Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I chose a Cybertool 41 over a Swisschamp .

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Why I chose a Cybertool 41 over a Swisschamp .
on: April 03, 2014, 05:26:13 PM
I'm not dissing Swisschamps , I've owned several over the years .

I wanted a better loadout than my Handyman , I already EDC a B&L 3x and 10x magnifier . I like the extra reach on the Cybertool driver , plus the availability of more 4mm bits . I have little/no use for the fishscaler . Further , the XLT is too expensive .

Chris

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Why I chose a Cybertool 41 over a Swisschamp .
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 05:32:41 PM
You can't go wrong with a CT41.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:02:12 PM
That's one thing I find lacking with the Cybertools. The lack of bits. Wish they made an adapter to accept standard 1/4 bits.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:13:01 PM
There is always the option of instaling a rare earth magnet (a slim one) in the Cybertool and use any available bit. I'm happy I did that a year ago.
The XLT seemed too expensive to me too, but after many years with Swisschamps I decided to go for it and have no regret. For most people it is overkill but for me it  is perfect. Buying used from collectors (that means virtually unused) helps a lot with the price.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:55 PM
That's one thing I find lacking with the Cybertools. The lack of bits. Wish they made an adapter to accept standard 1/4 bits.

+1 on that for sure! :D 

They could have at least made a little adapter that was 4mm on one end then to a 1/4 square end to add a socket or something similiar!

I use a mag glass quite often and I didnt want to carry both so thanks to GigaHz and Detron, I now have this CT 34 with the mag layer!   :tu:

CT34_maglayer.jpg
* CT34_maglayer.jpg (Filesize: 223.19 KB)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:36:48 PM
I would have gladly accepted the extra thickness a 1/4" hex capable shaft would entail . I have given thought to making an adaptor , but I would be a tad concerned about over torque . I have a small Wera 1/4" hex pocket driver , if I need to play a bit ruffer .

Chris

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:39:42 PM

They could have at least made a little adapter that was 4mm on one end then to a 1/4 square end to add a socket or something similiar!

Sir Mike ,  Leatherman has an adaptor that will fit your in line fixed phillips . I use it on my Spirit .

I use a mag glass quite often and I didnt want to carry both so thanks to GigaHz and Detron, I now have this CT 34 with the mag layer!   :tu:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 11:40:39 PM
I'm with ya buddy, I sold all my Swiss Champs long ago but now own 2 CT41's.. They're my favorite SAK. :cheers:
SAW

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 12:01:49 AM

Sir Mike ,  Leatherman has an adaptor that will fit your in line fixed phillips . I use it on my Spirit .

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me cause I forgot about that!  That was one of the reasons I wanted the inline philips cause I have a nice set of bits to use and that Leatherman adapter but I guess I forgot about it.....must be old age kicking in! LOL

It would have been nice if Vic did make something specifically for these CT's though!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 02:35:53 AM
To be fair to Vic. , as I understand it , 4mm ball detent bits are fairly common in Europe .

KOT , I've also seen 3.5 and 5mm .

Chris

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 03:00:30 AM
The CT41 is current EDC.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 03:12:12 AM
@sir mike, if the leatherman bit adapter works on the vic inline phillips let me know how it works out.

@styerman, is it a loose fit on the inline 91mm phillip?

Cause if this works great maybe my Cybertools 34 can get retired for something with more utility.
Also can you test how it works on both the new and old phillips?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:17:03 AM by Fattsgalore »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 03:58:15 AM
@sir mike, if the leatherman bit adapter works on the vic inline phillips let me know how it works out.

Cause if this works great maybe my Cybertools 34 can get retired for something with more utility.

A quick check and it fits on the newer philips better than the old.  The older one is longer and has a little skinnier shank! Not much play with the newer but alot with the older one.  The older one also bottoms out inside the adapter.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 03:54:22 PM
Hi guys

I don't know if these have been mentioned before but wiha have a 4mm to 1/4" adapter listed here.

http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/753serin.htm

You'll have to scroll down to near the bottom of the page to see it.

I hope this helps someone.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 04:04:20 PM
Hi guys

I don't know if these have been mentioned before but wiha have a 4mm to 1/4" adapter listed here.

http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/753serin.htm

You'll have to scroll down to near the bottom of the page to see it.

I hope this helps someone.

Those look like they will convert the 1/4 down to a 4 mm and we need it the other way around. :)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 04:59:07 PM

It fits tighty enuff on the inline phillips of the Spirt to support the weight of the tool , I don't have any 91mm's with the inline phillips , so I cant say for sure . A tiny strip of electrical tape might solve the problem , if one exists .

Chris

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 05:02:31 PM
If I were to make any changes , I would make the Cybertool 43 , by adding the inline phillips , magnifier layer - I would also get a buddy of mine to beadblast the phillips driver bit .

He has a little mini blaster for small components .

Chris

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 07:17:42 PM
@Cauldronborn, what sir mike said.
You posted this else where so I also think they make a 4mm to 1/4 adapter but it wouldn't fit without some modding. (if i remember correctly) It's meant for their driver device, not as a stand alone adapter.

I think the leatherman bit driver on the phillips would be a better option...Just wish they could be had cheaper. Nearly $20 for it seems steep. Looks like it's worth about $5ish IMO.
But your paying for the name I suppose...

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 01:06:59 AM
Yeah, I realized that after looking at the website a second time, sorry for any confusion. I guess I should stay away from the CT's.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 01:50:51 AM
Not gonna say you shouldn't pick one up, but if the Leatherman bit driver works well on a inline phillips then the CT is redundant due to the lack of bits.

Even some of the forum members who actually work with electronics have said that for it's intended purpose (which technically is suppose to be for computer disassembly) it's actually lacking some of the most common bit sizes for that purpose.

They still love it though.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 02:37:28 PM
I meant that I should stay away from discussions like this in future, in the two threads I've posted in on the CT I've managed to make a right plonker of myself.

I know that's how things go here sometimes and that's part of what makes this place seem more like messing around with friends than anything else but I have no intention of making myself look like the resident village idiot. :D           

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 10:47:45 AM
i have two swisschamps, both old ones and my next 91mm fatboy will be a ct41, for home and city use.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 11:23:51 AM
I meant that I should stay away from discussions like this in future, in the two threads I've posted in on the CT I've managed to make a right plonker of myself.

I know that's how things go here sometimes and that's part of what makes this place seem more like messing around with friends than anything else but I have no intention of making myself look like the resident village idiot. :D         

Ha ha, you're in good company here - we're all village idiots!

Back to the thread; I have just received a Swisschamp and am EDC'ing it to see how I feel about it. It's heavy, that's for sure and I'll probably mod it to remove the fish scaler and pliers.... but anyhoo. I really wanted a CT41, but I also love the mag and inline of the SC, Explorer etc, so I have adapted a bit holder to fit the inline philips;

This setup works really well and as it's generic all the driver bits etc work with it.

I put a small plastic sleeve in the adaptor and it sits very tightly onto the philips.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 12:54:29 PM
Here's my adaptor that works with all Philipsdrivers, with some soft foam like insert for Swisschamp new and old and Swisstool/Spirit drivers and without it for Juice.
As mentioned before, a tiny magnet in the cybertool, held with Blue Tak, makes it able to carry any 4mm bit (the image is upside down).
Adaptor 1.jpg
* Adaptor 1.jpg (Filesize: 113.38 KB)
Adaptor 2.jpg
* Adaptor 2.jpg (Filesize: 113.05 KB)
Magnet 1.jpg
* Magnet 1.jpg (Filesize: 109.6 KB)
Magnet 2.jpg
* Magnet 2.jpg (Filesize: 113.37 KB)

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:24 PM
The XLT seemed too expensive to me too, but after many years with Swisschamps I decided to go for it and have no regret. For most people it is overkill but for me it  is perfect. ...

:cheers:

Same here. Never ever without my XLT  :ahhh

Regards

Markus

Offline RedRamage

Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:42 PM
My custom EDC is a variation of the CT.  Like others here I really wanted a Mag glass, but more tools than the 34-Lite carried.

I ended up with this tool layout:

1. Main Blade and Combo tool.
2. Metal Saw and File
3. Fish Scaler <-- makes a VERY handy poking tool... when you need to reach in somewhere and push or prod at something in a narrow space.
4. Serrated Main Blade and Watch-opener tool
5. Scissors
6. Pliers
7. Bit driver
8. Mag and inline Phillips.

On the back is the corkscrews with mini-screwdriver, awl, and of course the hook.  What decent SAK doesn't have a hook after all?

It's a big knife... coming in at 37mm.  I thought at times about downsizing... even a new custom.  But I can't think of any tools that I'd be willing to give up.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:16 AM
... But I can't think of any tools that I'd be willing to give up.
:think: that's heavy thought and even more difficult decision ...
but you solved this problem fairly easily :D

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 03:00:21 AM

A quick check and it fits on the newer philips better than the old.  The older one is longer and has a little skinnier shank! Not much play with the newer but alot with the older one.  The older one also bottoms out inside the adapter.

BTW, the Leatherman Bit Adapter fits the Wenger 557 inline Philips the best of all..........but put it on diagonally........no play whatsoever.To solve the 4mm to 1/4 inch adapter issue mentioned above, here's what I intend to do:
From detron's post here
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51016.msg863145.html#msg863145

I intend to take the long bit extender that is a 4mm shaft to a 4mm socket. It comes much longer than detron shows in those pics. I'll cut 2 inches off it, and JB Weld it into an old Gerber 1/4 inch bit adapter I have lying around, unused. That way I'll have the fabled 4mm to 1/4 inch adapter, and the 4mm "plain" adapter. Both will fit easily into the cybertool (a little play issue still to be fettled) allowing the use of any 4mm bits and also any 1/4 inch bits.
Detron sent me a few tiny magnets (thank you detron) to insert into the bowels of the cybertool driver. One magnet is held in with a tiny amount of JB Weld. The magnets are so powerful that just one will easily hold a small pair of pliers off the ground!! So they are plenty strong enough to hold any adapter into the cybertool.
Here's the original pic of the screwdriver kit as hacked, and the long adapter:
http://s833.photobucket.com/user/detronphillips/media/SAKs/Cyber-Yeoman/20140313_171958.jpg.html

Also, Home Depot sells this screwdriver kit for less than $6, also all 4mm bits. It contains another useful accessory: the flexible drive attachment. Fits the cybertool (with magnet mod) perfectly. You can now access fasteners upside down, underwater, and at oblique angles  ;) ;)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lQLfnxyE1ac/UctPwOeR4jI/AAAAAAAAA5A/xiOi-8sZa8U/s1600/photo+(2).JPG
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:33:18 AM by neillcurrie »

ch Offline Aerocap

Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 06:26:39 AM
There is always the option of instaling a rare earth magnet (a slim one) in the Cybertool

As mentioned before, a tiny magnet in the cybertool, held with Blue Tak, makes it able to carry any 4mm bit (the image is upside down).

Detron sent me a few tiny magnets (thank you detron) to insert into the bowels of the cybertool driver. One magnet is held in with a tiny amount of JB Weld. The magnets are so powerful that just one will easily hold a small pair of pliers off the ground!! So they are plenty strong enough to hold any adapter into the cybertool.

Waw, that's exactly what I wish and I think it's way more easy than try to search "spring loaded ball retention bits".
I have an idea of how it may look like, but despite the descriptions and pictures I wonder what exactly to search and where to find. Is that metallic pieces? Fitting the diameter of the bit wrench hole? If someone can explain more I would be very thankful.

Also I didn't find many double end bits, but here is 4mm very complete ranges of several heads, including Security Torx since T5 size.

http://www.micro-modele.fr/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1002&orderby=product_list&DescOrderBy=ASC
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:30:42 AM by Aerocap »
C'est en faisant qu'on apprend

Offline Anbaric

Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 11:28:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried Facom series 0 bits in the CT (which I've seen mentioned elsewhere)? You can see the range of a couple of dozen different bits here:
http://www.facom.com/uk/services/brochures/Brochures.html
in catalogue section 07, available as a zip file here:
http://www.facom.com/uk/partage/f13/PDF/en/F13_07_screwdrivers_EN.zip
(see p436-437).

I've Googled some of the product codes e.g. 'Facom EP.000') and found suppliers, including well-known UK companies like RS Components and even Amazon UK, but prices are rather expensive. If the bit has a comma (',') in the product code, it can help to replace this with a stop ('.') when searching - e.g., 'Facom ES.001.8' gives me more hits than 'Facom ES.001,8'.

At these prices I doubt many people would want to buy the whole set, but it might be worth picking up one or two specific bits if they do actually fit the CT (they are described as 4mm hex and have the detent ball).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%