Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Like adjustments? Here's a new idea for lugging your multi....FMA Multi Angle

nelson · 29 · 2865

gb Offline nelson

A few months back the SOG 'Blackie Collins' plastic sheath was mentioned and I set to thinking about hard plastic mag pouches to carry multitools, but didnt really get anywhere as the fits were not quite right.

Then I came across various versions of the 'FMA Multi-Angle Speed Pistol Magazine Pouch' that was fully adjustable for different shapes and after watching a lot of dull youtube videos about 'unboxing' them to get a feel for the size I sent off to the orient for one and it arrived today.

I didnt expect this to work, but a quick tweek of the adjusting screws and my original LMWave slotted smoothly into it and after adjusting it to sit low on my belt its quite comfortable, tho very hi-tek looking for a multi case. The tool is secure enough that after a quick twist, the holder can raise up onto the belt for horizontal or angled carry too..

My plan was to use the heavy centre screw to mount it on a roll cage to give me a quick multi for emergency use (in a case that looks like it should be part of a race car), but I'll  have a go at belt carrying it out of curiosity as it has surprised me in usability out of the box. more pics to follow..
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
That looks like a genius way to draw suspicion to yourself and get the cops on your arse!  :twak: :twak: :twak: :td:
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
That is cool idea and looks good too. I like it.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

Ok, let's say you were sporting that setup and at the same time wearing a sweatshirt that covers the waist just enough to reveal the gun sheath... A cop comes up, weapon drawn and says "GET YOUR HANDS UP" because it looks like you have a gun. Now what are you gonna do?
SAW

gb Offline nelson

Just pushing the boundaries dude, dont take it so hard. My wifes a cop, I'll see if she shoots me when I get home  ;)

That looks like a genius way to draw suspicion to yourself and get the cops on your arse!  :twak: :twak: :twak: :td:

us Offline sawman

Just pushing the boundaries dude, dont take it so hard. My wifes a cop, I'll see if she shoots me when I get home  ;)

I'm sorry for getting onto ya. I really try to be nice to people on the forum but that idea just hit a nerve with me.

:cheers:
SAW

gb Offline nelson

No sweat Sawman, there may be more expectation that a lump under clothing is a gun on your side of the Atlantic, so it wasnt even something I considered.

I'm sorry for getting onto ya. I really try to be nice to people on the forum but that idea just hit a nerve with me.

gb Offline nelson

A few more pics so you can get your head round how this works

Available in less 'tactical' colours too :)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
I like some of those colors.   

that's us mobile
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:39:17 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline nelson

I have a pile of Kydex waiting for some free time to make a multi sheath or two as well, which will have the same effect. I kinda like a tactical look to be honest and have seen someone with a Magpul iphone case in some sort of M4 mag pouch on the high street, but as almost no-one in Ireland knows WTF Magpul is, it just looks cool, not suicidal...but we're getting a bit off topic.

This bit of kit scales up to something a bit chunkier too, like this SOG Powr Assist and holds it really securely too..

Would the samething happen it was a leather sheath? They make mag pouches out of that stuff too. 

that's us mobile

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
No sweat Sawman, there may be more expectation that a lump under clothing is a gun on your side of the Atlantic, so it wasnt even something I considered.

No not really. If it was, cops would be telling a smurf ton of people around here to put there hands up because of a leatherman or a buck 110 sheaths or whatever because they look like mag sheaths. They make those out of leather too.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Btw, what do one of those cost you if you don't mind me asking?

that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline nelson

under $10

Btw, what do one of those cost you if you don't mind me asking?

that's us mobile

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks! I gonna check those out.

that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Ok, personal opinion time (Maybe you can agree or disprove after testing this sheath)

• I find it too bulky for belt carry. It looks like the sheath itself is mounted on an additional belt carrier, isn't this 1 cm broader than it could be? I don't like pouches sticking out too far from my belt/body.
  • How does it retent the tool? Solely with friction? This would both work against you when pushing it in and not give a very solid hold, imho.
  • There is a gap between the two plates, for example I can clearly see the gears of the SOG in one of the pictures. So there isn't any protection from water, oil, dirt I would expect from a sheath normally.
  • Sorry if this sound too negative. I'd say it is a good idea to fix a multitool to your tool chest (That's what you originally planned, or did I misunderstand you?). It sure looks sturdy enough, can be adjusted to different tools (!) and the size does not really matter then.

So I would not clip this to my belt, but it looks good for a tool chest!  :tu:

gb Offline nelson

I totally agree RT1969, we're just having fun with this, I'd get p;ssed off with it in short order catching on stuff, but you never know until you try and the clearance may suit some guys if they carry a lot of tool pouches with drills and other gear, which is maybe when I would try it out again.

It is a (very good) friction fit and as a mechanical tool holder for my original purpose, perfect. I will make a clamp for a 2" bar, ditch the belt loop and bolt this to it. It will allow me to fit it to a roll cage and have the tool at an angle that suits the tight confines of my Exige....and it'll look cool.

This is a terrific debate on this one, I'm getting no work done  :cheers:

Ok, personal opinion time (Maybe you can agree or disprove after testing this sheath)

• I find it too bulky for belt carry. It looks like the sheath itself is mounted on an additional belt carrier, isn't this 1 cm broader than it could be? I don't like pouches sticking out too far from my belt/body.
  • How does it retent the tool? Solely with friction? This would both work against you when pushing it in and not give a very solid hold, imho.
  • There is a gap between the two plates, for example I can clearly see the gears of the SOG in one of the pictures. So there isn't any protection from water, oil, dirt I would expect from a sheath normally.
  • Sorry if this sound too negative. I'd say it is a good idea to fix a multitool to your tool chest (That's what you originally planned, or did I misunderstand you?). It sure looks sturdy enough, can be adjusted to different tools (!) and the size does not really matter then.

So I would not clip this to my belt, but it looks good for a tool chest!  :tu:

gb Offline nelson

Who doesnt love pictures of MT stuff :)

The kit comes with a few little spacers and other parts, none of which I used when experimenting with it.

The front plate seems to serve no purpose other than advertising FMA even though its held on by nuts!

You can see better here how snug a fit it is for a multi...

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Yes, a pretty good discussion. I did not even see the protruding hex-bolt as I typed my post. On a belt sheath  :facepalm:

But as I said: This will be a good addition to a roll cage, will surely save you some time many times over!

And seeing your last pictures: I think it looks better without the 'advertising plate'. Good find!  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
It looks way better without the plate. I think would be sweet for a tool belt or to mount to things.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline nelson

Here it is split down a little more. I'm seeing a lot of mounting possibilities for this..

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Same here.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Pretty neat holster and I agree looks better without ad plate.  The other colors are nice and like my niteize case the belt clip does add bulk but offers a lot of security on my belt.  Neat idea and for the cost looks like it's fun to see what this sheaths potential is.
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline nelson

OK, I've spent the best part of today using this (albeit mainly around the office)

Its chunky, though this thing is light as feather. The sheath part is only 2.5" high and it secures so solidly to the belt it doesnt move around so you don't feel its intrusive.

It does stick out quite a bit (from the face of your belt to the face of the holder, excluding the nut, is 1.5". The belt loop part is 0.5" thick) its certainly not a Skinth! If there is a positive to that its that you dont feel it against you when you move, sit or bend over. The big nut sticking out of it (probably to allow tightening on the fly) would have to go as its annoying and not needed for MT carry.

Looks wise, no-one really passed any comment on it unless I brought it to their attention. Maybe as they're so used to guys running round here in workwear with stuff on their belts anyway.

An nice little experience is the solid mechanical thwack of the tool when sliding it in as opposed to a soft sheath and because there are no catches, flaps or buttons you do get used to instant, almost millisecond, access to the tool... I liked that a lot.

Will I use it tomorrow? ....hell no, but i might buy another and rotate it in when paintballing where it would clear my belt pouches and allow easy access to a tool with gloves on. I will also take some of the plus points on board, like speed and adjustability, when I have a go at some Kydex sheaths in the coming weeks.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Good for scratching furniture .

Chris

gb Offline nelson

Time to wrap this thread up with a final use of this gizmo.

For the money this a great techy looking tool holder to mount in the car. I found a tool for it...

Then I hunted round the interior of the car for somewhere to fit it that I could reach easily but not be impaled by it in a crash! Bolting it to the roll cage was the first option, until I found an unused seat belt mount beside the driver seat. After messing around with different bolts I felt the best way was to bond the back plate of the belt loop (which has 4 caged nyloc nuts inside it) to the flat steel plate as below...

To get some perspective, it's just below the door pin in this pic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gb Offline nelson

Ideally I want a tool similarly sized with good pliers and drivers, but with an easily accessible strap cutter for a crash, if anyone has recommendations.

I'll add some more pics when the glue dries tomorrow :)

gb Offline nelson

Done...
Nice secure, easy to grab and replace the tool in the track car :) though I'd get another for belt carry just for the craic ;)

...and to save you going to the first post, this is what we started with

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I like the look of that as a car mount Nelson.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Same here. I just like it period.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00