Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tried to get some mod fodder from the airport...

nz Offline RimfireNZ

on: April 08, 2014, 12:10:38 AM
I emailed the airport here in Auckland trying to see if I could get some SAK's for mod fodder (the second hand market here for SAKs is almost non existent). This was the response:

Good morning James

Thanks for your inquiry.  The confiscated knives are destroyed.

:cry: Why?!? What'd the knives do to deserve that fate. They could have gone to a loving home and got chopped up to make awesome frankenstein SAKs!

But seriously, that's a bit disappointing.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Tried to get some mod fodder from the airport...
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:26:26 AM
I have a hard time believing they actually destroy them since there is such a financial gain to be made from confiscated items.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:33:33 AM
I have a hard time believing they actually destroy them since there is such a financial gain to be made from confiscated items.  :think:

I know. I wanted to reply and push the matter a little bit as I can't believe it… but nothing will come of it. It's not like if I said "Whaaat? You're joking?" she'd be like "Oh… you caught us :) here have 12 SAKs".

I just said thanks and left it at that.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:21:48 AM
Yea, not much you can do in that situation.  :(
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:05:44 AM
I don't believe it. Here in the states the airports aren't allowed to make profits from said items but I don't see them just giving them to Auctioneers for nothing. They must receive some form of compensation for the items. Probably worded with some jargon. Acquisition fee or some crap.

Since tons of airport staff steal everything from cameras to guns (not going to say how I know this...not opinion though) the good stuff is pocketed by staff and the rest may be dumped.

But then again here in the states we got a big used market due to TSA confiscations.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 02:23:42 AM
Destroyed  :ahhh
What the HELL!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm sure some one makes a buck there is no way a gem like SAKs or anything of value get DETROYED  :ahhh
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:55:56 PM
Destroyed  :ahhh
What the HELL!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm sure some one makes a buck there is no way a gem like SAKs or anything of value get DETROYED  :ahhh

You should see the things they have at the local metal recycler, hard to believe really. The yards I've been in generally don't salvage, it all gets compacted and shipped away. It's about volume for them. Luckily the guy who runs the one I go most often lets me trade equal weight for things I find, but most of them disallow salvaging. Shame a lot of good old things being melted down for cheap modern junk.  :shrug:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
I'm not sure if I believe their answer, I hope they're  just trying to get rid of you so they said that. I seems like it would be a lot of effort to destroy their confiscated knives. If they do they're spending money to destroy something that they could profit on instead.

nz Offline claws42

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:14:52 PM
I emailed the airport here in Auckland trying to see if I could get some SAK's for mod fodder (the second hand market here for SAKs is almost non existent). This was the response:

Good morning James

Thanks for your inquiry.  The confiscated knives are destroyed.

:cry: Why?!? What'd the knives do to deserve that fate. They could have gone to a loving home and got chopped up to make awesome frankenstein SAKs!

But seriously, that's a bit disappointing.

That's crazy! Christchurch airport is more than happy to donate them. My Wave is thanks to them.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:46:50 PM
That's weird... Maybe I'll try again (might run into someone different that might be willing to help). Good to hear from another kiwi!

nz Offline claws42

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 11:38:32 PM
That's weird... Maybe I'll try again (might run into someone different that might be willing to help). Good to hear from another kiwi!
Good luck! Hopefully was just someone having a bad day rather than all those good MTs and SAKs getting ruined :o

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%