Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corwyn's challenge coin and tool design submissions

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Corwyn's challenge coin and tool design submissions
on: March 25, 2014, 10:25:56 PM
Played around and here's what I Frankenstein-ed.

Hope at least someone likes it. Definately had fun making it:

THE COIN:

Face 1:
  • Plures in unam - Many in one (in piglatin)
  • Semper paratus - Always prepared
  • Sexy Old English Text font
  • Foldout of SAK tools (shamelessly stolen from a Wenger catalogue - a decent designer can replace)
  • A Tritium core embedded such as this round thingie: http://www.imagometrics.com/images/11.04/glwrngs_1.jpg - If radioactivity/technical concerns, can be replaced with regular glowy paint-thingie - StayGlo style

Face 2:
  • Multitool logo (YEEY!)
  • Leatherman graph edited off the web
  • SAK graph shamelessly stolen from web - decent designer can redo
  • I know EDC did something similar, but who cares, this is what we're about... nothing is completely new in the world - if one country has an eagle on a coin, noone else can?
  • 2014 in sexy Rosewood font, fitting our logo
  • some filler squiddly things made to the best of my (seriously lacking) skills

THE TOOL (technically also a coin)

Tried to make it graphically similar to the coin (so they make a pair after I win both contests of course :P )

Face 1:
  • Plures in unam - Many in one (in piglatin)
  • Semper paratus - Always prepared
  • Sexy Old English Text font

Face 2:
  • Multitool logo (YEEY!)
  • Leatherman graph edited off the web
  • SAK graph shamelessly stolen from web - decent designer can redo
  • 2014 in sexy Rosewood font, fitting our logo

Tool details (7 in total): (sorry for the fine print, Corel decided to crick up on me and couldn't save the HD version :ahhh)

• Saw blade - definately not going to work as a proper saw, more of a serrated rescue blade (or for cutting your fingers and pants zipper)
  • Slingshot - shamelessly stolen the idea from Cogito, but hey 2 tiny holes and got a new function
  • Blade - just a sharpened edge on one side... had a similar pencil sharpener years ago and it worked great
  • Wrenches (3) - sizes were originally accurate, but when resizing to 47 mm they might have skewed. A skilled designer can maybe shove more in
  • Guard - having two sharp things dangling close to your private parts is not smart so I thought of a sliding guard (made of metal or plastic), it will slide on the raised edge circle. When rotated up it will serve as guard for blade and saw as well as a keyring
  • Handle - not sure is feasible. It is designed to fold up and be part of the coin (keeping the coin shape and size). It would give extra leverage on the slingshot/wrenchy bit and even for the blades (incoming mini battleaxe image  :whistle:)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:05:40 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Corwyn's challenge coin and tool design submissions
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:14 PM
looks cool! not sure how easy it will be make, but i like it.
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:46:06 PM
Hi Corwyn, Nice work.

There not much that really needs to be said about the coin. The design and graphical layout is clear and even if some of the text and images may need altering (text wrapping Multitool.org), it's pretty much there.

For the tritium core, i found these: http://www.mbmicrotec.com/en/products/trigalight-watch-components/radial-marker. I was looking at the second one down (T4030). Easy enough to install, if perhaps a bit expensive and illumination may be a bit rubbish, but it's hard to compare radiation signatures with visible light output, so i can't be sure.

["I know EDC did something similar, but who cares, this is what we're about... nothing is completely new in the world - if one country has an eagle on a coin, noone else can?"]
I wouldn't say that your design is that similar to the EDCforum one. I made a comment to Sweety-Sama because of the four segments thing and even then, since most of the tools would have been different between the two designs, it wouldn't have been a problem, i just thought it should have been pointed out.

The tool design, certainly is interesting.
There are a few points to address since it is rather complex.
The spanner/wrench geometry is a bit wrong. It's the same issue i mentioned with Cogito's spanner/wrench.
For an open spanner to work, contact has to be made on two of the hexes' corners, that are opposite each other, through the centreline. Anything else will cause slippage and damage to the tool and the screw, bolt, or nut's hex corners. The picture below shows what i mean.

The blue circles show where tool contact should be made, when turning the tool clockwise. The red circle shows where it would be made with the current arrangement.

The black sketch shows a possible solution to the problem. It would also shorten how deep the hexes go into the tool, thickening the area behind them, giving the tool more strength, when using the spanners.

The sleeve is a good idea, but technically difficult. It would have to be a tight fit to stop it sliding open unintentionally. I would suggest that it should be made of 3D printed plastic as i can see no other way of manufacturing it and installing it onto the tool.

The handle is a neat idea for getting the most out of the tool, but attaching it to the tool, for use with driving the spanners and also from using the slingshot will be difficult as the force loadings are in very different directions. Also the sleeve will get in the way.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:32:50 PM
I like the idea of a hollow center with a tritium insert!  That would be pretty cool to see, and make it easy to find in the dark.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could put a blue one in one side and a red one in the opposite side (for example, actual colors may vary!) so you can use it to make decisions by flipping- Blue you get the Skeletool, Red you get the Octane sort of thing.

With a custom coin people can argue what is heads and what is tails, but it's hard to argue with a glowing sliver of radioactive color!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:30:07 PM
Really glad you guys like it.

@Tofty I trust your judgment

@Grant Great idea but I don't know if even the green layer is doable, due to fitting and width concerns.
With red/blue it would be 2 tritium discks and some material between them separate the colours. With what /i saw at the link above it would be too thick for a coin... unless someone here knows how to "mod" Tritium cells down to size...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%