Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice wanted on what's available for UK EDC.

tosh · 38 · 2761

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Advice wanted on what's available for UK EDC.
on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:54 PM
For some strange reason I suddenly quite fancy a simple pocket knife - I don't want either Wenger or Victorinox.

Nor do I want a pointed blade - I hate pointed blades.
I fancy a smallish non locking folder with either a stout Sheepsfoot/Wharncliffe style PE  blade or something very similar.
Scales ideally would be ebony or horn.
I'd be keen to know what's out there between the Rough Riders and the Case's.

Any suggestions?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Advice wanted on what's available for UK EDC.
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:04 PM
Try Sheffield's famous shop for some ideas. Try to get  stainless steel blade. Also Queen, SRM, buck, some of the Frost German brands etc. Check the slip joint thread here for ideas as well as the other threads in the edged sub forum.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:05 PM
Good suggestions, dks. :tu: 

And of course the UK Legal Carry Thread.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:30 PM
Try Sheffield's famous shop for some ideas. Try to get  stainless steel blade. Also Queen, SRM, buck, some of the Frost German brands etc. Check the slip joint thread here for ideas as well as the other threads in the edged sub forum.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

I went to Sheffield Famous Shop a few years ago. Honestly I walked out empty handed. Most if not all that I  tried were poor, very poor. Fit and finish, lateral blade play etc etc.
The ones that were/are trading on Sheffields past history were frankly appalling. I haven't been back since.

I quite fancy a closer look at Queen, GEC, Case.

Can anyone give me some other brand names to check out.

In an ideal world I would love to find a genuine vintage Sheffield pocket knife. Its ironic that I live in Sheffield but yet cannot for the life of me find any real vintage Sheffield knives.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:29 PM
I haven't got one myself but I've heard good things about Trevor Ablett knives;

http://www.steelcitycutlery.com/pocketknife.html

Over on the BCUK bushcraft site a couple of members sing his praises;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58202&highlight=ablett

I've no connection to TA and I can't see why on earth you'd want anything other than a SAK!  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Yalius

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:13:34 AM
Take a look at this one.

Lansky world legal knife

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:03 PM
Check out the case swayback jack.
In the Uk i mostly carried a case peanut, which i still do..and some other slipjoints like the medium stockman, canoe, and jack.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:31:39 PM
Check out the case swayback jack.
In the Uk i mostly carried a case peanut, which i still do..and some other slipjoints like the medium stockman, canoe, and jack.

Very very nice :drool:

The blade is about as pointed as I would want to get. I'd prefer either sheepsfoot/lambsfoot pattern but alas I can find nothing that hits the spot.

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:10 PM
Yeah, the SBJ gets a lot of praise, it is a nice model. But it ain't very big..

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10:18 PM
Check out the Case 3137, the Sodbuster Jr.  Blade's under 3", and it's a great slicer that feels very good in the hand.  In carbon steel (look for the CV after the pattern #), it takes a  :o edge.  You can shave with the sucker......  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:19:01 PM
Tosh,take a look at the China Bucks. Nice traditional slippies,good quality for £25ish.

Case are   :drool: ,but pound for pound Rough Riders are damn hard to beat!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 11:21:43 PM
Tosh,take a look at the China Bucks. Nice traditional slippies,good quality for £25ish.

I hate to say it, but Kirky's right.  Wow, that sounds odd.....  :think:  ;)  A Buck 371 Stockman, 373 Trio, or 385 Muskrat makes an excellent UK legal carry that won't break the bank.  As for RR's, I'm very partial to their Barlows as carry knives.  :tu:

And if they don't work out for you, just remember whose fault it is.....  ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 07:15:32 AM

I hate to say it, but Kirky's right.  Wow, that sounds odd.....  :think:  ;)  A Buck 371 Stockman, 373 Trio, or 385 Muskrat makes an excellent UK legal carry that won't break the bank.  As for RR's, I'm very partial to their Barlows as carry knives.  :tu:

Funnily enough I keep adding the Buck Canoe model to my HH basket :facepalm: but then walking away - I will probably buy it, it looks great. But I know its not the "one" so I'll still be searching  if that makes sense.

The Barlows, Muskrat and Stockman's all have pointed blades, so they're out. And there is no way I'm buying the crap that's been churned out by so called knife makers here in Sheffield (unless its Stan Shaw's work  :drool:)

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 03:08:29 PM
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 03:18:28 PM

Funnily enough I keep adding the Buck Canoe model to my HH basket :facepalm: but then walking away - I will probably buy it, it looks great. But I know its not the "one" so I'll still be searching  if that makes sense.

The Barlows, Muskrat and Stockman's all have pointed blades, so they're out. And there is no way I'm buying the crap that's been churned out by so called knife makers here in Sheffield (unless its Stan Shaw's work  :drool:)

Tosh,have a look at Taylor's Eye Whitness. I got one in a giveaway from Neil not long after joining the forum. It's a Warnie/Sheepsfoot,holds a great edge,with good snap from the backspring. Fit and finish may not be as good as a RR,but it will do anything you ask off a knife
http://www.uk-legal-knives.com/taylors-eye-witness-lambfoot-pocket-knife-hardwood-handle-762-p.asp

http://www.uk-legal-knives.com/taylors-eye-witness-lambfoot-pen-pocket-knife-hardwood-handle-759-p.asp
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 05:40:04 PM
Thanks to everyone's contribution on this.

The reason for not wanting a pointed blade is that I would like to edc a simple folder, that will not cause alarm. My guess is that either a lambfoot/sheepfoot pattern would be viewed by most onlookers as being relatively safe and not dangerous.

Both the Colts/RoughRiders seem well up to the job, but at the minute I'm struggling to find a simple single bladed model.

I'm not interested in any of the current offerings from Sheffield knifemakers. I've both read and handled a few to realise they are simply trying to cash in on Sheffield past heritage and fill the gap when Stan Shaw is no more.

I'd love to get an authentic Sheffield pocket knife, a real McCoy so to speak.

The Case Whaler model does look nice too. But its not hitting the "spot" - I'm sure when I see the right one I'll know.

Something elegant, slim but yet strong enough to rely upon.  :think:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 06:39:59 PM
Take a look at the Soddie.

The Jr is the right size for EDC, the full-size is a bit large for pocket carry IMO.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:13 AM
How about RR's Half Hawk knives. They do unfortunately have two blades. It comes eith atleast four different handle materials.
http://www.discountcutlery.net/RR1284-Rough-Rider-Coal-Miner-Half-Hawk-Pocket-Knife_p_48321.html

no Offline Grathr

Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 07:59:41 AM
Here are some more knives.
I knew I had seen several knives with different non poiny blades somewhere.
Commerciol was the place.
I have no Idea of the quality of the knives though. The knives I have ordered from them has been of varying quality. Some great, most OK, and one bad. The Ciol knife I got from them did not have great finish, but great fit, rock solid and razor sharp.

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/CIOL1517

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/944.1500.15

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/relvas

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/CIOL1904

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:14:39 AM by Grathr »

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 10:19:26 AM
Have you taken a look at the Spyderco Pingo Pin? Very non threatening, almost "cute"

Not at all like the more traditional options listed here.

Here it is in one of my setups:

Sent from... Where am I, anyway?

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:15 AM

The Jr is the right size for EDC, the full-size is a bit large for pocket carry IMO.

I do actually like it, but the blade is excessively pointed for me - but I not going to rule it out. It looks to be a very practical edc knife :tu:

I have no Idea of the quality of the knives though. The knives I have ordered from them has been of varying quality. Some great, most OK, and one bad. The Ciol knife I got from them did not have great finish, but great fit, rock solid and razor sharp.

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/CIOL1517

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/944.1500.15

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/relvas

http://www.commerciol.com/epages/ea1248.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ea1248/Products/CIOL1904

Okay, I love the blade pattern and the simple ergonomics of the handle........but the very cheap price is setting alarm bells off??? Theres got to be a reason why its so cheap  :facepalm:

Have you taken a look at the Spyderco Pingo Pin? Very non threatening, almost "cute"

(Image removed from quote.)

The spydies are very nice, my favourite would be the rescue salt junior. But I'm pretty certain they are locking. The pingo looks great for  bag carry but the sheer bulk of it would certainly felt if edc'd on a daily basis.

The search goes on.... :salute:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:11:58 AM by tosh »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 09:18:04 AM
I had really fancied a Pingo for a long time....the thing that ultimately killed it for me was seeing one in the flesh...its massive! :ahhh Even though it's not pointy,I'd still rate it as not being people friendly!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:25 AM
I had really fancied a Pingo for a long time....the thing that ultimately killed it for me was seeing one in the flesh...its massive! :ahhh Even though it's not pointy,I'd still rate it as not being people friendly!

I felt that way about the ukpk hence why I carry a grasshoper,

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:13 AM
I quite like these. The Tekut is China built, but then so are the Colts and RR's. Really like the bottom one, except for the silly anchor  :facepalm: ugh!!

* tekut_mk5008b.jpg (Filesize: 2.67 KB)
67eb4ae990e0e4a54920c91f693191cf.jpg
* 67eb4ae990e0e4a54920c91f693191cf.jpg (Filesize: 16.58 KB)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:22:16 AM by tosh »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 05:41:05 PM

I do actually like it, but the blade is excessively pointed for me - but I not going to rule it out. It looks to be a very practical edc knife :tu:

Okay, I love the blade pattern and the simple ergonomics of the handle........but the very cheap price is setting alarm bells off??? Theres got to be a reason why its so cheap  :facepalm:

The spydies are very nice, my favourite would be the rescue salt junior. But I'm pretty certain they are locking. The pingo looks great for  bag carry but the sheer bulk of it would certainly felt if edc'd on a daily basis.

The search goes on.... :salute:

If the price is too low Id be happy to sell one to you at triple the price :D

My impression of the knives I have bought is that they are solid users and not lookers though. So if you are picky about the finish they probably arent for you. ;)

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 06:47:34 PM

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:38 PM
EKA

http://www.eka-knivar.se/en/

That would be almost perfect if it were not for the pointed blade.
The blade must have a blunt tip, hence the lambfoot/sheepsfoot pattern.
Still, I bet that's a great knife  :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 07:33:27 PM
They have some more styles, so have a look. I think most are locking though.
The backsprings on them are very strong.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 07:39:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, why does it have to be blunt?

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 07:55:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, why does it have to be blunt?

live from Nate's mobile

I'm after a good simple pocket knife that I can edc daily. So that includes work, home, soSmurfpillsing etc etc. This then brings certain problems. First off is the bulk and weight. Its easy to carry anything whilst wearing snickers at work. Wearing jeans it becomes much more of an issue, I know because I tried both the Vic Explorer and the Gerber Balance. I found myself leaving them both at home or in the car when not at work.
The blade issue really is just that.......an issue.
At work no one would bat an eyelid if I were carrying a Surge, fixed blade or even a machete. But outside work its a totally different story I need to know that whatever is pulled out of my pockets will not cause alarm  from those nearby, almost ALL pointed blades would cause alarm in public here in the UK. However I think  if the tip were blunt it makes it look a lot less threatening or that's what I'm hoping.

So, my parameters are:

Slim/lightweight
Non locking
Sheepsfoot/lambfoot pattern
And superb quality to last a lifetime

Easy eh!!! :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%