Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Food industry making some SAK tools obsolete?

cbl51 · 51 · 4092

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Food industry making some SAK tools obsolete?
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 02:15:50 AM
The bottle opener on a Vic or Wenger is one of the best light duty pry tools made IMO.  Mine see use in that way every single day at work.  :tu:  As for the can opener, industrial paint colorants still come in sealed cans.  We're one of the few retail paint stores in the area that still deals with industrial products such as aliphatic urethanes, expoxies, etc, so we go through a fair bit of those colorants.  Can opener sees use for that several times a week.  As a small flathead or Phillips the Vic can opener works well, and the Wenger can opener makes for an excellent scraper or GPPT (general purpose pokey thing).  :)  Corkscrew?  :think:  I quit drinking years ago, and even then I don't remember too many times I used a corkscrew.  Then again, all that use could be the reason I can't remember......  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 03:36:59 AM
I havent fed the dogs canned food in weeks as I am using dry dog food(made locally) mixed with boiled scraps.

I havent used the can opener in weeks as we eat fresh.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 03:58:14 AM
The cans I see are also mixed about 50/50.

I imagine that it is more effective to make a twist off deal than the cork top so that is probably why it is moving towards that way!

And yeah, there is alot of ways to open bottles up if one has too! :)

tw Offline error406

Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 04:57:34 AM
Military surplus canned goods here requires a can opener, while the majority of civilian canned goods comes with a pull lid.
Cheap wine (about 10 USD) or less comes with synthetic cork and anything higher than 10 USD wine comes mostly in a wooden cork.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
-Desiderius Erasmus

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 05:35:35 AM
I see a mix of both types of cans, and also a mix of screw-top and standard bottles.  Any decent bottle of wine still comes with a (real wood) cork.  Therefore, I think there is plenty of use left for the can opener, the bottle opener, and the corkscrew.

I do believe Vic would probably remove them if (1) they became entirely obsolete, and (2) more suitable replacement functions could be identified and implemented.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 02:14:25 AM
Chipotle peppers are pull top while stewed tomatoes require a can opener. 
IMG_3728.jpg
* IMG_3728.jpg (Filesize: 157.64 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 04:31:00 PM
About 10 yrs ago we had a huge ice storm and power was out for days.  My buddy's neighbor had to barrow a nonelectric can opener because all she had was an electric one. I'll keep my can opener just in case. 
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 11:22:43 PM
We yesterday got a can of corn from another supermarket then usual. On this brand there is no pull off.
So I took it as an opportunity to test the can opener of my cheapo... It sucks. The rim  totally got jagged. It looked at the beginning not so sharp and after two strokes I demanded another one of RT. I tried the can opener of the climber and the one on his Leatherman. I now know I am unable to use a Vic can opener but the Leatherman is perfect for me.

-----------------------------

Meanwhile...

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:02 PM
We yesterday got a can of corn from another supermarket then usual. On this brand there is no pull off.
So I took it as an opportunity to test the can opener of my cheapo... It sucks. The rim  totally got jagged. It looked at the beginning not so sharp and after two strokes I demanded another one of RT. I tried the can opener of the climber and the one on his Leatherman. I now know I am unable to use a Vic can opener but the Leatherman is perfect for me.

Meanwhile...
:ahhh
How to: Correctly to use Victorinox & Wenger Can Openers.
 :D

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 11:49:47 PM

Meanwhile...
I did it like that, but it was really hard to move forward. It just seems like moving backward is better to handle for me.

Meanwhile...

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 02:40:28 AM
I use the cap lifter on my trekker about once a week, the can opener I use at LEAST once a day....last night I made burritos and opened 5 cans (corn, refried beans, diced tomatoes, red beans and peppers)  and its a lot cleaner than the "communal" can opener that is in the shared kitchen at my apartment.

Wouldn't go anywhere without it.
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 04:39:23 PM
I use the can opener on my Vics very frequently as an orange peeler. I rarely eat canned food so rarely open cans.

I use the bottle opener on any bottle with either a crown top or twist off, since it is easier that way. I also use the screwdriver tip,a lot.

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 04:45:18 PM
I see a mix of both types of cans, and also a mix of screw-top and standard bottles.  Any decent bottle of wine still comes with a (real wood) cork.  Therefore, I think there is plenty of use left for the can opener, the bottle opener, and the corkscrew.

I do believe Vic would probably remove them if (1) they became entirely obsolete, and (2) more suitable replacement functions could be identified and implemented.

It could be a while. I have not seen a string tied package in over a decade yet the package hook remains.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:40 PM

It could be a while. I have not seen a string tied package in over a decade yet the package hook remains.

Yes, Vic is famously conservative, perhaps even to a fault.  The hook does have some other uses besides string-tied packages, though, and then there is the question of a suitable replacement tool...

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 05:28:55 PM
I use the can opener on my Vics very frequently as an orange peeler. I rarely eat canned food so rarely open cans.

I use the bottle opener on any bottle with either a crown top or twist off, since it is easier that way. I also use the screwdriver tip,a lot.

And I thought I was the only one^^ I am unsure whether the normal blade or the can opner works better for me, I could not find a difference last time.

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 09:22:37 PM

And I thought I was the only one^^ I am unsure whether the normal blade or the can opner works better for me, I could not find a difference last time.

The regular knife blade works great as well, but the reason I like the can opener blade is because I like to start by cutting off the ends of an orange, and then I hook the can opener on the cut end and just slice down, following the orange curve, without having to worry about cutting myself or going in too deep.  I only want the cut to go the depth of the skin and pith.  I go all around like this and then just remove the skin sections.

When I was growing up my mom had a Tupperware tool that performed this function.  It was made out of plastic, but disappeared somewhere when we moved.  I never thought of using my SAK for this until I read an SAK pamphlet somewhere that listed the sharpened edge as an orange peeler.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 09:25:30 PM
That's pretty brilliant. Any chance of a video of that? :D I fear that I'd destroy many an orange trying to get that right.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 10:04:48 PM

Yes, Vic is famously conservative, perhaps even to a fault.  The hook does have some other uses besides string-tied packages, though, and then there is the question of a suitable replacement tool...
There are more uses for the hook beside just a string tied packages.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 10:06:57 PM

Meanwhile...
I did it like that, but it was really hard to move forward. It just seems like moving backward is better to handle for me.

Meanwhile...
it just takes practice. The trick is to cut as close to the edge as possible. I point it outwards. Works really well for me :)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 02:07:07 AM
... I read an SAK pamphlet somewhere that listed the sharpened edge as an orange peeler.

:o

:gimme:

:climber:

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:20 AM
big food cans we use on survival and sar missions needs can opener.also most beverages like soda.and good wines will be produced with corkscrew.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%