Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which blade-type?

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Which blade-type?
on: April 03, 2014, 12:06:04 AM
Haaaalp!!
Didn't want to run the risk of stealing the topic on another thread, so I made a new one instead.
I've found a site that sells DK street-legal folders (2HO, no lock, blade under 7 cm) for a reasonable price. However... I just saw that they have an older model on sale. The biggest difference, between the one I started with wanting, and the one on sale? The shape of the blade. The on sale is a tanto blade and, as far as I can tell, the other one is a droppoint blade.

Now, the big question: In your opinions, what are the pros and cons of each type of blade?
I know that the droppoint blade will fullfill my needs, but I like the look of the tanto blade, and the fact that you don't see it on that many knives here in Denmark.
And, of course, no matter which one I'll end up with, it's gonna be my EDC-knife, whether I'm working, cycling, shopping or at the movies.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Which blade-type?
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:23:29 AM

Tanto pros,  :think:  that I can think of...

Good for scraping paint etc off flat surfaces?
Easier to sharpen
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:28 AM
That is a hard one. Those are nice looking.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:25:53 AM
Usefull if you fight guys wearing armour for a living .

Chris

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 01:49:52 AM
Usefull if you fight guys wearing armour for a living .

Chris

This. It's the only thing that the Tanto Edge excels at. Punching through hardened material. That being said though, for once I actually prefer the looks of the tanto. I love orange knives, makes it easier to find it if you ever set it down or drop it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:55 AM
They are good for cutting leather and some leather work. They make good scrapping blades too.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 02:11:08 AM
I'm not a big fan of tantos, even though I own several.  I say the drop point.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 04:37:13 AM
I personally prefer a drop point to a tanto, although this may be nothing more than a function of what I am more accustomed to using.  Also, other aspects of the blade geometry play a more significant role in tip strength than point style.

For general EDC-type chores (cutting threads, opening packages and envelopes, etc.), I don't think you would see a significant performance difference between the two.  Therefore, I suggest you get whichever one you prefer, without worrying that one would outperform the other in this application in any meaningful way.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:45 AM
In general, the Tanto is a more speSmurfpillsed blade shape (as said above, also note that if it does not lock you should not be stabbing with it anyway) and the regular blade should be better for most everyday tasks (smoother profile; no need to think about the two different cutting angles).

However, the Tanto looks way cooler and assuming you will not be using the knife all the time it should serve you well.

So, get the Tanto as it will do what you want and make you happier with its unusual looks, as you have hinted in your first post.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 11:05:53 AM
Hi all.

Thanks for your replies - that, combined with a nights sleep, made it much easier for me to decide. :)
So far, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the one on sale, with the tanto-blade, as it's win/win; the knife is on sale and cool looking. I can always get the other one later.
Just gotta check if I spend too much money on presents for my girlfriend... :whistle:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 04:37:38 PM
I'd say get both. As for being THO... I think all my knives are OHO, even my SAKs...

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
I'd say get both. As for being THO... I think all my knives are OHO, even my SAKs...

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Well, part of the reason I like these blades, is their ability to be modified. I've read on a danish forum that it shouldn't take much time and training to make them possible to open with one hand, while still being constructed to be opened with both hands.

us Offline willc

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 03:04:45 PM
The tanto is a good choice, you should be happy with it.
I used I carry a tanto Blur all the time and I never once thought "one of my drop or spear points is needed here".
Most people don't like them cause how they look, I really don't like the look but they perform well.

Also sharpening a tanto is a bit easier for me, it just takes a little longer cause I do it one part at a time to keep it nice where the grinds meet.

Sent from my fancy work phone.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 05:57:57 PM
Willc, mind if I ask what you mainly use your knife for? Not that it would make much difference, since I ordered the one with the tanto blade earlier today, but I'm curious. :-)

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk

us Offline willc

Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:43:19 PM
At work I do a good bit of mesh netting, heavy plastic, zip ties and rope.
The tanto is especially good when doing a long rip say over 20', I can keep the cut pretty straight.
Off work the tanto excels at opening packages like the clamshell plastic.
It is a good blade shape but the image associated with it can be a bit negative.
Don't let that deter you, keep it sharp and it will serve you well.

Sent from my fancy work phone.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 06:48:47 PM
Now I'm looking even more forward to getting it. :-D

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 09:07:27 PM
I have to say, you made good decision. I have only one tanto blade so far. I like its blade, and its chisel kind of tip. You get quite different type cutting tool with this kind blade. Tip is more harder, than a normal spearpoint blade. And it is way more cooler looking...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%