Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crank power for emergency gear?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Crank power for emergency gear?
on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:19 AM
You can get radios, flashlights, etc. with crank power options.

I have been seriously wondering lately as to why this is a good idea, when there are now batteries that have 10-year shelf life.

It's not like the crank powered gear don't ALSO have batteries. I don't know what the life-span is on a rechargeable battery that isn't ever charged. So, I don't know how great they are if they're never used. If that's the case, crank powered gear is not that great. Add to that that any gadget with the crank power mechanism is necessarily bulkier, AND that most of those crank handles look pretty prone to breakage with real, prolonged use, and I have to ask myself why I wouldn't just opt to use that same amount of space and weight in emergency gear for more lithium batteries.

I don't think there have been more than a handful of reviews I've heard of where products that claimed to be able to crank-charge a cell phone actually worked, and when they did, they required a LONG crank period (like half an hour for 5 minutes of call time).

So... am I missing something or is crank power really just kind of a gimicky waste?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Crank power for emergency gear?
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:38:38 AM
I haven't studied in much depth, but from what I have read most crank operated stuff isn't really that well designed or robust enough that you could rely on it in when you really needed it. 

Probably better going with lithium primaries for short term outages, or if you want a long term off-grid solution get some quality solar (PV) panels hooked up to a decent charger and some eneloop batteries
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 04:45:53 AM
I got one of those little ones in the basement, idk if the thing even still works. I bought it for like 50cents at a tag sale, I fig what the heck, better then nothing! What I'd really like to get is one of those nice ones that have noaa radio! When we lost power for a week during that one storm like three years back we didn't have anything except a little AA radio, luckily we had plenty of AA's but still didn't need them. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:46:11 AM
The only real use I ever get out of a crank powered flashlight is the one in my car. It serves me well as I don't wan't to rely on having batteries in a flashlight for years just to get used once (if) the batteries have not drained all or most of its juice sitting there. I would not opt for a crank flashlight in any other situation.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:02:21 AM
What I'd really like to get is one of those nice ones that have noaa radio!

I have an Eton FR-300. It gets 7 weather bands, and SO FAR, the crank power has worked pretty well. It also has a place for regular batteries, so it doesn't HAVE to be crank powered. I've had it a few years. Maybe 4 or 5? Every time the tornado sirens go off, I pull it out, crank it up to make sure that's still working, and turn on the  NOAA report.

I don't intend to pack it off anywhere though, so the added bulk is kind of irrelevant.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:12:40 AM
So... am I missing something or is crank power really just kind of a gimicky waste?

I have some crank-powered radio/flashlight/phone chargers in my car kits.  I believe they are Eton FR-160s.  I tested them before I put them in, but should probably pull them out and test them again.  I think the crank-powered concept is great, although (like you) I may have some unanswered questions about the durability and or longevity of specific devices.

I agree it would take a lot of cranking to fully charge a cell phone.  However, I'm not concerned with fully charging the phone, or even charging it enough for an extended conversation.  The value of the cell phone charger function, IMO, is being able to generate enough energy to power up an otherwise-dead phone for a quick emergency call or text for help.  If it takes 5-10 minutes (or even 30 minutes) of cranking to do this, that is probably OK.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:36 PM
I had a pair of mini walkie talkies which had the weather station, they worked absolutely great, but then stopped working due to what ever they did a few years back, same with my little radio, they no longer picks up the weather station,, but when they did it was great, run in turn them on and quickly find out just what we had in store for the day.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:17:32 PM
I don't mind crank power. 2 or 3 cranks on my generator and I'm good to go. :)

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:24:02 PM
Although batteries have a 10 year shelf life, they don't have a 10 year life if you use them. That's why crank operated things are useful. I have a keychain sized crank flashlight and it's very bright and gets quite a run until needing more cranks. :tu:
SAW

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:55:04 PM
I like the idea of a crank radio but maybe it is just me and a EDC/prepper type persona! :)  I looked at them but never bought one or ended up getting enough info on which one to get!

I see them more in use if SHTF type scenario where eventually batteries might be awful hard to come by so after your supply is out, you can still get some new/weather/etc. on the radio.

I guess the other reason to have one is that using the crank all the time means you dont have to buy alot of batteries if you use it often! Cheap skate idea! LOL  I have a friend that has one and he cranks it up when we go out golfing so he uses it alot and I guess buying batteries for that much use could get very expensive! :)

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:16:18 PM
I picked up an Eton when I was in the US a few years ago. This one:

I does not see a lot of use, sits in a drawer all the time. But if everything else would fail, I know where to find it. Best thing: built in bottle opener  :)
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:17 PM

I have an Eton FR-300. It gets 7 weather bands, and SO FAR, the crank power has worked pretty well. It also has a place for regular batteries, so it doesn't HAVE to be crank powered. I've had it a few years. Maybe 4 or 5? Every time the tornado sirens go off, I pull it out, crank it up to make sure that's still working, and turn on the  NOAA report.

I don't intend to pack it off anywhere though, so the added bulk is kind of irrelevant.

I have that exact same Eton model I love it.  The crank feels like a selling feature, but I suppose could be used. 

I have a different radio model with solar charing and its awesome.  In regular daylight the solar power is enough to power the radio with no batteries at all even installed.  So Id vote for solar cells over crank power.

This one.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44:13 AM
I have one 'cranked' radio which used to see a lot of use at work, and my daughter has a 'cranked' torch, but other than that I don't have anything.  Like Lynn I really don't see them having a huge advantage over a good set of batteries, the added bulk/effort required puts them at a disadvantage for me.

What I would have liked was one of the original Trevor Baylis 'wind up' radios, not quite the same as a hand cranked generator type; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind-up_radio#Windup_radio
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:50:16 AM
I have one 'cranked' radio which used to see a lot of use at work, and my daughter has a 'cranked' torch, but other than that I don't have anything.  Like Lynn I really don't see them having a huge advantage over a good set of batteries, the added bulk/effort required puts them at a disadvantage for me.

What I would have liked was one of the original Trevor Baylis 'wind up' radios, not quite the same as a hand cranked generator type; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind-up_radio#Windup_radio

I have one of these, in original box and as new except for a broken aerial (that's a "get a replacement from Maplins" job). If you would like to make some sort of trade please let me know m8  :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 12:01:13 PM
I have/had a few torches

Some work with a crank, others with you squeezing them. They all had batteries too. One was really cheap and broke easily. LIDL has some decent ones that seem to last longer.

I also have a LIDL Lantern with a crank but it also has internal recheargeable batteries, so I rarely bother with the crank. It has several LEDs (old technology ones) and is not very bright but works for a long time.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 05:30:18 PM

I have one of these, in original box and as new except for a broken aerial (that's a "get a replacement from Maplins" job). If you would like to make some sort of trade please let me know m8  :)

:tu:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 09:59:26 PM

I have that exact same Eton model I love it.  The crank feels like a selling feature, but I suppose could be used. 

I have a different radio model with solar charing and its awesome.  In regular daylight the solar power is enough to power the radio with no batteries at all even installed.  So Id vote for solar cells over crank power.

This one.

(Image removed from quote.)

The solar panel on mine does not charge enough to maintain the radio. It will run flat even in full sun. If I would leave it outside for a day, I get a few hours radio charge out of it.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

:tu:

seems I have a Baygen radio on the way. :cheers:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 06:38:25 PM

This one.

(Image removed from quote.)

The solar panel on mine does not charge enough to maintain the radio. It will run flat even in full sun. If I would leave it outside for a day, I get a few hours radio charge out of it.

The rechargeable battery is pretty garbage.  The test I did was to remove the battery and turn it on without.  It was able to play the local AM station fine in normal daylight.  I didnt test this for long though so maybe I got lucky.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 12:39:45 PM
I think hand cranks seem a little gimmicky nowadays. My inner nerd really likes the look of the BioLite products, though. Then you get enough energy to recharge hungry devices like cell phones while getting something hot to drink or eat. :)

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 04:26:24 PM
I have been keeping my eye out for a sony hand crank radio but have had no luck. Little job to leave in the car, most models have built in led torch. Something to take to the beach every other year etc etc.

I like the concept of hand-crank but most modern items that have it are not exactly sturdy..
From a prepper perspective I could jury rig hand crank power in minutes so its not exactly a crucial item. Be good if high temp thermoelectric plates where a little more abundant fror home projects

“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 04:54:01 PM
I think hand cranks seem a little gimmicky nowadays. My inner nerd really likes the look of the BioLite products, though. Then you get enough energy to recharge hungry devices like cell phones while getting something hot to drink or eat. :)

I really like the idea of this as well, but have you felt the weight? :o  Not an item I'd like to carry around with me unless I was forced to.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 12:35:16 AM

I really like the idea of this as well, but have you felt the weight? :o  Not an item I'd like to carry around with me unless I was forced to.

I have never handled one of them, and haven't thought to check the weight, so I had no idea they are heavy. Good to know, at least.  :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 03:22:32 AM

I have never handled one of them, and haven't thought to check the weight, so I had no idea they are heavy. Good to know, at least.  :-\

I got to pick one up at a local camping shop and I was pretty taken aback by the weight (and bulk as it happens).  Not that's it is super heavy or anything, but it is 1kg and you'd still need a kettle, pot or whatever as well.  I like the idea, but I'm not sure this is quite the practical answer yet. :-\

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 04:16:27 PM
1kg might be a lot when you are counting grams but by the same token if you are saving on 500ml of flammible liquid, batteries and the solar cell it gets close right???  :think:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 11:47:08 PM
1kg might be a lot when you are counting grams but by the same token if you are saving on 500ml of flammible liquid, batteries and the solar cell it gets close right???  :think:

that might work if you are replacing a spirit burning stove, but as this doesn't do more than contain a fire I'm not sure that it does.  I can build a small fire without bringing anything along (other than some matches anyway :D). 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this thing is totally useless, far from it, I just don't see it being as convenient as it could be.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 05:15:19 AM
isn't the point of biolite stoves etc to burn clean hotter flames from less wood?  :think: (like woodgas or rocket stoves)
Sure I can build build a fire with matches/firesteel/lighter but if I was using thumb-thick wood or smaller i would burn through a lot of it.
If you are in heavily wooded areas it might not be an issue but how much fallen debris are you going to gather without an axe? In scouts we used to have a wood fire all night from dead fallen wood but in hindsight that was a troop of 10+ pyromaniac kids gathering wood and i don't think it scales down  :D
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD