Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A new pivot bolt for an old Hercules

J-sews · 10 · 2106

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
A new pivot bolt for an old Hercules
on: April 05, 2014, 07:01:51 PM
A couple months ago we talked about a crazy old combination tool called the Hercules (or sometimes Herkules) Patent tool in this thread here: LINK.  Right after that my good pal Yadda alerted me to another one of these tools listed for sale, in England. Well, given that my old one was in pretty rough condition, and this one in England looked almost minty clean, I went after it. And, a few dollars and a few weeks later, it was mine. (Thanks Lyndon!) :cheers:

But there was one minor problem, one that I was fully aware of before purchasing the tool. While it is indeed in spectacular condition, unfortunately the original pivot bolt has gone missing years ago, with no hope of finding it according to the previous owner. :cry: Somebody had substituted a regular 10mm hex bolt and a big wing nut in it's place: :(

This simply would not do. I set about making a replacement last week. Luckily I had the original pivot bolt from my old beat-up Hercules to pattern after.

nut and stud fresh off the lathe

old stud at top. New one at bottom, ready for mill work

cutting the hourglass shape

cutting the flats

new set on top, old set on the bottom

my old beat up Hercules on the left, new one on right

All fixed! :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: A new pivot bolt for an old Hercules
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:13:33 PM
Very neat Bob. :tu:  Now you just need about 50 years of patina on it and you're set. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:37:07 PM
Beautiful job on that bolt.
It's similar to the bolt going through several Fiskars heavier-duty scissors/shears, if not quite as beefy:
http://engineering.curiouscatblog.net/2010/11/12/fiskars-cutsmore-5-in-1-multi-purpose-scissors/

It's amazing how much practicality is packed into that tool, I'd love one if you ever run into another!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:45:13 PM by neillcurrie »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:57:55 PM
Very neat Bob. :tu:  Now you just need about 50 years of patina on it and you're set. :D

It will be a perfect match Gareth....eventually. :D

It's similar to the bolt going through several Fiskars heavier-duty scissors/shears, if not quite as beefy:
http://engineering.curiouscatblog.net/2010/11/12/fiskars-cutsmore-5-in-1-multi-purpose-scissors/

It's amazing how much practicality is packed into that tool, I'd love one if you ever run into another!!!

Practicality? :think: Not sure if anyone has ever said that about a Hercules tool Neil. :D  It has a ton of different functions certainly, but the logic of including them all onto one tool is a bit questionable. ;) I suspect the whole device is just a good example of 100-year-old slick salesmanship (Look What All You Can Do With Just This One Tool!!) more so than a truly useful device.

Which come to think of it, is not much different than some of the 20-in-1! and 30-in-1!! tools we see coming out of China nowadays! :D

It is a pretty awesome contraption though. I'll give a shout if another one turns up :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:03:31 PM
Now that's how you restore a tool :D

Good work, Bob. :cheers:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:10 PM

Now that's how you restore a tool :D

Good work, Bob. :cheers:

+1

Bob  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:25:41 AM
Absolutely awesome!  That Hercules is very nice.  Your tool and die work is remarkable.  :salute:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 04:08:14 AM
Good work there Bob!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:18:38 AM

It will be a perfect match Gareth....eventually. :D

Practicality? :think: Not sure if anyone has ever said that about a Hercules tool Neil. :D  It has a ton of different functions certainly, but the logic of including them all onto one tool is a bit questionable. ;) I suspect the whole device is just a good example of 100-year-old slick salesmanship (Look What All You Can Do With Just This One Tool!!) more so than a truly useful device.

Which come to think of it, is not much different than some of the 20-in-1! and 30-in-1!! tools we see coming out of China nowadays! :D

It is a pretty awesome contraption though. I'll give a shout if another one turns up :salute:

They do show up for auction from time to time.  I'll also keep an eye out.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 03:38:11 PM
Nice work!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!