Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Enki's 2014 Challenge Coin Design Entry

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Enki's 2014 Challenge Coin Design Entry
on: April 05, 2014, 03:04:42 PM
Yes, I know I'm a bit late. :doh: So I decided to skip the design stage and jump right onto the prototype. And as I don't work that well with metal (no proper machinery) and wanted test out the design fast I chose to make the model out of 3mm plywood. :D

Be gentle, it's a quick mock-up I did before breakfast today. :whistle:

But first thing's first. Tofty approached me to improve on my last years design which was this.

Here are the changes.

As the idea was that it would carry a flat bit (any of the double sided LM ones) the driver part of it doesn't have to be a full sized 1/4", just a flat hole would do the trick too, maybe even better.

I tried to add space for two flat bits, but at the size of the coin (46mm x 3mm), there wouldn't be any place left for the bit driver or MTO name/address. 

So here it is next to the last years one.

The bit is held in place by a small gasket that wedges itself inside the coin. And the O of MT.O is the bit driver.

On the current model the bit driver is such a tight fit that the bit won't slide out but that most surely won't be the case with the production one if this one should win. So the gasket can also be used to keep the bit from sliding while in use.

One of the ideas was also to taper the edge of the coni to make it an universal flat head screwdriver for different sizes of flat head screws like the pocket screwdriver. I know there were a few problems with this idea mentioned in Ducttapetech's thread but this doesn't have to be as precisely machined as Nate's idea, it wouldn't be used to measure anything, just as a screwdriver.

So that's it for now. Any thoughts, advice for improvements, ... ?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Enki's 2014 Challenge Coin Design Entry
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:07:46 PM
Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, the bit driver hole would be used as a keyring attachment so you could carry your extra bit on your keyring. :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:23:49 PM
I like it.

I do wonder about restricting it to LM bits though.  Probably not a legal issue, but possibly a favoritism issue?  Plus it's little help to people who want to use/carry oddball screwdrivers like Robertson's or Torx, which is especially appealing if you have the flat head driver issue satisfied with the edge of the coin.

Otherwise I think it's a great concept!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:35:45 PM
Well as one of the LM board moderators I occasionally am a bit rough to them so a bit of favoritism can't hurt. :whistle:

:D

The extra bit idea was the main part of the plan, If two could be fitted, that would be even better but that would require a larger coin. I for one don't like carrying the bit cards and sheath and if I carry a Wave/Charge, it's via pocketclip so having extra bits on a challenge coin seemed like a good idea to me. And yes, it would mostly be to carry the oddball bits, I have the flat heads in there as I used that bit to make the bit hole. :D On the last pic there's the hex key bit in there. 

The more important question would be if we could source the appropriate bits from LM, let's say, 20 robertsons, 80 flathead/phillips, or whatever the membership decided they'd like in it?

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 05:15:30 PM
I like it! And building a prototyps rocks!
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88