Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help with new phone

es Offline Sparkydave

Help with new phone
on: April 17, 2014, 03:04:05 AM
Well after some scum bag stealing my bag with phone in it i'm now after a new one. Had a iphone 5 and currently using my old s3. As much as i loved my iPhone especially the looks of it i'm a bit of a gadget freak and would love to try something new. So thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Help with new phone
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:52 AM
I wanted to try something new too, and am trying out a Windows 8 Phone.  I went my an HTC One, to an iPhone 5, and now trying a Samsung Ativ with Windows Phone 8.1.  It's quite different, but I actually really like it so far.  The live tiles are pretty cool, and I think even in early beta stage, Cortana is better than Siri.

If I like it enough, I'm going to sell my iPhone and buy a Nokia Lumia 1020.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:12:37 AM
For Android, the 2 latest phones are the HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5.

If you wish to wait, you could see what iPhone 6 is like.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:54:53 AM
Eight core phones seem to be in fashion now.

I am happy with Lenovo.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:34 AM
I think I will wait till i can get an s5 here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:36:31 AM
You know, on just about any other forum this thread would turn into a fanboy flamewar.

But here we can have a civilized exchange of views.  That's what I love about this place

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:52 AM
Oh and if you like big phones the note 4 should be coming out soon.

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:53:37 AM
Gonna be a year before I can pick up a s5 on contract. You still can't get a 5S here so think I'm going with either a Note3 or Galaxy S4

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:32:40 PM
When I had my HTC One, my wife had an S4.  I much prefered the One over the S4.  The S4 is a good phone, but I hated how cheap it felt in the hand. 

I'd compare the HTC One to Victorinox for F&F, and the S4 to a Gerber; get's the job done, just doesn't feel as nice doing it.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:18:29 AM
I pretty much love my (Google) LG Nexus 4. It's the best phone I've owned. Lots of horsepower in both CPU and ram dept. My only minor concerns/wishes are that it has no external microSD slot, nor is the battery user replaceable (not easily anyways, I probably could do it) and the camera is not that fantastic. There's also the back glass that seems to break for a lot of people. My niece killed her Nexus 4 within a few months of owning it by dropping it, but she's a bit clumsy with her phones, and that's how the last 2 (Samsung Galaxy2s) also died. Otherwise it's great. I think the Nexus 5 is probably an even better phone if the 4 is anything to go by.

I was hoping that Motorola's Moto X would launch here as well, but didn't thus why I got my N4 (and shortly after I got it the N5 launched...  :ahhh ).
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 02:39:44 PM
I'm not sure why, and it's completely stupid, but I'm sorta naturally turned off by Samsungs...

I am immensely enjoying my new Sony Z1 Compact, though, and hey, waterproof, that's good ;)

I think they're coming out with the new Z2 now, if you like a bigger one ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:29:59 PM
My latest phone (S3) is working hard to turn me off Samsung.  After the last major update many of the phone functions still don't work.  For example, I can't dial a number unless I use Voice Command.  Every time I hit the phone button to bring up the keypad it says "I can't do that Dave" and goes back to the Home Screen.  Otherwise I really like the phone.

I am sure why, and it's completely justified, but I'm sorta naturally turned off by Sony.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 03:54:46 PM
My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Core. It was the one she felt most comfortable in the demo units at our local electronics superstore (they actually are powered on and functional minus calling, vs the dummy units at most cell stores). It seems like a decent phone and she's had no issues even after installing the one minor update it's received so far.

I suspect Grant yours needs a factory reset to sort out your glitch. I may have mentioned that before.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 05:00:09 PM
S5 or htc for me.  Can accomodate more than 100 gb of external micro sd card.
I love android phones! :tu:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 06:55:10 PM
Well, I'm Apple minded. Got a MacBook, AirPort Extreme and two Expresses, iPad mini. Would be weird if I didn't have an iPhone. Waiting for the 6 to come out…

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 09:26:37 PM
My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Core. It was the one she felt most comfortable in the demo units at our local electronics superstore (they actually are powered on and functional minus calling, vs the dummy units at most cell stores). It seems like a decent phone and she's had no issues even after installing the one minor update it's received so far.

I suspect Grant yours needs a factory reset to sort out your glitch. I may have mentioned that before.

Yes, you have and I will eventually.  At the moment the inconvenience of the glitch is outweighed by the unavailable time needed to back it up, perform the hard reset then restore everything.

As for the Mac stuff, that has been a problem lately too.  Apparently Apple has changed their iCal software to some other new thing which means they can't share calendar items with anyone who doesn't have an iCloud account.  Since our business is very much on the fly we often schedule things on the go and coordinate with everyone else in the company by sending calendar invites.  My boss' iphone could never accept invitations sent from Google Calendar, but now it also refuses to send invites to anyone who doesn't have an iCloud account.  Yes it's possible that I could switch from Android to Apple and therefore be uniform in the company, but that doesn't take into account the contractors, clients and other people that we also send calendar invites to.  You can't force everyone to conform, no matter what Apple thinks.   :twak:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 09:32:40 PM
You can use Google Calendar on your iPhone though…

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 09:52:20 PM
Ive been rocking a galaxy s3 for quite awhile now.  I needed replaceable batteries based on how I use my phone, so I have an external battery charger and 3 batteries and its worked out perfect for me. 

The nexus looked decent but the built in only battery was a deal breaker for me. 

The only thing that interests me for an upgrade would be to the new galaxy note.  I like big phones.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 02:10:45 AM

The proper iPhone user wouldn't stoop so low... :P

Def

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Help with new phone
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 05:29:03 AM

The proper iPhone user wouldn't stoop so low... :P

Def

I don't either, but it is possible…

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 06:00:35 AM
I've been an android user for 4 years and decided to try iPhone for a bit and see what all the fuss was about. There's a lot I like about the iPhone that may have me switch perminatly. Android for power plain and simple, they are so much like a computer in functionality it's crazy, especially with root privileges. iPhone for me so far seems to do what I want without lag or freezing etc, plus all the exclusive apps is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD