Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plastic fantastic... having a go at a kydex multitool sheath

nelson · 10 · 2236

gb Offline nelson

I bought some a4 sheets of Kydex to have a mess around with. Although I use my Skinths daily, I really liked the millisecond access to the tool that the FMA holder gave.

I've never used this stuff before and it's not common here, with no real demand for EDC holsters and knife sheaths, so its a bit of a learning curve.

Anyway, I made a press using some wood and foam I had laying around and  I slapped two bits of Kydex in the oven then formed them around a LMCharge.

I wanted the tool angled, but made a complete balls of cutting it out, not allowing sufficient material for the belt loops to be fitted.

I carried on regardless just to see all the processes involved so I can do better next time.

I ended up with a pancake style sheath, that sits close and comfortable to the body. So flat in fact I could drive quite happily without feeling it on my back and it doesn't show through clothing in any significant way.

The tool really impressively locks into it, not a chance it would fall out, but accessibility is instant as is putting it back in with that nice click home.

I've got the measure of this stuff now and I'll make a much better job of it next time, though I'll post a few pics of the trial run shortly for your viewing pleasure :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Plastic fantastic... having a go at a kydex multitool sheath
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:11:04 PM
:popcorn:

BTW, where did you get the kydex this side of the pond and how much did it set you back?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:31 PM
looking forward to seeing the results Nelson. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:40:24 PM
Like with all topics we hope to see plenty of pics...

gb Offline nelson

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:25:56 PM

:popcorn:

BTW, where did you get the kydex this side of the pond and how much did it set you back?

Bought some sheets on fleabay to try it out, probably not the most economical way, but I only wanted a small quantity of each thickness.

If you get some don't put it in an oven used for food, your wife will be pissed!

gb Offline nelson

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:34:04 AM
The general idea was for a pancake style with the tool at an angle (like the FMA)

You'll notice I haven't bothered finishing any edges and the belt loops are a rough cut, but it's only a prototype...

My biggest mistake was not leaving enough excess material to make the belt loops vertical! Even so, it sits nice and high on the hip and very flat. As I said earlier, you can sit quite comfortably without it digging into your side.

It doesn't really show through clothes so it's out of sight to a thief and you know the tool is secure and easy to get at..

It's an interesting material, I can't wait to try again. One problem I do have is that no-one in the UK sells the closed cell foam for use with kydex, so I really need to find what works best by trial and error.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:12:47 AM
When I first did kydex work I used foam from a sleeping pad I got at a discount store.  Really any heavy duty closed cell will work though.

Something like this was what I found.

Ive since bought the recommended foam.  But its not been a big difference.  For heat Ive tried oven, flat skillet and heat gun. I prefer heat gun as I can spot heat and adjust after.

I have a bunch of kydex left and Ive been trying to figure out something cool to use it for.  I think I want to do a neck sheath to hold a firesteel and an alox SAK.  Im also interested in a horizontal carry sheath for my spirit x.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline nelson

Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 04:00:53 PM
When I first did kydex work I used foam from a sleeping pad I got at a discount store.  Really any heavy duty closed cell will work though.

Something like this was what I found.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ive since bought the recommended foam.  But its not been a big difference.  For heat Ive tried oven, flat skillet and heat gun. I prefer heat gun as I can spot heat and adjust after.

I have a bunch of kydex left and Ive been trying to figure out something cool to use it for.  I think I want to do a neck sheath to hold a firesteel and an alox SAK.  Im also interested in a horizontal carry sheath for my spirit x.

Horizontal carry for a compact tool like the spirit or an original wave would be interesting, I like that :)

The foam I have is similar to what you describe. The wife has 2" thick blocks for her yoga that I'm going to commandeer and try out.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:04:09 PM by nelson »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:44:19 PM
Looks good Nelson. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 11:10:56 PM
That looks great!

+ tidy workshop  :drool:

Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00