Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Gerber Shard Is Awful

nz Offline RimfireNZ

The Gerber Shard Is Awful
on: April 05, 2014, 11:44:25 AM
I saw one of these for cheap online here so I grabbed one, thinking it would be nice to have a little pry bar and maybe something that can stay on my keys with a bottle opener (since Leathermans bottle openers are awful).

Well after carrying it for a week and trying to use it as much as I can I've come to the following conclusions:
  • The bottle opener works great
  • The phillips driver is terrible and doesn't work in small, medium or larger phillips screws.
  • The flathead driver is also pretty awful. It works but will pop out very easily due to the way it tapers down.
  • The prybar functionality is iffy. The tool is tiny so really you can't get any leverage anyway.

I think that was it. I'm going to finish putting a video review for it together, but this was the gist of it. It's made it to the 1 week mark and now it's off my keychain and gone into a drawer forever.

I really wanted to like this  :(

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: The Gerber Shard Is Awful
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:00:42 PM

The Gerber Shard is a much better option for prying and the above mentioned features then a Shard, plus is comes with an XACTO knife. I think both tools from Gerber are decent but definitely need some tweaking to make them better. They are not meant to be good in all situations but be there in a pinch to cover when you when you don't have your multitool. I have many Atwoods that I feel are just as limited as the Shard. Considering what it is; it's not a bad tool and it's pretty popular around here from what I can tell, course we're all addicted here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:13:49 PM
The Gerber Artifact I do believe is better than the Shard...I agree.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:30:23 PM
Dave kind of got my feelings right on the nose, although I don't think he meant to.

I like the Shard.  It's not perfect, but for less than $10 it's amazing, especially when I have paid a lot more for higher end one piece tools that are even less functional.  I can't comment on Atwood's per se as I don't have any to compare it to, but I do have some one piece tools from some other makers and from guys who think that a few fancy cutouts in a hunk of metal constitute a "tool.". Most of these cost $50-100 or in some cases more.  And they are horrible.

I like the Shard in its own right, but when compared to some of the other offerings in its class is a smurfing rock star.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:32:18 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:40:56 PM
Dave, I think you meant Artifact is better, right? ;)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:42:59 PM
I thought that you felt the same away about it, for the price you cannot complain. Yes it's not perfect; but in a world overrun by knock offs and import items that aren't worth their price the shard stands on it's own pretty well in a market that is sill developing. Lots of tool and custom makers are still tapping into the pry bar catagory, for a cheap beater that you can mod and not feel like you   Spent too much the shard is a darn good tool.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 02:44:53 PM
There are some decent custom makers, like Ray Kirk and Jared Price, but there are also a lot of bandwagon jumpers producing utter crap and charging a mint for it.  The robot tool for example, or the P38.5 are both overpriced and crap.

I think the robot was over $100 and I'm pretty certain I paid around the $60-80 mark for the P38.5, but then it's titanium. Insert rolling eye smiley here.

The Shard is ten times the function of either of those at a fraction of the price.

Def

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:51:46 PM
Amen to that brother! I love both custom makers you mentioned, both of their tools (Raker tool and tucan) are excellent and they didn't simply make them to become part of the trend. I've never seen the robot; what is that? I've got a P38.5 and it's not very friendly on your pocket, both ways lol

The only tool price wise that's close to the shard/artifact is maybe the pocket wrench II

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 03:26:52 PM
There's a great site for tool info called Multitool.org- you may have heard of it.... :D

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=35615.0

All tool info is belong to us!  :D

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 03:37:38 PM
Ha ha very funny, I was unaware you had posted one on our page. That is one ummm interesting tool.

I'm almost contemplating getting rid of my Atwoods in exchange for tools I don't have.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 01:21:56 PM
While there are some things I like about the Shard, its Phillips driver simply does not work. Once, I relied on it to turn a screw, and it would not work. I was very disappointed, as this would be so easy to get right :(

SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD