Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camillus 'Les Stroud' SKTM Engage Multi-tool

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Camillus 'Les Stroud' SKTM Engage Multi-tool
on: April 03, 2014, 08:42:54 PM
So, I got my Les Stroud MT in today. In case you want the short, up-front version. It sucks. Seriously.

Here's the entire review.

The tool comes in a decent soft nylon case. Along with the tool, you get a small combo flashlight/whistle, and firesteel.

The entire pack weighs 10.8oz (307g), 5" (127mm) long, 2.75" (70mm) wide, and about 2" (50mm) thick at it's thickest. Stitching on the sheath seems pretty good, and tool retention is moderate. The velcro tab holding the flap shut is not very large, and I suspect would wear out pretty quickly.

The flashlight/whistle and firesteel that comes with it are both straight-up from the 'Les Stroud Mountain Ultimate Survival Knife'. The flashlight is about 10 lumen. The beam has a very slightly bluish tint. Here's the beam compared to a fresh fauxton (fauxton on bottom).

The whistle is bad. It is not loud at all. I can get much better sound from a pen cap or spent .22 lr casing.

The firesteel, while a little stubby, threw good hot sparks once the black exterior coating was scraped away.

On to the tool itself.

The tool is made of steel, with plastic scales, and rubber grip inserts on the scales. The tool, by itself weighs just a hair over 9 oz (256g). It's just over 4" (103mm) long, 1.875" (48mm) wide at its widest, and 1" (25mm) thick.

All tools are accessed by first opening the plier assembly. The pliers are sprung, and close with very moderate force. Retention of the plier head in the open position is weak. Flex through the handles is very noticable. Due to the thick plastic scales, gripping the pliers is reasonably comfortable.

Plier assembly is attached to the tool in the same fashion as is seen on all 'Suspension' clone types. However, the backstop piece seems to have a single steel pin running across the entire tool, through steel scales. This might make it somewhat more durable than those held together with screws.

The plier jaw itself is fairly precise in it's needle nose. The tool cut 12-gauge copper wire with reasonable force, and cut coathanger, but required extreme force to accomplish this. The regular plier portion of the plier head is disproportionately small, and the wire cutting surface is disproportionately large, Also, because of the thickness of the tool, and the central placement of the plier assembly, getting the plier head close to a flush bolt would be impossible

So... see in the above picture, how the scissors are sticking out? I didn't pull them out for the pic. The retention, both open and closed on ALL tools is so light that the scissors just push themselves out of the tool body when the pliers are open. This seems like a pretty major safety hazard.

And speaking of the scissors. Based on the rating system I've devised in the scissor test thread here...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.0.html

The scissors performed as follows.
Right Handed: Failed: Corrugated Cardboard, Heavy Plastic. Barely Adequate: T-Shirt, Khaki, Suede Leather, Cardboard, 550. Pass: Paper, PETE. For a score of -2
Left Handed: Failed: Corrugated Cardboard, Heavy Plastic, T-Shirt, Suede, 550. Barely Adequate: Khaki, Cardboard, Paper, PETE. For a Score of -5

That makes these the worst scissors I've ever tested on any multitool for left-handed use. Almost as bad as any cheap swiss army knife knockoff for right-handed use. This, coupled with their dangerous propensity to stick up out of the handle (because while being terrible scissors, they're still able to stab your palm with their blade tips) almost singlehandedly ruin this tool. But wait... there's more.

On the same side of the tool as the scissors is also a can opener. Time on a #300 can is... who knows? It won't open a can. The opener is too far buried in the fat handle to hook onto the rim of a can. Total fail.

Next up is the combo flathead driver/file. It's... uhhh... you remember how I said that this tool basically had NO tool retention, open or closed? That's the ONLY reason I can think they did this. All the drivers are... 'bent'. Like, they go out a bit, then just turn, so they're not in line with the tool body. This is the flathead/file combo and what i can only assume is a Roberson on the other handle. They are as extended as they go.

Okay, so I guess this is one method for assuring that your tools won't collapse closed as easily, but it makes using ALL of the drivers a terrible experience. In addition, the flathead is really pretty small. And, unlike most every other tool EVER, it is pretty terrible as a basic pry tool.

The blade. Okay... So, this tool is 4" long, and the blade is only 2" (50mm) long. Plain edge (it's at least got THAT going for it) sheepsfoot blade. due to being both short AND an inside opening blade, it's pretty terrible. Also, it was very VERY ragged paper-cutting sharp out of the package. This blade could only be made worse with the addition of serrations along part of its length.

Okay, in the other handle, we have a saw. It is a pull cut, and like the blade, suffers from stubby tool syndrome. However, it seems to be sharp, and I think would cut branches if needed. Here's a pic of the saw next to a Wenger Evogrip.

Next would be the Robertson, but I think it was well covered above, so I'll skip to...

The philips. Same weird bend as the other drivers, VERY fine head, and a rather thin shank. This tool would have good reach, but it doesn't seem any stronger than the philips on a Micra. it's not fine enough to fit the small philips screws in my camera, but while it looks very small, it slots into #2 philips screws securely.

And... finally... (sigh)... the fish scaler. Again, stubby. It's printed with a 2" ruler on one side. The other side has a (surprisingly aggressive and good) file. I can't imagine, because of the inside folding, and the thickness of this tool, that it's actually physically possible to scale a fish with this while the handles are closed. you'd have to do the strange, half-open jackknife thing with the handles. Untested, don't care.

So... the big killer for me. Setting everything else aside. Thickness.

That's the tool alongside the absurdly bulky Walmart Ozark Trail tool and the Even more absurdly bulky Home Depot husky MT. And it makes both of them look positively SLIM.

This thing is absurdly thick. Uncomfortably so. Maybe if I were in the Alaskan Wilderness, and my hands were numb, I'd bless its fat, easy form, and weak tool retention and tool clumping, so I could extract those stumpy little tools. But I'm not. And every time I touch this thing, it feels like it ought to have 'Fisher Price' on it, instead of 'Les Stroud'.

The Good
- Decent package, with sheath, tool, light, and firesteel.
- Robertson Drive. You don't see those much. Beauty, eh?
- relatively affordable

The Bad
- Wonky Drivers
- Dangerous Scissors
- Made for Giants, apparently

Final Verdict.
Oh, dear Smurfing God. This is the worst fail of a name brand tool I've ever seen. Seriously. I like the firesteel. I'd be tempted to pitch the rest in a lake.

Do yourself a favor, get a 50 cent fauxton, a $6 firesteel, and pretty literally ANY other namebrand multitool.

And remember gang, I wasted my money so you don't have to!  :salute:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:04:55 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Camillus 'Les Stroud' SKTM Engage Multi-tool
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:56:40 PM
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I told you so.  :whistle:

Thanks for saving me money Lynn. All I have to say is I knew it and pertaining to the last picture you put up with it next to all those cheapies is it deserves to be in the company of all the others.

How could Les let this come out with his name on it. I would be embarrassed and refuse to have my name backing this tool when he is such a well respected survivalist. Hes going to get reamed big time for this one.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:03:24 PM
I told you so.  :whistle:

>I< told me so.

I hate to jump to conclusions, but what I'm seeing isn't exciting me.

I'm usually all for 'better than nothing', but those scissors seem like they could actively CAUSE more trouble.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09:23 PM
So, did you like it?

:whistle:

:D

I do find it amusing that after all the fun Les fans poked at Bear Grylls's branded tools he put his name on this...   :rofl:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:13:28 PM
Thanks for a solid review Lynn.  :salute:
Looks like Les dropped the ball on this one.  :(
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:59 PM
LOL OH DEAR!

I expected it to be on par with the typical cheapos, but this is far far worse.

My fav part is the can opener that cant open cans.  Just like on the SOG power duo.  What was the test.. does have can opener.. check.. should we open a can.. nah its fine.   :whistle:

Ive never in my life seen bent drivers. I expected you to say something like.. well I did a little light prying and look what happened.. but nope they came pre bent!

So how does the Titanium bonded steel seem... :D   :pok:   :whistle:

When I was researching the Ti thing I found all kinds of complaints about the steel quality and the bigger machete type blades snapping easily.  This is why I buy tools and knives by steel type and reputation.  But.. their will always be a market for tools sold based purely on price and marketing gimmicks.

Edit.. I know LES is often seen at blade show and similar.  Please someone bring a can and this MT with them, go to one and challenge him to open a can!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:56:34 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:54 PM
The tools seem almost 'blued'. It's certainly some kind of coating.

If I can stand to look at this POS again, I was seriously considering doing some corrosion tests with it, a cheap used SAK I bought, and a Wingman. maybe throw my Rebar in there. I'd do the flat drivers on them, since I think they'd be easiest to remove the rust afterward.

I just tried a scratch test, of the Micra flathead against the can opener on the Les tool, and it left only the very faintest scratch. Using the can opener against the flat of the Micra flathead scratched the flathead... and removed a tiny fleck of black material form the Les tool. So... Yeah. Not very convincing increase in durability.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:02:05 PM
But its got a 5 star review on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Camillus%C2%AE-Stroud-SKTM-Engage-Multi-Tool/dp/B00HWH775U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396555168&sr=8-1&keywords=les+stroud+multi+tool

Think its by a Camillus employee?

I like how they posed the tool in that pic so you cant tell the drivers are bent.

If the coating is blue grayish its probably TiCN or something similar.

"Material: Titanium carbo-nitride, TiCN (multi-layers)
Color: blue-gray (anthracite)"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:04:41 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:31:16 PM
So, here's a link to the rust resistance test I just started...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51481.0.html

I think TiCN is probably right. Dunno.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:49:32 PM

And now it's also got a 2 star review, strangely, from a user named 'Lynn'. :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 11:01:31 PM

Good job!  :salute:

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:02 PM

Dang, how bad does a tool have to be to earn a one star review? burn down your house?
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 12:13:42 AM
Dang, how bad does a tool have to be to earn a one star review? burn down your house?

Well... the pliers work, the wire cutters work, the drivers work, even if they're at weird and uncomfortable angles. The blade, while not as sharp as I'd like it DOES cut. The problem of the scissors poking out can (and has, in my case) have the spring bent to alleviate tension, so they don't pop out. No big loss, since the scissors sucked anyway.

Saw (probably) works, even if it's short. The file on the fish scaler isn't bad.

The flashlight works, and the firesteel is pretty good, and the sheath seems sturdy.

So... I guess if a handful of more things were wrong with it, I'd have rated it a 1. I mean... you DO understand that I was a large inspiration for them starting the 'cheap and cheerful' board, right? I've owned a lot of tools that were worse than this one. Just no name-brand ones. I've had a tool literally FALL APART, from bad screws. That'd be a 1.

Admittedly... I have low standards. :D

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
This is mostly disappointing because I've been watching Survivorman since the very first episode aired. Fortunately, while this may reflect poorly on his brand image, it's not likely to sour my opinion of his show.

Campy. From Coghlan's. Great gobs of goo, was it ever awful.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 12:30:12 AM

What? How can you SAY such hurtful things to a tool that gave you the best minutes of its life? :D

You had to peen that tool's pins out of the package, didn't you? Not even 'REpeen'. Yeah, see, THAT is a 1 out of 5.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 12:42:21 AM

What? How can you SAY such hurtful things to a tool that gave you the best minutes of its life? :D

You had to peen that tool's pins out of the package, didn't you? Not even 'REpeen'. Yeah, see, THAT is a 1 out of 5.

I had to peen Coghlan. After the beating Coghlan survived (it's still here and, except for the saw, functional!), I would give it at least a 2.5.

No, Campy is the one that dented to near uselessness when it fell on a hammer. No, I did not get that backwards.  Also, most of its tools came useless right out of the box.  The only thing that worked well was the pliers (and even they needed some peening near the end). I would have been better off using a tool made of fish livers.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 01:05:44 AM
Ah, right. Good times. Good times.  :rofl:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 01:34:03 AM
Ah, right. Good times. Good times.  :rofl:

I seriously want to do a survival test with the Camillus Stroud McMuffin Tool. I should book that for this summer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 02:00:25 AM
Darn it. You are looking at the words typed by a man who is steeling himself into buying one of these when they come locally to his home town simply because a collection demands it. Inwardly, I am completely aghast at that prospect.

As for the Coghlan, I have one, and I am not proud to state that fact either.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 02:01:43 AM
I just had a thought. Will they come out with a keychain model and call it "and Son"?  :ahhh  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:22 AM
I just had a thought. Will they come out with a keychain model and call it "and Son"?  :ahhh  :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

Probably.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 04:02:10 AM

If DC comics were involved, it would be 'Survivor Lad'. :D

If it were a 50's horror MT, it'd be 'Son of Survivorman'.

If it were a 00's crappy movie, it'd be '2 Survivor, 2 Tool'.

If it were a collectable card game, it would be 'Survivor: the Reawakening'

But my number one guess... 'No really, the REALLY Ultimate, most sincerely ULTIMATE survivor tool, so much better than Mr Drinks-his-pee's'

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 04:18:06 AM
Wow, that's pretty pathetic.  Sad to see a piece of crap like this marketed under a once-proud name like Camillus.....  :facepalm:  Thanks for taking one for the team Lynn.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 05:17:51 AM
Not sure who I'm more disappointed in, Camillus or Stroud. I expect better from both.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 06:43:25 AM
I don't know who Les is or that broadcast, so the tool looks junk just from the pictures.
Can't these people make business with Leatherman?

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 08:51:03 AM
I don't know who Les is or that broadcast, so the tool looks junk just from the pictures.

Les Stroud or Mr. DHOP would need to pick up professional surfing or snowboarding first... The only high-quality firm I remember 'endorsing' prominence was Wenger with the Mike Horn/Alinghi/Ueli Steck models.  :salute:

But it would be great to have some model lines like this coming from the mighty V in the future  :dd:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 09:21:37 AM

Les Stroud or Mr. DHOP would need to pick up professional surfing or snowboarding first... The only high-quality firm I remember 'endorsing' prominence was Wenger with the Mike Horn/Alinghi/Ueli Steck models.  :salute:

But it would be great to have some model lines like this coming from the mighty V in the future  :dd:
What about the Space Exploration SAK???

Img stolen from Chako
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 09:24:28 AM
Seriously, why wouldn't Les make a crappy tool? With crappy tools the profit margin is much higher and as long people buy it, the joke is on those who spend their money on it unknowingly / unprepared of what piece of garbage they buy.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 09:35:51 AM
Seriously, why wouldn't Les make a crappy tool? With crappy tools the profit margin is much higher and as long people buy it, the joke is on those who spend their money on it unknowingly / unprepared of what piece of garbage they buy.

But in my mind he kind of soils his name being he was "supposedly" a key part of designing the tool.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 10:04:52 AM

But in my mind he kind of soils his name being he was "supposedly" a key part of designing the tool.  :facepalm:
Agreed and we all hope that we would have more integrity when it comes to a situation like this. But honestly, ask yourself, how much money would it take to put your name on a "less than perfect" :rofl: - tool?
Also in defense of Les Stroud, we cannot really know how much control he has over the use of his name. Those TV-contracts can be pretty nasty. He probably makes good money with the show but the big bucks are made by the studio.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%