Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ontario Knife Company Rat-2 Opinions

us Offline this_is_nascar

Ontario Knife Company Rat-2 Opinions
on: April 04, 2014, 10:46:52 PM
I've been spending the better part of a couple days reading and watching reviews concerning this Rat-2.  Does anyone here have one and want to comment?  From what I've seen, the only negative comment I can come up with so far would be the pocket-clip allows a good portion of the knife to stick-up out of the pocket, when configured for tip-up carry.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Ontario Knife Company Rat-2 Opinions
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:31:55 PM
OK, I do not have that specific knife but since there does not seem to be anybody else replying I would say that it is regarded as a good quality, value for money product, just like many of Ontario's products. It may not be the fanciest speced or looking knife but it does have a very good reputation. Ontario seems to aim for good quality, value for money products rather than being the best and most expensive maker/seller.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 02:20:36 PM
I have one that I just got. I havent had the opportunity to test it properly yet, but it seems well built and very sharp out of the box.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:36:59 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk-2.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:45:24 AM
I got a friend who likes his Rat-2
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:44:36 PM
I just got one as well and the only complaint I have is that the belt clip is very tight. Maybe I just have pants made of thick cloth  ???

As far as how low it rides it was the lowest riding one of it's competitors. Plus you can move the clip to any of four points of carry.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:19:05 PM
I got the RAT-1 and RAT-2 in my to-get list.

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 01:51:55 AM
I have both knives.  I highly recommend both.  The Rat1 is quite large but carries very well. I don't carry it a lot because its so large.  The rat2 is what I consider perfect for EDC.  both are solid and well built.  I love the flat ground drop point blades.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:31:16 AM
Today I moved the clip to the RH point up position (using a Squirt P4) and it was a breeze.

Always good to have a MT project when your wife in getting her hair done.

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 03:30:31 AM
I got my Ontario Rat M2 in Black with the Black Teflon blade, my mate Les got one in OD Green with the satin silver blade. Both of us carry it 7 days a week.

I carry the Rat M2 in my Skinth Magnum during the working week, around the house and over the weekend when I go out it is Pocket carried using the Pocket clip.

For me it is light weight, feels great in my large hands, still have great movement with the knife and control.

It cost me $60 AUD so was well with in my budget, I would love to have gotten the Rat 1 but these are banned here in Australia (importing).
Would I recommend you getting one..  He'll yeah just a great allround knife, looks smart, doesn't come across as being tactical, easy to deploy.

Still feels great in hand...

Size is good when folded..

Over length not bad, not to large to feel uncomfortable..

Pocket clip can be placed at 4 locations..

Rides very well in my Skinth Magnum..

And Pocket carry very well.

Hope you enjoyed the pics..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 03:46:34 AM
I recently got a RAT-1 and am loving everything about it. Your concerns about it sticking out of the pocket to much in the tip up configuration should be of no concern in my opinion. At least the RAT-1 does not have this issue. It does not stick up out of the pocket farther than most other knives I own. I can get pictures if it helps you at all. If you have any specific questions or need specific pictures feel free to ask.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:24 AM
I dont have one but alot of folks on the forums seem to like them alot!  :)

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 07:53:55 AM
It cost me $60 AUD so was well with in my budget, I would love to have gotten the Rat 1 but these are banned here in Australia (importing).

Is there any reason given for this except legal mumbo jumbo? I have to say I see no difference between the RAT1 and the RAT2. Is it the blade length?  :think:

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 08:12:30 AM

Is there any reason given for this except legal mumbo jumbo? I have to say I see no difference between the RAT1 and the RAT2. Is it the blade length?  :think:

From what I've seen and heard it is how the Customs officer tests the knife if the blade can be slightly opened with a flick of your wrist it is deemed a flick knife hence it is then banned. Most ask suppliers to tighten the pivot screw so it won't just open if flicked. But the problem is if you bring it a knife and it is confiscated then you are in the watch list if you try a second time and if you do and it's confiscated again then they may raid your house and take ALL of your knife collection even those that are totally legal.

Now carrying a knife over 3" in blade length could be consituted as a deadly weapon and would be hard to explain I just use it to open my potato chip bag.

I would love to get a Rat-1 but would only get a second hand one from someone that had bought it before the laws were changed.

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 08:33:16 AM

From what I've seen and heard it is how the Customs officer tests the knife if the blade can be slightly opened with a flick of your wrist it is deemed a flick knife hence it is then banned. Most ask suppliers to tighten the pivot screw so it won't just open if flicked. But the problem is if you bring it a knife and it is confiscated then you are in the watch list if you try a second time and if you do and it's confiscated again then they may raid your house and take ALL of your knife collection even those that are totally legal.

Now carrying a knife over 3" in blade length could be consituted as a deadly weapon and would be hard to explain I just use it to open my potato chip bag.

I would love to get a Rat-1 but would only get a second hand one from someone that had bought it before the laws were changed.

Wow! That's just terrible.  :facepalm: I feel bad for you guys.
I'm the milk man!

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:35 AM
This sounds really bad.
So if customs have a bad day, they can really ruin your day.  :rant:

There are for sure some strange knife-related laws around the world!  ???

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 10:19:26 AM
This sounds really bad.

There are for sure some strange knife-related laws around the world???

You got that right!

If you're that way inclined, then any object could maim or kill.

I agree if your walking round with a machete or sword then something is probably not right. But to deem anyone and everyone that buys a pocket knife a threat to society is frankly bonkers - its almost discrimination.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 11:23:10 AM
I have them both...

RAT 1 and RAT 2

Both are great knives... I'm EDC'ing RAT1 ATM, and 2 is in drawer... Great value for money!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 06:46:49 PM
This sounds really bad.

There are for sure some strange knife-related laws around the world???

You got that right!

If you're that way inclined, then any object could maim or kill.

I agree if your walking round with a machete or sword then something is probably not right. But to deem anyone and everyone that buys a pocket knife a threat to society is frankly bonkers - its almost discrimination.

tosh, I would actually be more afraid of the guy walking around with a fixed blade hunting knife in a kydex sheath, than the guy walking around with a medieval sword and sheath. :P But come on, even keys can be deadly, if used "properly".

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 10:14:03 PM
I've been spending the better part of a couple days reading and watching reviews concerning this Rat-2.  Does anyone here have one and want to comment?  From what I've seen, the only negative comment I can come up with so far would be the pocket-clip allows a good portion of the knife to stick-up out of the pocket, when configured for tip-up carry.

I pulled the trigger and just ordered a Rat-2.  Should have it later this evening.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:42 PM
Congrats! The RAT 1 and 2 are in my opinion one of the best budget folders in that price range.
I'm the milk man!

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 12:57:16 AM
Well, it arrived and I must say, I'm pretty impressed.  Fit, finish and construction seem great.  It's not the sharpest knife I've ever had out of the box, but it's pretty good.  I had to reverse the clip to allow for my normal tip-up carry.  That being said, I would prefer a different clip, something like what's on the Spyderco Delica.  Anyone know of any aftermarket clip for this Rat-2?  I'm not sure if I'll change my mind later, but initial impressions have this knife feeling better in my hand than my Delica-4.  I reserve the right to change my mind in a few days/weeks after using it for a bit.

Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 12:37:48 PM
My Rat-2 carried very comfortably yesterday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 02:27:57 PM
Great knife, it's one of my favorites  :tu:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 02:42:24 PM
I am starting to appreciate the 3 inch blade length for EDC and need to get me one of these.
Absolutely love the Rat Model 1 and if its half as nice it will still get a fair share of use.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 03:21:36 PM
These look cool, added to my wishlist :D
SAW

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 04:17:31 PM
"Extreme Edge Custom Kydex" makes some auto-opening kydex holsters for this knife I believe. You simply pull the knife straight out and it will lock and deploy the blade.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 04:25:54 PM
These look cool, added to my wishlist :D

You need one  :pok:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 04:30:50 PM
"Extreme Edge Custom Kydex" makes some auto-opening kydex holsters for this knife I believe. You simply pull the knife straight out and it will lock and deploy the blade.

Looks like it's for the Rat I, but pretty cool design   :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 05:00:48 PM
Yeah I thought they had a couple, including some for spydercos, but maybe not

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00