Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Style Discontinued

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Leatherman Style Discontinued
Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 03:16:02 AM
Leatherman should make an MTO panel.  With all the mods, and fantastic ideas that come up here, I can pretty much guarantee they'd end up with happier customers in the end.  Happy customers mean better sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Leatherman Style Discontinued
Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 03:18:57 AM
Leatherman should make an MTO panel.  With all the mods, and fantastic ideas that come up here, I can pretty much guarantee they'd end up with happier customers in the end.  Happy customers mean better sales.

Recently I've bought a lot of LM's and in my experience their QC has improved. That's a great effort but it's past time to start fixing some apparent flaws and put the damn Rebar pliers on the Wave already...
 :multi:
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 03:20:29 AM
I bet they will next year. Gives them a chance to sell there rebars and new surges.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 03:24:20 AM
I bet they will next year. Gives them a chance to sell there rebars and new surges.

live from Nate's mobile
Could it be they're afraid if they do it now that might hurt Rebar sales? I would hate for that to happen  ::)
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 03:29:17 AM

Recently I've bought a lot of LM's and in my experience their QC has improved. That's a great effort but it's past time to start fixing some apparent flaws and put the damn Rebar pliers on the Wave already...
I'm really glad to hear that the QC has improved!!!  I don't think anyone here has been overly happy with how the QC has been from them lately, so hearing this makes me happy! 

When I hear the name "Leatherman", I think quality, tough, user friendly tools.  I think they strayed away from that too much, and they really need to go back to their roots, creating tools that are meant to get jobs done, and be able to continue doing jobs for many years to come.

Folks here really know what they want in a tool, and it's wise for companies like LM to read up here, and follow what we have to say.  When we have folks like Metro, that amaze us with what they come up with for ideas, and how much most here love the changes/additions they add, it's smart for them to implement some of it.

I've had lots of Cuban rum tonight, so this may not even make sense, but I hope it does. :D

us Offline sawman

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 03:33:12 AM

I'm really glad to hear that the QC has improved!!!  I don't think anyone here has been overly happy with how the QC has been from them lately, so hearing this makes me happy! 

When I hear the name "Leatherman", I think quality, tough, user friendly tools.  I think they strayed away from that too much, and they really need to go back to their roots, creating tools that are meant to get jobs done, and be able to continue doing jobs for many years to come.

Folks here really know what they want in a tool, and it's wise for companies like LM to read up here, and follow what we have to say.  When we have folks like Metro, that amaze us with what they come up with for ideas, and how much most here love the changes/additions they add, it's smart for them to implement some of it.

I've had lots of Cuban rum tonight, so this may not even make sense, but I hope it does. :D

Makes perfect sense to me, and I don't drink :) While I think things are going well at LM, they do some things that concern me from time to time like producing surfboard tools and shorten blades on their Juice models when the U.S. doesn't even care (NO knives on planes! :td: )...
SAW

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:37 AM
I'm not a fan of the Style, but I do love my Style CS!!

From the commentary the Style CS seems pretty popular. I'd like to see LM improve on it by adding a thicker double-ground blade and wider file.

Agreed... I hate that damn chisel-ground blade... especially with the nail nick in such a poor location! :rant:

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 06:57:00 AM

From the commentary the Style CS seems pretty popular. I'd like to see LM improve on it by adding a thicker double-ground blade and wider file.

Agreed... I hate that damn chisel-ground blade... especially with the nail nick in such a poor location! :rant:

Since the Skeletool blade is as thick as a congressman's head, I like having a thinner blade in the CS for more delicate work.  I also don't have a problem with a chisel ground blade, especially in a tool this small.  I think the blade could be a smidge longer (why put a 2" long slot for a 1.5" blade?  It's happening more and more).  The nail nick should be moved down the blade a bit.

The file absolutely should not get any wider, otherwise it wouldn't work well for recessed screws. Also, the tweezers would no longer fit. And where I'm from, you need tweezers.  Splinters grow on trees around here.

If you want a wider file, buy a Micra.  Otherwise, I think they got it pretty much right. Except the name.  Style, Style CS and Style PS.  I'm kinda glad they called them the Wingman and Sidekick, not the Wingman Sp2 and Wingman Sk2 or something.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline sawman

Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 01:58:52 PM

Since the Skeletool blade is as thick as a congressman's head, I like having a thinner blade in the CS for more delicate work.  I also don't have a problem with a chisel ground blade, especially in a tool this small.  I think the blade could be a smidge longer (why put a 2" long slot for a 1.5" blade?  It's happening more and more).  The nail nick should be moved down the blade a bit.

The file absolutely should not get any wider, otherwise it wouldn't work well for recessed screws. Also, the tweezers would no longer fit. And where I'm from, you need tweezers.  Splinters grow on trees around here.

If you want a wider file, buy a Micra.  Otherwise, I think they got it pretty much right. Except the name.  Style, Style CS and Style PS.  I'm kinda glad they called them the Wingman and Sidekick, not the Wingman Sp2 and Wingman Sk2 or something.
They've also improved the Style CS a bit since first production. I notice on the new ones the scissors are sprung tighter for a better opening. I agree on the nail nick needing to be further down and as for the file I suppose you're right about needing room for the tweezers. :)
SAW

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 02:10:47 PM

They already do pick up on ideas from here. For instance the Style PS was designed and made on MTO before Leatherman ever had plans on doing them. They then borrowed the idea. ;)

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22370.msg413207.html#msg413207

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 04:51:02 PM
That is true. :salute:

Also, in regards to the nail nick discussion, when the Style was first introduced at the Shot Show it had a cut out in the blade that was a lot more user friendly. But by the time it hit the marketplace the 1HO cut out had been replaced with a 2HO nail nick. ::)

cut out blade on left, nail nick blade on right
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 05:03:38 PM
Cheers for putting up that picture Bob, it saved me a lot of searching around for it. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 12:15:46 AM
  May I ask what exactly that bother you folks in regards to the chisel ground blades? Is it the sharpening or is it something regarding the using of the blade?

I ask that cause I have a P4 and a Micra and I really like the blades on them.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 05:46:45 AM
  May I ask what exactly that bother you folks in regards to the chisel ground blades? Is it the sharpening or is it something regarding the using of the blade?

I ask that cause I have a P4 and a Micra and I really like the blades on them.
in theory they are not very good for straight slices through material and are a  cheaper less premium grind. In some kitchen knives automatically  slicing away from your fingers is made possible using this grind.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 02:25:21 AM
RIP, how many people actually have a Style? :think:
Leatherman

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 02:37:32 AM
RIP, how many people actually have a Style? :think:

I had lite 10 of them but gave most away to friends and am left with one.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 02:48:03 AM
I do.  :B:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 02:48:08 AM
I always thought the style looked like half a tool.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 03:06:08 AM
I would've carried a Style for a while, in place of a Classic, if it had been half the thickness (it's rather thick for what little there is, and if I could've actually have opened either the nail file or small blade....

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:24 AM
I might just carry my Style tomorrow since you all hate it so much. It's actually a good little tool in my opinion.  :shrug:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 09:44:49 AM
It is just bigger than it needs to be, comparing to Vic Classic.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 10:42:02 AM
It is just bigger than it needs to be, comparing to Vic Classic.

I disagree. Not trying to argue or anything like that, but in my opinion it's not bigger than it needs to be. Quite small actually. Just my opinion though.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 12:19:58 PM
My issue with it, other than the difficulty in getting the blade out, and don't get me started on the nail file, is this. I found it too small for my big fingers to operate with any comfort.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 12:22:38 PM
Everyone send all your unwanted Styles to me.  :D
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:09 PM
Decided to carry my Style today in tribute to this fallen MT. :salute:

:)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 09:01:08 PM
Decided to carry my Style today in tribute to this fallen MT. :salute:

:)

Good decision.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline nelson

Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 11:05:11 PM
Sorry to see the Style go personally, I've had one on my keychain for a long time and it's been really handy.

Will LM replace it, or are they out of the small keychain penknife business?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:56 PM
Sorry to see the Style go personally, I've had one on my keychain for a long time and it's been really handy.

I doubt they are out of the keychain tool business as I assume they make quite a lot of money in that department. There keychain tools are affordable and probably get bought as gifts quite often. I wouldn't be surprised if there keychain/pocket tools tools make up 30%-40% of there income.

I sure hope they have some new keychain tools planned for next year.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #58 on: April 24, 2014, 02:31:35 AM

I doubt they are out of the keychain tool business as I assume they make quite a lot of money in that department. There keychain tools are affordable and probably get bought as gifts quite often. I wouldn't be surprised if there keychain/pocket tools tools make up 30%-40% of there income.

A new Squirt??? :think:
Leatherman

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: April 24, 2014, 02:49:41 AM

A new Squirt??? :think:

I really hope so. Maybe a Micra II. I would kiss a horses ass for a keychain/Juice sized Wave or Rebar.  :D
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD