2014, 07:10:57 PM
After reading about the Seal Team Six Survival Kit, I was curious if Kevlar Cord was any good.

I didn't have any cordage with me, and decided to give this stuff a shot, so ordered a piece off of Amazon.

I haven't done much testing with it, but it's supposedly 200lb strength, and very heat resistant. I couldn't get a piece to snap from pulling it (using two MTs for handles so I didn't cut my hands).

As I don't intend to use it for long-duration projects, the potential degradation from exposure to UV is really not important to me. I also don't see a real need to cut out of flex cuffs with it. I found it interesting that it'd cut through paracord, and may attempt to see how it might work with friction fire starting.

Worst case, it's $15 wasted in a nifty piece of string. :D

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Re: Kevlar Cord
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:14:01 PM
I bought a big spool of Kevlar cord on the bay...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-1000ft-Kevlar-fiber-large-kite-line-string-200LB-/270846633137?pt=Outdoor_Toys_Structures_US&hash=item3f0fb7a4b1
It is super strong but not coated like the small spools I've seen on EDC/Survival sites.
Have you seen the Technora Cord? it has a 450lb breaking strain, Ru Titley over on British Blades used so to cut through quite a thick branch :o
I've seen last ditch kits in Go-Tube set up for neck carry using Technora with break away fasteners...

EDIT...Image added
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:16:50 PM by Dr Gonzo »
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:00 PM
It has it's place, but I don't keep any around.

Upside: Very strong for the diameter and fire and friction resistant.

Downside: Expensive, and it's often problematic because it's so much stronger than the material it's being used on so it cuts through the cloth under strain.

Honestly, for the money, I use Spiderwire, which is a a braided fishing line made of spectra fibers. Doesn't have quite the UV resistance, and it's not much more heat resistant than nylon, but I think on balance it works nearly as well for a third the cost. And I can get it at any big box store with a sporting goods department.

If you're looking for some, look for it as kite string, not as "survival thread" or that kind of thing. You'll save yourself enough to pay for shipping.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:01:39 AM
Technora is what I use on my winches for my 4x4's and is some amazing stuff. You should also check into Amsteel, it's used a lot in hammock camping and is quite amazing. You can get it as small as 7/64" with a 1600 lb breaking limit!

Edit:

You also might look into Dynaglide. That stuff has a 1000 lb limit and is 1.8mm in size.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:12:59 AM by dmanuel »

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:56:48 AM
Amsteel Blue isn't really a "keep a hank of it around for whatever" utility cord because of it's properties.  It's slippery and it doesn't like having it's fibers crushed, so it doesn't take too kindly to knots. Instead, it's made for splicing.  Amsteel is best used for very specific, intentional uses, like hammock suspensions.  I've got a couple 7/16" whoopie slings around here somewhere, and they work surprisingly well.  They also make great tow ropes and winch cables because they're lighter in weight and more flexible than steel. They make it in huge diameters for the marine industry.  It's as strong as steel, but it floats. It just isn't as versatile in an everyday situation as paracord.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:26:30 AM
Amsteel Blue isn't really a "keep a hank of it around for whatever" utility cord because of it's properties.  It's slippery and it doesn't like having it's fibers crushed, so it doesn't take too kindly to knots. Instead, it's made for splicing.  Amsteel is best used for very specific, intentional uses, like hammock suspensions.  I've got a couple 7/16" whoopie slings around here somewhere, and they work surprisingly well.  They also make great tow ropes and winch cables because they're lighter in weight and more flexible than steel. They make it in huge diameters for the marine industry.  It's as strong as steel, but it floats. It just isn't as versatile in an everyday situation as paracord.

:tu: Good point av8r1. I was just trying to throw some other slightly unusual items out there

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:02:48 AM
^^^

Who knew all this stuff existed  :think:.  I'm now off to utube to watch some vids on this interesting "cordage" "string" "rope" stuff. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:32:12 AM

:tu: Good point av8r1. I was just trying to throw some other slightly unusual items out there

One other thing I'd like to mention:  There is a difference between "Amsteel" and "Amsteel blue." They are different products.  Get on hammockforums.com and when they say "Amsteel" they mean "Amsteel blue."  I have no experience with plain amsteel, just the single-braid blue variety (which, confusingly, comes in several colors). There is a thin static (no stretch) rope that I think is made of dyneema or spectra or something wrapped in a nylon sheath for abrasion resistance and enough friction for knots.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 08:20:28 AM
I'm surprised I found this thread.

I have 4" Amsteel Blue for a tow strap. I keep it in the bed of my truck. The little black thing you see is a Playstation 2 Controller

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%