Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do I need a Swiss Champ?

cbowt · 88 · 9003

us Offline cbowt

Do I need a Swiss Champ?
on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:38 AM
   Hi all,
Figured I would ask this here, as no one else would understand. I have been looking hard at a Swiss Champ, I mean, it's the ultimate SAK right?
    Thing is, I have a Swiss Champion with stay-glow (?) scales and it's down right awesome. Is the Champ that much better, will it kick the Champion out of rotation? Should I bother?
    Love to hear some opinions.

IMG_2606.JPG
* IMG_2606.JPG (Filesize: 286.25 KB)
Life is hard, it's even harder when your stupid!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Do I need a Swiss Champ?
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:18 AM
I have 4 Swisschamps and I traded my very clean Champion Plus to great member here so I'd say yes.  If you already love the Champion then the SC just adds the plier layer so it's not like coming from a Tinker.  Tinker is a great tool btw  :whistle: and the Deluxe Tinker is even better  :tu:

See how I did that?  The plier layer is all that and then some.  You can add your stayglow scales too and have a sweet SC.  I find the pliers to be a great "better than fingers tool".  I believe Lynn called them "super tweezers" and that is very fitting.  Their capability is not to be missed, if you have them and have used them you will know what I'm saying. 

The added size I believe is negligible when coming from the Champion.  I think the SwissChamp is the Champ because it has everything you might need and everything you have already needed.  The inline philips as you know is on both and is excellent. The only real question is older mag glass or newer one.

While you are at it have you got a Minichamp  ;).  Pretty great tool if I say so.  Just kidding go for the SC I don't believe you will look back and say Damn Aloha, Damn Aloha to bits.     
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:42 AM
The only differences are the pliers and the plus scales. So why not take a step further and go for the XLT instead?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:58 AM
  I find the pliers to be a great "better than fingers tool".  I believe Lynn called them "super tweezers" and that is very fitting.  Their capability is not to be missed, if you have them and have used them you will know what I'm saying. 

I completely agree about the pliers. I never use them for "pliers like" uses but rather as "super tweezers" or a "grabber." Every pair of Victorinox pliers I have ever came across are very precise and perform very well in the "super tweezers" role. The Pliers on the Vic's are one of or the most liked Victorinox tool.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:05 AM
Well, regarding SAKs, "size matters". In my opinion the Swisschamp, Cybertool 41 or Swisschamp XLT are the SAKs to get if you are going to have just one for all tasks. I choose the XLT but it might be very big for your hands. So, you could either compare the tools of Swisschamp and Cybertool 41 and decide between the two, or be brave and get their combination, the XLT. With the Swisschamp you'll get the pliers (great for many tasks in electronics, minor repair work, jewellery, modelism etc), or also the Cybertool (need no explanation) or a couple of specialty blades as a bonus.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:45 AM
Want or not want.  There is no "need".

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 01:37:15 PM
Yes.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 02:06:39 PM
Meh. I tried the Swisschamp a few times. Wasn't for me. For the size of the tools, it was too awkward a handle, and much of them didn't get much use. I'm more inclined to carry a Pioneer type knife.

"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 02:14:08 PM
If you're asking the question, then the answer is 'yes'.

The only difference between the champ and your champion is the pliers and plus scales. As Captain Spaulding said, the pliers are better seen as super tweezers. Anything you would normally pinch between your fingers, the SAK pliers can do much better.

I was critical of SAK pliers but now I like them. They're handy.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 03:39:02 PM
I have models with the pliers (Swiss Champ and Hercules) in bags and packs (along with a 93mm ALOX model) because have RA and it's hard for me to use a curved needle to sew heavy materials or use a suture to sew up a cut. The pliers will make a passable needle driver for me.

Thinking outside the box in case I end up in one.... :tu:

ETA: I have Champions as well and along with Explorers are among my favorite cellidor SAKs.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:03:20 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 03:58:21 PM
   Hi all,
Figured I would ask this here, as no one else would understand. I have been looking hard at a Swiss Champ, I mean, it's the ultimate SAK right?
    Thing is, I have a Swiss Champion with stay-glow (?) scales and it's down right awesome. Is the Champ that much better, will it kick the Champion out of rotation? Should I bother?

I like that Champion with stayglo scales - if were up to me I'd stick with that one and use it  :drool:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 04:24:50 PM
If you're asking the question, then the answer is 'yes'.

The only difference between the champ and your champion is the pliers and plus scales. As Captain Spaulding said, the pliers are better seen as super tweezers. Anything you would normally pinch between your fingers, the SAK pliers can do much better.

I was critical of SAK pliers but now I like them. They're handy.

I did say this, but only quoting Lynn. 

I can't take credit for that one.  ;)
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 04:35:52 PM
Vic's pliers work with curved needles on leather perfectly. Also used as tweezers to remove stuck items from narrow places. You can heat a needle, form paper clips, wires, chain links etc

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 06:58:34 PM
   Hi all,
If you're like me you need one just because you don't have one yet. :sak:
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 07:30:27 PM
Not carrying my Camper because I find it too thick, not carrying my Huntsman, because I find it too heavy... and yet I just ordered a Swisschamp  :D
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 07:39:21 PM
Not carrying my Camper because I find it too thick, not carrying my Huntsman, because I find it too heavy... and yet I just ordered a Swisschamp  :D

Funny how that works...but it does! :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 08:25:58 PM
Yes !

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 08:25:58 PM
I don't know of anyone who "needs" a Swiss Champ, although I have one and an old Champion.
IMHO, they are too bulky to carry as an EDC. I prefer the Deluxe Tinker; smaller, lighter and
has the pliers (which I think are a must for a "pocket tool kit". I carry my Deluxe Tinker
as a EDC when I go out, but carry a regular Tinker in my pocket around home just so
I don't have to go for screw drivers, pliers, etc every time I need a tool.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:52 PM
Of course you need SwissChamp, what kinda question is that :facepalm:

:gimme:
swc.JPG
* swc.JPG (Filesize: 73.74 KB)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:54 PM
I say NO, stick with what you have. If you really want an upgrade, buy a CT41 while you still can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121273272628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

ONLY 10 left so act soon.  :climber:
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 08:42:20 PM
Back in '80, I carried a Champion as my sole knife for almost 3 months while traveling/backpacking in Europe...it did everything I asked of it (which was a lot). Now, only carry a Champion or Swiss Champ on trips (or hikes) and usually in a bag or in the glove box.

These days,  it's usually a Pioneer/Farmer/Soldier in a necker sheath and they can handle most things. Occasionally pocketed an Explorer (years ago) and it's a good EDC as well.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:19 PM
I say NO, stick with what you have. If you really want an upgrade, buy a CT41 while you still can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121273272628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

... no mag-glass on CT  :pok:
 :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 08:48:50 PM

Magnifiers are a dime a dozen, Get one of those flat credit card wallet ones and carry that, it works even better!  :twak:
SAW

Offline RedRamage

Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:19 PM
NEED is such a complex word.  I prefer to let my wallet size decide if I really need anything.  :climber:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 10:31:01 PM
Unless you really use the fish scaler/ruler and magnifier, you're better off with a Cybertool 41.  But yes, everyone needs a SwissChamp, but I carry a Cybertool 41 (with Timekeeper scales :D)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 11:03:09 PM
I actually have 2 SwissChamps. One is in the SOS pouch.  AND I have an old Champion.

The SwissChamp goes away on trips with me but daily it's more likely to be something like Explorer or Climber/Wenger Traveller with Hercules and/or Wave in my bag.

But yes, everyone needs a SwissChamp

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 11:28:47 PM
Yes,of course you need a SwissChamp,if only to keep the Plus company!

Oh,and loving the stayglo Plus :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:06 PM
For me it didn't work to go with a lighter SAK. I bought a Harvester and then a Mountaineer after considering the tools I mostly use. But I missed one tool today, another the next day and found myself carrying the XLT everyday (in the bag). So I leave the lighter SAKs at home, except my Minichamp.
I agree with Sawman. The pliers is a great tool but the Cybertool even more. But that brings another player in the field. You can keep your Champion and get pliers and bit holder in a Multitool, such as a Wave, Charge or Spirit Plus. How's that?

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 11:52:02 PM

Magnifiers are a dime a dozen, Get one of those flat credit card wallet ones and carry that, it works even better!  :twak:
got that one, acctually two >:D (just in case ), one in wallet btw :whistle:
But there is no sach magnifier as SAK mag is  :tu:

Contest  :D

card-mag  ::)

SwissChamp-mag  8)

players :)

;)

And the Winner iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis ... :think:

:climber:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 11:58:17 PM
Depends on what tools are important to you I guess.  I do use the pliers often so I always carry a SAK with one. jI also use the scale pen quite a bit. On a swiss champ the only tools I have never used are the wood saw and fish scaler, so I would remove those 2 layers from a champ to form the best EDC SAK for me. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68